PDA

View Full Version : 3 Years on Apricity and I have failed as a Classifier

iNird
05-31-2014, 06:58 PM
I go into the supermarket that I have been going for a few years and there is a lady there who I assumed was Bosnian. Standard dinarid type but struck me as Bosnian for some reason.

Anyways I would always make small talk with her but I never asked about her ethnicity. Today she overhears me speaking in Albanian and she looks surprised and said she thought I was Bosnian lol. Turns out she was an Albanian from Montenegro (specifically Tuzi.)

So we mistook each other from Bosnian.

But I should have known better.

i failed.

:(

Rudel
05-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Yesterday I saw a black man and mistook him for a Spaniard.

Zmey Gorynych
05-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Shame on you!

iNird
05-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Yesterday I saw a black man and mistook him for a Spaniard.

I feel a little better after reading this.

Ianus
05-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Don't worry, you will survive to this trauma

Stefan_Dusan
05-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Well if it makes you feel better, in line for Panera, I see tall guy who I knew was Serb. I even remarked to my friends he was Serbian 100%. They kind of roll eyes at me. So when he sat down and eat by himself, I approach him and begin speaking in Serbian.

He gives me utter shocked look, so I switch to English and ask where he is from. He responds in surprised but perfect Anglo-accent "I beg your pardon" and it was very awkward moment. I mistook some Anglo guy for Serbian xD

Tacitus
05-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Hand in your TA card, bro.

Drawing-slim
05-31-2014, 07:19 PM
At classifying I suck but guessing people's ethnicities I'm way good. I often surprise people IRL.

iNird
Well if it makes you feel better, in line for Panera, I see tall guy who I knew was Serb. I even remarked to my friends he was Serbian 100%. They kind of roll eyes at me. So when he sat down and eat by himself, I approach him and begin speaking in Serbian.

He gives me utter shocked look, so I switch to English and ask where he is from. He responds in surprised but perfect Anglo-accent "I beg your pardon" and it was very awkward moment. I mistook some Anglo guy for Serbian xD

lol you're one crazy guy to just randomly speak to people and ask where they are from.

Since I am repenting, I also mistook this Czech girl for Bosnian a few weeks ago at the gym. I guess I have no clue what bosnians look like lol.

The Illyrian Warrior
Happens to me also, I've mistaken Bosniaks with Serbs plenty of times. :p

KrashNick
05-31-2014, 07:21 PM
what a shame :p

Stefan_Dusan
05-31-2014, 07:21 PM
lol you're one crazy guy to just randomly speak to people and ask where they are from.

I guessed 2 Serbians this way, and one Albanian couple at the airport. Though I heard them speak Albanian. They kept looking at me, like if they were wondering if I was listening so I blurt out with a big smile: "You're Albanians are you!"

And the older woman goes "Yes, how did you know? Are you Albanian" and I laugh and say I'm Serbian. This made things very hilarious awkward and they did not speak to me or each other until we boarded.

Pjeter Pan
05-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Why didn't you just ask her. I asked this guy in my school if he was from the Balkans turns out he's a Serb

iNird
05-31-2014, 07:23 PM
Why didn't you just ask her. I asked this guy in my school if he was from the Balkans turns out he's a Serb

Because her name on the tag was "Mina" so I just assumed it was short for Emina a typical Muslim name. Turns out she was an Catholic Albanian. So i was off on religion as well

Besides I don't ask everyone about their ethnicity because most of the time I don't really care.

Hadouken
05-31-2014, 07:23 PM
:(

iNird
05-31-2014, 07:25 PM
I guessed 2 Serbians this way, and one Albanian couple at the airport. Though I heard them speak Albanian. They kept looking at me, like if they were wondering if I was listening so I blurt out with a big smile: "You're Albanians are you!"

And the older woman goes "Yes, how did you know? Are you Albanian" and I laugh and say I'm Serbian. This made things very hilarious awkward and they did not speak to me or each other until we boarded.

TBH there is not much to say afterwards. If it was me I would have asked about which area to make small talk and that's about it.

Drawing-slim
05-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Because her name on the tag was "Mina" so I just assumed it was short for Emina a typical Muslim name. Turns out she was an Catholic Albanian. So i was off as well.

