PDA

View Full Version : 'Gender disappointment'

Elsa
06-13-2014, 08:30 PM
'Gender disappointment': Coping with the 'wrong' baby (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/7714755/Gender-disappointment-Coping-with-the-wrong-baby.html)

By Jessie Hewitson

You hope for a girl but learn it's a boy. Jessie Hewitson reports on 'gender disappointment'.

When friends congratulated me on my pregnancy and asked whether I was hoping for a boy or a girl, my reply was always the same: I had no preference. It turns out not to have been among my most self-aware of responses – something I discovered during the 20-week scan.

We decided we wanted to know the sex and when the time came, the scanographer announced we were having a boy. I felt a jolt. For the very first time I realised I had been utterly and completely convinced I was having a girl – and, truth to tell, I did have a preference after all.

Walking out of the hospital in a bit of a daze, I felt a confusing mixture of emotions: on the one hand it was a thrill to find out more about our baby; on the other I experienced a brief stab of disappointment, followed by a flood of guilt.

I spoke about my reaction to friends who had recently had children. All five admitted that they had hoped for girls. One who had found out the sex before the birth cried for two weeks when she knew it was a boy – she had felt too ashamed to tell me at the time and still feels very guilty at the thought of it.

This shame factor means that most women talk about the their feelings of disappointment anonymously on parenting websites.

These range from mild shock to more difficult emotions – many report breaking down in tears during their scan. One blogger at the extreme end of the scale considered terminating her son, had she been able to without anyone knowing.

Geraldine Holden, content editor of Mumsnet, says "gender disappointment" is a popular topic, with more than 400 threads, some running to hundreds of posts each.

"Very often the women posting feel desperately guilty and say they wish they hadn't found out the sex before the birth," she says.

In the experience of psychologist Graham W Price, women generally want to have girls, while men's preferences can go either way.

"Gender disappointment can affect fathers just as much as mothers," he says. "In fact, it often takes men longer than women to get over their regret, as there is a biological imperative for women to bond with their children."

The reasons people prefer one sex to another are varied, but you don't need to be Freud to work out what might be going on with me. I went to a single-sex school and was brought up in an all-female home – we used to joke that even our pets were female.

Price explains that many of us assume we understand, or can relate to, one sex better than the other. We might also have a stereotyped view about boys and girls. People's relationships with their parents and early experiences of men and women in general can also have an impact.

"I've treated a woman who has a son she has never really managed to bond with because she wanted a girl," says Dr Alex Yellowlees, medical director of the Priory Hospital in Glasgow. "It's so sad. Inevitably, it all comes out when the children are older and find out they weren't wanted or valued. It's terribly damaging."

Such examples are rare, however, and the majority of mothers give birth to babies they wouldn't change for all the world, regardless of their gender.

Thankfully I have now got over my initial disappointment. In factI think there is something rather wonderful about introducing a much-needed boy into my matriarchal family.

Incal
06-13-2014, 09:20 PM
I wonder if that feeling also applies for MENA and Indian women.

PetiteParisienne
06-20-2014, 07:55 AM
I can't imagine what it must be like to prefer one sex so badly that it would affect your mental and emotional health in such a profound way. There are so many risks and unknowns that come with pregnancy; it seems like a petty thing to get upset about. I can only speak for myself, of course. But when I was pregnant, I was only concerned about my health and my baby's health. There was no way I could even wrap my head around having any sort of preference.

Special K
12-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Obviously being a teenager I don't really have to worry about this for a long time, but I see this a bit differently.

If I were to have a kid one day I would rather it be a boy, but mainly just because only a boy can pass on the family name. Because my family name is really rare and it would only be passed on to another generation if me (or my brother) had a son.

Meina
03-27-2015, 07:59 PM
It's real. I never found out about the genders of my babies. My husband was holding me as I gave birth to my last...It was sweet because of the anticipation. He loves our daughters very much but you'd better believe that there was a twinge of disappointment when he checked between her legs.

Hot dog bun, no hot dog.

His disappointment dissolved rapidly when he looked at her with those blueberry eyes and fiery red mohawk.

Mr Moi
03-27-2015, 10:27 PM
My Wife and I decided early in our relationship that we were going to have; two boys, two girls, two cats and a dog... We ended up with many cats, two boys and no dog. My Wife had an extra special, close relationship with her Mother (my Mother in Law was a very special Woman, I adored Her) and I always wanted a daughter so that Mother-Daughter relationship would continue another generation. Both times my Wife was pregnant I hoped for a Daughter. We could have found out the sex of our babies beforehand, but we always decided we would rather be surprised... Both times my Wife gave birth to boys and both times I was thrilled instead of disapointed...

Fast forward thirty years or so later... I have two amazing grown Sons who I am very proud of... MY older Son is married and has two Children one Girl and one Boy, so I finally have a Beautiful Grand-Daughter whom my Wife and I dote on. I am also Happy because my Son has a Son who is a big handsome smiling Boy... My Dad is very Happy with this situation as well... Life is Good!!!

Rædwald
04-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Women

http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201407/phpP8NFUvtumblr_inline_mv5iajSu6a1rmtdfh.gif

Prisoner Of Ice
04-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Sounds like some kind of feminist propaganda. I hope this is not a real issue for many people. It's pathetic.

Now raising an autistic kid or something, that would be a nightmare.

Hithaeglir
04-29-2015, 11:53 AM
I myself have a preference for daughters,though i don't know why.Maybe it's something instinctive,created by the fact that i grew up in a home predominantly female.

Drakoblare
04-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Sounds like some kind of feminist propaganda. I hope this is not a real issue for many people. It's pathetic.

Now raising an autistic kid or something, that would be a nightmare.

Autism isn't even bad compared to other things a baby can have.
But yeah, OP smells like retardation and bs.

Prisoner Of Ice
04-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Autism isn't even bad compared to other things a baby can have.
But yeah, OP smells like retardation and bs.

I mean real autism where kids are severely violent and dysfunctional, not 'autism spectrum disorder' where you spend all your time asking who will pass in what country and who is most DOM.

But yeah you know what I mean, something serious.

Taiga Lake
04-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Literally worse than Hitler, but no seriously, "hating" your baby because of his/her gender is fucked up, it's like hating your baby if he's mixed race or something.

RabbitHole
08-29-2017, 05:20 AM
I can relate. I'd want a girl more if I had to pick but also want boy too. Either way I would just keep trying to get both or adopt.