PDA

View Full Version : The Mental Tragedy

Anthropos
02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
The thread is dedicated to the mental tragedy of the West.

Antiislamisation - an offshoot of Antipathy, Ignorance and Xenophobia or fear of the unknown - harvests many victims in the West, and here is the account of one of them:

TAMPA - The priest was lost in the Channel District and needed directions to Interstate 275, so he tapped a U.S. Marines reservist on the arm and, in a thick Greek accent, asked for help.

That's how police say the incident began.

But Lance Cpl. Jasen Bruce said the man, who was wearing a robe, sandals and a long beard, propositioned him in English and grabbed his genitals.

Both versions of events end the same way – with the priest recovering from a beating with a tire iron, the Marine reservist under arrest and police investigating a possible hate crime.

The Rev. Alexios Marakis, visiting from Greece, had performed a blessing of a retired Greek priest in the West Shore area before accidentally exiting I-275 into downtown Monday evening, police said. Marakis followed cars into the Seaport Channelside Apartments on Twiggs Street and got out to ask for help.

Bruce, a reservist with a West Palm Beach unit since March, had his trunk open so he could get dry cleaning out, police said. Bruce, who lives in the apartment building, was not in uniform.

Bruce grabbed a tire iron from the trunk, hit Marakis four times over the head and chased him about three blocks before pinning the priest, police said.

In a 911 call, Bruce made a derogatory comment about a man he said was a terrorist and was trying to rob him and had grabbed him in a sexual manner, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.

When officers arrived, police say, Bruce told them he heard the man say "Allahu Akbar" – Arabic for "God is great."

"That's what they say before they blow you up," Bruce said, according to police.

But at a news conference today, Bruce's attorney said his client didn't understand what Marakis said.

"Lance Cpl. Bruce defended himself with the full legality of the law for being sexually attacked and potentially robbed," lawyer Jeffrey Brown said.

Bruce, 28, faces a charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. He was released on $7,500 bail.

McElroy said Bruce "teared up when we told him that (Marakis) was a Greek Orthodox priest and not a terrorist."

Marakis, 29, was treated at Tampa General Hospital and released. He told investigators he's visiting St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Tarpon Springs.

Marakis declined to comment today, saying he does not speak much English. The Rev. Michael Eaccarino of St. Nicholas said Marakis is doing well.

Before deciding whether the incident qualifies as a hate crime, police will determine whether Bruce's motive was based on a belief that Marakis was Arabic.

The Marines Reserve will wait for the investigation to conclude before taking any action, an official said.

In 2007, Bruce was accused of pushing a tow truck driver in the back and chest when his Jaguar was about to be towed, records show. Bruce told police the truck driver had grabbed him to stop him getting in his car.

Bruce pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery, records show. Adjudication was withheld.

Tribune reporter José Patiño Girona and News Channel 8 reporter Peter Bernard contributed to this report. Reporter Josh Poltilove can be reached at (813) 259-7691.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/nov/10/102259/tampa-police-marine-reservist-attacks-visiting-gre/

Filed under 'weird'.

Allenson
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I find self-absorption and a genreal lack of awareness of one's surroundings to be one the biggest social pathologies going these days.

I'm contantly amazed at the people that I see, day to day, who pay no attention to the world around them and instead, march along with self-handicapped faculties & senses.

Eldritch
02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
The Mental Tragedy is not that there are some idiots who are dumb enough to mistake a Greek priest for an Arab terrorist (although that is bad enough); the real tragedy is the complete (and quite inexplicable) Dhimmitude of the Evangelical Lutheran church. It's enough to make you think they are some kind of an Apocalyptic death cult.

The Ripper
02-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Isn't all protestantism... ;)

Poltergeist
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
The Mental Tragedy is not that there are some idiots who are dumb enough to mistake a Greek priest for an Arab terrorist (although that is bad enough);

It is a tragedy that there are too many of such people whose minds are so easily malleable by the mediatic images.

the real tragedy is the complete (and quite inexplicable) Dhimmitude of the Evangelical Lutheran church. It's enough to make you think they are some kind of an Apocalyptic death cult.

How is their supposed dhimmitude concretely manifested? You are referring to the Lutheran Church in Finland only, or in general?

Eldritch
02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
How is their supposed dhimmitude concretely manifested? You are referring to the Lutheran Church in Finland only, or in general?

I am mostly referring to the Lutheran church in this country. Although I do have a feeling it's not very different elsewhere, but I can't say I have an entirely coherent picture of the situation -- mainly anecdotal bits and pieces.

I never was a real believer at heart anyway, but I've lost my faith in the Church as even a social and political force now, too. But if you disagree, please let me know why I should feel differently. I am of course wiling to consider the possibility that else where in Europe things may be different.

Poltergeist
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I am mostly referring to the Lutheran church in this country. Although I do have a feeling it's not very different elsewhere, but I can't say I have an entirely coherent picture of the situation -- mainly anecdotal bits and pieces.

I never was a real believer at heart anyway, but I've lost my faith in the Church as even a social and political force now, too. But if you disagree, please let me know why I should feel differently. I am of course wiling to consider the possibility that else where in Europe things may be different.

It was not my disagreement, nor agreement, just a question of what this supposed dhimmitude of the Church in the Finnish case means, how is it practiced, manifested? A question of someone who knows very little or nothing about Finland, addressed to a Finn.

The Ripper
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
It was not my disagreement, nor agreement, just a question of what this supposed dhimmitude of the Church in the Finnish case means, how is it practiced, manifested? A question of someone who knows very little or nothing about Finland, addressed to a Finn.

Well the Church is extremely liberal and has given up on anything as backwards as "principles". Gay marriage, female priesthood, etc. It is not as bad as in Sweden where they have a lesbian bishop, but its moving in that direction. It has become a "secular church" imo. One that has in the place of the gospels some kind of PC Moralism.

There is of course the Luther foundation...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fi/d/db/Suomenluthersaatio_logo.png

They are traditionalists.

http://www.luthersaatio.fi/paasivut/what-is-the-luther-foundation-finland.html

Poltergeist
02-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Well the Church is extremely liberal and has given up on anything as backwards as "principles". Gay marriage, female priesthood, etc. It is not as bad as in Sweden where they have a lesbian bishop, but its moving in that direction. It has become a "secular church" imo. One that has in the place of the gospels some kind of PC Moralism.

All of this refers to ultra-modernism, ultra-liberalism, but dhimmitude has a very specific meaning, namely, the submission to some Islamic structure. My question was about that.

Eldritch
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
All of this refers to ultra-modernism, ultra-liberalism, but dhimmitude has a very specific meaning, namely, the submission to some Islamic structure. My question was about that.

Well, they are always singing the praises of Islam in their weekly newspaper and parroting age-old cliches about how multiculturalism "enriches society".

They also encourage people to break the law by hiding African and Middle Eastern criminals who face deportation in their own homes.

anonymaus
02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Well, they are always singing the praises of Islam in their weekly newspaper and parroting age-old cliches about how multiculturalism "enriches society".

They also encourage people to break the law by hiding African and Middle Eastern criminals who face deportation in their own homes.

The revelatory nature of science and reason have forced the old Gods into common purpose: mutually re-enforcing the delusions of their own relevance.

The Ripper
02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
The revelatory nature of science and reason have forced the old Gods into common purpose: mutually re-enforcing the delusions of their own relevance.

What would you have in the place of religion then?

anonymaus
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
What would you have in the place of religion then?

I'd be completely comfortable in a world lacking superstition of all kinds.

The Ripper
02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I'd be completely comfortable in a world lacking superstition of all kinds.

I doubt it. ;)