PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me more about the Magyar (Hungarian peoples) and their language?

Amou
06-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I've recently become quite interested in both the Hungarian language and its people. Despite not knowing much about either, only discovering that Hungarian is reguarded as an extremelu difficult language, which it is, that much I know. Can anyone tell me more about and if you have had personal experiences? I find the country so enticing :)

**I recently asked this question in the Magyar forum, but I only received spam as a response**

Szög
06-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Hungarian language
Hungarian is the official language of Hungary and it is also spoken by communities of Hungarian people in neighbouring countries—especially in Romania, Slovakia, Serbia and Ukraine—and by Hungarian communities worldwide. It belongs to the Uralic language family, and is not part of the Indo-European family.
Phonology
Hungarian has 14 vowel phonemes and 25 consonant phonemes. The vowel phonemes can be grouped as pairs of short and long vowels, e.g. o and ó.
Consonant length is also distinctive in Hungarian. Most of the consonant phonemes can occur as geminates.
Prosody
Primary stress is always on the first syllable of a word, there is secondary stress on other syllables in compounds, e.g. viszontlátásra ("goodbye") pronounced /ˈvisontˌlaːtaːʃrɒ/. Elongated vowels in non-initial syllables may seem to be stressed to the ear of an English speaker, since length and stress correlate in English.
Grammar
Hungarian is an agglutinative language. It uses various affixes, mainly suffixes, but also some prefixes and a circumfix to change a word's meaning and grammatical function.
Vowel harmony
Hungarian uses vowel harmony when attaching suffixes to words. This means that most suffixes have two or three different forms and the choice between them depends on the vowels of the word.
Nouns
Nouns have a large number of cases (up to 18, depending on definition), but in general, they are formed regularly with suffixes. Unlike English, Hungarian has no prepositions; instead, it uses case suffixes and postpositions.
There are two types of articles in Hungarian, definite and indefinite, roughly corresponding to the English equivalents.

Adjectives
Adjectives precede nouns (a piros alma ‘the red apple’). They have three degrees: positive (piros ‘red’), comparative (pirosabb ‘redder’), and superlative ( a legpirosabb ‘the reddest’). If the noun takes the plural or a case, the adjective, used attributively, does not agree with it: a piros almák ‘the red apples’. However, when the adjective is used in a predicative sense, it must agree with the noun: az almák pirosak ‘the apples are red’. Adjectives in themselves can behave as nouns (e.g. take case suffixes): Melyik almát kéred? – A pirosat. 'Which apple would you like? – The red one.'
Verbs
- verbs are conjugated according two tenses (past and present)
- three moods (indicative, conditional and imperative-subjunctive
- two numbers (singular or plural)
- three persons (first, second and third) and according to object definiteness.
Since conjugation expresses the person and number, personal pronouns are usually omitted, unless they are emphasized.
- the Present tense is unmarked
- the past is formed using the suffix –t or –tt: lát 'sees'; látott 'saw', past
- future may be expressed either with the present tense (usually with a word defining the time of the event, such as holnap 'tomorrow'), or using the auxiliary verb fog (similar to the English ‘will’) together with the verb’s infinitive
The indicative mood and the conditional mood are used both in the present and the past tenses. Conditional past is expressed using the conjugated past form and the auxiliary word volna (látott volna 'would have seen'). The imperative mood is used only with the present tense.
Verbs have verbal prefixes, also known as coverbs. Most of them define direction of movement (as lemegy "goes down", felmegy "goes up"). Some verbal prefixes give an aspect to the verb, such as the prefix meg-, which generally marks telicity.
Word order
The neutral word order is subject–verb–object (SVO). However, Hungarian is a topic-prominent language, which means that word order does not only depend on syntax, but also on the topic-comment structure of the sentence (e.g. what aspect is assumed to be known and what is emphasized).
A Hungarian sentence generally has the following order: topic, comment (or focus), verb, other parts.
Putting something into the topic means that the proposition is only stated for that particular thing or aspect, and implies that the proposition is not true for some others. For example, in the sentence "Az almát János látja." ('John sees the apple', more exactly, 'It is John who sees the apple.'), the apple is in the topic, implying that other objects may not be seen by him, but by other people (the pear may be seen by Peter). The topic part may be empty.
Putting something in the focus means that it is the new information for the listener that he may have not known or where his knowledge must be corrected. For example, in the sentence "Én vagyok az apád." ('I am your father', more exactly, 'It is me who is your father.') from the movie Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, the pronoun I (én) is in the focus, implying that this is new information, and the listener thought that another person is his father.
Note that sometimes this is described as Hungarian having free word order, even though different word orders are generally not interchangeable and the neutral order is not always correct to use. Besides word order, intonation is also different with different topic-comment structures. The topic usually has a rising intonation and the focus has a falling intonation. In the following examples the topic is marked with italics, and the focus (comment) with boldface.
• János látja az almát. - ‘John sees the apple.’ Neutral sentence.
• János látja az almát. - ‘John does see the apple.’ - But Peter may not. (Putting John to the topic indicates that the proposition may not be true if we replace the topic, in this case John, by something else)
• János látja az almát. - ‘It is John who sees the apple.’ - The listener may have thought it was Peter.
• János az almát látja. - ‘What John sees is the apple.’ - It is specifically the apple that John sees and not the pear. By contrast Peter may see the pear.
• Az almát látja János. - 'The apple is indeed seen by John.' or more exactly 'Considering the apple, it is seeing what happens to it by John - But the pear may not be seen by him (but for example smelled).
• Az almát János látja. - 'It is by John that the apple is seen.' - It is not by Peter. But the pear may be seen by Peter.

