PDA

View Full Version : Just an American passing through...

American
07-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Hello Apricity I've been interested recently in discovering my ancestral heritage and have taken an interest in anthropology which compliments my life long passion for history. Knowing that you're actually related to the people you read about in books from long ago gives you an added thrill I would say.

My family history is very long and complex. It's not a very clear cut family tree but I have a basic idea of my ancestry. I have an Irish name thanks to my father who's mixed with nearly every European race in the book; Serbian Alpine, Mediterranean Italian, and Nordic Prussian and Swedish as well as Irish. And my mother is Spanish and Irish, my Spanish side having the richest history of any ancestors of mine. I am a descendant of original Spanish settlers to northern New Mexico in 1598 and onward. Before they came to New Mexico they were a Criollo (white Spaniard born in New World) family in Mexico City for a generation and before that they lived in Spain; probably in Andalusia and also somewhere in Aragon.

I'm very proud of my ancestry and would like to learn more if I can and just learn more from the people here. Good day.

Armand_Duval
07-07-2014, 03:52 AM
Welcome on board bro, nice family background you've got. :thumb001:

Kale
07-07-2014, 03:56 AM
Welcome friend. Hope you have fun and learn some cool stuff.

Melina
07-07-2014, 04:48 AM
Hello other fellow American!

zhaoyun
07-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Just an American passing through...

There is nothing to see here! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! RUN!!! RUUUUNNNNN!!!!!

VAYA CON DIOS!!!!

*Its too late for the rest of us* :rolleyes2: :( :(

Mortimer
07-07-2014, 04:57 AM
welcome

armenianbodyhair
07-07-2014, 05:02 AM
holy clusterfuck, and welcome

CordedWhelp
07-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Yo.

Looking forward to a Classification thread.

Ianus
07-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Welcome

American
07-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I wanted to post some pictures in the Personal Taxonomy forum and found that I needed 15 posts to make a thread. Is that correct? If so I'll get to posting so I can make my thread. Again thanks for the reception.

Vasconcelos
07-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Hello and welcome!

Isleņo
07-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Hello Apricity I've been interested recently in discovering my ancestral heritage and have taken an interest in anthropology which compliments my life long passion for history. Knowing that you're actually related to the people you read about in books from long ago gives you an added thrill I would say.

My family history is very long and complex. It's not a very clear cut family tree but I have a basic idea of my ancestry. I have an Irish name thanks to my father who's mixed with nearly every European race in the book; Serbian Alpine, Mediterranean Italian, and Nordic Prussian and Swedish as well as Irish. And my mother is Spanish and Irish, my Spanish side having the richest history of any ancestors of mine. I am a descendant of original Spanish settlers to northern New Mexico in 1598 and onward. Before they came to New Mexico they were a Criollo (white Spaniard born in New World) family in Mexico City for a generation and before that they lived in Spain; probably in Andalusia and also somewhere in Aragon.

I'm very proud of my ancestry and would like to learn more if I can and just learn more from the people here. Good day.

Welcome American. I too am Spanish-American, my family came to the U.S. from Canary Islands, Spain. Nice to have another here of Spanish ancestry. Un saludo.

American
07-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Welcome American. I too am Spanish-American, my family came to the U.S. from Canary Islands, Spain. Nice to have another here of Spanish ancestry. Un saludo.

Muy apreciado. Unfortunately my ancestors somewhere along the line became disenchanted with their native language and it along with many Spanish traditions have died. My Spanish family doesn't speak Spanish at least the living members don't or weren't raised with it and I have a C in 1 semester of High School Spanish to my name, sad yes but I will learn Espanol after I finish my Japanese and Chinese studies which may take a while. My grandfather could speak Spanish to some degree but when New Mexico became more anglicized after the 1848 war many original Spanish settlers felt they had to became Americanized and to many that meant fully embracing English like the Italian, Irish, and German immigrants who for the most didn't retain their language. And that Americanization came to a head in the early 1900's when a large wave of Latin American immigrants from Mexico who were mainly Mestizo and Amerindian came to the Southwest. They differentiated themselves from the new immigrants ensuring Spanish-American was a choice on the next census as before they'd gone by Mexican-American white. If you think about it they were New Spanish Criollo citizens for nearly 300 years and only Mexican citizens for 27 so it makes sense to me to identify as Spanish. Truth be told I don't know if I've ever met another Spanish-American at least that I know of, there aren't that many.

