PDA

View Full Version : We're happiest at 74

Loki
02-23-2010, 09:56 PM
We're happiest at 74: It's all downhill till 40, then life gets better, say scientists (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1252996/Were-happiest-74-Its-downhill-till-40-life-gets-better-say-scientists.html)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/23/article-1252996-086D29FE000005DC-920_468x239.jpg

It's often said that your school days are your happiest. Others reckon that life begins at 40.

But it seems they're all wrong - because according to scientists, we are most content only when we hit 74.

A combination of fewer responsibilities and financial worries and having more time to yourself produces a contentment unknown earlier in life, they say.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/22/article-1252996-086BBB59000005DC-427_468x294.jpg

Fun times: The study found that people in their fifties and sixties became more upbeat, with satisfaction peaking at a rating of 5.9 out of seven at around 74

The researchers have found that happiness starts to dip in the teenage years and continues on a downward spiral until the age of 40. It then levels off until about 46, before rising to a peak more than 30 years later.

German and American scientists analysed the results of a long-term British survey in which more than 21,000 men and women were regularly asked how happy they were with their lives.

They replied on a scale of one to seven, with one meaning they were not satisfied at all and seven indicating complete satisfaction.

Life satisfaction was rated about 5.5 when the subjects were in their late teens, on average.

This gradually dropped to about five when they turned 40.

Happiness hovered around this mark for the next few years, before taking an upturn around the age of 46.

And through their fifties and sixties they became more upbeat, with satisfaction peaking at a rating of 5.9 around 74. After that it drops off as more people become affected by health problems.

The researchers said it was possible that people become more appreciative of what they have as they get older. They may find a desire to make the most of their remaining years, they added.

Writing in the journal Social Indicators Research, they said: 'This awareness of impending mortality may lead older individuals to focus on ways to make their remaining experiences as enjoyable as possible.

'Compared to younger individuals, older people tend to place a greater emphasis on emotional aspects of social interactions and are likely to remember the emotional content of their experiences.'

They added that as we get older, we may become better at keeping any negative emotions in check.

Those in their twenties and thirties, on the other hand, face the stresses and strains of buying a house, bringing up a family and forging a career.

But this happiness scale appears to be a peculiarly British phenomenon, the researchers from the German Institute for Economic Research found.

When they carried out a similar analysis of German men and women, they found that levels of satisfaction remained relatively stable throughout life.

The British figures chime with recent claims that the mid-life crisis is a thing of the past.

Improvements in healthcare, education and life expectancy mean 'wobbles' around the age of 40 are now less likely, psychologists claimed last month.

By that time, most will have married, bought a home and chosen a career. With those difficult decisions behind us, we are free to start enjoying life and learn from our mistakes.

Dr Carlo Strenger, of Israel's Tel Aviv University, said: 'If you make fruitful use of what you have discovered about yourself in the first half of your life, the second half can be the most fulfilling.

'Most people can anticipate a second life, if not a second career.'

Aemma
02-23-2010, 11:53 PM
See! And most of you here are all "oh my god, 30 is soooo old and close to death !" :D

SilverFish
02-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Most old people I have seen do seem a little bit happier than their grandchildren. However they are always talking about coffins and graveyards which can lower the happiest status a little bit.

Mostly, they're satisfied with their life because they have been through life accepting that every day is a brand new day rather than just wishing the day be over with.

Aemma
02-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Most old people I have seen do seem a little bit happier than their grandchildren. However they are always talking about coffins and graveyards which can lower the happiest status a little bit.

Mostly, they're satisfied with their life because they have been through life accepting that every day is a brand new day rather than just wishing the day be over with.

Always? Now this I find quite hard to believe. You don't like exaggerating one darn bit do you Silver Fish? :D This is twice this evening I call you on this. :P :D You poor bugger. :D

Grumpy Cat
02-24-2010, 01:31 AM
Wow I'm in my 20s and depressed enough already... it's going to get worse??? :eek:

Aemma
02-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Wow I'm in my 20s and depressed enough already... it's going to get worse??? :eek:

But then it gets BETTER!!!! :D :thumb001:

poiuytrewq0987
02-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Knowing that you don't have to aspire for anything at that age (for most anyhow) must be a big sigh of relief for many.

Loki
02-24-2010, 01:50 AM

Yes, for sure. No question about it.

Aemma
02-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Knowing that you don't have to aspire for anything at that age (for most anyhow) must be a big sigh of relief for many.

Oh goodness how little you know about the stages of life and the phases of Old Age! It's not as though you curl up and die at the age of 74 and wait for the inevitable. People travel and go to school and LIVE at this age, well those who can afford to and who have their health. But goodness gracious stop making it sound as though life ends at 30! People are still active at this age you know...some even still have regular sex! Probably more regularly than you young'uns! :rolleyes:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Now stop scaring the good people!