Word formation
Words can be compounds or derived. Most derivation is with suffixes, but there is a small set of derivational prefixes as well.

Compounds
Compounds are made up of two base words: the first is the prefix, the latter is the suffix. A compound can be subordinative: the prefix is in logical connection with the suffix. If the prefix is the subject of the suffix, the compound is generally classified as a subjective one. There are objective, determinative, and adjunctive compounds as well.
Other compound words are coordinatives: there is no concrete relation between the prefix and the suffix. Subcategories include word duplications (to emphasise the meaning;olykor-olykor 'really occasionally'), twin words (where a base word and a distorted form of it makes up a compound: gizgaz, where the suffix 'gaz' means 'weed' and the prefix giz is the distorted form; the compound itself means 'inconsiderable weed'), and such compounds which have meanings, but neither their prefixes, nor their suffixes make sense (for example, hercehurca 'complex, obsolete procedures').
A compound also can be made up by multiple (i.e., more than two) base words: in this case, at least one word element, or even both the prefix and the suffix is a compound. Some examples:
elme [mind; standalone base] + (gyógy [medical] + intézet [institute]) → elmegyógyintézet (asylum)
(hadi [militarian] + fogoly [prisoner]) + (munka [work] + tábor [camp]) → hadifogoly-munkatábor (work camp of prisoners of war)
Word order
The word order is basically from general to specific. This is a typical analytical approach and is used generally in Hungarian.
Name order
The Hungarian language uses the so-called eastern name order, in which the surname (general, deriving from the family) comes first and the first name comes last.
Date and time
The Hungarian convention for date and time is to go from the generic to the specific: 1. year, 2. month, 3. day, 4. hour, 5. minute, (6. second)
Hours, minutes, and seconds are separated by a colon (H:m:s). Fractions of a second are separated by a full stop from the rest of the time. Hungary generally uses the 24-hour clock format, but in verbal (and written) communication 12-hour clock format can also be used.
Date and time may be separated by a comma or simply written one after the other.
• 2008. február 9. 16:23:42 or 2008. február 9., 16:23:42
• 2008. febr. 9.
• 2008. 02. 09. or 2008. 2. 9. (rarely)
• 2008. II. 9.
Date separated by hyphen is also spreading, especially on date stamps. Here – just like the version separated by full stops – leading zeros are in use.
• 2008-02-09

Addresses
The traditional Hungarian style is: 1052 Budapest, Deák Ferenc tér 1.
So the order is 1. postcode, 2., city 3., street 4., house number. Note that addresses on envelopes should be formatted as follows: Name of recipient/City/Street Address/postcode.

arcticwolf
06-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Szog, I got a headache just reading about it!

Had no idea you had to suffer so very much linguistically! :laugh:

Szög
06-28-2014, 08:34 PM
I suffered indeed. Universities make you suffer. :)

Stears
06-30-2014, 07:27 AM
We have much higher contribution in science (and we have more international scientific and mathematics awards and prizes ) and in sports in per capita ratio than any other bigger nations (including France Germany UK, and USA)

Stears
06-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Hungary (similar to Poland and Croatia) were the defensive wall of catholic-protestant Western civilization against Ottoman Muslim and Orthodox semi-asian culture and aspirations in the history.

