Hithaeglir
08-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Vote :)

Rudel
08-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I swear I voted for "Greek". :rolleyes:

Ouistreham
08-07-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm not much interested in food, I don't use to be picky about what I'm served, I can absorb and metabolize just about anything except for bolognese sauce (looks like puke) and parmiggiano (tastes like puke), other than that I'm rather tolerant with Southern specialties, but I have to tell the sad truth: greek food is simply unedible.

Peikko
08-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Isn't French cuisine just a cheap copy of Italian cuisine.?

Rudel
08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm not much interested in food
T'es sûr d'être français ?

Isn't French cuisine just a cheap copy of Italian cuisine.?
Some parts of Italy relate regionally (in particular Liguria with Provence) in terms of cuisine, but no. I think Italian cuisine tends to be meh overall, even though they have a strong sense of tradition in their approach to food (which I appreciate). Sicilian one is pretty nice, though.
http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Classic-French-Recipes?dom=SAV&loc=relatedrec&con=IMG

Aldaris
09-07-2014, 07:51 PM
I like greek food, but its absolutely nothing compared to french food.

Queen B
09-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Greek cuisine hands down.
No cuisine tops it. Especially NOT French.

Styrian Mujo
09-07-2014, 07:56 PM
More like Turkish vs French cuisine.

Sikeliot
09-07-2014, 07:57 PM

It's so ironic you say this when Bosnia is one of the most similar places in the Balkans to Turkey.

Bloodnigger
09-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Neither. Steak is the way to go.

Styrian Mujo
09-07-2014, 08:03 PM
It's so ironic you say this when Bosnia is one of the most similar places in the Balkans to Turkey.
Well yes but Greeks seem to have a need to claim Turkish food as their own. Like rahat lokum also known as 'Turkish delight' and Greeks just rename it to 'Greek delight' and the same goes with the so called 'Greek coffe' and etc.

gültekin
09-07-2014, 08:10 PM
of course the Greek Cuisine :
dolma-dakis
sarma-dakis
börek-dakis
köfte-dakis
imambayildi-dakis
cacık-dakis
pilav-dakis
"Greek" Coffe :picard1:
Gyros :dizzy: (pork döner)
Souflaki (shish kebab)

Faklon
09-07-2014, 08:11 PM

Greek cuisine nowadays is quite diverse,some dishes were brought by people who lived in Anatolia.

On the other hand when you google Bosnian cuisine you get this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_cuisine

Bosnian cuisine is balanced between Western and Eastern influences. The food is closely related to Turkish, Middle Eastern, and other Mediterranean cuisines. However, due to years of Austrian rule, there are also many culinary influences from Central Europe.

You can read the Bosnian dishes in a catalogue and understand fully the history of their rulers,a dish for each ruler.

Faklon
09-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Well yes but Greeks seem to have a need to claim Turkish food as their own. Like rahat lokum also known as 'Turkish delight' and Greeks just rename it to 'Greek delight' and the same goes with the so called 'Greek coffe' and etc.

As partly Bosniak,you're also committed to give credit to your masters,the Turks.

Both lokum and coffee are Arabic words thought.

Guapo
09-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Faroe Islands 1 - 1 Finland

Guapo
09-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Ah yes, and I voted for Greek cuisine. french food sucks

Aldaris
09-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Ah yes, and I voted for Greek cuisine. french food sucks

Try some chateaubriand with suprême sauce, or properly cooked beef bourguignon and then tell me again it sucks.

turkojew
09-07-2014, 08:35 PM
YUMM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Escargotbordeaux.jpg

turkojew
09-07-2014, 08:38 PM
As partly Bosniak,you're also committed to give credit to your masters,the Turks.

Both lokum and coffee are Arabic words thought.

Loukoumades is also derived from arabic 'lokma' but it is a pure Greek food indeed.

Guapo
09-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Faroe Islands 1 - 3 Finland

Aldaris
09-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Missclick, right?

Alessio
09-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I love Greek cuisine especially cuisine from Crete! French cuisine is also very good ! Southern French food is the best of France.

Archduke
09-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Voted for Greek cuisine. I just love melomakarona!

Queen B
09-07-2014, 08:49 PM
I see the butthurtness of Turks all around the thread.
It seems that they can't grasp the fact that Greek cuisine is popular, while Turkish isn't even though there are a couple of common dishes.

dolma-dakis
sarma-dakis
imambayildi-dakis
börek-dakis

Noone claimed them as being Greek.
Dolmadakia are delicious though.
I can eat tones of them.

köfte-dakis
You mean, meatballs.
Sorry to break your heart, but meatballs aren't a turkish invention.
Just because you have a name for it, and we use it, or others use it as well, doesn't make it a turkish food :picard2:

pilav-dakis
Pilav is nothing more than.... rice. So you also are the rice-dish name-holders except the meatball kings.
Good luck with the rest of Asians.:thumb001:

Personally, I don't care about neither, since I like neither.
I'm more for Frape - good old Greek frape, and an Italian Capuccino.

Souflaki (shish kebab)
Skewers were used even in ancient Greece for grilling meat and Satay is used in Japan as well.
Yet, you are also the masters just because you also have a plate names shish kebab? :picard2:

Anyways, apart from the dishes that we had both common due to Byzantine years (remember?) and Ottoman years ,
there are much more to the Greek cuisine than that.

Queen B
09-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Those little balls of heaven ! :heartbea::heartbea::heartbea:

gültekin
09-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I see the butthurtness of Turks all around the thread.
It seems that they can't grasp the fact that Greek cuisine is popular, while Turkish isn't even though there are a couple of common dishes.

Noone claimed them as being Greek.
Dolmadakia are delicious though.
I can eat tones of them.

You mean, meatballs.
Sorry to break your heart, but meatballs aren't a turkish invention.
Just because you have a name for it, and we use it, or others use it as well, doesn't make it a turkish food :picard2:

Pilav is nothing more than.... rice. So you also are the rice-dish name-holders except the meatball kings.
Good luck with the rest of Asians.:thumb001:

Personally, I don't care about neither, since I like neither.
I'm more for Frape - good old Greek frape, and an Italian Capuccino.

