PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki: Russian jets will turn tide

Loki
06-27-2014, 03:23 AM
Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki: Russian jets will turn tide (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28042302)

Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has told the BBC that he hopes jets from Russia and Belarus will turn the tide against rebels in the coming days.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75867000/jpg/_75867611_57349bcc-16cd-4d87-b27d-81c86662972f.jpg
Mr Maliki says Iraq has ordered Sukhoi fighter jets from Russia, possibly similar to the one pictured

"God willing within one week this force will be effective and will destroy the terrorists' dens," he said.

He said that the process of buying US jets had been "long-winded" and that the militants' advance could have been avoided if air cover had been in place.

Isis and its Sunni Muslim allies seized large parts of Iraq this month.

Mr Maliki was speaking to the BBC's Arabic service in his first interview for an international broadcaster since Isis - the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant - began its major offensive.

"I'll be frank and say that we were deluded when we signed the contract [with the US]," Mr Maliki said.

"We should have sought to buy other jet fighters like British, French and Russian to secure the air cover for our forces; if we had air cover we would have averted what had happened," he went on.

He said Iraq was acquiring second-hand jet fighters from Russia and Belarus "that should arrive in Iraq in two or three days".

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75865000/jpg/_75865946_1a986a00-820d-46a5-8b03-27efcdb18403.jpg
The conflict continues to displace people within Iraq - these Christian refugees arrived in Irbil on Thursday

The government has struggled to hold back the militants' advance from the north and west.

The US, which backs the Iraqi government, has stressed that the militants can only be defeated by Iraq's own forces.

Iraq has also been receiving support from Iran, with whom its Shia Muslim leaders have close links.

Mr Maliki also confirmed that Syrian forces had carried out air strikes against Islamist militants at a border crossing between Iraq and Syria.

He said Iraq had not requested the strikes but that it "welcomed" them.

"They carry out their strikes and we carry out ours and the final winners are our two countries," he said.

Military and rebel sources say the strike took place inside Iraq, at the Qaim crossing, although Mr Maliki said it was carried out on the Syrian side.

Militant sources have been reporting for two days that Syrian jets hit the Iraqi side of Qaim, and also Rutba which is further inside Iraq.

The militants say 70 people were killed in the first attack and 20 in the second.

Fighting has been reported on Thursday, with Iraqi special forces flying into the university in the city of Tikrit and clashes ensuing.

Analysis: Jim Muir, BBC News, Irbil, northern Iraq

So far, the Iraqi army has been unable to launch a strategic counter-offensive to drive the rebels back.

The addition of three Iranian-backed Shia militias to its forces in the field has added to the perception that this is a Shia army fighting to impose Shia rule on Sunni areas.

Its chances of re-conquering the lost ground appear very slight. And if it did, it would be crushing and further displacing Sunni populations to plant the state flag on the smoking ruins.

It's now taken for granted by most Iraqi politicians that the Sunnis have carved out their own area, and that things will never be the same.

Mr Maliki is trying to form a new government but has rejected calls to create an emergency coalition which would include all religious and ethnic groups.

He said on Wednesday that forming a broad emergency government would go against the results of April's parliamentary elections, which were won by his alliance of Shia parties.

His political rival, Ayad Allawi, had proposed forming a national salvation government.

Meanwhile, Masoud Barzani, the leader of Iraqi Kurdistan visited the northern city of Kirkuk for the first time since it was seized by Kurdish forces earlier this month.

It fell into the hands of Kurdish fighters when Iraqi troops fled in the face of the Islamist advance.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75818000/gif/_75818776_iraq_isis_control_20140625_624.gif

Drawing-slim
06-27-2014, 03:35 AM
Maliki is a scumbag.

Crn Volk
06-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Nice, Russia inb4 NATO....so much for NATO Air

Loki
06-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Maliki is a scumbag.

wtf? Maliki is actually one good thing that came out of removing Saddam. He has strong ties with Iran, which is good for regional stability.

Drawing-slim
06-27-2014, 03:58 AM
wtf? Maliki is actually one good thing that came out of removing Saddam. He has strong ties with Iran, which is good for regional stability.

Are you kidding me?:picard2:
Precisely why he is a scumbag. This is why US is refusing to help him bomb the ISIS because invading Iraq and electing Maliki is essentially like invading Iraq killing Sadam and give the whole country to Iran to do whatever they please on abusing the sunnies.
Big mistake. Big big mistake.

Crn Volk
06-27-2014, 03:58 AM
I wonder if CSTO will be called upon next ;)

Loki
06-27-2014, 04:16 AM
Are you kidding me?:picard2:

No, I am being serious :D

Precisely why he is a scumbag. This is why US is refusing to help him bomb the ISIS because invading Iraq and electing Maliki is essentially like invading Iraq killing Sadam and give the whole country to Iran to do whatever they please on abusing the sunnies.
Big mistake. Big big mistake.