Stears
06-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Culturally, both islam and the semi-asian orthodox countries were traditionally west-hater civilizations. Hungary is a Central European country, and part of the Catholic-Protestant western civilization. Hungary is not Eastern European (Orthodox = semi-asian culture) country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clash_of_Civilizations_map.png

What is Western Civilization?
The earliest mention of Western civilization “Occidental civilis”
After the Great Schism (The East-West Schism /formally in 1054/, between Western Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christianity.) Hungary determined itself as the easternmost bastion of Western civilisation (This statement was affirmed later by Pope Pius II who wrote that to Emperor Friedrich III, “Hungary is the shield of Christianity and the protector of Western civilization”)
It is not a secret in history, that countries civilizations are/were not in the same level of development.
It is well-known that Western and Central Europe, ( the so-called Western civilization) was always more developed than Orthodox Slavic or Eastern European civilization.
The cultural the societal-system and the economical civilizational (and technological) differences between Orthodox countries and Western Christian (Catholic-Protestant) countries were similar great, as the differences between Northern America (USA Canada) and Southern- (Latino) America.

MEMENTO:
Western things which were not existed in orthodox world:

1.Medieval appearance of parliaments (a legislative body(!), DO NOT CONFUSE with the “councils of monarchs” which existed since the beginning of human history),
2. Knights, the knight-culture and the technological effects of crusades from the Holy Land,
3.The self-government status of big royal/imperial cities, (local government systems of cities), which is the direct ancestor of modern self/local governmental systems.
4. The appearance of stone / brick castle defense system and fortified cities, and the town-walls of western cities from the 11th century. (In the orthodox world, only the capital cities had such a walls , The countries of the Balkan region and the territory of Russian states fell under Ottoman/Mongolian rule very rapidly - with a single decesive open-field battle - due to the lack of the network of stone/brick castles and fortresses in these countries. The only exception was the greek inhabited Byzantine territories which were well fortified.)
5. The medieval appearance of banking systems and social effects and status of urban bourgeoisie, the absolute dominance of money-economy (when the vast majority of trade based on money and the taxes customs duties were collected in money) from the 12th -13th century, instead of the former primitive bartel-based commerce (barter dominated the economies orthodox world until the 17-18th centuries.)
6.The medieval appearance of universities and the medieval appearance of secular intellectuals,
7.Philosophy: Scholasticism and humanist philosophy,
8.The medieval usage of Latin alphabet and medieval spread of movable type printing,
9.The medieval western theater: Mystery or cycle plays, morality and passion plays,
10.The western architecture, sculpture paintings and fine-arts: the Romanesque style, the Gothic style and the Renaissance style.
The orthodox church buildings and „palaces(?)” were very little, they had primitive structure and poor decorations, their style were influenced by non-European arabic and persian influenced ornamentics.

The renaissance & humanism , the reformation and the enlightenment did not influenced/affected the Orthodox (Eastern European) countries.
Before 1870, the industrialization that had developed in Western and Central Europe and the United States did not extend in any significant way to the rest of the world. In Eastern Europe, industrialization lagged far behind, and started only in the 20th century.

Ctwentysevenj
06-30-2014, 08:11 AM
How close is Hungarian to other members of the Finno-Ugric group, Finnish and Estonian.

Han Cholo
06-30-2014, 08:19 AM
How close is Hungarian to other members of the Finno-Ugric group, Finnish and Estonian.

When a Finn and a Hungarian meet usually either one asks: Is it true that the Finnish and the Hungarian languages are related? This kind of question is hardly asked when lingustically closer speakers like Finns and Estonians meet, because they understand each other to some extent even though they both speak their own languages. But the relationship between Finnish and Hungarian is completely different. It only means that they belong to the same linguistical family, it is at the closest something like how the English language is related to the German language. To recognize a linguistical relationship of this kind requires linguistical expertise and is beyond the competence of a layman.

This can even lead to really significant misinterpretations. I comment some of them here. A Hungarian journalist visited Finland some months ago and noticed with astonishment how far away Finnish and Hungarian are from each other, even though they are supposed to be related. He was, however, very pleased to discover this word in Finnish: l a a t i k k o (box), with the same meaning as the Hungarian l á d i k ó. But he didn't notice that they both were loanwords, from different languages. A Finnish tourist was very disappointed when he was told that the Finnish word t a r k k a (accurate) has a different meaning from the Hungarian t a r k a (motley).