Skewers were used even in ancient Greece for grilling meat and Satay is used in Japan as well.
Yet, you are also the masters just because you also have a plate names shish kebab? :picard2:

Anyways, apart from the dishes that we had both common due to Byzantine years (remember?) and Ottoman years ,
there are much more to the Greek cuisine than that.
pls my sweet neighbor let's be respectful to the roots :wink
we have many Greek origin foods and we calling them with original names, most popular is Kokorech (kokoretsi) thats don't make us Gavur , and calling Turkish coffee and others etc. turns you not to Barbars :rolleyes:

edit Tavuk Göğsü (Chicken breast) ops Greek version Tavukgoksu :icon_lol:
http://img2.blogcu.com/images/y/e/m/yemekduragi/tavuk_gogsu.jpg

Sakis
09-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Just because the Turks make meatballs that doesn't mean that all of the meatballs around the world are coming from the Turks,even the Swedes make meatballs and the pita bread that is used to make gyros exists since the age of ancient Greece.

Queen B
09-07-2014, 09:11 PM
edit Tavuk Göğsü (Chicken breast) ops Greek version Tavukgoksu :icon_lol:
http://img2.blogcu.com/images/y/e/m/yemekduragi/tavuk_gogsu.jpg
We don't have such thing in our cuisine

Alessio
09-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Turkish food is 'good' but Greek food is stupendous! Many of the Turkish dishes are either Greek or Armenian derivatives anyway. What I really like is Cig Kofte because it's really healthy and powerful without the use of meat and is also perfect for vegetarians.

gültekin
09-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Just because the Turks make meatballs that doesn't mean that all of the meatballs around the world are coming from the Turks,even the Swedes make meatballs and the pita bread that is used to make gyros exists since the age of ancient Greece.
dude, we make meatballs with same way. swed is different. and Greeks calling that "Keftédes"
Gyros since ancient? interresting

Immortal Technique
09-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Both sucks

Sakis
09-07-2014, 09:19 PM
dude, we make meatballs with same way. swed is different. and Greeks calling that "Keftédes"

Gyros is not ancient but the pita bread that is used to make gyros is.

gültekin
09-07-2014, 09:20 PM
We don't have such thing in our cuisine
nope, you have, because its Roman-Greek origin.
is a dessert pudding made with chicken and milk
maybe you have never heard

Casandrinos
09-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Gyros is indeed from the kebab family

But who can confirm that it was first made by Turks?

It was first made in Prousa (Bursa) at 19th century

A city that was pred. Greek,Armenian and Jewish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar3MvuxeUMk (the woman is Turkish)

Faklon
09-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Both sucks

All Italian spaghetti is copy of "λάγανον/laganum".

Discuss.

Immortal Technique
09-07-2014, 09:24 PM
You can kiss italian ass.

Queen B
09-07-2014, 09:25 PM
I don't see the reason of fighting over food.Food and alchohol connects people.

See? I can eat tones of Dolmades even if they aren't Greek. I can also eat lots of kunefe.

Just bring it on !

Faklon
09-07-2014, 09:26 PM
You can kiss italian ass.

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-porca-puttana-4.png

Casandrinos
09-07-2014, 09:27 PM
All Italian spaghetti is copy of "λάγανον/laganum".

Discuss.

Even pizza is a degenerate version of pita

And if it wasn't for those Guidos Italians despise none would eat it.

Discuss more.

gültekin
09-07-2014, 09:30 PM
I don't see the reason of fighting over food.Food and alchohol connects people.

See? I can eat tones of Dolmades even if they aren't Greek. I can also eat lots of kunefe.

Just bring it on !
and im a fan of Kokoretsi and i like Tavukgoksu very much:)
i don't fight over food, i guess you got the point, or not?
(but Rakı > Uozo)

Queen B
09-07-2014, 09:35 PM
(but Rakı > Uozo)
I dislike them both.
Beer, wine and Vodka here :thumb001:

gültekin
09-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I dislike them both.
Beer, wine and Vodka here :thumb001:
ooov you traitor!!!

Immortal Technique
09-07-2014, 09:46 PM
greek womens like turkish man

gültekin
09-07-2014, 09:51 PM
greek womens like turkish man
but Turkish mans like Ukrainians :confused:
this evils will destroy our conqueror Turanian race :mad:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsqvVB4CUAMH7CV.jpg

Immortal Technique
09-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Yeah greek womens enjoy turkish mens

TheForeigner
11-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Greek food, like all Balkanic food is very heavily Turkish and Oriental influenced and very good as such. French food is more distinctive and unique and known around the world as the best.

Sikeliot
11-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Greek food is the same as in other Balkan countries (with variation), so it's not even a country-specific set of foods.

Porpolita
11-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Savoury food - Greek
Sweet food - French

Queen B
11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Greek food is the same as in other Balkan countries (with variation), so it's not even a country-specific set of foods.
Have you ever had Greek food ?
Which one of these you tasted?
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?138908-Greek-vs-Turkish-Cuisine&p=2941620&viewfull=1#post2941620

Imodium
11-03-2014, 06:31 PM
French

Immortal Technique
11-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Never tried greek cuisine but it's probably some kind of middle eastern,turkish,asian food,french is not that bad

Linebacker
11-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Im going to vote French here.I have tried both.

Except for the snails and frogs legs,French kitchen is superb.

SardiniaAtlantis
11-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Greek, of course.

Gustave H
11-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Greek!

wvwvw
11-03-2014, 07:44 PM
The Greek cuisine is quite diverse and disntinctively Greek nowadays and no, it is not similar to Turkish. 100 years ago it may have shared more similarities with the Turkish cuisine, but since then it has evolved separately. (and the same goes for other Balkan nations' cuisine)

Anyone who has been to Greece will tell you this, The Greek cuisine is a lot more Mediterranean, fish oriented, while most of Turkish dishes look and taste Persian or Middle Eastern, a lot of rice dishes with exotic spices, a lot of middle eastern sweets like baklavas, oriental pitas, kebabs and so on.

Yeah we share the turkish delivht baklavas, which was common 100 years among Minor Asia Greeks, but nowadays it is not common at all. We have tons more dishes similar to French and Italian cuisine than to Turkish.

Cretan cuisine has been consistenly been voted as the healthiest cuisine in the world, while the Turkish cuisine is full of fat. I'd venture to say that the Bosnian, Albanian and Bulgarian cuisines are a lot more similar to Turkish cuisine than the Greek is.

wvwvw
11-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Having said that, I voted for the French cuisine, because I like to try new things, and French dishes seem enticing.

