PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider Romanians Latins?

TheForeigner
06-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Are the Romanians a real Latin people? I know this is important for most Romanians, although not for me. I also know a lot of western latins don't consider romanians similar or related to them and consider romanians only related by language, if they even know that. Do non-romanians consider romanians latin or not because of orthodox christianity,different history,cultural traditions and customs and even east or southeast european geography.

Rudel
06-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Yes. Romanians suffer from a lack of recognition due to have been cut off from the rest of the Latin continuum by Slavs, but they're Latin.

Han Cholo
06-05-2014, 10:56 PM
I consider them the last remaining Eastern Latins. I don't think most people look that though.

Comte Arnau
06-05-2014, 10:58 PM
That depends. I once met two Romanians. One was from Sibiu, with a Hungarian surname and Central European tastes. The other was from Ias,i and showed me some good Moldavian wines. Clearly a more Latin specimen. ;)

Peyrol
06-05-2014, 11:00 PM
I live side by side with 70,000 of them, i see them daily...

latins?....yes and not at the same time...no because they've obvious and evident slavic influence, yes because they still keep a romance languages (after pannonic and dalmatian extinction, the last surviving balkano-romance language) and they're proud of their romanic roots.

Dictator
Yes.

Vasconcelos
No, I consider them Slavs despite speaking a Latin language. It's a misinformed opinion, since I've never even met one, but there you go.