PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Java in Java at a Nazis Cafe

Hong Key
06-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Nazi-themed café in Indonesia reopens a year after intl outrage forced its closure

http://cdn.rt.com/files/news/28/ea/80/00/nazi-cafe-indonesia-reopens.si.jpg

A controversial Nazi-theme café in Indonesia – replete with swastikas, a portrait of Adolf Hitler, people dressed in Nazi uniforms and a mock interrogation room – has reopened less than a year after international outrage led to its closure.

SoldatenKaffee (The Soldiers’ Café), named after a popular WWII hangout for German soldiers in Paris, opened in 2011. It is located in the city of Bandung, the capital of West Java province and the third-largest city in Indonesia.

The café was shut down in July 2013 by its owner, Henry Mulyana, after media outlets, including the local Jakarta Globe, published articles on the café that sparked a global backlash.

Mulyana promised to reopen his notorious café soon with a broader World War II theme and to remove all the swastikas, his lawyer told AFP following the closure.

READ MORE: (http://rt.com/news/167592-nazi-cafe-indonesia-reopen/)

Hong Key
06-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Interesting comment by Iswandi

Nothing wrong with the cafe, only dumb people who say it related with Nazi or a group of fans of Nazi. We Indonesians have a very much bitter experience with colonialism, where Dutch made most of us as slaves and killed many of us without being justice process, as well as Japanese did to us and British too. But now we make friends with them all.
If you are allergic with Nazi symbols then we are allergic with Zionist, cause we are the largest mulims in the world.
Have a good weekend

Mortimer
06-24-2014, 08:08 AM
interesting theme, i dont see it as evil if the coffeehouse is not racist and hosts also other races and is generally friendly, but i think replacing it with world war 2 themes generally is better. for indonesians its fun, because they are unrelated to nazism in europe, but to outsiders its offensive

Selurong
06-24-2014, 08:45 AM
I find the Tamil admixture in those Javanese in the picture quite obvious especially since Jave had once been part of the Chola dynasty and Majapahit was an Indianized kingdom itself.

Hong Key
06-24-2014, 09:25 PM
bump

XUTERO
06-24-2014, 11:03 PM
:eyes
Funny café man. Of course people are going to be offended but if this is forbidden then I think
that all of Allied nations flags and signs should be forbidden too, as they were much more
horrible than the Germans were. It is nonsense to forbid them. After all they have nothing to
do with Nazi, so let them do.