PDA

View Full Version : The Five Aggregates

arcticwolf
08-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Acording to current view of science we are animated matter, and that is all to us there is. Not so in Buddhism. Even though Buddhism does not have a concept of a soul, and won't entertain its existence, the sentient being is not just a matter according to Noble Buddha.

In addition to form/body, a being comprises of 4 non material mental parts, namely:
feelings,
perceptions,
volition,
and consciousness.
All other mental states are result of interaction between any combination of the essential 4.

Mental aggregates just like matter are impermanent, just like the body they dissolve at death, there is nothing permanent about any being.

Your thoughts.

Aviator
08-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Acoording to current view of science we are animated matter, and that is all to us there is. Not so in Buddhism. Even though Buddhism does not have a concept of a soul, and won't entertain its existence, the sentient being is not just a matter according to Noble Buddha.

In addition to form/body, a being comprises of 4 non material mental parts, namely:
feelings,
perceptions,
volition,
and consciousness.
All other mental states are result of interaction between any combination of the essential 4.

Mental aggregates just like matter are impermanent, just like the body they desolve at death, there is nothing permanent about any being.

Your thoughts.

What do you mean by "matter?" Because matter is permanent, it can be neither created nor destroyed.

arcticwolf
08-10-2014, 12:36 AM
What do you mean by "matter?" Because matter is permanent, it can be neither created nor destroyed.

Permanent. Since when? I slept through my science classes! :laugh:

What do you mean by saying matter is permanent? Are you saying it's immutable? Does not change form? Not sure what you mean.

Aviator
08-10-2014, 12:47 AM
Permanent. Since when? I slept through my science classes! :laugh:

What do you mean by saying matter is permanent? Are you saying it's immutable? Does not change form? Not sure what you mean.

Matter changes form, yes, but it can never be destroyed or created. Technically you could argue that matter can be destroyed by turning it into energy, like a bomb does, but it's still there in the end.

arcticwolf
08-10-2014, 12:54 AM
You did not read my post carefully did you? Dissolve, is not synonymous with destroyed without a trace. Impermanence does mean subject to change. I think the disconnect here is in interpretation.

Plus, you cannot treat science as the end of it all as it itself is changing constantly. It is as subject to the law of impermanence as everything else.