Bloodsport
11-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Greek, 100%. For me, it's the best cuisine in the world and no, not only because it's been my primary diet for all my life :thumb001:. But Greek cuisine makes use of simple, healthy ingredients cooked well. You can't beat it. And Greek food is very Greece specific. There are some things shared with Balkan and Middle Eastern countries, as well as Italian, but it's very small. Greek food is unique :).

Not to belittle other cuisines :D.

wvwvw
11-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Greek, 100%. For me, it's the best cuisine in the world and no, not only because it's been my primary diet for all my life :thumb001:. But Greek cuisine makes use of simple, healthy ingredients cooked well. You can't beat it. And Greek food is very Greece specific. There are some things shared with Balkan and Middle Eastern countries, as well as Italian, but it's very small. Greek food is unique :).

Not to belittle other cuisines :D.

Gosh how many times do we have to hear by Turks and some anti-greek Balkanocroatogypos-Austrian-wanna bes that our cuisine is Turkish and they bring always as an example baklavas (most Greek kids nowadays dont know what it is) and dolmades which we eat once a year if not less.

Nevermind that we have tons of dishes almost identical to Italian cuisine and other cuisines, no, they always have to bring as example baklava and dolmades a dish adopted by even countries like Ukraine.

Anyway Croats and Hungarians seem to suffer from deep complexes, in their quest to be seen as central europeans they must ottomanize Serbs and Greeks.

Casandrinos
11-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Gosh how many times do we have to hear by Turks and some anti-greek Balkanocroatogypos-Austrian-wanna bes that our cuisine is Turkish and they bring always as an example baklavas (most Greek kids nowadays dont know what it is) and dolmades which we eat once a year if not less.

Nevermind that we have tons of dishes almost identical to Italian cuisine and other cuisines, no, they always have to bring as example baklava and dolmades a dish adopted by even countries like Ukraine.

Anyway Croats and Hungarians seem to suffer from deep complexes, in their quest to be seen as central europeans they must ottomanize Serbs and Greeks.

Τον μπακλαβα δεν θα τον πιανεις στο στομα σου

Τον μπακλαβα

Bloodsport
11-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Most people will use Greek/'Turkish' coffee and Baklava as an example. Or they get Gyros and Turkish 'Kebab' confused even though they are clearly very different dishes. There's only a very small handful of things that are shared with Turks. Greek cuisine is very unique and has been around for over 2,000 years.

Linet
11-03-2014, 08:43 PM

Then you have good taste http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/raccoon/hahaha-raccoon-emoticon.gif?1302774073

dolma-dakis
sarma-dakis
börek-dakis
köfte-dakis
imambayildi-dakis
cacık-dakis
pilav-dakis
Souflaki (shish kebab)

Well, gastronony is a greek word itself and was mentioned by Arhestratos at 400 BC :old in his book about the Greek foods and which places had the best products :food-smiley-002:.
Then Athenaios in his book about the Greek recipies on 200, can offer you the recipie for dolma-daki and also the recipie for halva-daki and also the recipie even for baklava-daki :hungry: etc.
At 200AD you had no clue not only where Greece or minor Asia was, but not even what wine leafs were, so i doubt you could cook somethign you had never seen.
Also yeah....pita and galeta, a type of hard bread that they would soften in wine, as well as the normal bread were in the everyday diet of the Greeks since the ancient times.

Turks had no food culture before to reach the area and they were accounted with the oven when they concored Constantinoupolis. Hard to bake when you dont know what oven is, when we had ovens in Greece since 2000BC, one of them is in display in the museum of Santorini, feel welcomed to visit and admire it.

Those little balls of heaven ! :heartbea::heartbea::heartbea:

I think i am the only Greek who doesnt think that melomakarona come from heaven http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/raccoon/thanks-raccoon-emoticon.gif?1302774079 , i totally dislike them yet people cant accept it and try to force feed them to me every time http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/onion-head/stress-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862521

Graus
11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Why ist it that in every thread remotely related to Greece, the Turks have to come in and either insult or claim parts of Greek culture? Nobody believes of the culunary high culture of Asian nomads, you stole basically everything of value.
About the topic at hand its not even a contest, I always loved the "Germanised" Greek food since I was a child and I love the original I encountered in Greece even more. Very tasty food from good local sources.
French food on the other hand is probably the most overrated thing in the world, I never met anyone who genuine liked it, tho some people may pretend to like it since the French did a very good job to present and promote it and people who call it for what it really is, are considered to be "ignorant" in food culture. I am sorry France the emperor is naked and almost everyone knows it.

Bloodsport
11-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Why ist it that in every thread remotely related to Greece, the Turks have to come in and either insult or claim parts of Greek culture? Nobody believes of the culunary high culture of Asian nomads, you stole basically everything of value.
About the topic at hand its not even a contest, I always loved the "Germanised" Greek food since I was a child and I love the original I encountered in Greece even more. Very tasty food from good local sources.
French food on the other hand is probably the most overrated thing in the world, I never met anyone who genuine liked it, tho some people may pretend to like it since the French did a very good job to present and promote it and people who call it for what it really is, are considered to be "ignorant" in food culture. I am sorry France the emperor is naked and almost everyone knows it.

It hurts the Turks that, 1) Greek culture is superior and has been around for far, far longer. 2) In all their years of occupying Greece they left next to nothing. They could not impose their culture on Greeks.

Dianatomia
11-03-2014, 09:18 PM
dolma-dakis
sarma-dakis
börek-dakis
köfte-dakis
imambayildi-dakis
cacık-dakis
pilav-dakis
Souflaki (shish kebab)

Many Greek dishes have Turkish names because the dishes had to be named that way in the Ottoman empire. The dishes were prepared in the Byzantine empire as well. The Byzantine cuisine was an ever evolving cuisine starting from ancient Greece and was also influenced by the peoples the Greeks interacted with. Sometimes adaptations were made in the Ottoman empire. But this is simple evolution. Turks just added some extra flavor.

Many modern Greek and Turkish musical instruments have Byzantine origin as well. Yet some do carry Turkish names.

Don't be too down about this though. It's not as if most ancestors of the Turks were not in Anatolia when the Turks came and blended in. Most of your ancestors were preparing the dishes in Anatolia before the Turks arrived there. It would be an insult if you would think that they did not know how to prepare good food until the Ottomans arrived.

