PDA

View Full Version : The Dormition of the Theotokos (The Virgin Mary)

Fear Fiain
08-16-2014, 06:34 AM
The Dormition of the Mother of God (Greek: Κοίμησις Θεοτόκου, Koímēsis Theotokou often anglicized as Kimisis, Slavonic: Успение Пресвятыя Богородицы, Uspenie Presvetia Bogoroditsi) is a Great Feast of the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches which commemorates the "falling asleep" or death of Mary, the mother of Jesus (literally translated as God-bearer), and her bodily resurrection before being taken up into heaven. It is celebrated on August 15 (August 28, N.S. for those following the Julian Calendar) as the Feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God. The Armenian Apostolic Church celebrates the Dormition not on a fixed date, but on the Sunday nearest August 15.

The Feast of the Dormition is preceded by a two-week fast, referred to as the Dormition Fast. From August 1 to August 14 (inclusive) Orthodox and Eastern Catholics fast from red meat, poultry, meat products, dairy products (eggs and milk products), fish, oil, and wine. The Dormition Fast is a stricter fast than either the Nativity Fast (Advent) or the Apostles' Fast, with only wine and oil (but no fish) allowed on weekends. As with the other Fasts of the Church year, there is a Great Feast that falls during the Fast; in this case, the Transfiguration (August 6), on which fish, wine and oil are allowed.
In some places, the services on weekdays during the Fast are similar to the services during Great Lent (with some variations). Many churches and monasteries in the Russian tradition perform the lenten services on at least the first day of the Dormition Fast. In the Greek tradition, during the Fast either the Great Paraklesis (Supplicatory Canon) or the Small Paraklesis is celebrated every evening except Saturday evening and the Eves of the Transfiguration and the Dormition.[1]
The first day of the Dormition Fast is a feast day called the Procession of the Cross (August 1), on which day it is customary to have an outdoor procession and perform the Lesser Blessing of Water.
Significance of the feast[edit]
In Orthodoxy and Catholicism, in the language of the scripture, death is often called a "sleeping" or "falling asleep" (Greek κοίμησις; whence κοιμητήριον > coemetērium > cemetery, "a place of sleeping"). A prominent example of this is the name of this feast; another is the Dormition of Anna, Mary's mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI48nUT18IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuAbWQ2qM0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGNXDVKKRJs

Mortimer
08-16-2014, 06:40 AM
if you are such a religious christian how can you say so bad things about others and attack them (for example christina) or hateful etc. didnt jesus preached "love thy neighbour" and even "love thy enemy" also you should sell your house and car etc. and give money to the poor and dont think about earthly things, but pray etc. thats how i picture a "good" christian

Fear Fiain
08-16-2014, 06:45 AM
if you are such a religious christian how can you say so bad things about others and attack them (for example christina) or hateful etc. didnt jesus preached "love thy neighbour" and even "love thy enemy" also you should sell your house and car etc. and give money to the poor and dont think about earthly things, but pray etc. thats how i picture a "good" christian

I am in the church so often because I know that I am the first among sinners and that I have a lot of work to do.
Regardless, I think it is good to talk about different customs on an anthropology forum.
Don't you?
There is more to anthropology than just skull measurements.
Also, if I were you I would not discourage my further christianization, as it is the only thing which makes me more tolerant of other peoples.
For example, I used to distrust slavics and arabics but I am coming to appreciate the beauty of their cultures, and even greet an ethopian brother with kisses on the cheek when I see him.
I used to like, passionately hate jews, but now I just pray for their conversion away from talmudic anti-christ heresy and back to the true faith held by their fathers once upon a time, as I have seen many sincere converts from orthodox and conservative judaism to orthodox christianity do beautiful works.

Mortimer
08-16-2014, 06:47 AM
I am in the church so often because I know that I am the first among sinners and that I have a lot of work to do.
Regardless, I think it is good to talk about different customs on an anthropology forum.
Don't you?
There is more to anthropology than just skull measurements.
Also, if I were you I would not discourage my further christianization, as it is the only thing which makes me more tolerant of other peoples.
For example, I used to distrust slavics and arabics but I am coming to appreciate the beauty of their cultures, and even greet an ethopian brother with kisses on the cheek when I see him.
I used to like, passionately hate jews, but now I just pray for their conversion away from talmudic anti-christ heresy and back to the true faith held by their fathers once upon a time, as I have seen many sincere converts from orthodox and conservative judaism to orthodox christianity do beautiful works.

i dont discourage your christianisation and if you realise that you are a sinner and think it is wrong, and want to work on it it is positive. but i doubt that, i think you are ok with being hateful and you dont want to change etc. but i maybe wrong, then i apologise.

Fear Fiain
08-16-2014, 06:49 AM
i dont discourage your christianisation and if you realise that you are a sinner and think it is wrong, and want to work on it it is positive. but i doubt that, i think you are ok with being hateful and you dont want to change etc. but i maybe wrong, then i apologise.

I appreciate the criticism. I do not want to be hateful of anyone. I DO want to preserve my race as a subnordid / north euro and my culture as a Gael.
But I want to be a leader like Ghandi who is revered even by the former enemies of his people, not one like Hitler who is viewed as tyrannical and hateful even by his own people.
I want to be the Aryan Martin Luther King.

Fear Fiain
08-16-2014, 06:52 AM
back on topic ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
Chere Nymphi Anymphephte!
Rejoice oh bride unwedded!

Fear Fiain
08-16-2014, 06:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ggTa1olMQc

O Virgin Theotokos, rejoice
Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Thou [art] blessed among women,
and blessed [is] the fruit of thy womb,
for thou hast given birth to the savior of our souls.

Bogorodice Djevo,
radujsja, blagodatnaja Marije,
Gospod s Toboju!
Blagoslovena ti v ženah,
i blagosloven plod čreva tvojego.
jako Spasa rodila jesi duš naših.

Bogorodice Djevo,
raduj se, blagodatna Marijo,
Gospod je s tobom;
blagoslovena si ti među ženama,[Luka 1,28]
i blagosloven je plod utrobe tvoje,
jer si rodila Spasitelja duša naših [Luka 1,42]