Besides I don't ask everyone about their ethnicity because most of the time I don't really care.
I don't ask people either anymore, I use to though. I usually like to play mind games now since I know people from the Balkans are very eager to know and I can see them wondering guessing me. So sometimes I pretend to not have the slightest interest at knowing where they're from. I make it some sort of patience contest:P

iNird
05-31-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't ask people either anymore, I use to though. I usually like to play mind games now since I know people from the Balkans are very eager to know and I can see them wondering guessing me. So sometimes I pretend to not have the slightest interest at knowing where they're from. I make it some sort of patience contest:P

Typical poker mentality. :D

Stefan_Dusan
05-31-2014, 07:32 PM
TBH there is not much to say afterwards. If it was me I would have asked about which area to make small talk and that's about it.

In houston, an Albanian valet driver was parking my friend's (Ukrainian, blonde baltid as fuck) car and he just randomly asked him if he was Serbian (not me, my Ukrainian friend), my Ukrainian friend proudly screams, no Ukrainian and the valet driver says he's Albanian from Shkodra. So now I'm itching at my opportunity shout to him to guess where I am from.

And the Albanian guy looks puzzled and guesses Greece! I make him guess some more where says Bulgarian, Albanian. Finally I say I'm Serbian from Kosovo and the Albanian guy goes "oh shit" and then he asks me if everything is calm there xD

ALSh
05-31-2014, 07:34 PM
U have stayed 3 fucking years and haven't leant anything. Loki is so dissappointed of u.

iNird
05-31-2014, 07:36 PM
In houston, an Albanian valet driver was parking my friend's (Ukrainian, blonde baltid as fuck) car and he just randomly asked him if he was Serbian (not me, my Ukrainian friend), my Ukrainian friend proudly screams, no Ukrainian and the valet driver says he's Albanian from Shkodra. So now I'm itching at my opportunity shout to him to guess where I am from.

And the Albanian guy looks puzzled and guesses Greece! I make him guess some more where says Bulgarian, Albanian. Finally I say I'm Serbian from Kosovo and the Albanian guy goes "oh shit" and then he asks me if everything is calm there xD

Maybe it's because I was raised mainly in the US but I never feel uncomfortable if I find out someone is Serbian (I barely ever encounter macedonians.) I guess i view the US as neutral territory so I don't see the issue.

iNird
05-31-2014, 07:37 PM
U have stayed 3 fucking years and haven't leant anything. Loki is so dissappointed of u.

Loki I can handle. It's kastrioti I am worried about.

:p

Styrian Mujo
05-31-2014, 07:37 PM

Since I am repenting, I also mistook this Czech girl for Bosnian a few weeks ago at the gym. I guess I have no clue what bosnians look like lol.

Bosniaks can be anything from Nord-Indid to Brunn and Borreby and everything in between.

Dombra
05-31-2014, 07:38 PM
One has to disconnect classifying when guessing ethnicities or else hell brakes loose!

Pjeter Pan
05-31-2014, 07:38 PM

You have nothing to worry since you have a Norid brother.

ALSh
05-31-2014, 07:40 PM

Thanks God u are Nordid so he with his wise heart will forgive this huge mistake u did.

Styrian Mujo
05-31-2014, 07:45 PM

I have never seen a Serb who looks Anglo nor would I mistake an Anglo for a Serb unless I have an idealized notion of how Serbs look like...unless the Anglo was swarthy you can't be excused for your mistake as a member of the Apricity.

armenianbodyhair
05-31-2014, 07:45 PM
I saw the most albo looking guy working at the Greek festival a while ago...a huge Norid beast of a man. I would have said something to him in Albanian if I were drunker but then if he was actually Greek that would have been all bad...

Stefan_Dusan
05-31-2014, 07:46 PM
I have never seen a Serb who looks Anglo nor would I mistake an Anglo for a Serb unless I have an idealized notion of how Serbs look like...unless the Anglo was swarthy you can't be excused for your mistake as a member of the Apricity.

He was a tall, borreby type.

Pjeter Pan
05-31-2014, 07:48 PM
I saw the most albo looking guy working at the Greek festival a while ago...a huge Norid beast of a man. I would have said something to him in Albanian if I were drunker but then if he was actually Greek that would have been all bad...
I think kastrioti finally found you

iNird
05-31-2014, 07:57 PM

LOL

armenianbodyhair
05-31-2014, 08:12 PM

No, this guy was working at a Greek festival. I have a feeling Kastrioti would rather die. Plus this guy was mid 30s. Inb4 arvanite.

Drawing-slim
05-31-2014, 08:25 PM
No, this guy was working at a Greek festival. I have a feeling Kastrioti would rather die. Plus this guy was mid 30s. Inb4 arvanite.

That's how a pro hit man deceives his targets..
Wait and see what he has in store for Bruce lee:D

Mark
05-31-2014, 08:34 PM
At classifying I suck but guessing people's ethnicities I'm way good. I often surprise people IRL.

