PDA

View Full Version : New research shows EU spending 2.4 billion euros a year on propaganda

Oisín
01-10-2009, 12:01 AM
New research shows EU spending 2.4 billion euros a year on propaganda

Open Europe has published new research which shows that the European Union is spending billions of euros a year promoting itself and its central aim of 'ever closer union'. In 2008 alone, it spent more than 2.4 billion euros. That is more than Coca Cola spends on advertising each year, worldwide.

As well as a sophisticated information and communication strategy designed to 'sell' the EU and its political message, the EU also spends billions of euros a year on efforts to engender a common European culture and citizenship, with the explicit aim of increasing people's attachment to the EU project.

The EU pours hundreds of millions of euros a year into think-tanks and lobby groups which promote its policies and campaign for further EU integration, and many of its efforts are directed very deliberately at young people.

In the book, "The hard sell: EU communication policy and the campaign for hearts and minds", Open Europe shows how EU information policy is geared not towards providing neutral, balanced information, but towards trying to convince people to support EU integration.

It reveals how even the most innocuous-sounding cultural projects funded by the EU are designed to promote European integration, and argues that, at best, all this is an enormous waste of time and money.
[Continue reading] (http://www.openeurope.org.uk/media-centre/pressrelease.aspx?pressreleaseid=96)

Vulpix
01-10-2009, 12:07 AM
It reveals how even the most innocuous-sounding cultural projects funded by the EU are designed to promote European integration, and argues that, at best, all this is an enormous waste of time and money.

At worst, *very* expensive brainwashing...

Vargtand
01-10-2009, 12:21 AM
This is an outrage! think how many Cows the French farmers could buy for that! :P

TheGreatest
01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
It's not much different in North America. We often have ''Diversity" Directors at our Universities who get paid six figures for doing nothing...

Groenewolf
01-10-2009, 12:50 PM
What a waste of our tax-euro's again. When are those politicians we elect gona demand them back :rolleyes: .

Treffie
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
As usual the EU is proving what a wasteful dinosaur it is once again.:mad:

Red Skull
01-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I must be the only one here who thinks the Union is a good idea. The people running it are traitors, but a unified Europe is the only way for Europeans to survive. The world is moving in one direction, and that is the direction of super-states. Not exactly defined racial boundaries, but close.

I welcome this propaganda campaign.

Vargtand
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I must be the only one here who thinks the Union is a good idea. The people running it are traitors, but a unified Europe is the only way for Europeans to survive. The world is moving in one direction, and that is the direction of super-states. Not exactly defined racial boundaries, but close.

I welcome this propaganda campaign.

Well as far as I am concerned that can be for the rest of Europe, how ever not for Scandinavia, we are our own people and should be ruled by our self’s in a sovereign union, only including us blood brothers. Well maybe can include Finland if they pass the vodka... we need the buffer zone to Russia as well :P