If they had allotted a little bit more time to acquaint themselves to Finnish-Hungarian vocabulary comparisons resulting from linguistical research, they had noticed, in addition to those astonishingly close similarities, that there are even a bigger number of related words which are not right away recognized as such, e.g., Hung. k é z (hand) = Finn. k ä s i , Hung. v é r (blood) = Finn. v e r i, Hung. m é z (honey) = Finn. m e s i, Hung. s z a r v (horn) = Finn. s a r v i, Hung. v a j (butter) = Finn. v o i, Hung. e l e v e n (alive) = Finn. e l ä v ä, Hung. m e n n i (to go) = Finn. m e n n ä, Hung. r e p e d (to be torn) = Finn. r e p e ä ä etc.. which give a direct hint to a common origin. To notice similarities between Hung. f e j (head) = Finn. p ä ä, Hung. f é s z e k (nest) = Finn. p e s ä, Hung. f é l (to be afraid) = Finn. p e l k ä ä, Hung. f a k a d (to become fulfilled) = Finn. p a k a h t u a and other words is considerably more difficult, if you are not aware that the letter f in the beginning of the word regularly match the Finnish p. Or, the letter n in Finnish is often replaced by ny in Hungarian, as in Finn. n i e l l ä (swallow) = Hung. n y e l n i, Finn. m i n i ä (daughter-in-law) = Hung. m e n y. The long ő, met in the end of a Hungarian word, has previously been a diphtong öü or eü and even more previously ev. The consonant v in this is still often met in words like, e.g. Hung. k ő [the accusative case k ö v e t ] (stone) = Finn. k i v i , Hung. t ő (tree base) = Finn. t y v i and Hung. v ő (son-in-law) = Finn. v ä v y.

What is the cause for these dissimilarities and is it possible to prove a relationship between the Hungarian and the Finnish languages at all? First of all, we have to notice the very large geographical distance between the peoples, one living on the coast of Gulf of Finland and the other one living in the Danube valley. Secondly, the separation of these two peoples took place a very long time ago. The scattering of the Finno-Ugric family of peoples from their ancestral home occurred about c. 4,500 years ago, this can be compared to the divergence of Germanic languages only ab. 2,000* years ago.

And furthermore, one should not forget that there are nine completely independent Finno-Ugric languages (Finnish, Sami, Mordvin, Cheremis/Mari, Zyryan/Komi, Votyak/Udmurt, Ostyak/Hanty, Vogul/Mansi and Hungarian) forming a language chain with seven intermediate links separating Finnish and Hungarian at the opposite ends of this chain. This is not of little importance. If we look for the number of common words, only ab. 200 words with counterparts in Finnish can be found in Hungarian, but between Hungarian and the Vogul/Mansi the number is two times bigger, approximately 400 words, a significant number if you compare it to a vocabulary of 5-600 words used by an uneducated man from countryside.

The two hundred common words for both Finnish and Hungarian belong to the oldest stratum of the basic language representing staple words needed in everyday language and describing simple concepts: parts of the human body, family members, natural phenomena, elementary tools, hunting and fishing etc. The related words in Hungarian are not, of course, precisely similar to the corresponding Finnish words. During the separation of 4,500 years all sorts of modifications took place in both languages, both in phonetics and sometimes also in the meaning of the word. Loanwords from foreign languages also diversified the development of the sister languages, sometimes, however, leading to a common source in Latin, Germanic or Slavic languages even though being borrowed from different languages.

In addition to common words, one of the hardest feature to resist any changes has been the very structure of the language, the similarity of grammar, especially the similar system for inflection of words and deriving new words which gives the most important proof of a linguistical relationship, . Word endings are very typical to Finno-Ugric languages, they are much more common there than in Indo-Germanic languages. Even multiple endings can be attached to words making it possible to create words bearing a resemblance to an anaconda, like in Finnish t u n t e m a t t o m u u d e l l a n i ("ignorance-with-my", with my ignorance/unknowing) = Hung. t u d a t l a n s á g o d d a l **) or Finn. u i s k e n t e l e m a s s a, ("swimming-being-when", when doing the swimming) = Hung. ú s z k á l g a t v á n.

http://www.histdoc.net/sounds/hungary.html

The page makes a comparison of German vs. English, but I'd say it's more like as close as Spanish is to Serbian.

blogen
06-30-2014, 08:05 PM

Very distant. Their language is totally incomprehensible for us and there are not understandable common words because of the sound changes. Except between the Ugric languages. Some paralell:

5500-4500 years ago:
- Old European disintegration onto proto-Italic, proto-Celtic and proto-Garmanic langauges between the Indoeuropeans
- Finno-Ugric disintegration onto proto-Ugric and proto-Fennic languages between the Uralics.

