PDA

View Full Version : Hokey Cokey is ‘faith hate crime’

Beorn
02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior Catholics in Scotland have warned that Protestants who sing the Hokey Cokey could fall foul of laws outlawing incitement of religious hatred.
They claim the song was originally written to mock the Catholic mass and that its derisive overtones have been revived by football fans.

Supporters of the largely Protestant Glasgow Rangers club have been banned from the once common practice of singing antiCatholic songs at the club’s ground when it plays Celtic, which has Catholic roots. Now fans are discussing on websites the possibility of singing the Hokey Cokey to get around the rule.

Peter Kearney, a spokesman for Cardinal Keith O’Brien, leader of the Catholic church in Scotland, said: “This song, although apparently innocuous, was devised as an attack on and a parody of the Catholic mass.”

According to the church, the song’s title derives from “hocus pocus”. The phrase is said to be a Puritan satire on the Latin “hoc est enim corpus meum”, or “this is my body”, used by Catholic priests to accompany the transubstantiation during mass.
Murdo Fraser, deputy leader of the Scottish Conservatives, said: “I can’t believe Scottish children performing the Hokey Cokey are doing so in pursuit of any sort of antiCatholic agenda.”

Source (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5375697.ece)

I have officially seen it all now. I can't possibly imagine society to get much lower than it has managed to prostrate itself in order to be "civilised" and equality based.

Me being me I had a nice little dance with my family to the Hokey Cokey.

qK0M0v-j4-c

Senior Catholics in Scotland can swivel on a large one.

Loki
02-07-2010, 01:18 PM
How utterly pathetic. I want to learn that song now!

Beorn
02-07-2010, 01:28 PM
How utterly pathetic. I want to learn that song now!

You don't know how to do the Hokey Cokey??

Well, you put your left arm in, your left arm out. In out. In out. Shake it all about. You do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around, and that's what it's all about....woah hokey cokey cokey...etc...

:D

Murphy
02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Old news, load of shite if you ask me. We used to do the Hokey Cokey in Catholic Primary School. If the Orange Scum want to sing Hokey Cokey at Ibrox, then they can batter in. Quite frankly they'll be laughed at for singing nursery tunes whilst we run them ragged around the pitch.

Regards,
The Papist.

Óttar
02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
They call it the hokey pokey over here.

What next? Will they outlaw 'Ods Bodikins!' = God's bodies + diminutive (i.e. the communion wafer) ? :D