Ouistreham
11-03-2014, 09:33 PM
French food on the other hand is probably the most overrated thing in the world
As if there could be anything above THAT:
http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Vq0Sa4engLTuDKUfsjDXRA/l.jpg

wvwvw
11-03-2014, 09:47 PM
The same coffee in Serbia is called Serbian coffee, and in Bulgaria is called Bulgarian coffee. What makes it particularly a Turkish coffee? In Italy it is called Espresso. The coffee was introduced to Ottomans by Ethiopians and Ottomans introduced it to Europeans.

We call it Greek, but it nowadays just one type of the many coffees that exist in Greece. We call it Greek for the same reason you call your coffee Turkish instead of Ottoman.

Scholarios
11-04-2014, 01:16 AM
The Greek cuisine is quite diverse and disntinctively Greek nowadays and no, it is not similar to Turkish. 100 years ago it may have shared more similarities with the Turkish cuisine, but since then it has evolved separately. (and the same goes for other Balkan nations' cuisine)

Anyone who has been to Greece will tell you this, The Greek cuisine is a lot more Mediterranean, fish oriented, while most of Turkish dishes look and taste Persian or Middle Eastern, a lot of rice dishes with exotic spices, a lot of middle eastern sweets like baklavas, oriental pitas, kebabs and so on.

Yeah we share the turkish delivht baklavas, which was common 100 years among Minor Asia Greeks, but nowadays it is not common at all. We have tons more dishes similar to French and Italian cuisine than to Turkish.

Cretan cuisine has been consistenly been voted as the healthiest cuisine in the world, while the Turkish cuisine is full of fat. I'd venture to say that the Bosnian, Albanian and Bulgarian cuisines are a lot more similar to Turkish cuisine than the Greek is.

Greek cuisine is unique and diverse, that's for sure. And regionally and even by village there are huge differences. Sea foods are our territory and Turkish seafood is almost all of Greek origin with Greek names.

BUUUT, c'mon. Greek and Turkish "fast food" is really similar and everyone in Greece eats it. and sweets like galataboureko, baklava, kourabiedes are famous as Greek and may have come from Turkey... or even Persia. The whole concept of a pita/bourek is shared by all of Balkanites and Turks, and if you don't eat them you are not Greek. :thumb001:

wvwvw
11-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Σκάσε εσύ γυφτολιβανέζε που δε χάνεις ευκαιρία να πετάγεσαι σε κάθε μου πόστ μου.

Scholarios
11-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Σκάσε εσύ γυφτολιβανέζε που δε χάνεις ευκαιρία να πετάγεσαι σε κάθε μου πόστ μου.

Calm down, you don't miss the opportunity to thumb me down- i think that is a record- 30 seconds from posting to thumbs down. I speak truth. We don't need Europeanized or be ashamed of cuisine. Its eclectic variety is what makes Greek food one of the most popular cuisines in the world.

wvwvw
11-04-2014, 01:28 AM
Calm down, you don't miss the opportunity to thumb me down- i think that is a record- 30 seconds from posting to thumbs down. I speak truth. We don't need Europeanized or be ashamed of cuisine. Its eclectic variety is what makes Greek food one of the most popular cuisines in the world.

Says the half Lebanese who is ashamed of being Greek and his sister are all married to Arabs.

Σταμάτα να ασχολείσαι συνεχώς μαζί μου ηλίθιε που μου έβαλες και την ελληνική σημαία στο προφίλ σου.

Scholarios
11-04-2014, 01:28 AM

I have never heard "Greek delight" before. It's pretty clear anyway, Turkish coffee is "Anatolian coffee". But in any case, best not to get butthurt about foods.

Scholarios
11-04-2014, 01:41 AM
huh and HUH? Vlach, behave.

Incal
11-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Greek food. French food is served like appetizer.

King Claus
11-04-2014, 02:56 AM
First time in my life that I've voted for something in favour of France.

LightHouse89
11-04-2014, 03:18 AM
I like frog food more.

LightHouse89
11-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Greek food. French food is served like appetizer.

yes snails and frog legs LOL.

LightHouse89
11-04-2014, 03:20 AM
I like american food because it steals every cultures cuisine and makes it better. :rolleyes:

SardiniaAtlantis
11-04-2014, 03:55 AM
I like american food because it steals every cultures cuisine and makes it better. :rolleyes:

I happen to think it makes it worse.... The American filter on food makes it come out with, excessively added fat, shortcuts, lower quality ingredients, and either spicier, sweeter, or saltier. But that is just my take! ;)

MINARDOWICZ
11-04-2014, 04:02 AM
A better face-off is Italian and French. Both became popular here even and are known to be awesome world wide... I like French food but Italian is the best! :p Greek, I don't know enough about, but French is simply more influential

SardiniaAtlantis
11-04-2014, 04:04 AM
A better face-off is Italian and French. Both became popular here even and are known to be awesome world wide... I like French food but Italian is the best! :p Greek, I don't know enough about, but French is simply more influential

Without Italian cuisine there would be no French.

MINARDOWICZ
11-04-2014, 04:08 AM
I happen to think it makes it worse.... The American filter on food makes it come out with, excessively added fat, shortcuts, lower quality ingredients, and either spicier, sweeter, or saltier. But that is just my take! ;)
I know this applies to Italian food, for instance. I've had a lot of Italian-American food (I consider it a different category from Italian food) and it tastes very different from food made by my family (my mom cooks very much so the same meals my nonno from Campania cooks and a fewwww extra ones from my Calabrese/Apulian side too). The pizza for instance. My mom makes it the same as my nonno and it is just frickin amazing... I'll never get pizza around here that good, no matter how much I spend, I feel. Apparently, a lot of people make good pizza like that in the Campania region. It is stylistically similar to the pizza I grew up with and have always loved. I wanna go some day for that reason, to taste some more good food ;). Not to mention, all the high quality meats and cheeses I wold have access to omg!

Scholarios
11-04-2014, 04:11 AM

I do like the American take on certain Italian dishes. When I lived in USA I had dinner at some Italian Americans house and ate out Italian food sometimes... Big plates of red sauce/ ragu, greens, peppers, etc... Great pizza too. I don't like most greek American specialties, but Italian American ... Maybe it's not healthy, but it's great.

