PDA

View Full Version : Deadly earthquake hits central Chile

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Deadly earthquake hits central Chile (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/27/chile-earthquake-tsunami)

President declares 'state of catastrophe' as quake of magnitude 8.8 rocks capital and triggers tsunami

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/2/27/1267268212671/Chart-of-the-Chile-tsunam-001.jpg
Chart of the Chile tsunami's travel time, released by the National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration

A massive earthquake with a magnitude of 8.8 has struck central Chile (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/chile), killing at least 78 people and triggering a tsunami.

The tremor shook the capital, Santiago, for a minute and a half early this morning, bringing down telephone and power lines. The Chilean president, Michelle Bachelet, said there were 78 confirmed deaths and that more were possible.

Declaring a "state of catastrophe" in central Chile, Bachelet, said: "We have had a huge earthquake with some aftershocks. We're doing everything we can with all the forces we have. Any information we will share immediately. Without a doubt, with an earthquake of this magnitude, there will be more deaths."

Chile's interior minister, Edmundo Perez Yoma, added: "It has been a devastating earthquake. The death toll will continue rising."
Santiago's international airport was forced to close, a highway bridge collapsed and rubble from damaged buildings fell on to the streets.
Speaking to a local television station in Temuco, one witness said: "Never in my life have I experienced a quake like this, it's like the end of the world."

A huge wave reached a populated area in the Robinson Crusoe Islands, off the Chilean coast, and warnings of tidal waves were issued in 53 other countries. The Pacific tsunami warning centre said the quake generated a wave that could cause destruction along nearby shores "and could also be a threat to more distant coasts". It issued a tsunami warning for Chile, Peru and Hawaii, while Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica and Antarctica are also on alert.

The centre warned that waves up to 16ft (4.8m) could hit the coasts of all the Hawaiian islands, with the first reaching Hawaii at 11.19am (21.00 GMT).

"Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property," the centre said in a bulletin. "All shores are at risk no matter which direction they face."

The centre said the first waves after a quake are not necessarily the largest, adding that wave heights were difficult to predict because they can vary significantly along a coast due to the local topography.

Chile's navy said officials had lifted the tsunami warning in southern Chile, local radio reported. The Joint Australian tsunami warning centre warned of a "potential tsunami threat" to the states of New South Wales and Queensland, Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island.

The quake was centred 200 miles south-west of Santiago at a depth of 22 miles, according to the US Geological Survey. It reported 11 aftershocks, five of them measuring 6.0 or above, in the 2 1/2 hours following the quake.

The centre warned that an earthquake of magnitude 8 or above could cause "tremendous damage". The quake that devastated Haiti's capital, Port-au-Prince, in January was magnitude 7.0.

The quake shook buildings as far away as Argentina. A series of strong aftershocks rocked Chile's coast, from Valdivia in the south to Valparaiso 500 miles to the north. The epicentre was 70 miles from Concepcion, Chile's second largest city, with a population of about 670,000.

Chile is at a high risk of earthquakes because it lies on the boundary between the Pacific and South American tectonic plates. According to seismologists, there is usually about one quake of magnitude eight or more a year, and one reaching 8.8 would be expected only every few years.
Dr David Rothery, senior lecturer at the Open University's department of earth and environmental sciences, said the tsunami was "now radiating away from the epicentre and travelling at several hundred km per hour across the Pacific ocean".

Dr Brian Baptie, of the British Geological Survey, said: "In global terms this is a very rare quake. Chile has experienced some very big quakes in the past. It was about 124 miles north-east of the largest earthquake ever recorded – 9.5, in 1960 – which resulted in a destructive tsunami that killed many thousands of people around the Pacific."

He said a 1.3-metre tsunami wave was observed at Valparaiso about 20 minutes after the earthquake. "Tsunami waves in the deep ocean travel about the same speed as a jet plane and would take about 15 hours to reach Hawaii and about 20 hours to reach the other side of the Pacific," he said.

The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile on 22 May 1960. The magnitude-9.5 quake killed 1,655 people and left 2 million homeless, and caused a tsunami that killed people in Hawaii, Japan and the Philippines.

That tsunami was about one to four metres in height, according to Japan's meteorological agency. It said the tsunami from today's quake was likely to be much smaller.

Beorn
02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Don't fuck with Great Britain South America. That one was just a warning.

