PDA

View Full Version : Is there a ceiling for the highest possible IQ even with eugenics?

Felix Volkbein
07-31-2014, 05:04 AM
In his book on eugenics, Richard Lynn speculates that such a ceiling probably exists:

However, although the average running speed of thoroughbreds has increased, there has been no improvement in the fastest running speeds, which have remained the same for about a century. Records are not broken virtually every year, as they are in Olympic events. The fastest horse ever was Sovereign, who lived between the two World Wars. The reason the fastest running times have not improved is that all the genes (alleles) for the fastest running speeds must have been present in the 1791 thoroughbred population. These have been increased by selective breeding, while at the same time the alleles that reduce speed have been reduced. It is very unlikely that new mutant genes for faster speeds have appeared. Because running speeds are determined by a number of characteristics, each determined by a number of genes, the chances of a horse inheriting all the best genes for running speed are very low; and it is a matter of chance when these, together with optimum environmental factors, appear in a particular horse.

The experience of the breeding of thoroughbreds over the past two centuries serves as a useful model for what could be anticipated if eugenic measures were introduced for humans. In the case of intelligence, there would not be any increase in the highest intelligence hitherto achieved. The highest IQs ever recorded are about 200, the intelligence level estimated for Blaise Pascal (Cox, 1926) and Francis Galton (Terman, 1917a). An IQ of 200 means that a child of a particular age is at the intellectual level of the average child of twice this age (e.g., a four-year-old is at the level of the average eight-year old). We should not expect that a eugenic program would increase the highest achievable IQ to 300 or 400. This is because all the right genes and the most favorable environmental conditions have already appeared from time to time and produced people like Pascal and Galton. What a eugenic program would accomplish would be the reduction or elimination of the genes for low intelligence. The average intelligence level of the population would be improved, just as the average running speed of thoroughbreds has been improved; but there would be no increase of the highest IQs, just as there has been no improvement in the running speeds of the fastest thoroughbreds.

Felix Volkbein
08-01-2014, 02:07 AM
I must say that Lynn's book Eugenics: A Reassessment is very good and if politically progressive eugenicists still existed, they would probably find little that is objectionable about it.

pinguino
08-01-2014, 03:09 AM
I wonder if there is enough jobs for a world populated only by people of IQ above 200.

Felix Volkbein
08-01-2014, 03:49 AM
I wonder if there is enough jobs for a world populated only by people of IQ above 200.

Better a surplus population of high IQ people than a surplus of low IQ people.

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-01-2014, 04:18 AM
The highest IQs ever recorded are about 200, the intelligence level estimated for Blaise Pascal (Cox, 1926) and Francis Galton (Terman, 1917a).

It's absurd to make such a statement. It's not "recorded" if the results don't exist. Cox and Terman simply made a guess that Lynn refers to as an estimate. Other than this stupidity from a guy who should know better but often says and does stupid things that hurt his credibility (using tests scores from a school for the mentally handicap as the results for another country, for example; how does someone make that mistake?) he's right about the rest but it's not news to anyone.

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-01-2014, 04:19 AM

Artificial intelligence would do the work, obviously. Your time is drawing to a close, old man.

pinguino
08-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Artificial intelligence would do the work, obviously. Your time is drawing to a close, old man.

Since the Middle Ages people has dreamed a mechanical head will do the job for them. There is still some naive people that believe in such fantasies. Your time will also drive to a close before you see an autonomous robots with identity and self-awareness.

pinguino
08-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Better a surplus population of high IQ people than a surplus of low IQ people.
Really? Smart people is always the one that starts revolutions, war and chaos. Frustration, lack of opportunities and envy are the force behind many social disasters. Get a world of genius and nobody will want to work for anyone.

Felix Volkbein
08-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Really? Smart people is always the one that starts revolutions, war and chaos. Frustration, lack of opportunities and envy are the force behind many social disasters. Get a world of genius and nobody will want to work for anyone.

That's because smart people are generally the only capable people. A world full of dumbdumbs would be devoid of all the finer and fuller things in life.

If the kind of scenario you describe occurred, the long term consequences would be salutary. Conflict and upheaval often inspire lots of great art and discoveries, and a smarter population would produce even more of these.

pinguino
08-02-2014, 12:12 PM
That's because smart people are generally the only capable people. A world full of dumbdumbs would be devoid of all the finer and fuller things in life.

BS. Many smart people had died of hunger when theirs airplane has crashed on the jungle, just because they didn't know how to survive. During the colonization of Africa European settlers in Central Africa suffered and died of hunger while black natives continued living. That show a supposedly "smart" people is not automatically capable of surviving.

albosomething
08-02-2014, 12:27 PM

surprisingly , yes .

Everyone would invent, production would rise with technology, everyone would work on their own, or would work easy physically jobs.

Though your question can be seen as a good one, its the same question that was made in europe after the great industrial revolution, we all know how there wasn't jobs back then

pinguino
08-02-2014, 02:00 PM
surprisingly , yes .

Everyone would invent, production would rise with technology, everyone would work on their own, or would work easy physically jobs.

Though your question can be seen as a good one, its the same question that was made in europe after the great industrial revolution, we all know how there wasn't jobs back then

I doubt it. Most jobs are not creative, actually. There are very few activities where you really need genius. And genius don't work well in regular activities, and sometimes they are even retarded for a common life. You have to preserve them in a special environment or ivory tower, heavily subsidized so they produce non directly productive things like maths or quantum physic speculation. A world populated by Einsteins would die of hunger.

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Since the Middle Ages people has dreamed a mechanical head will do the job for them. There is still some naive people that believe in such fantasies. Your time will also drive to a close before you see an autonomous robots with identity and self-awareness.

They also dreamed men would be able to fly, even to the moon, and were mocked but who is laughing now? WHO IS LAUGHING NOW?!!!!

I love how you can't make a point without contradicting yourself. You say it's a fantasy but then you say I'll be dead when it happens. So which is it? Is it a fantasy or is it something that will happen but I'll be dead before it does? This isn't me being a "smart ass." It's me pointing out the obvious.

pinguino
08-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Indeed. You find a contradiction there. It is just that you were making fun of my age, as usually laughing I am older than you, I recalled to you that the intelligent robot is not something that will appear in the near future. Perhaps some day they will exist ("never say never", anyways) but it is not something on the reach of today science and knowledge.