PDA

View Full Version : Musical Instruments: The Appalachian Dulcimer

Aemma
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
The Appalachian dulcimer (or mountain dulcimer) is a fretted string instrument of the zither family, typically with three or four strings. It is native to the Appalachian region of the United States. The body extends the length of the fingerboard, and its fretting is generally diatonic.

Origins:

Although the Appalachian dulcimer appeared in regions dominated by Irish and Scottish settlement, the instrument has no known precedent in Ireland or Scotland. However, several diatonic fretted zithers exist in Continental Europe, which bear a strong similarity to the dulcimer. Jean Ritchie (The Dulcimer Book, 1974) and others have speculated that the Appalachian dulcimer is related to similar European instruments like the langeleik, scheitholt, and epinette des Vosges.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_dulcimer)

dcllkBdAfF8

QXBOG9CG21I

j6169GO5r7M

e0ZeRKTikpY

Svipdag
02-24-2010, 05:07 PM
When I was asked to portray a skald in a Sons of Norway lodge skit on Leifr Eiriksson's discovery of Vinland, I brought my Appalachian dulcimer and was told "Dette er en langeleik."

Aemma
02-24-2010, 05:21 PM
When I was asked to portray a skald in a Sons of Norway lodge skit on Leifr Eiriksson's discovery of Vinland, I brought my Appalachian dulcimer and was told "Dette er en langeleik."

For you, dear Gorm :)

ed9j5O0YpuA

Svipdag
02-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Having heard and seen a langeleik, I can now say of my Appalachian dulcimer "Dette er ikke en langeleik." The sound is very similar, but construction is very different.