SardiniaAtlantis
11-04-2014, 04:12 AM
I know this applies to Italian food, for instance. I've had a lot of Italian-American food (I consider it a different category from Italian food) and it tastes very different from food made by my family (my mom cooks very much so the same meals my nonno from Campania cooks and a fewwww extra ones from my Calabrese/Apulian side too). The pizza for instance. My mom makes it the same as my nonno and it is just frickin amazing... I'll never get pizza around here that good, no matter how much I spend, I feel. Apparently, a lot of people make good pizza like that in the Campania region. It is stylistically similar to the pizza I grew up with and have always loved. I wanna go some day for that reason, to taste some more good food ;). Not to mention, all the high quality meats and cheeses I wold have access to omg!

Italian food is very simple, just quality ingredients and good balance is all you need. It got screwed up in America only because Americans generally have a lack of appreciation and understanding for the outside world, and that got reflected in the way they treat other peoples cuisines.

SardiniaAtlantis
11-04-2014, 04:15 AM
I do like the American take on certain Italian dishes. When I lived in USA I had dinner at some Italian Americans house and ate out Italian food sometimes... Big plates of red sauce/ ragu, greens, peppers, etc... Great pizza too. I don't like most greek American specialties, but Italian American ... Maybe it's not healthy, but it's great.

I suppose it depends, I would need more of an idea on which dishes exactly you mean. The more popular Italian-American things are basically things from Campania that really are not changed too much except in drowning in tomato sauce. Pizza can be good NY style for instance! I will stop here before we derail this thread on Greek-french food!

Scholarios
11-04-2014, 04:20 AM
Italian food is very simple, just quality ingredients and good balance is all you need. It got screwed up in America only because Americans generally have a lack of appreciation and understanding for the outside world, and that got reflected in the way they treat other peoples cuisines.

I watched some documentary , and I don't know for sure... But Italian american food was made by Italian Americans. They used what was available to them, which was significantly more than what was available to calabrian peasants in 1909. Hence the giant cans of sauce and tomatoes, lots more fatty meats etc. of course, it's a matter of taste, but I wouldn't put Italian American food down to just a bastardization of Italian food based on a lack of respect- unless of course you mean like Pizza Hut.

But again , different strokes.

SardiniaAtlantis
11-04-2014, 04:23 AM
I watched some documentary , and I don't know for sure... But Italian american food was made by Italian Americans. They used what was available to them, which was significantly more than what was available to calabrian peasants in 1909. Hence the giant cans of sauce and tomatoes, lots more fatty meats etc. of course, it's a matter of taste, but I wouldn't put Italian American food down to just a bastardization of Italian food based on a lack of respect- unless of course you mean like Pizza Hut.

But again , different strokes.

That is a different story altogether. Yes you are right that is how in the Italian American communities it developed, but there is a difference from the food now with so many generations in America depending on the location and if the family has recent family from Italy etc..... it varies. Of course the stuff at Pizza Hut and the like its not even Italian in any right. Sorry to have derailed the thread!!

I love Souvlaki.

MINARDOWICZ
11-04-2014, 04:23 AM

Pretty simple, yet, but if you look at regional variety, that isn't too simple ;). Some really interesting dishes all over Italy. I love food from Central and South-Central Italy the most personally. We've eaten a lot of food that is popular in Campania and surrounding regions in my home for years and that is what I like the most. I like other Italian food though, too. I feel like most of the food in Italian American cuisine is based off of Calabrese (hence the spice) and Sicilian cuisine almost but then Americanized as well... What are some of your favorite Italian dishes?

Sfogliatelle are a nice lil treat for me btw, just a random thought.

SardiniaAtlantis
11-04-2014, 04:26 AM
Pretty simple, yet, but if you look at regional variety, that isn't too simple ;). Some really interesting dishes all over Italy. I love food from Central and South-Central Italy the most personally. We've eaten a lot of food that is popular in Campania and surrounding regions in my home for years and that is what I like the most. I like other Italian food though, too. I feel like most of the food in Italian American cuisine is based off of Calabrese (hence the spice) and Sicilian cuisine almost but then Americanized as well... What are some of your favorite Italian dishes?

Sfogliatelle are a nice lil treat for me btw, just a random thought.

I'll Pm them to you. But no more derailing this thread for me.

French food has its merits, but Greek I find do lamb just the way I am accustomed to and enjoy. And lamb is probably my favorite meat.
The Greeks also have an overall Mediterranean cuisine which I can appreciate much more.

Incal
11-04-2014, 04:28 AM

I grew up eating the american version of Pizza (Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc) and loved it. The first time I was in Italy and tried the original pizza I thought I had been scammed lol. Then when I lived in Italy for some months I got used to it and now I love both styles. Argie pizza is great too.

Immortal Technique
11-04-2014, 04:34 AM
It's normal that muricans find real pizza bad,they eat some fake cheap shit

Queen B
11-04-2014, 05:50 AM
I think i am the only Greek who doesnt think that melomakarona come from heaven http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/raccoon/thanks-raccoon-emoticon.gif?1302774079 , i totally dislike them yet people cant accept it and try to force feed them to me every time http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/onion-head/stress-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862521
Are you effin' kidding me ? You eat mageiritsa (*insertu puke here*) and you don't eat melomakarona??? :mad:

alfieb
11-04-2014, 05:59 AM
I can eat Greek every day for the rest of my life without complaint.

Even if they are a little hairy. :naughty:

Oh, and their food is decent, too. :nod:

Mex_abdul
11-04-2014, 06:06 AM
nothing can match hellinified kebabs (gyros). french only make good girls and wine.

alfieb
11-04-2014, 06:09 AM
nothing can match hellinified kebabs (gyros). french only make good girls and wine.

Pita, souvlaki, yoghurt, there's more to Greek food than gyros.

And there's more to Greek women than there is to French women. Literally. Mount Olympus has curves, but some Greek girls are comparable.

cally
11-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Give me souvlaki and greek salad and I'm good to go.. dammit i love wog food!

Scholarios
11-04-2014, 06:15 AM
I am not that familiar with French cuisine as others. I will say, that over all, what I have eaten doesn't impress me to the level of its reputation. On the other hand, it looks like a very diverse cuisine.

I will also say they have us beat on wine in general- though we are catching up. (our old traditional retsina, i just dont like it) but the newer wineries in greece produce world class stuff. Our cheeses beat theirs for sure, but also a matter of taste.

Rudel
11-04-2014, 12:01 PM
French food on the other hand is probably the most overrated thing in the world, I never met anyone who genuine liked it
I'd expect nothing else from a German than having the palate covered with shit.

Without Italian cuisine there would be no French.
Simply not true. This statement is consistently made by foreigners with a chip on their shoulder, in particular Italians, wanting to take some kind of cheap revenge on us. Which doesn't make a bit of difference, since they're wrong.

alfieb
11-04-2014, 05:44 PM
I'd expect nothing else from a German than having the palate covered with shit.
German beer, German sausage, Bavarian pretzels are better than anything to come from France. Covered in shit? You eat slugs and caviar. Sauerkraut is sophisticated compared to that.

Ever heard the expression, "the Germans should have dropped cookbooks on London during the Blitz"? Popular. No-one ever says that the French should have forced cooking lessons on the Germans during the Napoleonic Wars or after Versailles.

Simply not true. This statement is consistently made by foreigners with a chip on their shoulder, in particular Italians, wanting to take some kind of cheap revenge on us. Which doesn't make a bit of difference, since they're wrong.

Some misguided people in Italy actually like you frogs. God only knows why. You're even worse than the roast beefs.

spanish catalan
09-15-2015, 12:56 AM
greek cuisine, but french candies is the best

Siberian Cold Breeze
09-15-2015, 01:07 AM
Gyros is indeed from the kebab family

But who can confirm that it was first made by Turks?

It was first made in Prousa (Bursa) at 19th century
A city that was pred. Greek,Armenian and Jewish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar3MvuxeUMk (the woman is Turkish)

He was living in Bursa but recipe origin is Crimean Tatar .Recorded by Evliya Celebi Seyahatname dates back to 17 yy

http://tatarsalim.com.tr/hikayemiz.html

Bobby Martnen
12-10-2017, 05:50 AM
Greek food for sure.

No sane person wants to eat frogs and snails.

Fractal
12-10-2017, 05:54 AM
Greek food for sure.

Agreed.

but Greek food to me is overrated. I believe Greek,Persian, Mexican and Chinese should be boycotted.

Bobby Martnen
02-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Greek food for sure.

Nothing better than saganaki, loukaneko, and gyros.

ovidiu
02-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Really tough one. They're both so good in different ways. French has that classical foodie appeal, in a sometimes snobby way. But some of their more rustic dishes like ratatouille or coq au vin can be much more satisfying than that fancy Parisian gourmet stuff. I've had escargot on a cruise ship before; it was meh.

Greek though... it's very tasty hearty food. My parents cooked with food that was much closer to Greek, like stuffed peppers and grape leaves, musaka, eggplants, spinach, feta-like cheese called cascaval, grilled and skewered meat, lamb, plentiful olives, etc. I guess some of this is the legacy of the Ottomans though, but some is just native Balkan cuisine.

As far as gyros and stuff, I once used to eat them all the time in college, but now I've kinda gotten over them. Still okay from time to time.

brennus dux gallorum
02-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Greek food for sure.

both frogs and snails are pretty common in Greece, and in fact real Greek dishes. I mean, people here didn't even know gyros until late 80's :D

see the post above, he mentioned moussaka, which was completely unknown in Greece until a particular chef introduced it in 30's^^

catgeorge
02-21-2018, 10:12 PM
My lunch today looks something like this

http://fabulouscrete.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/212807-cretan.jpg

brennus dux gallorum
02-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Anyway, this time I have to recognize that Turks are right to bully us, as it was some stupid arrogant Greek restauranteurs in Athens who introduced all this-till 70's unknown in Greek society-middle eastern food, and presented it as Greek to the tourists, and now we present this cuisine as Greek, a cuisine that no house was aware of until late 70's, and everyone has no idea what real Greek cuisine is like:

unfortunately yes, he is right, not because Greek cuisine does not exist, it definetely does, and has nothing in common with Turkish, but because all "Greek" dishes he knows are some Turkish dishes that Greeks didn't even know until 70s.

Greek users don't take my post wrong, but you live here after all, and know that your grandmas were not aware of "kebab" or "Gyros", and even "baklava" for most of the country ;)

most of Greek cuisine has much more in common with mediterranean cuisines than anything turkish

I will open tommorow a thread about all these facts, with links

catgeorge
02-21-2018, 11:00 PM
mainland Greek cuisine is very simplistic. Feta, Olives, Greek salad, seafood, bean soup, gigandes, lagana bread, spanakorizo, sweets - koulourakia, finikia, karydopita, melamokarono, wine, tea, honey, tsipouro, retsina

the Anatolian Greeks did bring some amazing dishes to Greece though.. but mainland greek diet is very light whereas Anatolian greek has much more meat oriented dishes

ovidiu
02-26-2018, 09:26 PM
both frogs and snails are pretty common in Greece, and in fact real Greek dishes. I mean, people here didn't even know gyros until late 80's :D

see the post above, he mentioned moussaka, which was completely unknown in Greece until a particular chef introduced it in 30's^^

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

What about sweets like baklava, rahat, and halva? I take it those were introduced by the Turks.

Kelmendasi
02-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Greek food

brennus dux gallorum
02-26-2018, 09:30 PM

What about sweets like baklava, rahat, and halva? I take it those were introduced by the Turks.

The particular sweets are hardly common in Greek households, and I doubt if it's a different case from gyros, they were either part of anatolian Greek communities cuisine or were introduced much later (I don't know what rahat is to be honest).

Greece has many tasty native sweets, and Greek cuisine is easily distinguishable from oriental dishes and sweets, unfortunately our dumb restaurant owners prefer fooling the tourists with oriental cuisine than showing them real Greek cuisine

wvwvw
02-26-2018, 09:38 PM

Turkmen’s cuisine as described by Brockquiere was a very simple affair consisting primarily of the produce of their flocks.

Much of the later elaborate turkish cuisine was foreign to the Turkmen nomads and belonged to a sedentary cuisine already common to the eastern Mediterranean world since Roman times if not earlier.

A brief perusal of the pages of Athenaeus Deipnosophistae will confirm the assertion and therein the gastronomer will notice not only stuffed leaves but also the various sweets. There is great similiraty between turkish sweets and those enjoyed by the Byzantines.

The basic ingredients for these deserts were usually dough, sesame, wheat, nuts,mhoney, and various fruit. Thus the equivalent of the Turks borek, halva, baklavamand other delicacies are to be found in various byzantine and classical texts.

The byzantine pastilla seems to have covered a variety of sweets, usually mademwith boiled wheat and honey, or crushed nuts and honey, or sesame and honey,mor similar mixtures. Another byzantine favorite was the so-called kopthmor kopton (koptoplakoys) that was the same as the Turkish baklava. The delicacymwas known to Athenaeus who gives the recipe. It was, he says, made of leavesmof dough, between which were placed crushed nuts with honey, sesame, pepper,
and poppy seed.

Borek which in Turkish means a kind of pastry was known as Pourekia in Greek from the ancient Greek word Pourion which is a kind of cake.

The borek are paralled as early as the second century of the christian era and throughout the byzantine world by the plakoyntas entyritas which Artemidorus and the medieval lexigographers mention. Such dishes as the cheese myzythra (mizitra in turkish), cured meat paston (pasdirma in turkish) were known to the byzantines and the roasting of meat on the spit, was ancient in the Mediterranean area.

brennus dux gallorum
02-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Turkmen’s cuisine as described by Brockquiere was a very simple affair consisting primarily of the produce of their flocks.

Much of the later elaborate turkish cuisine was foreign to the Turkmen nomads and belonged to a sedentary cuisine already common to the eastern Mediterranean world since Roman times if not earlier.

A brief perusal of the pages of Athenaeus Deipnosophistae will confirm the assertion and therein the gastronomer will notice not only stuffed leaves but also the various sweets. There is great similiraty between turkish sweets and those enjoyed by the Byzantines.

The basic ingredients for these deserts were usually dough, sesame, wheat, nuts,mhoney, and various fruit. Thus the equivalent of the Turks borek, halva, baklavamand other delicacies are to be found in various byzantine and classical texts.

The byzantine pastilla seems to have covered a variety of sweets, usually mademwith boiled wheat and honey, or crushed nuts and honey, or sesame and honey,mor similar mixtures. Another byzantine favorite was the so-called kopthmor kopton (koptoplakoys) that was the same as the Turkish baklava. The delicacymwas known to Athenaeus who gives the recipe. It was, he says, made of leavesmof dough, between which were placed crushed nuts with honey, sesame, pepper,
and poppy seed.

Borek which in Turkish means a kind of pastry was known as Pourekia in Greek from the ancient Greek word Pourion which is a kind of cake.

The borek are paralled as early as the second century of the christian era and throughout the byzantine world by the plakoyntas entyritas which Artemidorus and the medieval lexigographers mention. Such dishes as the cheese myzythra (mizitra in turkish), cured meat paston (pasdirma in turkish) were known to the byzantines and the roasting of meat on the spit, was ancient in the Mediterranean area.

I would agree, but how do you explain the fact that half of these dishes were not common among Greeks proper until 1923, and the other half were not common even among anatolian Greeks in 70's (like gyros, guy from Smyrna has told me his ancestors were not aware of its existence)

How did turks adopt them from ancient and medieval Greeks, the same time that modern Greeks themselves had..forgotten them???

Tauromachos
02-26-2018, 09:45 PM
Why do i have to discuss in a thread about Greek vs French cuisine about Turkemens and their food:rolleyes:

Jesus

brennus dux gallorum
02-26-2018, 09:52 PM
Why do i have to discuss in a thread about Greek vs French cuisine about Turkemens and their food:rolleyes:

Jesus

Because people have a distorted perception of what is Greek cuisine and what's not, and I am sorry, but this is our mistake, not turkmens'

All.i know is that my grandparents had no idea about the spicy and fatty Asian cuisine of anatolia, and suddenly we learned this cuisine is "Greek"

Most of Greeks were not aware of gyros existence as late as 70's, and suddenly it's our national food
Yeah whatever

Mingle
02-26-2018, 09:54 PM

You do realize that word is of Persian origin? How is it any more Turkish than it is Persian?

wvwvw
02-26-2018, 09:58 PM

Moussaka can be found all over the Balkans. Although the word is Persian, moussakas is prepared different in various countries, often bearing no resemblance to each other.

Turkish/Persian moussakas:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8e/a3/3c/8ea33c04eaeb14d77cb2e6021397630b.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/InQlXSY9Iak/maxresdefault.jpg

Greek moussakas:

http://umbrialemosturismo.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/moussaka-f8-8262.jpg

In Greece, the dish is layered and typically served hot. In Turkey, it is sautéed and served in the style of a casserole, and consumed warm or at room temperature.

The Greek version is topped with a Béchamel ("white") sauce, and baked.

Turkish musakka is not layered.[4] Instead, it is prepared with sautéed eggplant, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, and minced meat. It is generally eaten with pilav and cacık. There are also variants with zucchini (kabak musakka), carrots (havuç musakka) and potatoes (patates musakka).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Musakka_ve_pilav.jpg/1920px-Musakka_ve_pilav.jpg
Musakka and pilav in Turkey

Mingle
02-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Anyway, this time I have to recognize that Turks are right to bully us, as it was some stupid arrogant Greek restauranteurs in Athens who introduced all this-till 70's unknown in Greek society-middle eastern food, and presented it as Greek to the tourists, and now we present this cuisine as Greek, a cuisine that no house was aware of until late 70's, and everyone has no idea what real Greek cuisine is like:

unfortunately yes, he is right, not because Greek cuisine does not exist, it definetely does, and has nothing in common with Turkish, but because all "Greek" dishes he knows are some Turkish dishes that Greeks didn't even know until 70s.

Greek users don't take my post wrong, but you live here after all, and know that your grandmas were not aware of "kebab" or "Gyros", and even "baklava" for most of the country ;)

most of Greek cuisine has much more in common with mediterranean cuisines than anything turkish

I will open tommorow a thread about all these facts, with links

How is one cuisine more Greek than another? One was just introduced a bit later. Whatever Greece's predominant cuisine is would be considered Greek cuisine regardless of the date that it was introduced.

