PDA

View Full Version : Classify Spanish actor Jan Cornet

Cristiano viejo
07-04-2014, 10:32 PM
From Catalonia

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/14/04/77/14047771_ori.jpg
http://www.antena3.com/clipping/2012/10/11/00466/31.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bbeuzMloErc/ULPE3PoBH5I/AAAAAAAAAHE/c9if3J-ywOI/s1600/osito-corazon_4574.jpg

guyinsf
07-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Is his last name Spanish or French? Even his first name isn't so Spanish sounding, wonder if he's full Spanish?

Damião de Góis
07-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Is his last name Spanish or French? Even his first name isn't so Spanish sounding, wonder if he's full Spanish?

It's a catalan surname.

Cristiano viejo
07-05-2014, 12:15 PM
His surnames are Catalans, Cornet Galí.
Why do you get surprised for this? ah yes... in your book itīs imposible to have Spanish as well ;)

guyinsf
07-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Why do you get surprised for this? ah yes... in your book itīs imposible to have Spanish as well ;)

Stop being so judgmental man! I was merely asking a question about the origin of a last name I had previously thought was French instead of Spanish. Why are you so defensive on such a harmless question? I just happen to know of a French tennis player with the name of Alize Cornet so I have always assumed it was French last name.

Anglojew
07-07-2014, 07:50 AM
All fair Spaniards seem to look very British. He certainly does.

Cristiano viejo
07-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Stop being so judgmental man! I was merely asking a question about the origin of a last name I had previously thought was French instead of Spanish. Why are you so defensive on such a harmless question? I just happen to know of a French tennis player with the name of Alize Cornet so I have always assumed it was French last name.
Because itīs the second time that you do it.

Bullshit.

Comte Arnau
07-07-2014, 01:11 PM

In both Catalan and French, the most common diminutive suffix is -ET. So several surnames look common to both languages. (In Spanish, it would be -ITO or -ILLO)

The most famous Catalan architect was Antoni Gaudí i Cornet, for instance.

Jan is one of the Catalan ways of saying John, the pronunciation being very close to how an American would say John. (In Spanish, it's Juan. In French, it's Jean)

guyinsf
07-08-2014, 06:14 AM
Because itīs the second time that you do it.

Whatever I had done in the past it's always for a good reason why i voiced that particular opinion. In this case it has absolutely nothing to do with the phenotype of this guy, it's the last name I'm questioning and also the first name as well, no one's going to automatically think Jan is a typical Spanish first name. You've definitely got some kind of complex going on, not my problem.

Bullshit.

guyinsf
07-08-2014, 06:18 AM
In both Catalan and French, the most common diminutive suffix is -ET. So several surnames look common to both languages. (In Spanish, it would be -ITO or -ILLO)

Jan is one of the Catalan ways of saying John, the pronunciation being very close to how an American would say John. (In Spanish, it's Juan. In French, it's Jean)

Thanks Comte for explaining that instead of just jumping on my case as if I had some kind agenda like Cristiano did. I was merely asking about the origin of a surname that I always thought was not Spanish and let me repeat that I was merely asking a question, wasn't making any statement. Sorry to say but that Cristiano person sounds like a total douche to me!

Cristiano viejo
07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Inferiority complex? the opposite, man, the opposite, I have superiority complex.
Again, second time that you question the origin of our surnames and launch the doubt about them.
One time can pass... two times start to be suspicious.

guyinsf
07-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Inferiority complex? the opposite, man, the opposite, I have superiority complex.
Again, second time that you question the origin of our surnames and launch the doubt about them.
One time can pass... two times start to be suspicious.

This is not at all a case of doubting the origin of a certain last name. Doubting is when someone says it is a Spanish last name and I say to them no it's not, that NEVER happened! I had only seen the last name Cornet on one person before this post and it belongs to a french tennis player and because of of this reason I said I was always under the impression that it was a French last name and not anything else. I also never said that you have an "inferior" complex, I said that you have some kind of complex and now I think I know what that complex is, you have a serious case of douche bag complex!

Cristiano viejo
07-09-2014, 10:30 AM
This is not at all a case of doubting the origin of a certain last name. Doubting is when someone says it is a Spanish last name and I say to them no it's not, that NEVER happened! I had only seen the last name Cornet on one person before this post and it belongs to a french tennis player and because of of this reason I said I was always under the impression that it was a French last name and not anything else. I also never said that you have an "inferior" complex, I said that you have some kind of complex and now I think I know what that complex is, you have a serious case of douche bag complex!
ok nevermind.

