PDA

View Full Version : 'It's easier to grow grapes in PH than in US, Europe'

The Lawspeaker
06-12-2014, 09:05 AM
'It's easier to grow grapes in PH than in US, Europe' (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/05/15/13/its-easier-grow-grapes-ph-us-europe)

By Karen Flores, ABS-CBNnews.com

Posted at 05/15/2013 11:04 AM | Updated as of 05/15/2013 11:18 AM

MANILA, Philippines – While most Filipinos think that it is impossible to grow grapes in the Philippines because of its warm weather, an expert in viticulture stressed that the country is a better place for the fruit than the United States and Europe -- two places where most of the world’s wines are produced.

Unknown to many, the Philippines has been home to several vineyards, said Avelino Lomboy, who has been growing grapes in the country for more than four decades.

He said some of these are located in La Union, Cebu, Cotabato, Iloilo, Masbate and Nueva Ecija.

“In the Philippines, we have the best climate for grapes, which is 25 to 34 degrees Centigrade,” Lomboy explained. “And the temperatures the whole year round stay that way until winter. In Europe, you only grow [grapes] once a year. Here, you can grow [grapes] the whole year.”

“Grapes grow based on summer, so we have the whole year. Heat is not a problem,” he added, referring to the misconception that grapes need cold weather to grow.

Asked if Baguio is a suitable environment for grapes, Lomboy said: “No, because it’s gloomy. The grapes need sunlight. ‘Yung grapes sa Baguio are coming from La Union. Probably coming from me.”

Lomboy has been tapped to help put up the first vineyard in Tagaytay, a picturesque city that is about two hours away from Manila. The 10-hectare vineyard will be part of Twin Lakes, a real estate project of Global Estate Resorts Inc. The company is a subsidiary of the Andrew Tan-led Alliance Global Inc. which also operates Megaworld, among others.

For the vineyard, Lomboy will be working with local brandy maker Emperador and Spanish brandy house San Bruno, which are both owned by Alliance Global.

http://cdnimages.abs-cbnnews.com/topics/lifestyle/51513_twinlakes.jpg

A 10-hectare vineyard will be put up in this area. Photo by Karen Flores, ABS-CBNnews.com

“We’re also building a chateau, which means we’ll have our own winery,” explained Harold Geronimo, Megaworld’s director for strategic marketing and communications. “We’ll be storing the grapes and we’ll age them. The company of Mr. Tan will be handling the production of the wines.”

Soil not a problem

Lomboy also reacted to questions about the Philippine soil, one of the most important things to consider when planting grapes.
“There’s no problem with the soil quality here,” he said, adding, “[and even if there is] you can condition the soil, or even replace it.”

The primary concern of viticulturists like him, Lomboy said, is the weather. This, according to him, is what gives the Philippines the edge over countries with cooler temperatures.

“In the Philippines, from planting to first harvest, it’s below one year. In America, it will take you three years. Why? Because of autumn and winter, stop ang growth. Pero ang Pilipinas, tuluy-tuloy ang growth because of the sunlight. Mas madaling mag-grow ng grapes sa Pilipinas,” he said.

First fine wines in PH?

With the project, the Andrew Tan-owned company is expected to produce the country’s first fine wines, said Geronimo, who cited the expertise of Lomboy and their Spanish partners.

“So it’s the best of both worlds, Europe and the Philippines. The Philippines with Mr. Lomboy’s expertise for more than four decades in growing grapes, plus the expertise of those growing grapes in Spain. Bring them together to produce the finest wines in the Philippines, the first finest Philippine wines,” he said.

The products of the planned vineyard – mostly wine and brandy – will be sold by Emperador.

But they are not going to do all the work: Alliance Global is also considering to sell lands to those who might want to plant their own grapes.

http://cdnimages.abs-cbnnews.com/topics/lifestyle/51513_twinlakes2.jpg

The light green area in this model is where The Vineyard, which includes the 10-hectare vineyard, will be built. Photo by Karen Flores, ABS-CBNnews.com

“We are eyeing certain lots within the area which can be used as a vineyard as well by other interested growers,” said Erwin Francis Go, Megaworld’s vice president for sales and marketing.

“So we’re not just confined to our own vineyard – we’re offering it already to others who might want to build their own vineyard here. We have pockets of available land for them to grow their own vineyard,” he added.

As for the taste of local wines, Lomboy said these are generally sweeter than the ones sold in the United States and Europe, and is expected to be a hit among Filipinos.

“Iba ang napro-produce ng tropical countries because of the heat,” he explained. “Mataas ang sugar content kaysa asim. Kaya iba ito sa Europe.”

Merlot, Shiraz, Chardonnay
The vineyard will be situated within a 177-hectare mixed use area, which is aptly called The Vineyard. The property will feature a low-rise hotel and three towers of condominiums labeled Merlot, Chardonnay and Shiraz -- just like the grape varieties.

http://cdnimages.abs-cbnnews.com/topics/lifestyle/51513_twinlakes3.jpg

A look at one of the condominium units in The Vineyard. Photo by Karen Flores, ABS-CBNnews.com

The one- and two-bedroom units are priced between P7 million and P12 million each, depending on the size of the balcony, and will be ready by 2017.

