PDA

View Full Version : Protecting fair skin with China's 'face-kini'

Loki
08-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Protecting fair skin with China's 'face-kini' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-28803400)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/76958000/jpg/_76958645_453287663.jpg

Perhaps drawing inspiration from Spiderman, beachgoers in China's eastern city of Qingdao have come up with a novel way of protecting their skin from the sun.

They call it the "face-kini". It was first sported by middle-aged women as a practical addition to their swimsuits, but now the face-kini has gone global.

New York-based style magazine CR Fashion Book, founded by former Vogue Paris editor Carine Roitfeld, recently published a photo shoot of models with pouting red lips, wearing face-kinis, chic swimsuits and fancy jewellery.

The transformation of what's considered the epitome of "old woman style" in China to high fashion has amused Internet users.

In two days, the subject sparked almost 12 million posts on the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, Weibo.

"Chinese old women are at the centre of the global fashion world," said one comment. "It looks like bank robbers are raiding the beach," others joked.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/76958000/jpg/_76958646_455855509.jpg

When it comes to avoiding the sun, it seems Chinese creativity is unlimited.

Apart from the face-kini, the Chinese use special UV-blocking sun umbrellas which can be attached to bike handles.

There are also sun-blocking removable sleeves and Batman-style capes. The list goes on.

On Chinese television, commercials for magic whitening creams abound. White is seen as beautiful here, or as the old Chinese saying goes: "One touch of white disguises 100 kinds of ugliness."

One Weibo user explained that being white was a sign of prosperity.

"Since ancient times, a classic beauty in the eyes of the Chinese has white skin," he said. "Girls raised in wealthy families could afford to stay indoors and away from hard labour, and their rosy white skin was a sign of their good fortune."

It's a curious contrast to the fact that people in many Western countries pay for tanning.

Tanning salons are just now starting to take off in big Chinese cities, where Western influences are more pervasive.

Liu Yupu, or "China tanning boss" as he goes by on Weibo, took the sudden popularity of face-kinis with a pinch of salt.

He said: "These days, if you had just been to a tanning salon in China, your parents and close friends may call you an idiot, but you'll also get plenty of compliments."

But can a beautifully-tanned woman turn as many heads as the face-kini on the Qingdao beach?

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
omg! wtf smh, we need smart proud asians like zhao to fix this problem. Chinese ashamed of their ownselves, this is a first. Well maybe next to shaozou

not to mention the main reason to go to the beach is for the water or tanning

zhaoyun
08-19-2014, 03:08 AM
omg! wtf smh, we need smart proud asians like zhao to fix this problem. Chinese ashamed of their ownselves, this is a first. Well maybe next to shaozou

not to mention the main reason to go to the beach is for the water or tanning

The article got it wrong. These are mothafuckin water ninjas.

Ramos
08-19-2014, 03:10 AM
Lol wow

FeederOfRavens
08-19-2014, 03:13 AM
If fair skin is so much better why does it need protecting?

Merida
08-19-2014, 03:17 AM
If fair skin is so much better why does it need protecting?

I'm fair skinned and I live in South America. If I don't apply sunscreen it gets pretty nasty. I have to be very careful of the sun.

Not a fan of those masks though.

FeederOfRavens
08-19-2014, 03:22 AM
I'm fair skinned and I live in South America. If I don't apply sunscreen it gets pretty nasty. I have to be very careful of the sun.

Not a fan of those masks though.

That's sounds pretty bad. I tan we'll enough that I never need sunscreen. I guess it's because I grew up in Australia.

Prisoner Of Ice
08-19-2014, 03:23 AM
I prefer the Conan O Brien - beekeeper suit. And little lord fauntleroys for swimming.

Merida
08-19-2014, 03:28 AM
That's sounds pretty bad. I tan we'll enough that I never need sunscreen. I guess it's because I grew up in Australia.

yes, it's really annoying actually. I wish i didn't burn as easily. Although Australia is more or less on the same paralell, geographically, as Buenos Aires. You're lucky!

Kale
08-19-2014, 03:53 AM
Judging by the girth of their torsos, I say the masks are probably a nice addition.

Immortal Technique
08-19-2014, 03:54 AM
ahahaha this looks like back in 50s