PDA

View Full Version : Skeleton of Western man found in ancient Mongolian tomb

Liffrea
01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
DNA from 2,000-year-old skeleton may put Indo-Europeans in East Asia.

Dead men can indeed tell tales, but they speak in a whispered double helix.

Consider an older gentleman whose skeleton lay in one of more than 200 tombs recently excavated at a 2,000-year-old cemetery in western Mongolia, near China’s northern border. DNA extracted from this man’s bones pegs him as a descendant of Europeans or western Asians. Yet he still assumed a prominent position in ancient Mongolia’s Xiongnu Empire, say geneticist Kyung-Yong Kim of Chung-Ang University in Seoul, South Korea, and his colleagues.

On the basis of previous excavations and descriptions in ancient Chinese texts, researchers suspect that the Xiongnu Empire — which ruled a vast territory in and around Mongolia from 209 B.C. to A.D. 93 — included ethnically and linguistically diverse nomadic tribes. The Xiongnu Empire once ruled the major trading route known as the Asian Silk Road, opening it to both Western and Chinese influences.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/55811/title/Skeleton_of_Western_man_found_in_ancient_Mongolian _tomb

Agrippa
01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
I think its save from what we know to call him an Indoeuropean renegade who supported his new masters/allies in exchange for keeping or even lifting his social status.

Technology was transfer even then I might add, because that Central Asia and most of Siberia became lost to Europids/Indoeuropeans was the result of the Mongoloids adopting the Indoeuropean way of life and warfar in a very effective and efficient way.

Osweo
01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I think its save from what we know to call him an Indoeuropean renegade who supported his new masters/allies in exchange for keeping or even lifting his social status.
Or is it the familiar story of being too successful for your own good?

The Conquerors of the Steppe were able to travel too far, and conquer too many foreign peoples, perhaps? The process was far from finished even in Mongolia in Temujin's day. :chin: