PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About 2012 Doomsday Hype.

Cato
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Fun, brief article. Was thinking about the 12/21/2012 crap when I overheard some people at work talking about it yesterday. My interjection that it was all hokum fell on deaf ears, then I felt smug because I know how doomsday prophecies usually end. :rolleyes:

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/091105-2021-doomsday.html

Baron Samedi
03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
*sigh*

I really hope it does happen just so the swine will stfu.

Cato
03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Hulk Hogan legdrops some poor slob in his retirement match on 12/21/2012 and all of the faultlines on earth collapse at the same time.

http://moshiko654wwe.goop.co.il/GoopSitesFiles/6294/User/Upload/HULK%20HOGAN-LEG%20DROP.jpg

Beorn
03-07-2010, 07:22 PM
No wonder you members of the Americas think it will all end; just look how many months you have in a year!! :eek: 12/21/2012 :eek: ;)

Grumpy Cat
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM
No wonder you members of the Americas think it will all end; just look how many months you have in a year!! :eek: 12/21/2012 :eek: ;)

LOL. But Americans do it backwards.

Anyways, I highly doubt the world will end in 2012. It's just that the Mayans who made that calendar ran out of space. Plus, if you look at Mayan (and really most Amerindian lore), they look at time as cyclical rather than linear, similar to pre-Christian Europeans.

Cato
03-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Different style of dating, don't nitpick. :P

Grumpy Cat
03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Different style of dating, don't nitpick. :P

It's all wrong! Just like the way you spell "Colour".

Cato
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Bollocks!

Grumpy Cat
03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh yeah, and calling soft drinks "soda". WTF is that?

Soda is what you mix drinks with. Pop is what you get in a value meal.

Cato
03-07-2010, 07:46 PM
:grumpy:

Stefan
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
It's all wrong! Just like the way you spell "Colour".

I agree with the date thing, but "Color" just makes more sense when based upon North American spoken dialects.

Anyway from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences#-our.2C_-or)

