PDA

View Full Version : Is ethnicity patrilineal or matrilineal in your culture?

Elsa
08-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Is ethnicity inherited through the father or the mother in your culture, or is there no expressed rule?

If ethnicity is patrilineal in your culture, then you would consider someone who has a father of same ethnicity as you to belong to your ethnic group. You would not consider a person who has a mother of the same ethnicity as you to belong to your ethnic group, or at least, they do not belong as much as someone who has a father of the same ethnicity as you.

If ethnicity is matrilineal in your culture, then you would consider someone who has a mother of same ethnicity as you to belong to your ethnic group. You would not consider a person who has a father of the same ethnicity as you to belong to your ethnic group, or at least, they do not belong as much as someone who has a mother of the same ethnicity as you.

Smaug
08-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Neither. I don't think this concept exists in Europe or in the Western World as a whole.

Trun
08-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Generally people with at least 75% Bulgarian ancestry are considered ethnic Bulgarians. If the other ancestry is non-European, it should be less than 12,5% and/or not visible in the phenotype (in case of gypsies, Vietnamese, etc).

Elsa
08-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Neither. I don't think this concept exists in Europe or in the Western World as a whole.

I read that it exists in some Balkan countries, and was one of the reasons for the rape of women during the Yugoslav wars. Ethnicity was regarded as patrilineal, so children born to the raped women would inherent their rapist father's ethnicity.

And I believe among Jews ethnicity is matrilineal.

alfieb
08-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't recall even Germany giving a shit whether a mixed person's Aryan-ness came from their mother or their father, but I could be wrong.

Trun
08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I read that it exists in some Balkan countries, and was one of the reasons for the rape of women during the Yugoslav wars. Ethnicity was regarded as patrilineal, so children born to the raped women would inherent their rapist father's ethnicity.

This might exist in barbaric tribes of Serbia, Montenegro and Albania, not here :D

Raven_
08-05-2014, 11:38 AM
we do not have a strongly expressed concept of patrineal /matrineal inheritance of predominant ethnicity. Of course, it is easier to blend in,if your father's surname (as a result, yours too) doesn't sound foreign.

Instinct
08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Both of them.

Illancha
08-05-2014, 11:42 AM
It's not a straight-forward issue to address. I cannot decide one way or the other because each case is unique. For a start, I would not be inclined to view even a fully Chechen individual who neither speaks the language nor lives by the culture and values as truly a Chechen.

Insuperable
08-05-2014, 11:54 AM

You may be right, but it sounds silly to me that the reason is so recent. I think people inclining to father has no other basis other than strong tradition and being a man of the house in a more traditional sense and Balkans was still very traditional and tribal place to the point when modernized western European women wouldn't want to be in shoes of married women here. Also in mixed marriages daughters seem more likely to be indentified with their father more than sons would if you ask me.

Smaug
08-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Yes, "Jewishness" is matrilineal. This concept exists in the Middle East. For example, an Arab is considered an Arab if the father was Arab. Ottoman influence in the Balkans might explain their behaviour.

Ouistreham
08-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Contrary to almost all cultures on planet Earth, European nations are as a whole bilinear and bilocal.
An explicit preference for the father side exists in noble lineages though (an innovation introduced by the Frankish Salic Law).
Slavic, Baltic and Magyar cultures have a slight bias in favour of patrilinearity (Finland and Italy to some extent too), but nowhere near to the extreme degree of patrilinearity that is prevalent in China, India or the Islamo-Arabic world.
Traces of matrilinearity can be found in NW Spain and Portugal as well as on some Greek islands, most probably as a dissociative reaction in front of aristocratic customs.

Black Wolf
08-05-2014, 12:50 PM

Among Jews religion is usually inherited matrilineally however religion is not really the same thing as ethnicity although when it comes to Jews religion and ethnicity seem to be strongly linked.

Kiyant
08-05-2014, 12:53 PM
In my culture it is always looked what the father is.
If the father is an Ahiska then the child is fully Ahiska (even if he is half French/Russian/German or whatever)
If the mother is an Ahiska the child is considered what the father is (but its not like he isnt accepted as an Ahiska)

Black Wolf
08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Contrary to almost all cultures on planet Earth, European nations are as a whole bilinear and bilocal.
An explicit preference for the father side exists in noble lineages though (an innovation introduced by the Frankish Salic Law).
Slavic, Baltic and Magyar cultures have a slight bias in favour of patrilinearity (Finland and Italy to some extent too), but nowhere near to the extreme degree of patrilinearity that is prevalent in China, India or the Islamo-Arabic world.
Traces of matrilinearity can be found in NW Spain and Portugal as well as on some Greek islands, most probably as a dissociative reaction in front of aristocratic customs.

Some scholars think that the Basques at some point in time were also matrilineal or had some matrilineal features in their society.

aimar
08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Both, but I think the mother's family is usually more central in kids life, specially after a divorce.
Kids get both their father's and mother's name here, I used to think that was the norm in the rest of Europe, but I think it only happens in Portugal and Spain

Ouistreham
08-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Some scholars think that the Basques at some point in time were also matrilineal or had some matrilineal features in their society.
Quite right.
The Basque family structure used to be a case of bilinearity whithin a stem-family system.
In the latter, the privileged heir (for lots of technical reasons), the one who inherits most or all of the property and has authority on the other siblings, is almost always the eldest male. The Basque originality is that very often the privileged heir could be a girl if she happened to be the first born.
In such a case the eldest daughter would use her younger brothers as employees, she would marry and transmit her surname to her children, and since Basque family names are generally estate names we would be in front of a perfect matrilineal succession.

Kids get both their father's and mother's name here, I used to think that was the norm in the rest of Europe, but I think it only happens in Portugal and Spain
Yep. Possibly related to the above.

Empecinado
08-05-2014, 01:37 PM

All Iberians especially in the north had matrilineal features, but Basques are the ones who have preserved better it. Even monarchical succession in the Asturian monarchy was done under a matrilineal structure: wife transmitted hereditary rights to husband and not the other way around.

Black Wolf
08-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Quite right.
The Basque family structure used to be a case of bilinearity whithin a stem-family system.
In the latter, the privileged heir (for lots of technical reasons), the one who inherits most or all of the property and has authority on the other siblings, is almost always the eldest male. The Basque originality is that very often the privileged heir could be a girl if she happened to be the first born.
In such a case the eldest daughter would use her younger brothers as employees, she would marry and transmit her surname to her children, and since Basque family names are generally estate names we would be in front of a perfect matrilineal succession.

Yep. Possibly related to the above.

Now there are a few societies or ethnic groups in Europe today who preserved tribal structures and clan systems such as the Ghegs of Northern Albania and Montenegrins and some Serbs in Montenegro. These groups were and are patrilineal. Do you think that most of Europe would have been like these peoples 1500 years ago or so?