PDA

View Full Version : What are your dietary preferences?

Absinthe
01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I am interested in knowing the meat eating frequency as well as general dietary preferences in Apricity members.

For omnivores, it would be nice if you specify how much meat you include in your diet and of what kind.

For vegetarians, specify what kind of vegetarians you are. :)

I'll help with some definitions from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian):

Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes meat (including game and slaughter by-products), fish (including shellfish and other sea animals) and poultry.

A vegan diet is a form of vegetarianism which excludes all animal products from the diet, such as meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, eggs, and honey. Those who practice veganism for ethical reasons exclude animal products from their diet as part of a larger practice of abstaining from the use of animals for any purpose (e.g. leather, fur, etc.), often out of support for animal rights.

Lacto-vegetarianism includes dairy products but excludes eggs - ( as practiced by Vegetarian Hindu people of India ), ovo-vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy, and lacto-ovo vegetarianism includes both eggs and dairy products.

Semi-vegetarianism consists of a diet largely of vegetarian foods, but may include fish and sometimes even poultry, as well as dairy products and eggs. The association of semi-vegetarianism with vegetarianism in popular vernacular, particularly pescetarianism (also called pesco-vegetarianism and described as a "vegetarian" diet that includes fish.

Pollotarianism : A diet that excludes all meat except poultry and fowl.

Flexitarianism : A diet that consists primarily of vegetarian food, but that allows occasional exceptions.

HawkR
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm a all-eater:p

No, I eat most of the food I get, I've learned to appriciate food during my student-years:p

Sol Invictus
01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Bacon, Coffee, Bread, Oatmeal,

Vargtand
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I eat fuzzy and cuddly animals.

I mean with teeth like this what do you expect? (the tip of the front tooth are broken on all four corner teeth they were so long..)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-1/1331655/teeth.jpg

Sally
01-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I think I'd be classified as a flexitarian, though I had been a strict vegetarian some years ago. My diet consists of mostly vegetables (which I really enjoy), but I eat lean beef or chicken perhaps once a week. I can do completely without seafood (due to some really bad experiences :eek:), which is a shame, because some of it looks very appetizing.

Beorn
01-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't eat vegetables. I do like mushy peas and runner beans, but good quality produce is so hard to come by. I should start growing my own, really!

So, like I said it is mostly meat and potatoes and more potatoes.

Vulpix
01-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I love meat, I could never be a vegetarian. My dad even jokes that I could live on it :D. Red meat that is. I avoid chicken if I can. It's not meat to me :p.

Surprisingly to some maybe, I also quite like vegetables, and seafood
(prawns Loki, prawns :D!).

And I absolutely love dairy products :thumb001:. Milk and cheese :yumyum:....

On the whole, I try to eat different foods :).

Lady L
01-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't eat vegetables. I do like mushy peas and runner beans, but good quality produce is so hard to come by. I should start growing my own, really!

So, like I said it is mostly meat and potatoes and more potatoes.

What do you mean you don't eat vegetables..? :p No corn..? corn on the cob..? No green beans..? :D

Awww I love most vegetables. Corn is my favorite. And, what is runner beans..?

I eat meat but I am picky with it. The meat I enjoy the most is steak and chicken, but not chicken legs, thighs etc ...:eek: I don't eat roast or ribs or pork chops...none of it is really that bad tasting to me, I just don't care for it.

I am a vegetable, bread and potato gal mostly. Dairy too. :)

Revenant
01-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm on the see food diet. I see food then I eat it.:D

Allenson
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Rather omnivorous, really--I mix it up as much as a can. I tend to eat "heartier" in the winter as I am outside battling the cold and snow almost every day and the calories can get burned up pretty quickly this time of year. I'll ear more meat, dairy, carbos, etc. in the winter.

I certainly eat lighter in the summertime and I'm apt to eat more fruits and vegetables due to them being in season.

Ale is always high on my list too. ;)

This thread is making me hungry. :lightbul:

Lars
01-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I eat food. No fuzz. No trend. No fashion. No nonsense.

I try to stay away from as much processed food as I can.

Ryebread, ostmeal, fruits, rice or potatoes, vegetables, eggs, meat, pork, poultry and fish is what I several times a week.
I tend to eat too much meat and poultry. Can't help it; after all I am a man. :rolleyes: 500 gram a week should be sufficient.

I quench my thirst with water. Sometimes juice, tea or coffee. Never sodas.

Pino
01-09-2009, 07:08 PM
semi-vegertarian I guess if you could put a label on me, the only meat I will eat is Poultry and Fish food normally just Salmon the rest is made up of fruit, vegtables, nuts etc I am a very healthy eater I'm told I'm weird for it but I love it!

Got a very stricy no drugs policy as I'm sure you have guessed by my signature, no caffiene or processed White Sugar for me so that crosses off alot of junk from my list.