Baron Samedi
02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Awesome.

Murphy
02-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm beginning to think it's near the end.

Beorn
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Me too. The fact this thread is posted in the 'Helpdesk and Suggestions' section just plain scares the shit outta me man.

The Lawspeaker
02-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Blimey ! I thought that I had posted it in the News section. Can someone move this thread, please ?

Murphy
02-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Me too. The fact this thread is posted in the 'Helpdesk and Suggestions' section just plain scares the shit outta me man.

I'm sure there is something about God saving the best for last in the Bible.

Hrolf Kraki
02-27-2010, 03:08 PM

How so? Because two massive earthquakes, a natural phenomenon, occured within a few weeks of one another?

Hell, what do you think people were saying in Lisbon back in 1755?

Murphy
02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
How so? Because two massive earthquakes, a natural phenomenon, occured within a few weeks of one another?

Hell, what do you think people were saying in Lisbon back in 1755?

I T - W A S - A - J O K E!

I do not believe the End Times are coming because of these earthquakes. I believe the End Times are coming because of the state of society today.

Hrolf Kraki
02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I T - W A S - A - J O K E!

I do not believe the End Times are coming because of these earthquakes. I believe the End Times are coming because of the state of society today.

Ok hold on a second. To believe that the end times are coming because of the state of society sounds just as absurd as if it was because of earthquakes. How am I to know one's a joke and the other's not? :confused:

What do you think people thought in 410 when Rome was sacked... or in 476 when the empire collapsed!? :eek:

Murphy
02-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Ok hold on a second. To believe that the end times are coming because of the state of society sounds just as absurd as if it was because of earthquakes. How am I to know one's a joke and the other's not? :confused:

One was obviously a joke. I didn't bring up the other until you decided to take me seriously.

What do you think people thought in 410 when Rome was sacked... or in 476 when the empire collapsed!? :eek:

You can go back to the months after Christ ascended into Heaven to sit t the right hand of the Father. The early Church thought that the End Times were just weeks or days away.

It is true, at all times when society is near collapse, Christians have believed the End Times were upon us. I simply feel it is near time. If I am wrong, I am wrong. But in the end, Christ will come again whether it is tomorrow, next year, ten years from now or another thousand.

Hrolf Kraki
02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
But in the end, Christ will come again whether it is tomorrow, next year, ten years from now or another thousand.

Oh yeah... Now I remember why I had you on ignore.

Murphy
02-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh yeah... Now I remember why I had you on ignore.

A favourite tactic of your Mr Dawkins.

Baron Samedi
02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
One was obviously a joke. I didn't bring up the other until you decided to take me seriously.

You can go back to the months after Christ ascended into Heaven to sit t the right hand of the Father. The early Church thought that the End Times were just weeks or days away.

It is true, at all times when society is near collapse, Christians have believed the End Times were upon us. I simply feel it is near time. If I am wrong, I am wrong. But in the end, Christ will come again whether it is tomorrow, next year, ten years from now or another thousand.

I personally hope you are correct, Papist.

Lenny
02-28-2010, 06:45 AM
So was there a tsunami or not?

A friend of mine informs me that Australian beaches have been closed off and all people forced away.

Hrolf Kraki
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM

A friend of mine informs me that Australian beaches have been closed off and all people forced away.

I don't think so. Hawaii sure dodged a bullet!

There were some other more long-term consequences, however:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/7349929/Chile-earthquake-may-have-shortened-length-of-Earths-days.html

Psychonaut
03-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't think so. Hawaii sure dodged a bullet

I guess so. They evacuated the coastal areas early that morning, but not a damn thing happened.

Brynhild
03-02-2010, 09:40 PM

In a word, No. Aside from a rip forming, that was about it.

Lenny
03-03-2010, 04:31 AM
I don't think so. Hawaii sure dodged a bullet!

There were some other more long-term consequences, however:

shortened the length of an Earth day by about 1.26 microseconds (a microsecond is one millionth of a second).
So if we just have 60,000,000 more of these earthquakes, Earth days will be one minute shorter :cool:

Hrolf Kraki
03-03-2010, 04:44 AM
So if we just have 60,000,000 more of these earthquakes, Earth days will be one minute shorter :cool:

Shit we might have to start altering calendars soon!