PDA

View Full Version : Smokers at Risk from Their Own 'Second-Hand' Smoke

Liffrea
01-30-2010, 04:27 PM
It is well known that smokers damage their health by directly inhaling cigarette smoke. Now, research published in BioMed Central's open access journal Environmental Health has shown that they are at additional risk from breathing environmental tobacco smoke, contrary to the prevailing assumption that such risks would be negligible in comparison to those incurred by actually smoking.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100129082914.htm

Hrimskegg
01-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Takes a drag from his pipe. Makes sense to me.

Grumpy Cat
01-30-2010, 09:11 PM
*lights up another smoke*

The Lawspeaker
01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
"lights up another 30 miligram tar kretek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kretek)"

Murphy
01-30-2010, 11:09 PM
We fucking get it, smoking is bad for you. You can all hear my death hacks at Skype.

Regards,
The Papist.

Grumpy Cat
01-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Smoking takes years off your life... but those are the ones at the end where you'd be out of your mind and wearing adult diapers, anyways. I'd rather die before I get that old, thank you very much.

Lars
01-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Smokers should pay their hospital bill themselves for smoking related illnesses. Fat people are cheaper for the health care system than smokers, though both groups tend to be morons.

Murphy
01-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Smokers should pay their hospital bill themselves for smoking related illnesses. Fat people are cheaper for the health care system than smokers, though both groups tend to be morons.

I am a smoker and a fat person.

Regards,
The Papist.

Guapo
01-31-2010, 01:10 AM
People will often come up to me and tell me, "Smoking can kill you, you know?" I promptly reply with some smartass remark like "Really? THANK you for telling me!" Yeah, Sherlocks. I'm too stupid and illiterate to read the warning on the pack, let alone understand it.

I have a hectic and inundated life, and I'd like to take a break from it all to enjoy the relief that the cigarette can bring to me. The last thing I need is for yet another self-appointed pickle-up-his/her-ass Samaritan coming near me to tell me what I'm doing to my body, or why they object to me puffing around. It's not like I'm going up to them and telling them, "Excuse me, sir, could you please go elsewhere, you're in my smoking space." I'd really love to do that though, I don't think that they're even worthy of breathing my 2nd hand smoke.

A single drive to work puts out more deadly fumes and toxins in the air, than a smoker could possibly do in one year. If you drive a car, your car puts out more deadly poisons and toxins in one drive to work than my smoking does in a year. When you go home again, that's another year. So in a couple months, you've created more deadly toxins in the environment than my smoking will in a lifetime. But it's always easier to point fingers at other people, isn't it?

When was the last time you heard this one: "He went to the bar after work, had one smoke too many and went home and beat the crap out of his wife and kids?" Or "That auto accident was caused by someone who smoked one too many? (we're talking about tobacco here)."

http://www.utterpants.co.uk/images/ciglabel.jpg

Fortis in Arduis
01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
I recently started smoking roll ups with clove powder. Nice.

I always smoke outside though, even when it's -2 and snowing. :)