PDA

View Full Version : Welsh could become a minority in Wales as English set sights west

Graham
06-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Welsh could become a minority in Wales as English set sights west (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/wales/10878554/Welsh-could-become-a-minority-in-Wales-as-English-set-sights-west.html)

THE TELEGRAPH 5 JUNE 2014Welsh people could become a minority in Wales in around 70 years if the number of people from England and other parts of Britain settling there continues at the current rate, a new analysis of official figures suggests.

People from elsewhere in the UK already account for almost 22 per cent of the population of Wales, with the vast majority of the new arrivals coming from England, figures published by the Office for National Statistics show.

It is more than eight times the equivalent figure for England, where only 2.7 per cent of the population is made up from people born in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Meanwhile only round one in 10 people currently living in Scotland and one in 20 in Northern Ireland originally came from other parts of the UK.

And the total number of people from elsewhere in Britain living in Wales has increased by 17 per cent in the last 20 years. Of the new arrivals, 95 per cent are from England.

When overseas migrants are also included, the Welsh-born population of Wales slipped from 75 per cent to 72 per cent in the last decade.

It suggests that were the decline to continue at the same rate, Welsh-born residents could account for less than half the population by the mid-2080s.

The dramatically higher proportion of people from elsewhere in the UK settling in Wales is also reflected in findings on national identity from the 2011 census.

Despite a passionate Welsh national feeling, reflected in everything from sport to politics and language, Wales could be described as the most “British” part of the UK.

When people were asked in the census how they would describe their national identity, 83 per cent of those living in Scotland said they were "Scottish" – or a combination of "Scottish" and "British" or some other nationality – and 70 per cent of those south of the border said they were "English".

By contrast only 66 per cent of those living in Wales described themselves as "Welsh" in some form.

It suggests that national feeling in Scotland on the eve of the independence referendum is 25 per cent higher than national feeling in Wales.

Wales, by contrast, emerges as less nationalistic overall than England.

Significantly the number of Welsh people living in England is almost as high as the number of English people in Wales – 507,000 compared with 636,000 – but account for a much smaller overall proportion of the population of England.

Jonathan Edwards, the Plaid Cymru MP for Carmarthen East, said the beauty of the Welsh landscape was undoubtedly a lure and inward migration was something Wales should welcome - if it meant that the new arrivals included younger people as well as those retiring.

“Wales has a twin challenge, our young people tend to move away to other economic opportunities but then of course older people tend to move to Wales to retire,” he said.

“It is obviously a very beautiful part of the British Isles and one which is not that far away from the major conurbations of the Midlands and South of England.

“It is the quality of life, I think, that Wales provides, which is the attraction but the challenge for policymakers is how to you turn those natural advantages that we have in Wales, the landscape, the beauty of the environment, into economic advantages.”

The figures, published as part of an ONS project to collate comparative statistics for the four countries of the UK ahead of the Scottish referendum, also show marked social and economic differences between different parts of Britain.

They include population projections showing that England, already by far the most densely populated part of the UK, will experience growth at almost twice the rate of the rest of the country in the next 25 years.

The figures also show a dramatic economic imbalance between London and the South East of England and the rest of the UK, with productivity in the capital far outstripping the rest of the country.

Yet proportionally smaller amounts of taxpayers’ money are spent in England than elsewhere. Scots receive £1,623 per head more in public spending than their English counterparts. Meanwhile Northern Ireland has the highest public spending per head at the equivalent of £10,876 a year for each person.

Catkin
06-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Bloody immigrants

:P

Graham
06-05-2014, 09:17 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/05/1401974846396_wps_37_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/05/1401974849023_wps_39_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/05/1401974852688_wps_41_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/05/1401974859285_wps_43_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg

LightHouse89
06-05-2014, 09:24 PM
a sad day. Irish disappears, old Scottish I am sure is not that popular now Welsh.....good by Celts. :picard1:

Peikko
06-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Nice demographic projections. It's the North European story. Future tax payer:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQyZiv9MCeI_sxXYbcvK66luVmZIPSh 2rcX_kK4eQ5vXDffx27

meralodem
06-05-2014, 09:39 PM
The indicator shows that Scotland is back behind other 3 countries

Caismeachd
06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
The indicator shows that Scotland is back behind other 3 countries

Scotland is a small country. It's always been under 5 million people. It works well this way.

Hong Key
06-05-2014, 10:24 PM
I assume the English are running away from the colored hordes of London?
Free Wales, Power to the Celts.

Catkin
06-05-2014, 10:25 PM

No one is holding them hostage.

Harrow
06-05-2014, 10:27 PM

Free them from what?

LightHouse89
06-06-2014, 02:54 AM
Free them from what?

the future sharia law in London maybe?