Oisín
01-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I eat meat every day. If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food. I also eat salads and certain veg as well. So long as it's not cabbage, broccoli, spinach or cauliflower I'll eat it.

Lars
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

rofl everything is that sentence is funny. :hungry::rofl:

YggsVinr
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I follow what some might call a high protein diet. Breakfast I usually eat cereal (oatmeal or cereals various kinds of grains, fruits/berries, and nuts), for lunch I usually have some kind of fish, usually tuna with some kind of carbohydrate or baked beans. For supper I have either chicken breast with salad or steak with salad. Occasionally I'll have molasses with bread, the rural French Canadian delicacy :thumb001:

For snacks usually stuff like yogurt, cottage cheese, apple sauce or other similar foods.

Psychonaut
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I was raised vegan for a few years when my mom was going through a Seventh Day Adventist phase, but it's not a diet I approve of. Nowadays I try to have as balanced of a diet as possible.

Grumpy Cat
01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I try to eat as healthy as possible and I only eat fresh food. Nothing out of a can, nothing frozen (unless I freeze it myself), and nothing processed. I eat a lot of seafood and buy it directly from fishermen.

I also avoid salt like the plague. My condiments cupboard is full of spices and several different varieties of hot sauce.

Cooking is also one of my favorite hobbies, and I have a large collection of cookbooks.

Oresai
01-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Oh groan....this is where I admit my failings! :)
Mostly, I am self disciplined and eat healthily, would just like to point out that it isn`t true that all Scots eat nothing but junk!
Here, for example, we have plenty fresh produce...seafood, fish, home produced meat, etc.
Where we fail in Orkney is in fruit and veg and that is entirely down to climate, so most of it is imported barring good old root veg and tubers. :)
Normall I grow, harvest and eat my own produce...tatties, brassicas, bush fruits (currants, gooseberries) carrots, peas, etc, cannot grow brussel sprouts or cauliflower here as the ground is too nitrogen rich and they blow early. :( These must be bought.
I also rear goats, hens, ducks and geese for meat (and the goats for skins which I hang on my walls or make into stool covers :D)
and of course, all the poultry provide eggs..you should see the size of omelette a goose egg gives :D
Am done with dieting though. I`m five foot tall and currently weighing in at just over eight stone. If I get any thinner my face looks horribly gaunt but any heavier and I feel clumsy and unhealthy so attempt to stay put as I am now. To do this I exercise...(weights, archery and crunches) and work damn hard, my job is labour intensive. :)
Trouble with that is, it makes me hungrier, and that`s where my discipline fails..typically goes like this...
out working early in the morning, after a breakfast of porridge or yoghurt and fruit and coffee, back in mid morning, hungry, but exercise first, starving! So because I have to return to work, I grab junk for a sugar-rush...:(
crisps (or chips if you`re American), chocolate, though sometimes I haul in my discipline to grab some cheese and olives or fruit and cold cooked meat. :)
I eat a lot of oats, roots and pasta based dishes for the steady and slow release of energy they give.
But am worst just before that time of the month, when the dreaded munchies kick in and my body craves junk! Wish it wouldn`t, but when I do give into it, to be fair to myself, I do exercise it off. :D
I think the key to good eating habits is simple....
eat local produce where you can.
Eat a varied diet from all food groups.
Eat little and often.
And a little of what you fancy does you good, but for gods sakes, work it off!

safinator
07-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Equlibrium is the key in life, that extends to food too.

Fortis in Arduis
07-08-2014, 11:42 PM
I adhere to the Sattvic diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sattvic_diet), which is lacto-vegetarian with some restrictions.

Siberian Cold Breeze
07-09-2014, 12:54 AM
I don't follow any diet but I am a picky eater and also I think I am lacking of enzmys processing raw vegetables , gluten ( makes me dull ,sleepy and cause oedema ), milk
also once I got mildy drunk with two days old home made yogurt ..- funny
I can't eat too sweet food either..Patato and beans are causing gas, I don't like a lot .I eat bread or macaroni rarely.

so I can eat very few things , cooked vegetables ( not all of them ), soups , cheese , eggs , red or white meat , bulgur , rice, fermented dairy food , butter , nuts ..for desert only chocolate ( bitter choolate with high cocoa) ,seafood

No processed food or fast food .But I am fond of coffee with little sugar.
so my meals revolve around these..

good part : I don't gain weight..
bad part ..gets boring sometimes.
That's why I am obsessed with food and recipes searching for interesting recipes from every cusine.
I talk about food all the time but I forget eating until I feel dizzy .

I have low tyroid and b vitamin deficiency that's why my picky eating habits actually is a bless.otherwise I'd be over 70 kg by now .I weigh 55

Pjeter Pan
07-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Meat, pasta, tomatoes, olives, garlic, and onions. That's about it