PDA

View Full Version : Does the Minnesota accent sound Irish?

Sikeliot
07-09-2014, 10:12 PM
This is the accent where people say things like "you betcha", "doggone-it", "don't ya know?", etc.

To me it sounds Irish influenced, very much so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzN_nqXZPj8

Yehiel
07-09-2014, 10:15 PM
arent they vikings? its probably norwegian but i dont know enought about the languages

Stefan_Dusan
07-09-2014, 10:15 PM
No it sounds annoying as hell, tbh. It sounds very nasally and unattractive, even on women. While Irish sounds beautiful and makes my heart melt.

Tacitus
07-09-2014, 10:17 PM
arent they vikings? its probably norwegian but i dont know enought about the languages

Yeah a lot of Swedish and Norwegians settled in Minnesota. To my ears the intonations do sound Swedish.

Sikeliot
07-09-2014, 10:18 PM
No it sounds annoying as hell, tbh. It sounds very nasally and unattractive, even on women. While Irish sounds beautiful and makes my heart melt.

Minnesota accent is the one Sarah Palin talks with.

LieDetector
07-09-2014, 10:18 PM
No,it sounds American....

Stefan_Dusan
07-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Minnesota accent is the one Sarah Palin talks with.

Is it? I dunno, but she's probably has an Alaskan accent which is similar to Canadian accent which is similar to Minnesotan. It doesn't matter, I don't like it either way.

Sikeliot
07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Is it? I dunno, but she's probably has an Alaskan accent which is similar to Canadian accent which is similar to Minnesotan. It doesn't matter, I don't like it either way.

Her family is from Idaho, which has the same accent as Minnesota for the most part. Alaska has no accent since the people there came from various parts of the midwest.

Mark
07-09-2014, 10:21 PM
The upper mid-west accents are speculated to come from different things; one of which being that many Germans/Swedes settled in that region - and some of the Germanic inflections that were brought over when they immigrated, may have shaped the 'Minnesota accent' of today.

Leo Iscariot
07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Not really. It shows very Scandinavian influences, much like the the one from Upper Michigan and Northern Wisconsin.

Speaking as someone who was born and raised in Central Wisconsin, our accent are more of the stereotypical Midwestern twang.

Sikeliot
07-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Not really. It shows very Scandinavian influences, much like the the one from Upper Michigan and Northern Wisconsin.

Speaking as someone who was born and raised in Central Wisconsin, our accent are more of the stereotypical Midwestern twang.

Do you sound like Sarah Palin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGS_tbhejhI

Leo Iscariot
07-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Do you sound like Sarah Palin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGS_tbhejhI

Thank every known deity no. I have a very General American accent, aside from using Wisconsinite colloquialisms and stretching out the vowels of my words when I speak. Since I live in the South now though, my accent has become more Southern sounding and I've been told that I sound like I'm from Virginia.

michelle
07-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Too nasal and not lilting enough.

Graham
07-09-2014, 10:37 PM

The Ulster accent can sound nasally too. Some of them sound American.

Sikeliot
07-09-2014, 10:42 PM
The Ulster accent can sound nasally too. Some of them sound American.

Do you think some Canadians sound Scottish? I do. Or rather Scots sound like very exaggerated Canadians.

Graham
07-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Here is Novella( joking) speaking. She is from Ulster( Northern Ireland). This is what I meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m2g1FKpTPc

Graham
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Do you think some Canadians sound Scottish? I do. Or rather Scots sound like very exaggerated Canadians.

More like an American with a Scots twang. You can here it in their vowels.

Oneeye
07-09-2014, 10:46 PM
There is a part of Alaska that has the "Fargo" sound. People from Idaho don't have the upper midwest accent.

I've been in Northern Idaho many times, I grew up not too far from there, they sound the same as those of us from Eastern Washington. Sarah Palin's accent is from Alaska, not here.

There are many more of Norwegian descent than Swedish in the US. (10th largest US ancestry group) though they are mostly in the same area.

Sikeliot
07-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Sarah Palin's accent is from Alaska, not here.

There is no Alaska accent, because people living there all came from elsewhere and enough time hasn't passed to develop an accent.