For example Finnish vs. Hungarian = English vs. Spanish.

4000-3000 years ago:
- Indo-Iranian disintegration onto Iranic and Aryan languages between the Indoiranians.
- Ugric disintegriton onto proto-Ob Ugric and proto-Magyar languages between the Ugric peoples. The birth of the Hungarian language.

For example Ob Ugric vs. Hungarian = Kurdish vs. Hindi

Xanthias
06-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Everythin you need to know about Hungaria.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/nomadic-tent-bosztorpuszta-hungary-20713471.jpg

Fakirbakir
06-30-2014, 10:09 PM

The Khanty and Mansi languages are the closest to Hungarian.

Khanty family in Siberia
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Khanty_family.jpg

Fakirbakir
06-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Everythin you need to know about Hungaria.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/nomadic-tent-bosztorpuszta-hungary-20713471.jpg

There is no proof that Hungarians ever used Yurts.

Stears
07-01-2014, 07:16 PM
The Khanty and Mansi languages are the closest to Hungarian. Khanty family in Siberia http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Khanty_family.jpg As you know, they are not real Khanty, and they did not lived there. The Russian expansion of 17th century forced them to move there. Later they heavily mixed with siberians, which caused their feature change.

Stears
07-01-2014, 07:19 PM
EVERYTHING YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT ROMANIANS.

VLACHS (Romanians) WERE THE LATEST NOMADIC ETHNIC GROUP IN EUROPE. Vlachs were known as late - nomadic people in medieval chronicles. The first romanian vlach churches were built only around the turn of the 13th and 14th century. No known archiutecture existed before that period. The romanian literacy and chronicles appeared only in the 15th century.USE Google books! (The word's largest digitalized library, the largest collection of printed books) See the google book results (search the british american candian authors about medieval romanians Vlachs):

Carleton Stevens Coon: The races of Europe, Page 614
" Vlach colonists are nomads living in black tents like those of ... A greater variation is found in the cephalic index; on the plains of Moldavia and Wallachia, and in the Dobruja"

Robert William Seton-Watson: A history of the Roumanians: from Roman times to the completion of unity, page: 12
"The Roumanians undoubtedly preserved their nomadic habits to a very late date, as is proved by the existence of Vlach colonies in Moravia (the so-called "Little Wallachia" — long since completely Slavised)"

Mandell Creighton, Justin Winsor, Samuel Rawson Gardiner: The English Historical Review page:- 615.
"He shows that the Vlachs of the Balkan peninsula throughout the middle ages are nomads of the strictest type, ... that Vlachs began to move north of the Danube to Wallachia and Transylvania "

Joan E. Durrant, Anne B. Smith Global Pathways to Abolishing Physical Punishment: Realizing Children’s Rights ( PAGE 210)

"Between the 3rd century A.D. and the 14th century A.D., Dacia was invaded successively by nomadic peoples, including the ... Romanians "

Norman Berdichevsky: Nations, Language and Citizenship -page: 181.
"The “true Romanians” are held to be interlopers who were nomadic shepherds that migrated into Transylvania from the ... then transferred to “Wallachia,” the traditional core area of the Romanian state located east and south of Transylvania."

Other elements in the population of Greece are the Wallachians or Vlachs, the Turks, and the Jews, but they have never ... The Wallachians are a curious nomadic race

David Bruce Macdonald - 2002 Balkan Holocausts?: Serbian and Croatian Victim Centered ... page- 131

"These hinterland Romans evolved into highland herdsmen, who for centuries led a primitive nomadic life"

Lampe, John R, Jackson, Marvin R. Balkan Economic History, 1550 - 1950: From Imperial Borderlands to ... page - 612.
"Vlachs had first acquired their commercial connections in the course of moving their livestock seasonally back and forth between high and low ground. ... Alan J.B. Wace and M.S. Thompson, The Nomads of the Balkans (New York: Books for Libraries Press, 1971)"

Jane Perry Clark Carey, Andrew Galbraith Carey : The Web of Modern Greek Politics - page 73
"shepherds and nomadic herdsmen, wandering through the Balkans and the north of Greece. On their early migrations they gave the Vlach name to various districts, including the province of Wallachia in present-day Romania"

Chambers's Encyclopedia - Volume 14. page:- 339.
"The Vlachs are usually mentioned as following nomadic or semi-nomadic lives as shepherds etc. in wild mountain ... nth century was known as 'Great Wallachia' and seems to have contained a relatively dense and settled Vlach population."

