PDA

View Full Version : New Guinea VS Subsaharan Africa

pinguino
07-27-2014, 04:48 AM
Fact: Both regions were very backwards after independence, with a tribal lifestyle and few developments. New Guinea was even more primitive than anything in Africa

Fact: New Guineans are Austroloids, closely related to Australian Aborigins.

Today, it is still a poor country with a GDP of $2,800 (2012 est.)

However, it is higher than the average in South Saharan Africa $1,624

So, I bet that shows New Guineans have a lot more potential for development than SS Africans. Yours thoughts.

Pictures of New Guinea's efforts.
http://nvate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2596899647_573ecb33df.jpg
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cache.salvationarmy.org/2abc4229-1d7a-48d8-8ddd-0fc0ce7dc92b_d9d11d61-92a2-437d-9be9-31fc178adacf_3214986714033402034_dsc02620-k92-school.03.jpg

The King, I am
07-27-2014, 04:50 AM
Lol "efforts"

pinguino
07-27-2014, 04:58 AM
Just remember they started from nothing. New Guineans are really people that came from the jungle, and they have surpassed Africans already.

The King, I am
07-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Just remember they started from nothing. New Guineans are really people that came from the jungle, and they have surpassed Africans already.

Yes but they have a lot of natural ressources
They are being exploited because of it
But thats the only reason they surpassed MOST sub saharan africans (not all)

Xochi
07-27-2014, 05:05 AM
So? New Guineans have more potential for development than Africans. Even the most SSA country in the new world (Haiti) is poor. :)

pinguino
07-27-2014, 05:08 AM
Yes but they have a lot of natural ressources
They are being exploited because of it
But thats the only reason they surpassed MOST sub saharan africans (not all)

We'll see. I expect New Guineans progress faster, though, given the very competitive neighborhood they live.

Amud
07-27-2014, 05:24 AM
Melanesians supposedly have an average IQ in the high 80's. I would think Papuans are similar because they are a subset of Melanesians.

1stLightHorse
07-27-2014, 05:25 AM
I went to school with some New Guineans. They weren't stupid. They were actually some of the best performing students academically in the whole grade, not to mention freak athletes.

Ctwentysevenj
07-27-2014, 05:32 AM
Both areas are equally backward and primitive. In papua new guinea there are still tribal men are killing women on a big scale because of witchcraft. One recently where the whole village watched a young women burn alive on a rubbish tip. They thought she caused sickness to others through her magic thoughts. This type of thing is a real problem there. Another case were a drug effected guy ate his baby. Both areas I do not see ever developing to European standards, never. Still in sub sahara Africa and Papua new guinea and next door in West irian jaya they still practice cannibalism.

Anglojew
07-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Some are still cannibals

pinguino
07-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Some are still cannibals

So?

Anglojew
07-27-2014, 10:30 PM
So?

So some are uncivilised

pinguino
07-28-2014, 02:18 AM
So some are uncivilised

Certainly. You find some cannibals both in New Guinea and in Sub-Saharan Africa, but that's not the point. The question was which region will develop faster, and why.

Anglojew
07-28-2014, 02:50 AM
Certainly. You find some cannibals both in New Guinea and in Sub-Saharan Africa, but that's not the point. The question was which region will develop faster, and why.

Africa probably. You can't really compare one (or two if you include Irian Jaya) country of a few million with dozens of countries with hundreds of millions.

pinguino
07-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Africa probably. You can't really compare one (or two if you include Irian Jaya) country of a few million with dozens of countries with hundreds of millions.

Why not? Both groups came from the jungle in contemporary times.

Ctwentysevenj
07-28-2014, 07:54 AM
There is a major problem of violence against women in Papua New Guinea. There was a program on the ABC, Australian television regarding this issue. As in Africa, there is an issue with tribalism. Africa, despite billions in aide, most sub saharans live in extreme poverty, ravage by tribalism and war, with no hope to develop. Many still live in mud huts. Throughout the vast area of sub sahara, not one country has any advance manufacturing industries, even basic manufacturing like making plastic bottles. Just read a book on railways, and the railways of Ghana and Nigeria, have fallen into total despair. All of the railway infrustruture, of course built by the Europeans, is totally stuffed. Their railway system was not a sophisticated one, but they could not even maintain their respective systems. Even Dr James Watson, one of the discoverers of DNA in 1953, admitted that sub saharans generally are less intelligent compared to most other people's. This maybe due to the environment they live in, I don' t know.