PDA

View Full Version : Iraq conflict: Iran's Rouhani 'ready to help'

Loki
06-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Iraq conflict: Iran's Rouhani 'ready to help' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27847498)

Iran is ready to assist the Iraqi government in its battle against extremist Sunni insurgents, President Hassan Rouhani has said.

He denied Iran had sent troops to fight in Iraq. However, an Iraqi source told the BBC that 130 Iranian Revolutionary Guards had entered the country to provide military training and advice.

The insurgents have seized several cities and are closing in on Baghdad.

They regard Iraq's Shia majority as "infidels".

The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) is a hardline Islamist militant group that grew during the US-led occupation (2003-2011).

It is one of several jihadist militias fighting the rule of Bashar al-Assad in neighbouring Syria.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75481000/gif/_75481316_iraq_isis_control_624_v3.gif

Iran has close ties with Iraq's Shia-dominated leadership under Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Iraq's Sunni minority - which was dominant until 2003 - has complained of marginalisation by Mr Maliki's government.

"If the Iraqi government asks us for help, we may provide any assistance the Iraqi nation would like us to provide in the fight against terrorism," President Rouhani said on Saturday.

"However, the engagement of Iranian forces has not been discussed. Providing help and being engaged in operations are different."

Answering a question from the BBC, he said that so far the Iraqi government had not requested help from Iran.

President Rouhani did not rule out co-operating with the United States, Iran's traditional foe, in combating ISIS: "We can think about if we see America starts confronting the terrorist groups in Iraq or elsewhere."

Mraz
06-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Loki finally the Shia and Kurdish state would be possible at the end lol

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Loki finally the Shia and Kurdish state would be possible at the end lol

And what about the 40% Sunni Muslims in Iraq?

GrebluBro
06-15-2014, 10:39 AM

And what 20% Kurds in Turkey?

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 10:44 AM
And what 20% Kurds in Turkey?

They live in Turkey not Iraq.

GrebluBro
06-15-2014, 10:47 AM
They live in Turkey not Iraq.

I agree, those Turkish Kurds want independent state too. Would they wanna join Iraqi Kurds if a new nation is carved out?

Mraz
06-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Iraq is 20% Sunni, same % than Kurds and do you see the mess here?

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 10:54 AM
I agree, those Turkish Kurds want independent state too. Would they wanna join Iraqi Kurds if a new nation is carved out?

Absolutely not.

http://i.imgur.com/6m2dBK0.jpg

A recent survey has shown that 90.3 percent of Kurds and 70.7 percent of Turks strongly believe that their futures are bound to each other, contrary to expectations that they have strong secessionist tendencies. This is contrary to expectations that Kurds see separation from Turkey as a solution to the Kurdish problem. Only 2.3 percent of Turkey's Kurds say independence will bring a solution to the problem, while 5.7 percent see a federative structure in Turkey as a solution and 11.9 percent say regional/democratic autonomy will solve problems.

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Iraq is 20% Sunni, same % than Kurds and do you see the mess here?

Iraq is sourrounded from Sunni states. There is no future for such a state.

Loki
06-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Iraq is sourrounded from Sunni states. There is no future for such a state.

Iran is Shia, and Iran will certainly defend a future Shia state in Iraq. Saudi Arabia won't be happy, though. I can foresee a future war between Iran and Saudi.

As for Kurdistan in northern Iraq, they are a bunch of tough cookies. Now is an excellent time for them to push for full independence.

Loki
06-15-2014, 11:57 AM

They can go to hell for all I care. Bloody terrorists.

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Iran is Shia, and Iran will certainly defend a future Shia state in Iraq. Saudi Arabia won't be happy, though. I can foresee a future war between Iran and Saudi.

As for Kurdistan in northern Iraq, they are a bunch of tough cookies. Now is an excellent time for them to push for full independence.

When it comes to the territorial cohension of Iraq, the Sunni and Shia Arabs will defend their borders against the Kurds.

Proto-Shaman
06-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Absolutely not.

http://i.imgur.com/6m2dBK0.jpg

A recent survey has shown that 90.3 percent of Kurds and 70.7 percent of Turks strongly believe that their futures are bound to each other, contrary to expectations that they have strong secessionist tendencies. This is contrary to expectations that Kurds see separation from Turkey as a solution to the Kurdish problem. Only 2.3 percent of Turkey's Kurds say independence will bring a solution to the problem, while 5.7 percent see a federative structure in Turkey as a solution and 11.9 percent say regional/democratic autonomy will solve problems.
wow, I have never expected such good results even after 40 years of conflict :eusa_shifty: Anyway, this makes me really happy. In which years were the surveys performed?

The Lawspeaker
06-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Hear hear !

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 12:28 PM
wow, I have never expected such good results even after 40 years of conflict :eusa_shifty: Anyway, this makes me really happy. In which years were the surveys performed?

2012-09-16

http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetail_openPrintPage.action?newsId=292508

Many people see the problems only on TV, but fail to recognize the reality that Turks and Kurds in Turkey have become inseparable.

Rojava
06-15-2014, 01:54 PM
2012-09-16

http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetail_openPrintPage.action?newsId=292508

Many people see the problems only on TV, but fail to recognize the reality that Turks and Kurds in Turkey have become inseparable.

:lol: Source: TodaysZaman.... Nuff said, unless most of the people who took part actually vote for groups such as AKP but it failed to state that. Anyway I will quote from your own source

Quote: and I know this first hand because that's when I served in the Southeast as a commanding officer in the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK).
Point: The guy who created this poll was an officer in the TSK, considering his background I wouldn't be surprised to see if he himself has manipulated the polls.

Quote: This survey of nearly 3,000 people
Point: 3000 people can not represent a population of 70 or so million people, especially if it doesn't state where these people live. A Kurd from Amed will be much more nationalistic than a Kurd from Izmir. The only way this could be a reliable sample is if it took a stratified sample (from the total population of 3000) but it really doesn't state that which is evident that this guy knows nothing about statistics.

Quote: This is a development to watch for. Apparently, the PKK has had some success in its manipulations
Point: Clear bias

I find it interesting how Turks accept things without questioning it. It leads to being brainwashed, like North Koreans.

wvwvw
06-15-2014, 02:01 PM

I think Serbia and greece should encourage and support an independent Northern Kurdistan in Turkey with the same zeal that Turkey is supporting a Greater Albania, and meddling in the affairs of other countries:

Erdogan: Turkish soldiers will help Albanians liberate their lands
May 7, 2012

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

The Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan menaced to disband the state of fYROM and the Western Balkans, if measures are not taken to assure the rights of Albanians.

In an interview about the current situation to a state TV station, Erdoğan declared that Turkey will support its Albanian brothers with its troops, reports the Albanian online newspaper “GlobiSot”.

He added that the Albanian people has the right to self-determination and the creation of a Great Albanian State, and that UCK is not a revolutionary – terrorist organisation, but expresses the will of the Albanians to defend their lands.
http://balkanstory.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/erdogan-turkish-soldiers-will-help-albanians-liberate-their-lands/

StonyArabia
06-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Iran is only saying this, if they actually intervene the situation will become worse. No People underestimate the tribal frame work, where many Shia Arab tribes oppose Iranian influence on all platform. Not to mention many tribes in Iraq follow both sects. Iran can never get the influence that it wants in Iraq, the Shia government in Iraq which is religious can't do anything even with Iran's aide it's incompetent on all levels. Iran has problems with Shia Arabs in Ahwaz who do want independence from Iran, as we'll Sunni Arabs in the islands. If a Shia state occurs it will be more of a headache to Iran than asset knowing how the tribal system works, nor would many of the Shia Arab tribal leaders want to loose their political power, this can be seen when some Shia Arab tribes joined the Protest with their Sunni Arab kin against the Iraqi Central government. The situation is not simple as Iran wants to believe or how people who don't know about the society of Iraq are putting their personal opinions rather than facts on the ground.

Loki
06-15-2014, 06:30 PM
When it comes to the territorial cohension of Iraq, the Sunni and Shia Arabs will defend their borders against the Kurds.

I have no doubt that Iraq will split into 3 states: Shia, Sunni and Kurdish.

Loki
06-15-2014, 06:39 PM
I think Serbia and greece should encourage and support an independent Northern Kurdistan in Turkey with the same zeal that Turkey is supporting a Greater Albania, and meddling in the affairs of other countries:

Erdogan: Turkish soldiers will help Albanians liberate their lands
May 7, 2012

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

The Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan menaced to disband the state of fYROM and the Western Balkans, if measures are not taken to assure the rights of Albanians.

In an interview about the current situation to a state TV station, Erdoğan declared that Turkey will support its Albanian brothers with its troops, reports the Albanian online newspaper “GlobiSot”.

He added that the Albanian people has the right to self-determination and the creation of a Great Albanian State, and that UCK is not a revolutionary – terrorist organisation, but expresses the will of the Albanians to defend their lands.
http://balkanstory.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/erdogan-turkish-soldiers-will-help-albanians-liberate-their-lands/

Well, I don't see anything wrong with defending Albanians.

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 06:39 PM
I have no doubt that Iraq will split into 3 states: Shia, Sunni and Kurdish.

To be honest, they can do what they want, as long as they respect the borders of their neighbors.

StonyArabia
06-15-2014, 07:15 PM
To be honest, they can do what they want, as long as they respect the borders of their neighbors.

That will never happen. It won't split that easily. If a Sunni state occurs this means the Shia will lose one of their most important shrines in Samara, it was the Sunnis of this area that were its guardians. The Kurds want to expand to Mosul, we'll the Sunni tribes want more representation but like I said since 2006 they were de facto independent when the tribal leaders decided to give the finger to the Central Iraqi government, which itself has a problem with Shia Arab tribes that oppose it. Not all Shia Arabs are pro Iran especially not the tribal leaders.