Other establishments are also set to occupy the 1,149-hectare Twin Lakes, from shopping areas and restaurants to retirement homes, schools and nature parks.

Nehellenia
06-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Also good for the economy ;)

The Lawspeaker
06-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Also good for the economy ;)

And if we have some surplus land here in Europe we can use it to grow products that are suitable and which we now need to import. When it comes to the Philippines: they might turn into a wine drinking country or export their wines to China. Maybe some to Europe.

simple
06-12-2014, 09:25 AM
I think they usually planted in a more cooler areas in the Philippines, yeah like Baguio City, Strawberries also grew easily there. I like fresh veggies in Baguio which is next to our province, lol we sell fish or sea foods and they sell vegetables and fresh fruits to our areas that's how the trade in Northern Luzon does because they are mostly in mountainous areas and we are in low land surrounded of seas.

lol I thought grapes need more cooler areas..

The Lawspeaker
06-12-2014, 09:28 AM
I think they usually planted in a more cooler areas in the Philippines, yeah like Baguio City, Strawberries also grew easily there. I like fresh veggies in Baguio which is next to our province, lol we sell fish or sea foods and they sell vegetables and fresh fruits to our areas that's how the trade in Northern Luzon does.

lol I thought grapes need more cooler areas..

Do you think it could become an export product ?

simple
06-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Do you think it could become an export product ?

I know we have nice mangoes, pineapple, and banana but grapes hmm.. I'm not sure yet, We'll see.

The Lawspeaker
06-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I know we have nice mangoes, pineapple, and banana but grapes hmm.. I'm not sure yet, We'll see.

F.I selling wine to China. I found this article:

Wineries in the Philippines (http://traveltips.usatoday.com/wineries-philippines-100846.html)

The Philippines is not known as a wine-producing country and you will most likely not hear the country's name roll off the tongue of a sommelier -- however, the area's distinctive climate and culture contributes to continued local wine production. A trip to one of the local wineries will be an experience completely different than visiting wineries in France, Italy or Napa Valley.

Climate & Geography

The Philippines has a standard tropical maritime climate that includes high temperatures, high humidity and copious amounts of rainfall. These conditions promote abundant growth of flora, making the Philippines one of the world's biodiversity hotspots, with more than 9,000 plant species identified -- but wine grapes do not grow. The tropical climate promotes the growth of mold and mildew and grapevines typically thrive in temperate climates. Wineries in the Philippines do not include the grape vineyards that are typically found in other wine-producing countries.

Types of Wineries

Philippine wineries produce several types of wine that use plants commonly grown in the Philippines. Many wineries are sole-proprietorships and small family or village-run operations whose products are sold at local markets and restaurants. The country is home to a few larger wineries and wine production companies that mass produce their products and export them to other countries.

Types of Wine

The tropical fruit, rice, sugar cane and coffee that are abundant in the Philippines are used in the most frequently encountered types of wine produced in the Philippines. The Ifugos, indigenous people from the mountainous Cordilleras region of the Philippines, produce rice wine, similar to Japanese sake, called "tapoy." The southern Tagalog provinces of Quezon and Laguna are famous for "lambanog," wine made from coconuts. Tuba wine, also called "jungle wine," is made from the fermented sap of an unopened coconut bud. The Ilocanos people of Northern Luzon produce "basi," a fermented sugar cane wine. Strawberries, mangoes, pineapple and bugnay are some of the fruits used to produce wine.

Tours

Tours of wineries are not easy to find in the Philippines. Consider traveling to some of the local villages to witness small-scale wine production. To connect with the popular strawberry wine of the Baguio region, head to La Trinidad Strawberry Fields, where you can pick strawberries and purchase a wide array of other strawberry items, including the famous strawberry wine. If you would like to sample tropical fruit wine and tuba, consider staying at Crystal Paradise Resort, Spa & Winery (crystalparadiseresort.com) in Palawan. The resort owns a winery that produces wines from tropical fruits such as guava, banana, papaya and cashew.

simple
06-12-2014, 09:48 AM
F.I selling wine to China. I found this article:

We have some locally made wines but internationally I think we still need to improved our local products specially the packaging too.
the most famous product which the Philippines export is our San Miguel Beer.

The Lawspeaker
06-12-2014, 09:49 AM
We have some locally made wines but the most famous product which the Philippines export is our San Miguel Beer.

I know. Unfortunately San Miguel is weak as piss. I prefer Red Horse.

simple
06-12-2014, 10:00 AM
I know. Unfortunately San Miguel is weak as piss. I prefer Red Horse.

Red Horse is part of San Miguel Corporation.

They made a commercial in some other Asian countries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHdTLEGoKm4

The Lawspeaker
06-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Red Horse is part of San Miguel Corporation.

They made a commercial in some other Asian countries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHdTLEGoKm4

I know. It's all part of the same corporation. Much like here. I think that, in the case of the Netherlands, there are only two or three corporations that control 90 percent of the market.