I love it when US foreign policy scores own goals :thumb001:

StonyArabia
06-27-2014, 04:31 AM

No, to be honest, the problem is not with Maliki but his ideological out look. He is not a nationalist this is the problem and belongs to sectarian religious party another problem. If anyone who should have gotten into office it would have been Ayad Jamal Al-din, as he was truly nationalist and representative of all ethnic groups in the region. Iran is not good for regional stability on the contrary. If it really wanted a stable neighbour it would have done so a long time. Ayad Jamal Al-din was also opposed to Iranian interference in Iraq's affair due to its negative effect, he was a Shia himself. Not all Shias are pro-Iran, this is a myth. Maliki puts Iranian interests above his people, Ayad Jamal Al-din never would do this, and he and his party has wide support of all ethnic and tribal groups in Iraq not so much with Maliki. If Maliki was truly for his people, all the people would have loved him and saw him as great leader, but sadly he is not, and represent a segment of the population not even the majority, not all Shias support him. The problem after 2003 the parties that took power were based on religious sectarian element none of them was secular, which lead to tensions, but reconciliation can happen if Maliki's party becomes more inclusive and does power sharing or it federalizes Iraq, but it should also adopt and implant the ideas of Ayad Jamal Al-din, but this will never happen though since it's see's itself as religious party.

SardiniaAtlantis
06-27-2014, 04:50 AM
Maliki is a scumbag.

Maliki is a Kurd. So long as he is in power maybe Kurds will say he doesn't do much for them but they are safe, and Kurdistan much more prosperous. Maliki is great.

Drawing-slim
06-27-2014, 04:57 AM
I love it when US foreign policy scores own goals :thumb001:
That is very well put in short.
I don't agree with however since I'm on the US side but you're correct.

StonyArabia
06-27-2014, 04:58 AM
Maliki is a Kurd. So long as he is in power maybe Kurds will say he doesn't do much for them but they are safe, and Kurdistan much more prosperous. Maliki is great.

Maliki is not a Kurd, he is a Shia Arab and he does have political power, and actually he was still and is on dispute with Kurds especially toward Kirkuk and few other cities. Talbani who is the president of Iraq but wields no political power other than representative title is a Kurd.

SardiniaAtlantis
06-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Maliki is not a Kurd, he is a Shia Arab and he does have political power, and actually he was still and is on dispute with Kurds especially toward Kirkuk and few other cities. Talbani who is the president of Iraq but wields no political power other than representative title is a Kurd.

Right I meant Talbani.... He might not wield any power you say, but I know that since hes been president Kurds have been much better off.

StonyArabia
06-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Right I meant Talbani.... He might not wield any power you say, but I know that since hes been president Kurds have been much better off.

Well Kurds are better off because, they got autonomy, and now they are actually de facto independent not really due to his efforts, and as well help from the Americans. However the Iraqi central government does not want to them to secede, Though historically they had better cultural and linguistic rights in Iraq before the 1980's, than in any of the nations they reside, this of course changed, but then the country itself went to downward spiral that it seems it can't climb up.

SardiniaAtlantis
06-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Well Kurds are better off because, they got autonomy, and now they are actually de facto independent not really due to his efforts, and as well help from the Americans. However the Iraqi central government does not want to them to secede, Though historically they had better cultural and linguistic rights in Iraq before the 1980's, than in any of the nations they reside, this of course changed, but then the country itself went to downward spiral that it seems it can't climb up.

Of course they dont want them to secede it would take a war for that.

StonyArabia
06-27-2014, 05:16 AM
Of course they dont want them to secede it would take a war for that.

Yes, but I doubt a war will happen, and it's quite complex. The Kurds might get their state eventually, and the rest will broken apart or the borders altered. None of the leaders of Iraq are really for Iraq, there only it for the money but not for the nation or people, this why it's chaotic but if there was a good leader like Ayad Jamal Al-din such matters would not have occurred and Iraq could have stood on it's two feet. They need to look at Oman as a role model.

N1019
01-15-2015, 11:31 PM
I love it when US foreign policy scores own goals

Has the US really scored an own goal?

Maybe, but while it might be a tantalizing thought, what will the final score be?

Oh, and I wouldn't bet on those Sukhois being a total game changer, either. ISIS are in business and they mean business.

The Kurds might get their state eventually, and the rest will broken apart or the borders altered.

Agreed, this is what they are heading towards.

Loki
01-16-2015, 02:17 AM
Oh, and I wouldn't bet on those Sukhois being a total game changer, either. ISIS are in business and they mean business.

ISIS will be destroyed, one way or another. Syria and Iraq are not exactly the Afghan mountains.

Demhat
01-16-2015, 03:08 AM
Maliki is a joke, and he is not PM anymore. He needs jets for what? To hand them over to ISIS.

The Kurds have done it without jets.

N1019
01-16-2015, 08:42 AM
ISIS will be destroyed, one way or another. Syria and Iraq are not exactly the Afghan mountains.

Not while they are still getting support from the US and allies.

Some people might think that the US etc are against ISIS because they laid a few eggs on them here and there. Alas, that is not the case, as many users on here already know.

Should the US decide to attack ISIS everywhere, and cut off all support, they could be destroyed. If they continue their very selective attacks, it would seem they actually want ISIS to maintain control of some territory... territory earmarked as a future Sunni State, perhaps?