PDA

View Full Version : What does your name mean?

Beorn
02-14-2010, 11:38 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Education/Pix/pictures/2010/2/4/1265298203904/Surnames-developed-to-ens-001.jpg

Are you called Longnose or Sheepshanks, Vuggles or Halfknight?

Whether one of the last remaining bearers of a rare surname, or just a Smith or Jones, most people have a curiosity about where their surname came from and how it evolved. My surname – Tickle, it turns out, comes from the place called Tickhill in the old West Riding of Yorkshire, and isn't quite as rare as you might think.
Thanks to an Ł835,000 grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Council, it's a curiosity that may soon be satisfied. The money is for a research project into UK family names to be launched in April at the University of the West of England (UWE), which will provide a publicly available, online database of the meanings and origins of up to 150,000 extant surnames.

Avid perusal of the database may confirm individuals' hopes of links to an aristocratic past; alternatively, UWE's researchers might pinpoint your name as having been given sometime in the Middle Ages to the local squire's favourite pig-keeper.
There are already various surname dictionaries, explains the principal investigator, Richard Coates (pictured right), professor of linguistics, but the question is whether previous researchers have made accurate interpretations of old forms of a name. "My current judgment is that often they haven't," he says. "Another major problem is where the suggested interpretation doesn't tie up with the known history of the families bearing it."

Though thousands of names are already known, in collaboration with lexicographer Dr Patrick Hanks, Coates and three researchers will want to find the ones that got away. They will soon be poring over old county rolls, medieval records and parish registers to find a sprinkling of names never before included in any database.
In order to build a profile for each name, information will be collected on the ways it was spelled, when and where it was first recorded, and its social and regional distribution, as well as its frequency.

At first, explains Coates, people simply didn't bother with surnames. "The need for surnames came from inherited wealth. You needed to be able to leave your money down the family line and make sure it went to the right Edward, Henry or William," he says. "That wealth was also taxable and the right Edward had to be taxed."
"There were far more given names in Anglo-Saxon England than in the 12th and 13th centuries. At the end of the Anglo-Saxon period, only the aristocracy have second names. As the number of given names reduces, so the need for distinctive second names grows."
Once the fashion for second names got started, aristocratic naming patterns filtered down to the lower classes relatively rapidly in most of England.

"For most of the country, surnames came during the late Middle Ages, and the trend spread from south to north," says Coates. "It's interesting that in certain regions, eg Lancashire and Wales, their widespread use is only seen much later."
There are, it turns out, four broad categories of surname. The first identifies someone by their relationship to other people. "This usually involves adopting the father's given name, giving rise to Jackson or Jacks or even just Jack; or Macdonald, in Gaelic Scotland," says Coates.
The second identifies a person by where they might be found; Hill or Green are examples, as is Coates's own name. "It literally means 'cottages' in Middle English. It is also applied as a place name, and in my family research, I discovered that Cotes is the name of a small place in my grandfather's ancestral county of Staffordshire, so that's probably where it comes from."

A third way surnames are formed is through description of a person, often relating to hair or skin tone: for example White, Short, Armstrong or Russell.
Finally comes occupation, with names such as Naylor (a nail maker), Leech (a doctor), Wheelwright (a wheel maker), Baxter (initially denoting a female baker) and Frobisher (a polisher). Sadly, Coates says the funniest name he's come across is unsuitable for publication in a family newspaper.
Decoding how names changed as people moved from place to place, and with different styles of spelling, will be part of the task facing the research team. Nor is it the case, says Coates, that women have always taken their husbands' names.
"Then there's the question of illegitimacy. In one sense it wouldn't matter what an illegitimate child were called if there was nothing to inherit, but, if you and your mother were abandoned, an identifying surname would be crucial to establish which parish was responsible for paying to look after you."

The most academically demanding part of the research will be interpreting the oldest names, and working out which language they were first formulated in: Norman French, Scots, Gaelic, Welsh, English, Dutch, German and Yiddish could all be sources. "The background assumption is that language change is regular," says Coates."So when you collect evidence and interpret one name, you can be reasonably confident you will see the same patterns in other words and names in the same language."
The bonanza moment in this type of research, he says, is when you realise you have gathered enough information to make a judgment that's never been reached on how a particular name came about.
Are there some surnames whose origins the team won't manage to work out?

Coates grins. "Undoubtedly some will be uninterpretable. If we can explain every name with more than 100 bearers we'll be happy. If we can explain lots with less than 100, we'll be very happy indeed."

Lickerish by name?

The names below all had up to 200 bearers in 1881. It is not known how many, if any, are still in use today.

Bolus Old Norse for 'poleaxe'
Champflower From a village in NormandyGwatkin Apparently a Welsh-influenced form of Watkin 'little Walter', from the Herefordshire area
Halfknight Maybe one who held half a knight's fee, or maybe just abusive
Lickerish 'Randy'
Marmion Old French for 'monkey'
McCambridge Anglicised Gaelic for 'son of Ambrose'
Pitchfork Rare variant of Pitchford, place in Shropshire
Prettyjohn Variant of Prester John, a fabled oriental ruler of the 12th century
Puddifoot 'Fat vat'
Slorance Scots, of uncertain *meaning
Stiddolph From the Old English 'hard', 'wolf'

Source (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/feb/09/surname-meaning-history-research-online)

Bard
02-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Ahh very interesting, I like this kind of things. I've been doing some researches by myself too.

My father's surname is formed according to the occupation, it's the equivalent of "miller" or "mueller"
My mother's surname is formed in the second way, it is the name of an austrian noble family (which still exists in italy, where they moved) so probably her ancestors worked for the family as servants or farmers who knows.