Tooting Carmen
07-10-2014, 11:27 AM

A lot of the time yes, though not always. Anyway, he is Atlanto-Nordid.

aimar
07-10-2014, 11:30 AM
A lot of the time yes, though not always. Anyway, he is Atlanto-Nordid.

a lot of times perhaps, if around 1/4 is a lot, at least for Portuguese blondes

Sikeliot
07-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Nordid-CM and can pass as British.

Cristiano viejo
07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Why everybody relates to Spaniards with the English when the Spaniard in question has light traits? itīs ridicolous...

Indo-Aryan
07-10-2014, 01:24 PM
sounds like a dutch name

Tooting Carmen
07-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Why everybody relates to Spaniards with the English when the Spaniard in question has light traits? itīs ridicolous...

True. Sometimes they can look alike but a lot of the time lighter Spaniards still have distinctly Iberian facial traits.

Vasconcelos
07-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Never understood it either, the large majority of light pigmented Iberians do not look different than other Iberians. Sure, there are a few people who could fit in Britain (I even have them on my family), but they are not common. At least in Portugal, Spain is much larger so things could be a bit different on your side of the Raia.

Ulla
07-12-2014, 09:48 AM

I don't deny that Cornet is a Catalan surname, but it's also a French surname (Cornet/Cornett). Old French cornet (14c.) "a small horn," diminutive of corn "a horn," from Latin cornu "horn".

Comte Arnau
07-15-2014, 03:02 AM
I don't deny that Cornet is a Catalan surname, but it's also a French surname (Cornet/Cornett). Old French cornet (14c.) "a small horn," diminutive of corn "a horn," from Latin cornu "horn".

His father's name is Joan Cornet, so a Catalan too, as Joan in French would be Jean. There's no reason to believe the origin could be French. In fact, Cornet is an old surname specially in central Catalonia, as well as a placename, and it means in Catalan exactly the same as in French, little horn.

Ulla
07-15-2014, 07:08 AM
His father's name is Joan Cornet, so a Catalan too, as Joan in French would be Jean. There's no reason to believe the origin could be French. In fact, Cornet is an old surname specially in central Catalonia, as well as a placename, and it means in Catalan exactly the same as in French, little horn.

Arnau, to be clear I didn't deny that it's Catalan. It doesn't look strange to me that there are similar or identical old Catalan and French surnames of Latin roots.

Ctwentysevenj
07-15-2014, 08:47 AM

Maybe he really is British;)

Ctwentysevenj
07-15-2014, 08:50 AM

ET- Extraterrestrial:D

Ulla
07-15-2014, 08:52 AM

In UK Cornet (or Cornett) is a surname of Old French origin. I guess through the Normans.

Ctwentysevenj
07-15-2014, 08:56 AM
In UK Cornet (or Cornett) is a surname of Old French origin. I guess through the Normans.

Yes Norman French

guyinsf
07-15-2014, 08:31 PM
There's no reason to believe the origin could be French.

Come one what is the problem of perceiving something to be something based on your experience? My assumption was not based on total ignorance. You guys are such fucking tight assess I swear! If you asked anyone outside outside of Spain and France what the origin of Cornet is I bet you most or even all would say French and not Spanish, because people are accustomed to French names with "et" in the end. It's like when I first heard of the word "Calvados" which is a region in Normandie France and instantly though it was a Spanish word because I don't associate French words with "os" in the end and think of that as more of a Spanish ending.

Is it that difficult for you to wrap your snooty intellectual head around this logic?

Nurzat
07-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Cornet is also a romanian name. he would certainly pass in romania rather than in spain. maybe he was adopted, there are literally tens of thousands if not more adopted easterners in italy, spain and the western world, usually blonde ones. so we should first eliminate the doubt - is he romanian, french, british or really spanish?

Comte Arnau
07-15-2014, 08:55 PM
If you asked anyone outside outside of Spain and France what the origin of Cornet is I bet you most or even all would say French and not Spanish, because people are accustomed to French names with "et" in the end.

Where exactly did I complain about your ignorance of us Catalans? In that sentence of mine you're quoting, I was just stating that, since the surname is a natural evolution of both languages, with an old presence in both of them, there should be no reason to believe the origin is foreign.

Is it that difficult for you to wrap your snooty intellectual head around this logic?

I'm not being more snooty than you with this unneeded silly remark. If anything, I'm being enlightening. Just as a Swede might want to be if someone stated that a Swede called Walterson must be of English origin.

Cristiano viejo
07-16-2014, 01:40 AM
If you asked anyone outside outside of Spain and France what the origin of Cornet is I bet you most or even all would say French and not Spanish, because people are accustomed to French names with "et" in the end.
Well, maybe, but the Catalan surnames ended in -et are very common.
I thought that was a very known thing.