-our, -or
Most words ending in an unstressed -our in the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Australia and most English-speaking countries(e.g., colour, flavour, honour, neighbour, rumour, labour) end in -or in the United States (e.g., color, flavor, honor, neighbor, rumor, labor). Wherever the vowel is unreduced in pronunciation, this does not occur: contour, velour, paramour, troubadour, are spelled thus the same everywhere. Most words of this category derive from Latin non-agent nouns having nominative -or; the first such borrowings into English were from early Old French and the ending was -or or -ur.[24] After the Norman Conquest, the termination became -our in Anglo-French in an attempt to represent the Old French pronunciation of words ending in -or[25], though color has been used occasionally in English since the fifteenth century.[26] The -our ending was not only retained in English borrowings from Anglo-French, but also applied to earlier French borrowings.[24] After the Renaissance, some such borrowings from Latin were taken up with their original -or termination; many words once ending in -our (for example, chancellour and governour) now end in -or everywhere. Many words of the -our/-or group do not have a Latin counterpart; for example, armo(u)r, behavio(u)r, harbo(u)r, neighbo(u)r; also arbo(u)r meaning "shelter", though senses "tree" and "tool" are always arbor, a false cognate of the other word. Some 16th and early 17th century British scholars indeed insisted that -or be used for words of Latin origin (e.g. color[26]) and -our for French loans; but in many cases the etymology was not completely clear, and therefore some scholars advocated -or only and others -our only.[27]
Webster's 1828 dictionary featured only -or and is generally given much of the credit for the adoption of this form in the United States. By contrast, Dr Johnson's 1755 dictionary used the -our spelling for all words still so spelled in Britain, as well as for emperour, errour, governour, horrour, tenour, terrour, and tremour, where the u has since been dropped. Johnson, unlike Webster, was not an advocate of spelling reform, but selected the version best-derived, as he saw it, from among the variations in his sources: he favoured French over Latin spellings because, as he put it, "the French generally supplied us".[28] Those English speakers who began to move across the Atlantic would have taken these habits with them and H L Mencken makes the point that, "honor appears in the Declaration of Independence, but it seems to have got there rather by accident than by design. In Jefferson’s original draft it is spelled honour."[29] Examples such as color, flavor, behavior, harbor, or neighbor scarcely appear in the Old Bailey's court records from the 17th and 18th century, whereas examples of their -our counterparts are numbered in thousands.[30] One notable exception is honor: honor and honour were equally frequent down to the 17th century[31], Honor still is, in the UK, the normal spelling as a person's name.
Derivatives and inflected forms. In derivatives and inflected forms of the -our/or words, in British usage the u is kept before English suffixes that are freely attachable to English words (neighbourhood, humourless, savoury) and suffixes of Greek or Latin origin that have been naturalised (favourite, honourable, behaviourism); before Latin suffixes that are not freely attachable to English words, the u may be dropped (honorific, honorist, vigorous, humorous, laborious, invigorate), may be either dropped or retained (colo(u)ration, colo(u)rise), or may be retained (colourist).[24] In American usage, derivatives and inflected forms are built by simply adding the suffix in all environments (favorite, savory, etc.) since the u is absent to begin with.
Exceptions. American usage in most cases retains the u in the word glamour, which comes from Scots, not Latin or French. "Glamor" is occasionally used in imitation of the spelling reform of other -our words to -or. The adjective "glamorous" omits the first "u". Saviour is a somewhat common variant of savior in the United States. The British spelling is very common for "honour" (and "favour") in the stilted language of wedding invitations in the United States.[32] The name of the Space Shuttle Endeavour has a u in it since this spacecraft was named after Captain James Cook's ship, the HMS Endeavour.
The name of the herb savory is thus spelled everywhere, although the probably related adjective savo(u)ry, like savour, has a u in the UK. Honor (the name) and arbor (the tool) have -or in Britain, as mentioned above. As a general noun, rigour (/ˈrɪɡər/) has a u in the UK; the medical term rigor (often pronounced /ˈraɪɡɔr/) does not. Words with the ending -irior, -erior or similar are spelled thus everywhere and have never had a "u", for example inferior or exterior.
Commonwealth usage. Commonwealth countries normally follow British usage. In Canada -or endings are not uncommon, particularly in the Prairie Provinces, though they are rarer in Eastern Canada.[27] In Australia, -or terminations enjoyed some use in the 19th century, and now are sporadically found in some regions[27], usually in local and regional newspapers, though -our is almost universal. New Zealand English, while sharing some words and syntax with Australian English, follows British usage.

jerney
03-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah, and calling soft drinks "soda". WTF is that?

Soda is what you mix drinks with. Pop is what you get in a value meal.

I'd say this map is mostly correct, but I live in Seattle and I'd say "soda" applies to all of the PNW, not just California..

http://www.evl.uic.edu/aej/422/GIFs/total-county.gif

Grumpy Cat
03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd say this map is mostly correct, but I live in Seattle and I'd say "soda" applies to all of the PNW, not just California..

http://www.evl.uic.edu/aej/422/GIFs/total-county.gif

"Pop" is proper English.

The only thing that's weirder than calling it "soda" is when they call everything "Coke"... and then they'll offer you a Coke, and when you say "yes", they hand you a Root Beer.

Then you're like "WTF? I wanted a Coke!"

jerney
03-07-2010, 09:03 PM
"Pop" is proper English.

The only thing that's weirder than calling it "soda" is when they call everything "Coke"... and then they'll offer you a Coke, and when you say "yes", they hand you a Root Beer.

What is "proper"?

Stefan
03-07-2010, 10:45 PM
"Coke"... and then they'll offer you a Coke, and when you say "yes", they hand you a Root Beer.

Then you're like "WTF? I wanted a Coke!"

I think they say "cola" or "coca-cola" when they ask you that. I've never met such a person though so I don't know... For reference, we say Soda here. :p

Cato
03-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Back to topic or you all get bashed with my mighty ale tankard! :P

Murphy
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Can you not just call it "ginger" like normal people?

Cato
03-07-2010, 11:35 PM
*BONK*

Eldritch
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
"Sigh"

How many times must the world not end before these people learn?

Cato
03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
"Sigh"

How many times must the world not end before these people learn?

As many times as it takes?