Tauromachos
02-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Because people have a distorted perception of what is Greek cuisine and what's not, and I am sorry, but this is our mistake, not turkmens'

All.i know is that my grandparents had no idea about the spicy and fatty Asian cuisine of anatolia, and suddenly we learned this cuisine is Greek

No its not our mistake.

Also Greek cuisine is not oblidged to be entirely Western and not have Eastern influences.

Afterall Geece had contact with such cultures too via the Mediteranean.

As for Baklava i don't know who invented it or how it came to Greece or how it came to Turks

But if you take a look at ancient Cretan cuisine there are actually things similar to it
http://cookstory.gr/%CE%B3%CE%AC%CF%83%CF%84%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BD/

http://flashnews.gr/post/118785/paradosiako-gastrin-to-arxeo-glikisma-tis-kritis

Other than that Greeks have alot of other sweets i haven't seen in Turkish restaurants

Melomakarona,Galaktopita,Boukatsa,Moustaleuria,Pas teli to name a few

brennus dux gallorum
02-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Moussaka can be found all over the Balkans. Although the word is Persian, moussakas is prepared different in various countries, often bearing no resemblance to each other.

Turkish/Persian moussakas:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8e/a3/3c/8ea33c04eaeb14d77cb2e6021397630b.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/InQlXSY9Iak/maxresdefault.jpg

Greek moussakas:

http://umbrialemosturismo.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/moussaka-f8-8262.jpg

In Greece, the dish is layered and typically served hot. In Turkey, it is sautéed and served in the style of a casserole, and consumed warm or at room temperature.

The Greek version is topped with a Béchamel ("white") sauce, and baked.

Turkish musakka is not layered.[4] Instead, it is prepared with sautéed eggplant, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, and minced meat. It is generally eaten with pilav and cacık. There are also variants with zucchini (kabak musakka), carrots (havuç musakka) and potatoes (patates musakka).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Musakka_ve_pilav.jpg/1920px-Musakka_ve_pilav.jpg
Musakka and pilav in Turkey

With only problem that it was not known before tselementes introduce it here in 1930, if I am not mistaken, and Wikipedia has a well detailed article on that

Are you joking that your peloponnesian grandma in the village was aware either of this or of any other anatolian dish?

Cause all of my grandparents were not aware

wvwvw
02-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by gültekin View Post

Also known and Koftes, Kioftedes, Keftedes in Greek the name of these meat balls comes from the ancient greek words Koptos and Koptê meaning chopped small or pounded.

Kiyma which in Greek is spelled Kima and means mince is anotherbTurkish corruption of the ancient greek word Komma meaning “that which is cut off” or “piece”.

Tauromachos
02-26-2018, 10:08 PM
With only problem that it was not known before tselementes introduce it here in 1930, if I am not mistaken, and Wikipedia has a well detailed article on that

Are you joking that your peloponnesian grandma in the village was aware either of this or of any other anatolian dish?

Cause all of my grandparents were not aware

The problem is that the Moussaka by Tselementes is fairly different from this one"so called Persian moussaka"

And Tselementes was a Greek Chef,so it is modern Greek cuisine.

But the whole discussion is autistic.

These things have been discussed 1000 of times.

Also French and other cuisines have borrowed ideas form food of other cultures

I don't see a big deal with it.

And without Armenian and Greek Chefs in Istanbul and Smyrna Turks would have much less things to bragg about in their cuisine

so they should keep quite and chill after all this thread is not about them,they should make their own threads where they post these things.

But they can't resist because they are natural born narcissist attention whores.

And Greeks fault is not that they have Baklava or Moussaka but that they give these idiots the
attention they are seeking.

I wouldn't even answer one post of them here or try to discuss anything with them.
Let them think what they want.

Teucer
02-26-2018, 10:11 PM
French, simply because they put butter on everything and Cypriots usually overcook their food

brennus dux gallorum
02-26-2018, 10:14 PM
The problem is that the Moussaka by Tselementes is fairly different from this one"so called Persian moussaka"

And Tselementes was a Greek Chef,so it is modern Greek cuisine.

But the whole discussion is autistic.

These things have been discussed 1000 of times.

Also French and other cuisines have borrowed ideas form food of other cultures

I don't see a big deal with it.

And without Armenian and Greek Chefs in Istanbul and Smyrna Turks would have much less things to bragg about in their cuisine

so they should keep quite and chill after all this thread is not about them,they should make their own threads where they post these things.

But they can't resist because they are natural born narcissist attention whores.

Even if we accept that moussaka is Greek because the chef that introduced it here was Greek, I think it's time to promote a little more the majority of dishes that are either exclusively Greek, or those that we share with the rest of (mostly southern) Europe.

GiCa
02-26-2018, 10:26 PM
french

wvwvw
02-26-2018, 10:33 PM
Even if we accept that moussaka is Greek because the chef that introduced it here was Greek, I think it's time to promote a little more the majority of dishes that are either exclusively Greek, or those that we share with the rest of (mostly southern) Europe.

Although the word moussaka is persian, the dish has its roots in Greece and was common in Byzantine Empire.

wvwvw
02-27-2018, 02:52 AM

Greek cuisine has its own flavour, and differs from Turkish cuisine.

Besides baklava, mousakas, halvas, burek, dolmades, and similar other dishes are not something shared by Turks and Greeks alone. Baklava is also common in Croatia and in every balkan country. Some dishes like dolmades are common as far as Poland. And in the balkans turkish style kebab is common while Greek souvlaki is different. But because Greek cuisine is more known and many Greek restaurants are owned by non Greeks like Albnaians or Lebanese it is often wrongly compared to the turkish although it is quite different nor particularly more similar to the turkish than those of balkan countries are.

ovidiu
03-02-2018, 05:47 PM
I noticed every culture in the region has some kind of fried meatball type thing based on a Persian or Turkish word kofteh or kefteh? We have chiftea/chiftele.

Tauromachos
03-02-2018, 05:52 PM
french

Byzantine and Ancient Greco-Roman

Since its the mother of all French,Italian,Turkish,Greek cuisine

Arthur9
03-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Greek, mediteranean is my favorite diet..

Tauromachos
07-15-2018, 09:01 PM

You are a man who knows ;)

Larali
07-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Greek: healthier, fresher, and served by a non-asshole.

Teutone
07-15-2018, 09:07 PM
The only good French food I know is actually German and is called Flammkuchen