I'm also pretty good with guessing ethnicites. I was with some people last night and one person I guessed as Italian/German and was right. As far as classifying, I will only do this with people I vibe with or that sort or 'get it', in that they can at least see the humor with it. But where I live, it's easy to classify the women as most have some CM.

The Illyrian Warrior
05-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Heck brother not everyone is Agrippa here, just in case you were wondering why you suck at guessifying people, rare are those who posses some sort of 6th sense to know ethnicity of each individual they first met.

Azalea
05-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Haha I do the same a lot of the times.

armenianbodyhair
05-31-2014, 08:39 PM
That's how a pro hit man deceives his targets..
Wait and see what he has in store for Bruce lee:D

Well if his job was to make me a nice coffee, mission accomplished. He also kept his cover well, he didn't call me a gypsy or orientalid once in the whole 3 minutes.

Virtuous
05-31-2014, 08:48 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself. You fail me, ZHAOYUN.

I DISOWN YOU.

iNird
05-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Heck brother not everyone is Agrippa here, just in case you were wondering why you suck at guessifying people, rare are those who posses some sort of 6th sense to know ethnicity of each individual they first met.

I know this thread isn't that serious. It's just that I saw/knew her for a year or two and I was determined she was Bosnian.

Dzihadovic
05-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Bosniaks can be Nord-Indid

You take that back.

Balmung
06-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Here people normally guess you based on the popularity, population density, or stereotype they have of a specific group. If you're dark but you're white, you must be Italian. Tall & blue eyed as me? You must be German. First thing everytime.....German, followed by Irish, & Dutch.

Pjeter Pan
06-01-2014, 02:38 AM
Well if his job was to make me a nice coffee, mission accomplished. He also kept his cover well, he didn't call me a gypsy or orientalid once in the whole 3 minutes.
That's what he wanted you to think, but really he was there to abduct Greeks girls and take you on a date.

1stLightHorse
06-01-2014, 03:02 AM
I love how these Balkanites are so interested in guessing each other and finding out about each other, in the hope of finding some common things or making a brand new enemy. :D :heartbea::heartbea:

Skerdilaid
06-01-2014, 03:13 AM
I wish I could say the same, but I am never wrong in guessing Balkanites:p

Vojnik
06-01-2014, 03:25 AM

How embarrassing. I had the same problem here in Australia. An Italian guy came up to me and started talking to me in Italian. I just stared at him. lol

armenianbodyhair
06-01-2014, 03:55 AM
That's what he wanted you to think, but really he was there to abduct Greeks girls and take you on a date.

Idk about the first part but besides vasa and mines I don't think blonde guys are that great

Pjeter Pan
06-01-2014, 03:59 AM
Idk about the first part but besides vasa and mines I don't think blonde guys are that great
Well no one knows how kastrioti looks, so don't knock it until you try it.

armenianbodyhair
06-01-2014, 04:08 AM
Well no one knows how kastrioti looks, so don't knock it until you try it.

I don't have to try shooting myself in the head to know I don't want to do it...

Stefan_Dusan
06-01-2014, 04:12 AM
I wish I could say the same, but I am never wrong in guessing Balkanites:p

I haven't had anyone guess me correctly off guesses…..If I knew this I would have registered apricity nationless and have you guess ;)

Skerdilaid
06-01-2014, 04:49 AM
I haven't had anyone guess me correctly off guesses…..If I knew this I would have registered apricity nationless and have you guess ;)

I would have guessed you Serbs in the first instance, if I saw you in real life. Pictures sometimes can give you the wrong impression.

Stefan_Dusan
06-01-2014, 04:54 AM
I would have guessed you Serbs in the first instance, if I saw you in real life. Pictures sometimes can give you the wrong impression.

But you never saw me other than pictures :D

Skerdilaid
06-01-2014, 04:57 AM
But you never saw me other than pictures :D

I know, but that's why I said, if I did I would have never mistaken you for something else. When I saw you in the video you looked very Serb from Kosova to me. Pictures showed you sometimes different. I would have guessed you as Greek or even Bulgarian, if you were shorter, but your height combined with your phenotype sort of sets your place, and leaves no room for a mistake in my book.

Stefan_Dusan
06-01-2014, 05:01 AM
I know, but that's why I said, if I did I would have never mistaken you for something else. When I saw you in the video you looked very Serb from Kosova to me. Pictures showed you sometimes different. I would have guessed you as Greek or even Bulgarian, if you were shorter, but your height combined with your phenotype sort of sets your place, and leave no room for a mistake in my book.