Svipdag
02-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Well, I was happier than I had been for years because a major health problem had been corrected. However, the aches and pains which plague me today had already begun to be harassing. I agree with Vojn, though, that, by then, there is no further need to strive to achieve. In my early 70's I realised that I had accomplished all that I was ever going to.

For most of the past decade (ignoring episodes of illness and hospitalisation) I have, on the whole, been happier than at any other time in my life. I am under much less stress and that is very important. I am, though, saddened by the passing one-by-one of my old friends. To paraphrase a once-popular song, "Those funerals are breakin' up that old gang of mine."

I have learned to accept the physical limitations of old age and enjoy what I am still able to. Though death cannot be far in the future, I am in no hurry to shake hands with the Grim Reaper, but I no longer fear death as once I did.
If I ever get around to ordering it, my tomb stone will bear the epitaph "Now, perhaps, I shall know the truth."

Phil75231
02-24-2010, 03:16 AM
I definitely agree that the pressure to be "all this", "all that", and (just perhaps) comparing ourselves to our peers despite all our rhetoric of "I don't care what people think" does get to us quite a bit. Even if we don't care about what others think, we still have to think about families to feed, clothe, educate, and provide a few "extras" here and there. Regarding the latter, I think that our materialist culture plays a huge role in determining this (which feeds back into caring what others think of us).

This actually is more appropriate for another thread, but the OP reminds me once again why I'm glad I chose NOT to raise a family or even seek out a spouse (not to rub it in, for those who are married or have a family). Certainly I'm a lot happier without a family of my own than I would be with one - which gives me more time to concentrate on what I want to do. Selfish? Maybe, but I decided that I'm not any more obligated to live up to society's expectations of me any more than other people are to live up to my expectations of what I wish them to be.

Grumpy Cat
02-24-2010, 03:20 AM

Well don't have much to look forward to do I.

I doubt I will live to see 74, being an ex-smoker an all. How many years did I take off my life?

Vulpix
02-24-2010, 07:52 AM
An interesting prospective topic of study:

"They added that as we get older, we may become better at keeping any negative emotions in check."

Hardly anyone would not benefit from better control over their own emotions.

Treffie
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I think my unhappiest time was between 30-35 when both of my parents died - but after this, I realised that their deaths were a landmark in my maturity level - it was a time that I had to really grow up. Without my dependency on mum and dad, I've become much more level headed and content. Quite looking forward to my old age - it's a good excuse for being as cantankerous as you want and not giving a damn about it. :p

Lulletje Rozewater
02-24-2010, 08:58 AM
But then it gets BETTER!!!! :D :thumb001:

Are you sure????
At 40 I feel like a French fry,will I be feeling like a McCain's American Fry at 74---All fatty and blubbery

Aemma
02-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you sure????
At 40 I feel like a French fry,will I be feeling like a McCain's American Fry at 74---All fatty and blubbery

:eek: Ack Dok!! McCain's is a Canadian company!!! We still call them French fries here, or more accurately, for that part of the country, from what I understand, chips!!! :D

From wikipedia:

*McCain Foods Limited is a privately owned company established in 1957 by four brothers Harrison McCain, Wallace McCain, Robert McCain, and Andrew McCain in Florenceville, New Brunswick, Canada. It is the world's largest producer of french fries and other oven-ready frozen food products.

But to answer your question: well I've got a few more years on you but you know, better being a French fry than a tub o' margarine! At least a French fry has the semblance of being skinny and is always a welcome sight. :p :D

Amarantine
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
:eek: Ack Dok!! McCain's is a Canadian company!!! We still call them French fries here, or more accurately, for that part of the country, from what I understand, chips!!! :D

off topic-we call them chips here too.

Beorn
02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
A combination of fewer responsibilities and financial worries and having more time to yourself produces a contentment unknown earlier in life, they say.

That is all dependent upon your financial circumstances when you are 74.

It doesn't need saying that in Great Britain...sorry, in England, you are generally left to fend for yourself with little to no benefit income whilst every Abdul and his dog gets the lot.

If this is the case when I am 74, my happiness will be from wanting to die. (if I haven't died already during the winters, or from MRSA in the hospitals, or or or or)

Those in their twenties and thirties, on the other hand, face the stresses and strains of buying a house, bringing up a family and forging a career.

But this happiness scale appears to be a peculiarly British phenomenon, the researchers from the German Institute for Economic Research found.

When they carried out a similar analysis of German men and women, they found that levels of satisfaction remained relatively stable throughout life.Interesting that that was mentioned. I don't know how correct I am in saying this, but I recall reading that Britain has the highest amount of home owners in all of Europe. If true, then I am not surprised that Germans are more content having on average no huge mortgage burdening them throughout their working life.