Tooting Carmen
06-06-2014, 03:17 AM
Indeed, all the retired people and students in particular mean that the English population is much higher in Wales - given its closeness to the Midlands and the South - than in Scotland or either part of Ireland.

The Lawspeaker
06-06-2014, 03:20 AM
Maybe Wales should become independent ?

armenianbodyhair
06-06-2014, 03:37 AM
Hide yo wives, hide yo sheep

Hong Key
06-06-2014, 03:38 AM
I don't want to see the Welsh blended out of existence. You do?

What happens when an Welshman and an Englishwomen hump? You get White people but no more Welsh. Not good but better then a Welshwomen and a dude with an afro of course.

All this talk about diversity yet no one is interested at all in preserving White population groups.

Catkin
06-06-2014, 06:28 AM
I don't want see the Welsh blended existence. You do?

What happens when an Welshman and an Englishwomen hump? You get White people but no more Welsh. Not good but better then a Welshwomen and a dude with an afro of course.

All this talk about diversity yet no one interested at all in preserving White population groups.

But what would you propose? Close the borders between the countries of the UK, deport people back to the UK country of their ancestors and put restrictions barring inter-marriage between us? It's not realistic. Individual cultures should be preserved where possible and it's a shame when they get diluted or lost, but mixing between the very genetically and culturally similar British Isles populations is inevitable and has always happened. Most people will have some blood from another of the countries at some point in their background.

The reduction in the proportion of Welsh people in Wales is also just as much due to the Welsh leaving Wales for England as it is the English moving to Wales:

Significantly the number of Welsh people living in England is almost as high as the number of English people in Wales – 507,000 compared with 636,000 – but account for a much smaller overall proportion of the population of England.

I believe the figures show there are also more Scots living in England than there are English in Scotland. England's larger population absorbs these numbers so they still make up only a small proportion in England. However, the smaller populations of Wales and Scotland also mean that proportionally the number of their citizens choosing to live in England is far far higher than the proportion of English people who live in either Wales or Scotland.

It's hardly an invasion by hordes of English that is causing the population shift. To regain Wales' 'Welshness' you would as much need to get the Welsh to return from England as you would the English from Wales.

Catkin
06-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Just seen this in the Similar Threads box below:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?72806-Relocate-to-Wales-and-get-a-tax-break-Welsh-Assembly-planning-to-lure-English-to-boost-economy

Seems the mixing is being encouraged, by the Welsh.

Anglojew
06-06-2014, 06:59 AM
A little like the Celts were driven west by the Anglo-Saxon invasions, the Anglo-Saxons are being driven west by cultural enrichment.

Breedingvariety
06-06-2014, 07:20 AM
All major cities of England are becoming increasingly non English. London isn't English anymore. Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds are becoming non English in few decades.

Graham
06-06-2014, 09:23 PM
In all honestly I'd be happy for a large English, Welsh or Irish movement to Scotland. We could have close to 100% of incomers from these areas & I'd be happy. Would rather have an Englishman or Irishman as a neighbour than any other nationality

As long as the Welsh identity is intact it's fine. The people of Britain have mingled for thousands of years. Cultural identity comes first.

Neon Knight
06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
The Welsh want to be Germanic :)

Seriously, in 15 years' time when the 25% non-white junior school kids have grown up, Welsh mixing with English will not seem like a problem.

Comte Arnau
06-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Sad. They'll experience what we did here in the past century. I hope at least they manage to keep their language and identity too.

Yaroslav
06-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Expel Anglo-Saxons back to Gotland.

Neon Knight
06-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Sad. They'll experience what we did here in the past century. I hope at least they manage to keep their language and identity too.Don't be too romantic about Welsh culture: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116670/Grand-slammed-Carnage-streets-Cardiff-Wales-parties-celebrate-rugby-teams-big-win.html :)

Comte Arnau
06-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Don't be too romantic about Welsh culture: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116670/Grand-slammed-Carnage-streets-Cardiff-Wales-parties-celebrate-rugby-teams-big-win.html :)

And I thought Brit girls only dressed like that when they came to Salou. :D

Smaug
06-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Sad, very sad. If we all cooperate, we can avoid it. Keeping Welsh culture and language alive is very important. I speak Welsh, so I know that at least as long as I live the language and the culture it represents will be alive.

Smaug
06-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Don't be too romantic about Welsh culture: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116670/Grand-slammed-Carnage-streets-Cardiff-Wales-parties-celebrate-rugby-teams-big-win.html :)

Wow! Kill all the Welsh!

Graham
06-10-2014, 06:03 PM

That was how I remember Cardiff. Wild weekends even by Brit standards.