PDA

View Full Version : What is the cultural origin of this type of music?

Sikeliot
08-12-2014, 11:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1rDIx8S2HU&list=PL1B4BBCB314FDC4D0&index=11

Listen to this song or at least flip through it.

Whiny, quivering vocals, very slow with a flute type instrument and a constant, very slow beat.

I can't figure it out because it doesn't sound Greek, is not similar to other southern Italian music, and is unlike anything I've heard. It almost reminds me of some Israeli music.

Tacitus
08-13-2014, 12:16 AM
It's uniquely Sicilian, no more no less.

Sikeliot
08-13-2014, 12:18 AM
It's uniquely Sicilian, no more no less.

Ok, let me rephrase. Its closest equivalent is what?

Wadaad
08-13-2014, 12:21 AM

probably mainland italian...i could tell its distinctly Sicilian because it reminds me of certain soundtracks to Mafia movies

Sikeliot
08-13-2014, 12:23 AM
probably mainland italian...i could tell its distinctly Sicilian because it reminds me of certain soundtracks to Mafia movies

Mainland Italian music isn't like this either.

Tacitus
08-13-2014, 12:24 AM

Mainland southern Italian.

Sikeliot
08-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Mainland southern Italian.

Well obviously, but I mean where did this style of music come from? Is it of Byzantine origin? Is it Western European and inherently related to other forms of West European music? Is it a Middle Eastern remnant?

Scholarios
08-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Sounds a little like Arbereshe music I have heard. (some of the most beautiful music of Europe, btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFRSOJCzAA

As someone said, it's clearly "just" Sicilian. A combination of native, Arabic, Byzantine-Greek, Italo-Norman tastes and influences. Just a hunch going by its uniqueness. Put a bunch of stuff in a blender and you get something new. Sounds also a bit like stuff from Morricone or Theodorakis soundtracks

Sikeliot
08-13-2014, 12:29 AM
As someone said, it's clearly "just" Sicilian. A combination of native, Arabic, Byzantine-Greek, Italo-Norman tastes and influences. Just a hunch going by its uniqueness. Put a bunch of stuff in a blender and you get something new. Sounds also a bit like stuff from Morricone or Theodorakis soundtracks

There is no "native" Sicilian culture... everything came from somewhere else and just mixed together. If you mean pre-Greek, pre-Phoenician by native, those populations left no cultural impact.

Tacitus
08-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Well obviously, but I mean where did this style of music come from? Is it of Byzantine origin? Is it Western European and inherently related to other forms of West European music? Is it a Middle Eastern remnant?

Probably evolved from Medieval Sicily, which would've been a mix of Byzantine, Arab, and Norman culture.

Tacitus
08-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Sounds a little like Arbereshe music I have heard. (some of the most beautiful music of Europe, btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFRSOJCzAA

That song sounds more southern Italian than Albanian, besides the language of course.

Sikeliot
08-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Probably evolved from Medieval Sicily, which would've been a mix of Byzantine, Arab, and Norman culture.

I assumed so. But which one comes through in it most?

It may seem like I am asking for simple answers where they are impossible to give, so I apologize. I am just curious :p

Mark
08-13-2014, 01:04 AM
General S. Italian with subtle near east elements.