See! And most of you here are all "oh my god, 30 is soooo old and close to death !" :D

Its because it is old. It was only 3000+ years ago that 30 was thought of as old and life had been fulfilled ie: Family, community, etc.. Nowadays 30 means a stop to being an immature individual, settle down with a woman, have a family, get the ticket number for the rat race and smile.

If you're lucky that is.

Yeah, my Nana is like that. She can fill your head with so many stories and how she lived her life, but by the end of each day she will state she can't wait to die as she has lived her life, and she lives everyday as it were her last.

Lulletje Rozewater
02-26-2010, 08:40 AM
:) Mccain is trying out so many products in SA and the variety of chips is endless.The only chips I eat are the short and very thin ones.
I must admit I like some "blubber" on a woman?????????? Goed voor de spijsvertering :cool:

But to answer your question: well I've got a few more years on you but you know, better being a French fry than a tub o' margarine! At least a French fry has the semblance of being skinny and is always a welcome sight. :p :D
:wink:wink At the rate I am waisting my energy I should look 50 in 2 years from now.
Welcome sight?????????? You are joking...not??:coffee:

Tabiti
02-26-2010, 03:54 PM
So, I'm not going to be happy...

nausea
03-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Seems like fools happiness to me..

Neon Knight
06-25-2014, 10:27 PM
I cannot relate to that graph. It's been a long time since I was even 4.5/7.

Drawing-slim
06-25-2014, 11:23 PM
I been consistently inconsistent about everything but one uninterrupted consistency is that I been steadily unhappy throughout life.
The only thing I can agree with this study is that getting older i can see myself caring less about the colossal failure that I am.

ALSh
06-25-2014, 11:41 PM

" I am worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow"

arcticwolf
06-25-2014, 11:46 PM
I been consistently inconsistent about everything but one uninterrupted consistency is that I been steadily unhappy throughout life.
The only thing I can agree with this study is that getting older i can see myself caring less about the colossal failure that I am.

Dude, do what I do, set the bar so low that nothing can disappoint you. I do not expect much if anything from myself or others, and I am happy! :laugh:

Drawing-slim
06-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Dude, do what I do, set the bar so low that nothing can disappoint you. I do not expect much if anything from myself or others, and I am happy! :laugh:

You laughing but this is a genius approach:P

arcticwolf
06-26-2014, 12:06 AM
You laughing but this is a genius approach:P

Dude, I've observed that about 90% of all problems are self made, about 90% of things people worry about never happen, so I stick to the golden rule "do nothing and see what happens" :laugh:

Breedingvariety
06-26-2014, 05:16 AM
Happiness correlates with disillusionment correlates with age.

Melina
06-26-2014, 05:24 AM
That is truw. People in general expec6t so much from you in early adulthood. I just wish I was old already and getting ready to die. I envy my grandparents. They are not expected to do much naturally. As years go by the more humanity scares me. There is just so much evil. The people are evil and even nature is evil.

Svipdag
06-26-2014, 10:48 PM
That is all dependent upon your financial circumstances when you are 74.

It doesn't need saying that in Great Britain...sorry, in England, you are generally left to fend for yourself with little to no benefit income whilst every Abdul and his dog gets the lot.

If this is the case when I am 74, my happiness will be from wanting to die. (if I haven't died already during the winters, or from MRSA in the hospitals, or or or or)

Interesting that that was mentioned. I don't know how correct I am in saying this, but I recall reading that Britain has the highest amount of home owners in all of Europe. If true, then I am not surprised that Germans are more content having on average no huge mortgage burdening them throughout their working life.

Its because it is old. It was only 3000+ years ago that 30 was thought of as old and life had been fulfilled ie: Family, community, etc.. Nowadays 30 means a stop to being an immature individual, settle down with a woman, have a family, get the ticket number for the rat race and smile.

If you're lucky that is.

Yeah, my Nana is like that. She can fill your head with so many stories and how she lived her life, but by the end of each day she will state she can't wait to die as she has lived her life, and she lives everyday as it were her last.

Anent "every Abdul and his dog": Abdul hasn't got a dog. Muslims detest them because the Prophet did. It seems that once, when he was in hiding, the barking of a dog betrayed his hiding place. therefore, all dogs are hated by Muslims.

Graham
06-26-2014, 10:54 PM
Many people here drop dead before that age.. Sad faces.

Teenage years are depressing. Twenties are better.

Svipdag
06-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Many people here drop dead before that age.. Sad faces.

Teenage years are depressing. Twenties are better.

I think that it was George Bernard Shaw who said "Youth is such a wonderful thing. What a shame that it has to be wasted on children."

Bobby Martnen
09-16-2018, 07:00 AM
I doubt I'll make it to 64, let alone 74.