PDA

View Full Version : A trip to India

Mortimer
07-06-2014, 04:07 AM
A wish of me is to make a holiday trip to India. Can any of the Indians or someone who was there tell me about the conditions of country, living quality and people there? Where is it safest etc. What i need to see in India (like which temple or city etc.?). Which dish i need to try? What i need to be careful of etc.? What is the best way to get out of your way of being just a distanced tourist but mingling with the locals and explore true indian culture etc.?

Arcadefire
07-06-2014, 04:15 AM
Do not visit the country on your own (find a travel group). I am telling you this for your safety. If you are visiting India as a rich person though, it will be a totally different experience.

I personally recommend that you visit Rajasthan. Its one of the most luxurious places in the world. Also, on the plus side, its where the Romas come from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzhqkWSOI2o

Mortimer
07-06-2014, 04:20 AM
Do not visit the country on your own (find a travel group). I am telling you this for your safety. If you are visiting India as a rich person though, it will be a totally different experience.

I personally recommend that you visit Rajasthan. Its one of the most luxurious places in the world. Also, on the plus side, its where the Romas come from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzhqkWSOI2o

just for the record, im not sure if romas are from rajasthan, earlier it was believed but some genetic studies linked romas to punjab and kashmir. it is certainly not conclusive yet, but it doesnt matter at all though where exactly romas are from, i believe rajasthan is a beautiful place anyways. the pictures in the video of jaipur are beautiful bro.

Mortimer
07-06-2014, 04:25 AM
btw im not a rich person. i have rather limitied financial resources, i cant afford a luxory hotel or like that

Arcadefire
07-06-2014, 04:27 AM
btw im not a rich person. i have rather limitied financial resources, i cant afford a luxory hotel or like that
In such case, I would find a travelling agency and visit with a group. That way you are safe and protected.

Astronaut
07-06-2014, 04:53 AM
A wish of me is to make a holiday trip to India. Can any of the Indians or someone who was there tell me about the conditions of country, living quality and people there? Where is it safest etc. What i need to see in India (like which temple or city etc.?). Which dish i need to try? What i need to be careful of etc.? What is the best way to get out of your way of being just a distanced tourist but mingling with the locals and explore true indian culture etc.?

Having lived in 25 of 28 Indian states,i have rich experience in travelling around India.

India is quite a poor country.So brace yourself for some major poverty shock.Secondly it's very hot in march-june,rainy season starts from July and ends in October,winters are usually from November to January.

Visiting India is one thing a person must do atleast once in his lifetime.You would experience rich diverse culture and landscape of India,meet many good people as well as many touts :laugh:.

Places to Visit(must visit):-

1) Kerala

2) Goa

3) Jammu & Kashmir

4) Uttrakhand

5) Himachal

6) Rajastan

7) Andaman and Nicobar islands

8) North Bengal -

9) Sikkim

Places not to visit :-

1) Much of North India except for the Himalayan region

2) North East India - A very beautiful land,a land of Indian mongoloids but unfortunately marred by Political turmoil.I won't recommend you to visit that place

Precautions :-

1) India has a high crime rate,so take necessary precautions like not to go with unknown people,not to take food from strangers,don't go in isolated areas. etc etc

2) Don't drink tap water,use only bottled water

3) Don't eat steer food,otherwise you will enjoy your vacation in toilet

4) If possible stay only in 3 star and above hotels,never go for the cheap ones.

5) If possible,then go in a group,rather than travelling alone.Much safer and lesser risk.

zhaoyun
07-06-2014, 05:13 AM
Having lived in 25 of 28 Indian states,i have rich experience in travelling around India.

India is quite a poor country.So brace yourself for some major poverty shock.Secondly it's very hot in march-june,rainy season starts from July and ends in October,winters are usually from November to January.

Visiting India is one thing a person must do atleast once in his lifetime.You would experience rich diverse culture and landscape of India,meet many good people as well as many touts :laugh:.