Denys Hay: Europe in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries page: 220
"In the first half of the fourteenth century there also appeared there the two Romanian principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia. ... or whether the Hungarians are right in their thesis that these Vlachs were recently immigrated nomadic shepherds"

Frank Moore Colby, Talcott Williams, Herbert Treadwell Wade: The New International Encyclopaedia Voluma 20. Page: 219
"Owing to their nomadic and predatory dispositions these Vlachs, as they are called by the Greek writers, were a ... the autonomous Rumanian principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia, which grew rapidly towards south and east until the former"

Isaiah Bowman: The New World: Problems in Political Geography page - 282
"or Wallachians The Rumanians, or Wallachs (hence Wallachia), are of mixed race but of distinct speech, the Ruman, ... Home places of the nomadic Vlachs The Vlachs , Rumanian nomadism is seen in its purest form among the detached"

Norman Angell : Peace Theories And The Balkan War page: - 107.
"It had been founded by a conquering caste of non-Slavonic nomads from the trans-Danubian steppes, but these were completely ... This Bulgarian state included a large 'Vlach' element descended from those Latin-speaking provincials whom the Slavs had pushed ... had established itself in the mountains of Transylvania, and was just beginning to push down into the Wallachian and Moldavian plains"

Tibor Frank, Frank Hadler : Disputed territories and shared pasts: overlapping national histories in modern Europe, page: 251
"Reference to Romanians in their preunification (1859) history was linked to the regional designation of Wallachia (today Oltenia and Muntenia) to the south ... This designation relates to the nomadic existence of the Balkan Vlach population."

Paul Coles : The Ottoman Impact on Europe - page: 114
" nomadic pastoralism provided a new lease of life for the Rumanian-speaking Vlachs, migratory herdsmen whose native principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia had fallen under Ottoman dominion during the fifteenth century"

Wace, Alan J. B. and Maurice S. Thompson. .:
"The Nomads of the Balkans: An Account of Life and Custom Among the Vlachs of Northern Pindus."

Fakirbakir
07-01-2014, 08:36 PM
As you know, they are not real Khanty, and they did not lived there. The Russian expansion of 17th century forced them to move there. Later they heavily mixed with siberians, which caused their feature change.

They are "real" Khanty. But, you are right, they are heavily mixed with Paleosiberians. They moved to Siberia around 500 AD. The Russian expansion perhaps pushed them further north.

JeanBaMac
07-02-2014, 03:04 AM
I've recently become quite interested in both the Hungarian language and its people. Despite not knowing much about either, only discovering that Hungarian is reguarded as an extremelu difficult language, which it is, that much I know. Can anyone tell me more about and if you have had personal experiences? I find the country so enticing :)

**I recently asked this question in the Magyar forum, but I only received spam as a response**

Magyar language is an Uralic (Finno-Ugric) language, of the Ugric branch.
It closest relatives are the Mansi and Khanti language of the Ural region, although they are not mutually intelligible.

Modern Magyars are mostly the descendants of autochtonous Central European populations, since Uralic invaders were very minoritary.

blogen
07-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Magyar language is an Uralic (Finno-Ugric) language, of the Ugric branch.
It closest relatives are the Mansi and Khanti language of the Ural region, although they are not mutually intelligible.

Modern Magyars are mostly the descendants of autochtonous Central European populations, since Uralic invaders were very minoritary.

http://s27.postimg.org/ip4m0ebs3/Untitled_1.jpg

Stears
07-02-2014, 05:36 AM
http://s27.postimg.org/ip4m0ebs3/Untitled_1.jpg Blogen is partlially gypsy. He considers everybody Hungarian (even minorities) who has Hungarian passport, .

Fakirbakir
07-02-2014, 01:46 PM

How would you explain the survival of Hungarian language? According to demographic researches, the majority of the population (up to 90 percent -- Potter, The New Cambridge modern history: The Renaissance, 1493-1520, p. 405) were ethnic Hungarians in the Late Middle Ages. Moreover, the Latin had been the language of education and administration since 1000 AD in the Kingdom of Hungary.