PDA

View Full Version : How bad for your health is carbo loading?

armenianbodyhair
08-26-2014, 09:22 PM
I've been told its good to do before races and other sporting events but it just turns to sugar in your body and its really bad for your digestive tract. So I was wondering, how often is it okay to do this and does anyone know any better way of preparing for races and other athletic endeavors?

Thanksss

Mark
08-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Depends on the individual and their goals. Carb loading is often overrated because after the limited store of glycogen is depleted, one can often hit the wall or 'bonk'. If someone is fat-adapted, meaning that they can tap into the almost limitless supply of body fat, they will preferentially use that as fuel over carbs. Carbs are good for quick-burst energy needs like sprinting and also weight-training. But their is no necessity for carbs at all as they are not essential like EFA's and proteins are. It's the least important of the 3 macro-nutrients.

armenianbodyhair
08-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Depends on the individual and their goals. Carb loading is often overrated because after the limited store of glycogen is depleted, one can often hit the wall or 'bonk'. If someone is fat-adapted, meaning that they can tap into the almost limitless supply of body fat, they will preferentially use that as fuel over carbs. Carbs are good for quick-burst energy needs like sprinting and also weight-training. But their is no necessity for carbs at all as they are not essential like EFA's and proteins are. It's least important of the macro-nutrients.

I am definitely not fat adapted. So what would you suggest to prepare for something like a rock climbing competition?

Astronaut
08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
---------------

Mark
08-26-2014, 09:38 PM
I am definitely not fat adapted. So what would you suggest to prepare for something like a rock climbing competition?

In your case because you are on the leaner side, you have more leeway with carbs in general. I would suggest grape juice and a banana prior to the competition. It's also good for you to look into MCT's (medium-chain triglycerides) which are fats that are rapidly converted to energy in a similar way to carbs but also are protein (muscle) sparing. Aprox 66% of Extra virgin Coconut oil are made up of MCT's but can also be purchased in concentrated for as a supplement in most health type stores or online.

armenianbodyhair
08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
In your case because you are on the leaner side, you have more leeway with carbs in general. I would suggest grape juice and a banana prior to the competition. It's also good for you to look into MCT's (medium-chain triglycerides) which are fats that are rapidly converted to energy in a similar way to carbs but also are protein (muscle) sparing. Aprox 66% of Extra virgin Coconut oil are made up of MCT's but can also be purchased in concentrated for as a supplement in most health type stores or online.

Thanks I will try that, Coconut is not my favorite so the supplements sound like a good plan. Neither is grape juice actually but I think I can suck it up for that.

Mark
08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks I will try that, Coconut is not my favorite so the supplements sound like a good plan. Neither is grape juice actually but I think I can suck it up for that.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head; their are a slew of core supplements that you should consider if you are seriously training. You can contact me for more details if you wish.