It's actually good point, I assume anyone tall with certain look is a Serb.

iNird
06-01-2014, 05:13 AM
A serb is basically a mixture of an Albanian and a Russian. Add some height and wallah you have a Serb. Nothing to it.

armenianbodyhair
06-01-2014, 05:15 AM
A serb is basically a mixture of an Albanian and a Russian. Add some height and wallah you have a Serb. Nothing to it.

Everyone needs to shut up about how tall they are...

iNird
06-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Everyone needs to shut up about how tall they are...

I'm far from tall (a little under 6 feet) but I do admit Serbs are tall on average.

Serbs that are short are of Vllah ancestry.

armenianbodyhair
06-01-2014, 05:21 AM
I'm far from tall (a little under 6 feet) but I do admit Serbs are tall on average.

Lol that would explain it guess

Skerdilaid
06-01-2014, 05:30 AM

I think it's he opposite. They get their height from Vlahs of Herz and Monte.

Stefan_Dusan
06-01-2014, 05:33 AM
I think it's he opposite. They get their height from Vlahs of Herz and Monte.

lol calling them Vlahs :D

The true Vlahs of Serbia are from east, and they are not particularly tall. The mountain chain I guess had some sort of evolutionary pressure on height.

Skerdilaid
06-01-2014, 05:35 AM
lol calling them Vlahs :D

The true Vlahs of Serbia are from east, and they are not particularly tall. The mountain chain I guess had some sort of evolutionary pressure on height.

That's what they are in majority :D

Vlahs of the plains of Kosova are short too, hence I mentioned those two places.

Stefan_Dusan
06-01-2014, 05:38 AM
That's what they are in majority :D

Vlahs of the plains of Kosova are short too, hence I mentioned those two places.

I know a lot of Serbs of Obilic, and they are blonde, blue eyed, very slavic looking, but at same time very short and small people. Like you can fit in your hand. I do not know how else to explain it.

Skerdilaid
06-01-2014, 05:41 AM
I know a lot of Serbs of Obilic, and they are blonde, blue eyed, very slavic looking, but at same time very short and small people. Like you can fit in your hand. I do not know how else to explain it.

I know what you mean, as I have seen most of them, from the village of Vodica all they way to Obilic, but they are not actually blond in majority but more on the darker side. To be honest that is how I imagined the old Serbs to have looked. I have seen similar look among Serbs of Gjilan and Suhareka, especially the old folk.

Edit, and they do show their Baltid side in phenotype.

Stefan_Dusan
06-01-2014, 05:45 AM
I know what you mean, as I have seen most of them, from the village of Vodica all they way to Obilic, but they are not actually blond in majority but more on the darker side. To be honest that is how I imagined the old Serbs to have looked. I have seen similar look among Serbs of Gjilan and Suhareka, especially the old folk.

They are old slavs of Kosovo, not really Serbian, but now identify as Serbian due to reality is my personal opinion. They are good people in may ways, hard working. This mess hit them the hardest in a way they had no involvement but whatever they will find another plain to farm away xD

Skerdilaid
06-01-2014, 05:47 AM
They are old slavs of Kosovo, not really Serbian, but now identify as Serbian due to reality is my personal opinion. They are good people in may ways, hard working. This mess hit them the hardest in a way they had no involvement but whatever they will find another plain to farm away xD

Here is an example, the old men shaking Thaci's hand ;):

http://mkk-ks.org/repository/images/04_06_09_39500_gurethemeli3.jpg

Stefan_Dusan
06-01-2014, 05:52 AM
Here is an example, the old men shaking Thaci's hand ;):

http://mkk-ks.org/repository/images/04_06_09_39500_gurethemeli3.jpg

Yes, they are really small, all of them. I remember taking bus and a couple man and woman got on. Really short. I was in fact behaving like gypsy and laying on aisle on bus because seats didn't offer me leg room. When they got on I asked them in Serbian, but in very crude and really offensive way, what village is this (it sounds more abrasive in Serbian almost like what fucking shithole is this place). And he looks at me, brunette and green eyes, with his wife blonde and blue eyes looking at me icy and asks me if I'm "Macedonian" xD

Styrian Mujo
06-01-2014, 07:12 AM
You take that back.
At my school we have two brothers who are not only Bosniak but also half Slovene and they pretty much look like north indids they could be very tanned Mediterranids or are hiding gypsy ancestry either way they seem to be very dark (light brown skin) I will try to find photos.

Casandrinos
06-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I once guessed a Lithuanian girl as Russian at the beach.

I never imagined that it would be such a big mistake :icon_cry: