PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Life in the Multiverse

Liffrea
02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Could our universe be just one among countess universes that emerged from the same primordial vacuum? And if so... could other universes be inhabited by life? In a recent article, theorists from Florida State University and the Weizmann Institute discussed these questions and the answers that physics may hold.

http://www.astrobio.net/pressrelease/3375/looking-for-life-in-the-multiverse

Northern_Paladin
02-04-2010, 06:35 PM
It's all Speculation until we actually have the means to Prove otherwise. Our Technology just isn't up to that Level yet, or may it ever be.

Given the Vast distances of Space. A Space Ship traveling at Light Speed is still like a Snail Crawling Across a Football Field.

Loki
02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
It's a bit pointless speculating about life in other possible universes ... since our own, current, known universe almost certainly contains very many lifeforms we are not aware of.

Liffrea
02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Loki
It's a bit pointless speculating about life in other possible universes ... since our own, current, known universe almost certainly contains very many lifeforms we are not aware of.

Speculation is the very fuel of science.;)

Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
Our Technology just isn't up to that Level yet, or may it ever be.

Probably never, there are theories about FTL travel but all posit we would need to harness pretty much the entire known energy of the universe to do so……I don’t hold out much hope there. As for dimensional planes (if they exist) well where to start?

I believe life to be fairly common, indeed Mars and Europa are good candidates for it or the previous existence of it, outside Earth in our own system, but I believe intelligence (defined by a human standard) to be extremely rare. I don’t expect humanity to encounter Vorlons or the like, not soon, probably never.

Klärchen
02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Who knows? ;) Nothing is impossible, and why shouldn't there be forms of life that are completely different from us? We cannot imagine that life can exist beyond certains limits of temperature for instance, but even some bacteria are able to survive under very hard conditions. I won't give up my hope that I will meet E.T. some time. :D

Northern_Paladin
02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd rather not Encounter Super Advanced Aliens. :p I don't even look forward to Encountering the more Advanced of our Species.:coffee:

Liffrea
02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Klärchen
Who knows?

Nobody, unless you believe people are being abducted and sexually abused by two foot tall, strangely human looking, creatures…….personally I don’t, not least because the chances of encountering any true alien as a humanoid are probably about as good as me being the first man on Mars. Humanoids are, undoubtedly, an Earth parochial….

Originally Posted by Northern_Paladin
I'd rather not Encounter Super Advanced Aliens.

Probably wise. Leaving aside just how alien a real alien would be, how about one a thousand years ahead of us? The mind boggles at the thought…..that’s being optimistic and believing that a species survives that long. I’m less than optimistic humans will be here in a millennia from now, and if they are.....well they probably won't be "human" at all, unless we've really stagnated.

Northern_Paladin
02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
In 1,000 Years even the Average man will be considered a Genius by today's Standards.

Phil75231
02-05-2010, 02:53 AM
I think our galaxy has advanced civilizations, but they're few and far between. We probably can't even see the star they're living around, even with more powerful telescopes. So no cosmopolitan Star Trek or Star Wars universe. Planetary Serengetis or Jurassic worlds may be fairly common, though. In short, fascinating for biologists but disappointing for Marco Polo types.

Psychonaut
02-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I'm willing to bet that if extraterrestrial life is discovered any time in the next century, it'll be under the surface of Europa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_%28moon%29).