Wadaad
07-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Not really...to me it sounds like Canadian english with a scandinavian twang

Oneeye
07-09-2014, 10:53 PM
There is no Alaska accent, because people living there all came from elsewhere and enough time hasn't passed to develop an accent.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/30454004.html

The GOP vice presidential candidate's hometown of Wasilla, Alaska, is in the middle of the valley where more than 200 broke families from the Midwest -- many of them from Minnesota -- relocated during the Great Depression.

Which means Palin grew up listening to the children and grandchildren of those Minnesotans and being fed a steady diet of "yahs" and "ya knows" and even "you betchas."

"When people settle a new area, there's not a set accent,'' said Joe Salmons, director of the Center for the Study of Upper Midwestern Cultures at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. "And it takes several generations for a new accent to form. What that means is, she was raised in an environment where there were a lot of people who were new to Alaska, and those Upper Midwestern influences were going to be very strong."

Dombra
07-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Scandinavian Fargo style

Linebacker
07-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Does Brock Lesnar have one?He is from Minneapolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZzbwmF0fk

LightHouse89
07-09-2014, 11:41 PM
no it does not sound Irish at all... I have neighbors with that accent and it is annoying. The Boston accent is even worse.

Sikeliot
07-10-2014, 04:31 AM
no it does not sound Irish at all... I have neighbors with that accent and it is annoying. The Boston accent is even worse.

New England accents are East Anglian. New Hampshire, Boston and Maine are more Norfolk and Rhode Island, Connecticut more Suffolk.

Pjeter Pan
07-10-2014, 05:23 AM

There's no such thing as a Canadian accent lol. Sounds the same as American

FeederOfRavens
07-10-2014, 05:24 AM
There's no such thing as a Canadian accent lol. Sounds the same as American

This. Americans and Canadians have the same accent.

Grace O'Malley
07-10-2014, 12:48 PM
This is the accent where people say things like "you betcha", "doggone-it", "don't ya know?", etc.

To me it sounds Irish influenced, very much so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzN_nqXZPj8

It doesn't sound Irish at all. It sounds to me to be Scandinavian influenced. The accent that sounds the most Irish to be is not American but the Newfoundland accent. Now that's an Irish sounding accent.

LightHouse89
07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
It doesn't sound Irish at all. It sounds to me to be Scandinavian influenced. The accent that sounds the most Irish to be is not American but the Newfoundland accent. Now that's an Irish sounding accent.

You forgot Nova Scotia. Boston Southie accent is funny but maybe typical of Boston overall.

FeederOfRavens
07-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Fuck off, Jim. The accent most Canadians speak and most Americans speak is the same. How about debating instead of thumbs down.

LightHouse89
07-10-2014, 02:33 PM
New England accents are East Anglian. New Hampshire, Boston and Maine are more Norfolk and Rhode Island, Connecticut more Suffolk.

? Are you sure. They do not seem that way to me. I would say New England WASP accents are generally a fine version of US English but the lower classes have an annoying accent.

LightHouse89
07-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Fuck off, Jim. The accent most Canadians speak and most Americans speak is the same. How about debating instead of thumbs down.

No you fuck off the accent is not entirely the same and differs based on regions. I know I have been to Canada 10 times and lived there briefly.

FeederOfRavens
07-10-2014, 02:38 PM
You must of been to Newfoundland or something cause I can assure you the majority Canadians accents are the same as American. Especially in the more populated areas like Ontario and Alberta.

LightHouse89
07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
You must of been to Newfoundland or something cause I can assure you the majority Canadians accents are the same as American. Especially in the more populated areas like Ontario and Alberta.

Ontario shares some similarities with New Yorkers in the upper valley but that is it. Nova Scotia they still speak Gaellic, Quebec is French, Newfoundland sounds very different etc.... I would say Alaskans sound closer to canadians than Americans. I am saying the accent of a Canadian I can easily pick up on....I am a New Englander and our accents are different.

Black Wolf
07-10-2014, 03:12 PM
She actually sounds pretty damn similar to people from the UP area of Michigan. I think they sound funny lol. And no she does not sound Irish much at all. My one grandmother was from Ireland and sounded nothing like that when she talked.

Daco Celtic
11-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Not at all. My parents have upper Midwest accents, not even remotely close to Irish sounding.

slaog
03-22-2021, 12:06 AM
I cannot do american accents except for Southern accents which I find easy enough to do. Dont know why that is. New York accents are not nice to listen to but others, like the minnesota accent sounds neutral.