:picard1:

Cornet is also a romanian name. he would certainly pass in romania rather than in spain. maybe he was adopted, there are literally tens of thousands if not more adopted easterners in italy, spain and the western world, usually blonde ones. so we should first eliminate the doubt - is he romanian, french, british or really spanish?
Itīs difficult to say more bullshits in less lines.

Ulla
07-16-2014, 01:55 AM
Cayetano Cornet Pamies (Catalan: Gaietā Cornet Pāmies, born August 22, 1963)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayetano_Cornet

Florenci Cornet Colomer (Vilanova, 1879 - Barcelona, 1953), dramaturg i poeta
Gaietā Cornet, diversos personatges
Jordi Cornet i Serra (Barcelona, 1965), diputat al Parlament de Catalunya i secretari primer de la cambra
Josep Maria Cornet i Mas (Barcelona, 1839 - 1916), empresari, enginyer i polític catalā

https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornet

guyinsf
07-16-2014, 04:37 AM
Where exactly did I complain about your ignorance of us Catalans? In that sentence of mine you're quoting, I was just stating that, since the surname is a natural evolution of both languages, with an old presence in both of them, there should be no reason to believe the origin is foreign.

I'm not being more snooty than you with this unneeded silly remark. If anything, I'm being enlightening. Just as a Swede might want to be if someone stated that a Swede called Walterson must be of English origin.

You said "There's no reason to believe the origin could be French" after I had explained myself to death as to how I came to think that that last name was French in origin instead of Spanish. That's definitely implying something there. Remember you said this after I already had a lengthy debate with Cristiano. Basically you're saying it doesn't matter how I came to think this last name was French instead of Spanish there's no reason to think it could be French in origin. That's a really underhanded and snooty remark to me. You could have just simply educated me which you did at first but then you took the same approach as your Spanish buddy Cristiano.

guyinsf
07-16-2014, 04:45 AM
Ok Comte I'm calling you out right now on this comment you made below.

"I'm not being more snooty than you with this unneeded silly remark. If anything, I'm being enlightening. Just as a Swede might want to be if someone stated that a Swede called Walterson must be of English origin."

You did the same thing Cristiano did to me earlier in this thread. If you and your Spaniard buddy would just take the time to read what I originally wrote more carefully we would not be arguing about anything. I NEVER said Cornet must be French and not Spanish and what I said is not even close to that. I'm not going to even repeat what I originally said because you can go back to page 1 or 2 and read it yourself and also I had already repeated what I wrote in my exchange with Cristiano You need to read before you make such a fallacious comment. I will be expecting your apology later.

Comte Arnau
07-16-2014, 06:12 PM
You said "There's no reason to believe the origin could be French" after I had explained myself to death as to how I came to think that that last name was French in origin instead of Spanish. That's definitely implying something there. Remember you said this after I already had a lengthy debate with Cristiano. Basically you're saying it doesn't matter how I came to think this last name was French instead of Spanish there's no reason to think it could be French in origin. That's a really underhanded and snooty remark to me. You could have just simply educated me which you did at first but then you took the same approach as your Spanish buddy Cristiano.

You're being even more arrogant than before. I couldn't care less about what you discussed with Cristiano. My sentence was just a reasonable reply to something Ulla has said, it's her I'm quoting. Don't think the world turns around you.

Ok Comte I'm calling you out right now on this comment you made below.

"I'm not being more snooty than you with this unneeded silly remark. If anything, I'm being enlightening. Just as a Swede might want to be if someone stated that a Swede called Walterson must be of English origin."

You did the same thing Cristiano did to me earlier in this thread. If you and your Spaniard buddy

I don't have any "buddies", let alone Cristiano, lol.

would just take the time to read what I originally wrote more carefully we would not be arguing about anything. I NEVER said Cornet must be French and not Spanish and what I said is not even close to that. I'm not going to even repeat what I originally said because you can go back to page 1 or 2 and read it yourself and also I had already repeated what I wrote in my exchange with Cristiano You need to read before you make such a fallacious comment. I will be expecting your apology later.

An apology? For explaining that Cornet is an all normal Catalan surname? Lol. Grow up and leave me alone, please.

guyinsf
07-17-2014, 07:30 AM
You're being even more arrogant than before. I couldn't care less about what you discussed with Cristiano. My sentence was just a reasonable reply to something Ulla has said, it's her I'm quoting. Don't think the world turns around you.

I don't have any "buddies", let alone Cristiano, lol.

An apology? For explaining that Cornet is an all normal Catalan surname? Lol. Grow up and leave me alone, please.

You are a freaking arrogant prick who completely took what I said out of context because of your laziness to read my original comment. I'm going to leave it as that and don't worry I will leave you alone, don't flatter yourself you aint worth my time. Bye!