Isleņo
07-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Muy apreciado. Unfortunately my ancestors somewhere along the line became disenchanted with their native language and it along with many Spanish traditions have died. My Spanish family doesn't speak Spanish at least the living members don't or weren't raised with it and I have a C in 1 semester of High School Spanish to my name, sad yes but I will learn Espanol after I finish my Japanese and Chinese studies which may take a while. My grandfather could speak Spanish to some degree but when New Mexico became more anglicized after the 1848 war many original Spanish settlers felt they had to became Americanized and to many that meant fully embracing English like the Italian, Irish, and German immigrants who for the most didn't retain their language. And that Americanization came to a head in the early 1900's when a large wave of Latin American immigrants from Mexico who were mainly Mestizo and Amerindian came to the Southwest. They differentiated themselves from the new immigrants ensuring Spanish-American was a choice on the next census as before they'd gone by Mexican-American white. If you think about it they were New Spanish Criollo citizens for nearly 300 years and only Mexican citizens for 27 so it makes sense to me to identify as Spanish. Truth be told I don't know if I've ever met another Spanish-American at least that I know of, there aren't that many.

Well lo and behold my friend, I will baffle you with my next comment. I live in Louisiana, where we have a community of Spanish here that is 40,000 strong where I live, and 150,000 total in Louisiana. We speak Spanish also. Amazingly, we are all of one region of Spain, from the islands of Spain known as the Canary Islands. I live, possibly in the largest Spanish community in the United States.

But that's good you have an interest in your ancestry. I encourage you to learn the language of your ancestors and speak it with others to practice. Maybe join a Spanish language group in your area. Learn to cook the foods that your ancestors were raised on. Reintroduce this to your family. It's who you are.

American
07-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Well lo and behold my friend, I will baffle you with my next comment. I live in Louisiana, where we have a community of Spanish here that is 40,000 strong where I live, and 150,000 total in Louisiana. We speak Spanish also. Amazingly, we are all of one region of Spain, from the islands of Spain known as the Canary Islands. I live, possibly in the largest Spanish community in the United States.

But that's good you have an interest in your ancestry. I encourage you to learn the language of your ancestors and speak it with others to practice. Maybe join a Spanish language group in your area. Learn to cook the foods that your ancestors were raised on. Reintroduce this to your family. It's who you are.

No doubt my friend, it was what I plan. And I'm very surprised to learn about the Spanish-American community of Louisiana. I always thought everyone spoke French there lol. What was the reason for such large scale immigration from the Canaries; a beautiful place I must add, one that I would love to see?

Peyrol
07-08-2014, 09:01 PM

So, i guess from southern Italy...

...welcome on T.A. American.

American
07-08-2014, 09:04 PM
So, i guess from southern Italy...

...welcome on T.A. American.

I believe so but pardon me for making an over generalization, I realize many in the north have other racial roots. I honestly am not sure which part of Italy my ancestors are from.

Peyrol
07-08-2014, 09:06 PM
I believe so but pardon me for making an over generalization, I realize many in the north have other racial roots. I honestly am not sure which part of Italy my ancestors are from.

Are they recent ancestors?

If you have the surnames, i can tell you their regional origin.

American
07-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Unfortunately I do not. I believe I only have small amount of Italian heritage although it could be more. I have Irish, Serbian, and Spanish surnames that I'd love to explore. Do you or someone you know on this site have knowledge about these countries surnames?

Peyrol
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately I do not. I believe I only have small amount of Italian heritage although it could be more. I have Irish, Serbian, and Spanish surnames that I'd love to explore. Do you or someone you know on this site have knowledge about these countries surnames?

For the irish surnames ask to the user Alice, she's an irish-australian well informed about irish surnames.

Veneda
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Welcome :)

American
07-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Welcome :)

Thank you! I finally made it too 15 posts and I posted a Personal Taxonomy thread. Hopefully it's not against the rules to link the thread here but I think it has something to do with the topic of this thread. http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?132722-Classify-these-vintage-photos

Isleņo
07-09-2014, 01:16 AM

I have an Italian-American friend, can you tell me his ancestry by the surnames? They are Montanaro and Saladino.

Isleņo
07-09-2014, 01:27 AM
No doubt my friend, it was what I plan. And I'm very surprised to learn about the Spanish-American community of Louisiana. I always thought everyone spoke French there lol. What was the reason for such large scale immigration from the Canaries; a beautiful place I must add, one that I would love to see?In most of the Cajun communities in Louisiana, you can hear French. The Cajuns are all French descended people. But in our community, you can hear Spanish. Our community is made up of both older and recent immigrants from the Canary Islands. It started out long ago with a big immigration and settlement and over the years has received recent immigrants, reinforcing the Spanish presence in Louisiana. I have both older and recent ancestry. I also have family in the Canary Islands. We remain to have ties with the Canary Islands up until today and many of us take vacations there yearly. I'll be going there at the end of the year.

Crn Volk
07-09-2014, 01:35 AM
Welcome

arcticwolf
07-09-2014, 01:47 AM
Welcome.

Smaug
07-09-2014, 01:51 AM
Welxome to the west, wild wild west.

American
07-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Welxome to the west, wild wild west.

Oh I know all about the Wild West. Born and raised in the West!