Nordish Persephone
02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
My last name, Weir (of scottish descent) means Corra in Gaelic. Its actually not my real name though, I got it from a French ancestor with the last name "De Vere." He was brought to Scotland as a captive and later became famous.

Don
03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
My paternal lineage holds a surname (VERY RARE), who's origins are found in one of the many Celtiberian-gothic warriors who fought in the first episodes in the Reconquista in the battles against the Islam in XI century, in his case, at the service of Navarre Crown.
Previous origins could not be tracked.

His fidelity and valor in battle showed in some episodes was recompensed with a nobility tittle, lands and servants in a northern region of Spain whose name I keep to myself due to the rarity of this surname and the easily trackable lineage to me and my family.

Anyway, he was called to define him in a way that in ancient latin-castilianized means Firm

firm definition

firm (fʉrm)

adjective
not yielding easily under pressure; solid; hard
not moved or shaken easily; fixed; stable
continued steadily; remaining the same
unchanging; resolute; constant
showing determination, strength, etc.

This is the rare surname of my paternal lineage, whose first signals in history are those explained and the further track of the few inheritors was established by the generations in Reconquista in Toledo, capital city of Castile.

-Addition: The visigothic nobility used to have surnames based in names with the -EZ meaning son of. (lopEZ son of Lope, MartinEZ son of Martín, FernandEZ son of Fernando, etc) so... this, mine, since is a "new and with meaning" is easy to conclude that this ancestor was not visigothic but Celtiberian or celt or Iberian or whatever are now called those native ancient dwellers of Iberia that joined the cristianity and visigothic Hordes against the Islamic Invaders.

Germanicus
03-04-2010, 10:08 PM
[quote] :[Osweo] So, an ancestor of yours is likely to have lived on that farm. Unbelievable to be able to pinpoint it, eh?

Recently Osweo took time to find out the possible meaning of my surname, he narrowed it down to a Welsh Celtic place name that was replaced with Old Englisc.
My Surname comes only from one place in the British Isles and that place is definately Lancashire, near Warrington.
Part of my surname was Old Englisc for a Barrow.

Solwyn
03-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Cormier = fruit farmer. "Corme" was an old general world relating to fruit trees. A cormier worked those trees and produced fruit....so at one point we were farmers. I told this to Dave one day and he looked at me and said, "......so I'm living with a picker??? Is this right? Do you have any Mexican friends that I don't know about??"

:eek:

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
my firstname means 'courageous bear' and my surname means 'noble son'

Amarantine
03-15-2010, 12:51 PM
my firstname means 'courageous bear' and my surname means 'noble son'

How that sounds in your language?

Nationalitist
03-16-2010, 04:40 AM
My surname is of West African origin.

Turkophagos
03-16-2010, 05:41 AM
My surname would be translated as "Liarson" or "Fakeson" in english...

Ćscwyn
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
My father's surname means 'war fortress' and my mother's surname (a common Lancashire name) is a Middle English form of Gundric.

Grey
09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
My distant paternal ancestor was a Noir ('black') who moved to Liguria, where his name was translated into Italian, and a suffix meaning 'large' got tacked on through the years. This was my name from birth, though in the course of familial disputes I've legally retaken my grandmother's name, which is an aberrant Swiss form of Ritter ('rider', associated with knights).

Also, my first name means 'One who belongs to Jove' and my middle name means 'Twin'.

A funny thing which isn't strictly related is that my great-grandfather bore this name associated with knights, and his wife's maiden name originated with a Crusader.

Thor
09-01-2010, 07:44 PM
My firstname means stone of Thor and my last name is Gislason because my fathers name is Gisli im not sure what Gisli meant in old norse but in modern icelandic it would mean Captive.

Vasconcelos
09-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I have a Greek name and it literally means "Sun".

My family name is Rodrigues, which means "son of Rodrigo"..no idea who the heck he was, it was not an uncommon name in the last 1400 years lol

Vasconcelos is a toponym.

Aramis
09-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Mine's "mosquito". What an unpleasant surname. That's what you get from ancestors who lived near swamps.

SAlNWxODVHE

Gamera
09-02-2010, 12:41 AM
One of my surnames is "Glavaš" which is Croatian means "big head", I think.

Aramis
09-02-2010, 12:46 AM
One of my surnames is "Glavaš" which is Croatian means "big head", I think.

Judge for yourself. Here you got the most famous Glavaš:

http://www.jutarnji.hr/multimedia/archive/00212/branimir-glavas_212087S1.jpg

http://s.seebiz.eu/files/img/2007/11/25/glavas-001.jpg

Gamera
09-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Judge for yourself. Here you got the most famous Glavaš:

http://www.jutarnji.hr/multimedia/archive/00212/branimir-glavas_212087S1.jpg

http://s.seebiz.eu/files/img/2007/11/25/glavas-001.jpg

I know him, yes. Actually, and I'm not joking, he looks very much like my great-granfather whose surname was Glavaš... my family sometimes even wonders if we are related to him, hehe.

Aramis
09-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I know him, yes. Actually, and I'm not joking, he looks very much like my great-granfather whose surname was Glavaš... my family sometimes even wonders if we are related to him, hehe.

From wich part of Croatia was your great-grandfather from if I may ask?

Gamera
09-02-2010, 12:55 AM
From wich part of Croatia was your great-grandfather from if I may ask?

From the zone of Rijeka or Dalmatia, I'm not sure but it was one of those.

Beowulf
05-08-2023, 05:38 PM
"Boy's name of Slavic, Russian, and Hebrew origins, meaning “God is gracious.” The name is thought to derive from John, which also bears the etymology."