Places to Visit(must visit):-

1) Kerala

2) Goa

3) Jammu & Kashmir

4) Uttrakhand

5) Himachal

6) Rajastan

7) Andaman and Nicobar islands

8) North Bengal -

9) Sikkim

Places not to visit :-

1) Much of North India except for the Himalayan region

2) North East India - A very beautiful land,a land of Indian mongoloids but unfortunately marred by Political turmoil.I won't recommend you to visit that place

Precautions :-

1) India has a high crime rate,so take necessary precautions like not to go with unknown people,not to take food from strangers,don't go in isolated areas. etc etc

2) Don't drink tap water,use only bottled water

3) Don't eat steer food,otherwise you will enjoy your vacation in toilet

4) If possible stay only in 3 star and above hotels,never go for the cheap ones.

5) If possible,then go in a group,rather than travelling alone.Much safer and lesser risk.

How about the holy city of Varanasi, that is in Northern india, is it safe to travel there? Is Delhi not safe?

Also, how about cheap hostels where a lot of young foreigners stay. What do you think about those?

Astronaut
07-06-2014, 05:33 AM
How about the holy city of Varanasi, that is in Northern india, is it safe to travel there? Is Delhi not safe?

Also, how about cheap hostels where a lot of young foreigners stay. What do you think about those?

Vanarasi is one of the holiest hindu religious sites but unfortunately the city is very unclean and unhygienic.Visit it if you can adjust with that tough environment.

Delhi is otherwise known as the crime and rape capital of India.But it's a good place to visit if you take basic necessary precautions.

Cheap hostels and lodges are an okay place to stay if you are travelling in a group but if you are alone(especially single women) i won't recommend staying there.Also there are many cheap lodges which specializes in catering for foreign tourists,you can try those.

zhaoyun
07-06-2014, 05:35 AM
Vanarasi is one of the holiest hindu religious sites but unfortunately the city is very unclean and unhygienic.Visit it if you can adjust with that tough environment.

Delhi is otherwise known as the crime and rape capital of India.But it's a good place to visit if you take basic necessary precautions.

Cheap hostels and lodges are an okay place to stay if you are travelling in a group but if you are alone(especially single women) i won't recommend staying there.Also there are many cheap lodges which specializes in catering for foreign tourists,you can try those.

You seem to leave out the big cities, how about Kolkata and Mumbai?

Astronaut
07-06-2014, 05:43 AM
You seem to leave out the big cities, how about Kolkata and Mumbai?

Whats there to see in a concrete jungle ?

Yes there are some historical colonial monuments ,but otherwise there is nothing there to see apart from sea of humanity,massive air pollution and buildings.

I am not a big city guy.Since my dad was an officer in the Indian Army and was posted to mostly remote locations,therefore i spent most of my life in Hill stations,small towns and semi urban areas.

zhaoyun
07-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Whats there to see in a concrete jungle ?

Yes there are some historical colonial monuments ,but otherwise there is nothing there to see apart from sea of humanity,massive air pollution and buildings.

I am not a big city guy.Since my dad was an officer in the Indian Army and was posted to mostly remote locations,therefore i spent most of my life in Hill stations,small towns and semi urban areas.

I happen to really love cities. They are centers of culture, commerce and social life. They are very interesting to me. You can also get the pulse of a nation's economy and society from cities.

With that said, I love nature and the country as well. I just appreciate a wide plethora and diversity of all things.

Astronaut
07-06-2014, 05:45 AM
I will post some of the images of my travel....

Astronaut
07-06-2014, 06:02 AM
I happen to really love cities. They are centers of culture, commerce and social life. They are very interesting to me. You can also get the pulse of a nation's economy and society from cities.

With that said, I love nature and the country as well. I just appreciate a wide plethora and diversity of all things.

Indeed,

But at the end of the day it depends upon individual taste.

For me one should travel to a country to enjoy it's beauty and see places of historical importance and not to see some shiny skyscrapers.If i ever goto China,i would visit the great wall and shaolin monastery.

zhaoyun
07-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Indeed,

But at the end of the day it depends upon individual taste.

For me one should travel to a country to enjoy it's beauty and see places of historical importance and not to see some shiny skyscrapers.If i ever goto China,i would visit the great wall and shaolin monastery.

I think you should do both honestly. Actually, I may be weird, but when I visit a foreign country, what I enjoy most is going to mundane places like local grocery stores or post offices and see how their society works.