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 07:23 PM
That will never happen. It won't split that easily. If a Sunni state occurs this means the Shia will lose one of their most important shrines in Samara, it was the Sunnis of this area that were its guardians. The Kurds want to expand to Mosul, we'll the Sunni tribes want more representation but like I said since 2006 they were de facto independent when the tribal leaders decided to give the finger to the Central Iraqi government, which itself has a problem with Shia Arab tribes that oppose it. Not all Shia Arabs are pro Iran especially not the tribal leaders.

The best solution for this region, would be an exchange of population. The Kurds from Iraq could be exchange with the Arab-speaking population in South Iran. The Kurds in Turkey would be an alternative for the Turks (Azerbaijanis) in Iran. That's only a conceptual model. But in the history, this has worked well with Greece.

wvwvw
06-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Except Kurdistan is not Iran. Kurds should annex the kurdish territories in Iran and Turkey that are righteously theirs and unite with the rest of Kurdistan. Eventually Kurdistan will become the richest and most prosperous country in the Middle East.

gültekin
06-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Except Kurdistan is not Iran. Kurds should annex the kurdish territories in Iran and Turkey that are righteously theirs and unite with the rest of Kurdistan. Eventually Kurdistan will become the richest and most prosperous country in the Middle East.
only in your dreams u hungry morons

Loki
06-15-2014, 07:38 PM

The Shias will claim Samara.

wvwvw
06-15-2014, 07:45 PM

Why? Turkey is already a Kurdified country. 20 million Kurds live in Turkey - not counting the Turkified Kurds that number in the millions. (Most important premier ministers and intellectuals in Turkey have been Turkified Kurds)

Kurdistan sits on vast reserves of oil, that will eventually turn Kurdistan into the richest country in the region and strategic partner of the USA. That will be a game-changer and eventually Northern Kurdistan WILL be liberated and united with the South. You can postpone the inevitable but you can't avoid it. :laugh:

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 07:47 PM

It's more possible, that the official language in Greece will be Urdu, as the Kurds move even a stone from the Turkish border. I appreciate an independent Kurdish state in Iraq, under the condition that the Kurds can pay for this with their blood. Because borders are drawn by blood and if the Kurds are willing to sacrifice their blood for this thing, then I respect that.

But the Greeks should not think that a conflagration in this region would have no effect for them. They are already being flooded by refugees from the Middle East. Their country is full of Pakistani, Kurdish and Arab refugees.

wvwvw
06-15-2014, 07:48 PM
:eek:

gültekin
Why? Turkey is already a Kurdified country. 20 million Kurds live in Turkey - not counting the Turkified Kurds that number in the millions. (Most important premier ministers and intellectuals in Turkey have been Turkified Kurds)

Kurdistan sits on vast reserves of oil, that will eventually turn Kurdistan into the richest country in the region and strategic partner of the USA. That will be a game-changer and eventually Northern Kurdistan WILL be liberated and united with the South. You can postpone the inevitable but you can't avoid it. :laugh:
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk65yl86kRU

Proto-Shaman

:picard2: In 1918 when Turks were 15 million, Kurds in Turkey were 2 million.

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 07:57 PM
:picard2: In 1918 when Turks were 15 million, Kurds in Turkey were 2 million.

The Turks have the option between 250 million Turkic peoples, so I do not see any demographics problem in Turkey. ;)

wvwvw
06-15-2014, 07:58 PM
And Greeks were about 6-7 million. Fast forward 100 years and Turks are now 80 million of which Kurds are 20.

Kurds still have five and six kids, they have increased in number since then. Kurds have been living in extreme poverty, without electricity or water in many cases. Until recently, they were forbidden to speak their language, to vote for Kurdish parties or even send their children to school, so I can understand where they come from. But now that they will finally declare Independence all that will change and Kurdistan will become the Switzerland of the Middle east. A new Dubai;

Alphawolf
06-15-2014, 08:01 PM
And Greeks were about 6-7 million.

Greeks are still 7-8 million. Something goes wrong in Greek bedrooms.

gültekin
06-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Greeks are still 7-8 million. Something goes wrong in Greek bedrooms.
http://www.opsiyonhaber.com/d/news/10471.jpg
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5146880256/h3FAF68CD/

StonyArabia
06-16-2014, 02:18 AM
The Shias will claim Samara.

It's almost impossible that area is Sunni Arab the only way they can do it if the come to an agreement to have the shrine as a enclave, similar to how Turkey does in Aleppo toward the tomb of the founder of the Ottoman family. That said Iraqis practice both sect within the same family and tribe, the division hence is artificial and recent due to political environment.

Kemalisté
06-16-2014, 05:39 AM
Good old anti-imperialist Iran seems to be gone.

StonyArabia
06-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Good old anti-imperialist Iran seems to be gone.

Iran anti-imperialist lol, far from it I hope my brothers in Ahwaz and Balochistan will be free one day.

Kemalisté
06-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Iran anti-imperialist lol, far from it I hope my brothers in Ahwaz and Balochistan will be free one day.

It once was, under Ahmadinejad.

Rojava
06-16-2014, 06:33 PM
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk65yl86kRU

Nice, you have soldiers who can scream. That will be real handy in battle.