PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out where to post my Question

bombadil
02-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi all,

I want to start a thread asking for some help filling in my profile information fields there on the left.

I'm trying to find out more about my ancestry and the taxonomic definitions of my genetics.

I could not figure out what forum to put this in, as the taxonomy forum seems to be for posting pictures and getting opinions. I am not going to post a picture at this time.

? :confused: :)

So where to?

The Khagan
02-05-2010, 01:37 AM
For taxonomy, most newer members who aren't shy generally post pictures of themselves in the taxonomy section in the Anthropology subforum. http://www.theapricity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

members will classify you from there.

bombadil
02-05-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm a bit shy, is there any way to do it without a picture? :)

Stefan
02-05-2010, 02:48 AM
You don't need to fill it in, if you don't want to. It is impossible for us to classify you without a picture. If you want to try to classify yourself, you could read up on it, if so, then I guess I could provide a few links. :thumb001:

Edit: Either way it isn't very important as a member. It is more of a fun thing to do.

bombadil
02-05-2010, 02:54 AM
You don't need to fill it in, if you don't want to. It is impossible for us to classify you without a picture. If you want to try to classify yourself, you could read up on it, if so, then I guess I could provide a few links. :thumb001:

Edit: Either way it isn't very important as a member. It is more of a fun thing to do.

Yes please send me those links Stefan, thanks!

Stefan
02-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Yes please send me those links Stefan, thanks!
In this first link you can read some stuff under "essays & excerpts". You can also go to the Nordish Gallery for some Northern European types, and the glossary has many overall human types and descriptions.

http://www.theapricity.com/snpa/

This is a really good thread made by Agrippa.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11365

If you have a good measurement method you might want to try this calculator out too. It will give you a basic broad idea, but you must measure accurately.

http://dienekes.110mb.com/calc/rac/

bombadil
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Stefan, thank you for the links, very useful.

bombadil

Grey
02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
If you're not too shy you could send a private message to Agrippa or someone for them to do it privately.

Anthropos
02-08-2010, 08:08 AM
What ethnicity were you raised as?

Ethnicity: German, Irish, Scottish, French

Ancestry does not determine ethnicity in my opinion even while it is a contributing factor and even if it says much more than race does. 'Classifications' and genetics have no bearing whatever on ethnicity, and maybe it would be a good idea to ponder why you would want to be classified in the first place before going ahead with it.

bombadil
02-12-2010, 03:01 AM
What ethnicity were you raised as?

Ancestry does not determine ethnicity in my opinion even while it is a contributing factor and even if it says much more than race does. 'Classifications' and genetics have no bearing whatever on ethnicity, and maybe it would be a good idea to ponder why you would want to be classified in the first place before going ahead with it.

I guess I didn't understand the definition of ethnicity until now. You're right, German, Irish, Scottish and French are my ancestral roots. This is why I made this thread, to ask for help understanding the different headings everyone has in their mini profile (meta-ethnicity, ethnicity, subrace, ancestry... etc.) and how I can figure out what to put there.

I don't know what ethnicity I was raised as. I guess "Canadian", which is pretty much by definition a conglomeration of different White European ethnicities.

My reasons are simply a desire to learn about myself. I am exploring my ancestry and mapping it out, as is my wife. One of the reasons we are doing this is so we can pass the information on to our children. We want them to know where they came from and to be proud of their roots.