PDA

View Full Version : Home Birthing

Rachel
02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Hello all,

I just got done watching an interesting documentary called the business of being born, it is based on the idea of midwifery and homebirths and i wanted to ask a question to the larger community : could this be seen as a form of self sufficiency? Bringing our own kids into the world without the use of doctors and hospitals.

For women who have had home births in our faith what do you think, why did you want a home birth?

For men, how would you feel about a homebirth? would you feel comfotable being involved in the process? would you want to have a say in the decision about the birth of your child?

Do we need midwifes in our community or should we depend on modern science ?

Thanks all for looking at these questions
Rachel

Anthropos
02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Why was this discussion limited in meaning, scope, relevance and interest by submission under 'living as a heathen'?

Rachel
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Why was this discussion limited in meaning, scope, relevance and interest by submission under 'living as a heathen'?

I thought it would be more relveant for the heathen people but i can see how you would think maybe it could be for the whole community feel free to move it, i take no offense i just thought that because in heathenry we believe in self reliance that here was as a good a place as any.

Mod's any suggestion on where my little thread could go?

Murphy
02-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Christian's have been home birthing since well into the modern day. It is in no way specific to any religious community.

Regards,
The Papist.

Skandi
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
But you can ask the question from a religious perspective. Is home birthing the "right" thing to do IF you are heathen?

Anthropos
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
But you can ask the question from a religious perspective. Is home birthing the "right" thing to do IF you are heathen?

Oh dear... I don't know what to say to such things... Well, in fact I do.

There is no 'heathen' doctrine to begin with, so there can be no answer to that question. All you will get is a bunch of answers 'yes' and 'no', each of them from an arbitrary viewpoint. 'Heathenry' can be practically anything and anyone who so wishes can be a 'heathen', but at the same time it is only an extremely limited crowd that identifies as such. When you can have a discussion of general interest, what could possibly warrant its restriction to people who decided that they are 'heathens'?

Rachel
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Shakes head i just wanted to talk about this awesome documentary..... sighs, can we just talk about Homebirthing and what society thinks of it, what you as an idividual think of it. ?

Anthropos
02-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Hospitals are not safe, so I think it's a good idea, if you know reasonably well what you are doing. In the past I suppose that there was usually an experienced mother there. Also, the milieu and mood of most hospitals is not nearly as pleasing to the senses as it can be at home. I'm sure 'science' has a lot to object as usual; how terrible it would be if people could (once more) manage on their own and all that.

Praamžius
02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
It's dangerous that's for sure , not sure if it has any benefits.It's each woman's personal choice , but she may put not only her health&life to danger , but and a newborn's.So i totally negative on home-birthing

Rachel
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
When and If i do have a kid and a good husband i want a home birth, after watching this documentary on Netflix i was so impressed by just how easy it was to just let the body do it's job without any interupptions by man. in one of the shots they showed a women just gave birth and there was no problem, she didn't cry she did'nt scream it just came out perfectly and easy.

It's a wonder what the body can do when left alone.

Praamžius
02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
When and If i do have a kid and a good husband i want a home birth, after watching this documentary on Netflix i was so impressed by just how easy it was to just let the body do it's job without any interupptions by man. in one of the shots they showed a women just gave birth and there was no problem, she didn't cry she did'nt scream it just came out perfectly and easy.

Better safe than sorry

Anthropos
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Did you see it online and if so can we have a link, please?

Rachel
02-08-2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.netflix.com/WiSearch?v1=The%20Business%20of%20Being%20Born&hv=qmdw7Dlc/yHZ2QTjlfuFHR9Cqc4=&oq=the%20busine

That's the link Netflix.com--> business of being born :)

Grey
02-08-2010, 05:47 PM
It's dangerous that's for sure , not sure if it has any benefits.It's each woman's personal choice , but she may put not only her health&life to danger , but and a newborn's.So i totally negative on home-birthing

No more dangerous than birthing in a hospital, and actually safer in many ways. And as long as you're reasonably close to one you can drive there in the case of an emergency.

I've seen the documentary by the way; it's very good.

Hrimskegg
02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Oh dear... I don't know what to say to such things... Well, in fact I do.

There is no 'heathen' doctrine to begin with, so there can be no answer to that question. All you will get is a bunch of answers 'yes' and 'no', each of them from an arbitrary viewpoint. 'Heathenry' can be practically anything and anyone who so wishes can be a 'heathen', but at the same time it is only an extremely limited crowd that identifies as such. When you can have a discussion of general interest, what could possibly warrant its restriction to people who decided that they are 'heathens'?

I think it's more of an, "what does everyone think, and also, what connotations does it have concerning Heathenry." Simply, she asked two questions, albeit, melded into one. Now, "Heathenry" pushes for self sufficiency, so there would certainly be a tendency to do home birth because of that. However, it also espouses making your own decisions, so in the case of Heathenry, I would argue that you should do whatever you felt was best for your family. Personally, I've had friends who have gone through giving birth with a midwife and enjoyed the experience, and it is something I would definitely be in favor of if my (hypothetical) wife decided that's how she'd do things.

:viking4:

Brynhild
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I wanted a home birth but feared the complications that could've occurred, especially as my first labour was so long and my son was foetally distressed. Even then, I've only had midwives, as doctors are really a pain in the arse who only get in the way of what should naturally occur.

The compromise we found was a birthing room or centre (depending on the hospital's facilities). We were near the hospital if anything may have gone wrong, and yet we had the privacy and comforts like home. In saying this, though, that was my choice and it's ultimately the woman's choice in the long run.

I really don't think it just comes down to whatever religion you are. It's more about convenience and practical means.

Nordish Persephone
02-13-2010, 04:10 AM
I was born at home no big deal. No particular reason why I was, probably just because they wanted to save money.