PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Finland and the Finns?

The Ripper
03-08-2010, 08:44 AM
It is a an old, classic stereotype about Finns that we are very curious about what others (foreigners) think about us, our country, Kalevala, our hockey team, salmiakki & mämmi, our relationship with Conan O'Brien, you name it..

So why not inject some life into the Finnish sub-forum by letting the foreign devils tell us what they think? This should draw lurker-Finns out of the wood work as they'll be wanting to correct your misperceptions. :D

Rainraven
03-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I've only met one Finn, he was nice, though rather hairy and very angry.

Svarog
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
No real opinion as I've never been there or encountered any Finns (beside seeing them on vacation, never talked to any) but from what i gathered from other people is:

Highly educated drunkards and weird in a very positive way.

Murphy
03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Chinks who kicked Soviet arse :).

The Ripper
03-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Angry and intoxicated highly educated anti-communist chink weirdoes. In a good way. :D

Oh AND hairy!

Monolith
03-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Ok, here are some stereotypes:

You're all blonde
You like to drink
You have a good hockey team
You also speak Swedish
You're a calm folk
You live near Santa Claus
You're depressive in winter
You don't like Russians
sauna
snow
Nightwish
Have I mentioned snow?

;)

Amapola
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
All my opinions are forums-based, however I previously had done my own search about a Finnish surname ( that matchs up with one of my family surnames word-after-word!) to rule out the connection possibilty.

W. R.
03-08-2010, 12:29 PM
The Finns are nice enough to learn the language of the small Swedish speaking minority. They like alcohol so much that they don't feel lazy to cross the gulf between Finland and Estonia to get it for lower prices (what is the name of that gulf?). "Njet, Molotoff!". Agglutinative language with loooong words (but it sounds quite beautiful). The lynx in the coat of arms (isn't it a lynx?). Nokia is a Finnish company. Is vodka "Finlandia" really from Finland? Mannerheim is regarded as the greatest Finn ever. Heavy Metal. Kalevala. I may have read some fragments of it at school, but I don't remember much. The Finnish word for "chimney sweeper" can be found in The Guinness Book of Records.

Absinthe
03-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I am a salmiakki addict (TM) and I drink like a sailor. Which means I share strong cultural (if not metaphysical) ties with the Finns. Klaus Juutilainen on elaimin sekaantuva hermafrodiitti, ei muuta...perkele!! :D

Poltergeist
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
The Mongolians of Europe.

Absinthe
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Teh Mongolians of Europe.

fixed ;)

Imperivm
03-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Introverted, softly spoken, sad, very slow and a strange but good sense of humour.

Nordish Persephone
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
The Mongolians of Europe.

Are all Finns mongolian? In all seriousness? :confused:

W. R.
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Are all Finns mongolian? In all seriousness? :confused:What seriousness are you talking about? It is called just "trolling". :tongue_002:

Fortis in Arduis
03-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Finns, in my experience, have been quiet observers, fair, decent and precise. They are not at all pushy.

I have taken sauna with Finns in a Finnish sauna in London, and that was pleasant.

I met a few Finns at university and they were always very personable.

I had a few Finnish guests stay with me, and they appreciated British culture, and architecture. They displayed positive ethnic awareness.

No complaints. Ok, so they sometimes look a little bit Mongoloid to the British eye, but that is just how they look.

My best friend and first love was half-Finnish, and her Finnish mother was just an absolute star.

I am waiting to meet the Finn that I do not like...

The Khagan
03-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Simo Häyhä and Rotten Sound, nuff said.

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 10:32 AM

Yes, according to recent Swedish research published in 1855.

Don
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't consider them Westerners. Compared to other europeans, of course.

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't consider them Westerners. Compared to other europeans, of course.

Why? They are your kin. Mongolians and Amerindians are cousins.

Don
03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Why? They are your kin. Mongolians and Amerindians are cousins.

The desperate need for calling atention of this poor guy is much superior than his basic culture.

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
The desperate need for calling atention of this poor guy is much superior than his basic culture.

Come on, Amerindio Viejo, don't be so angry. So what if you are an indio? Indios are human beings too.

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM

MongLoL:D

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Come on, Amerindio Viejo, don't be so angry. So what if you are an indio? Indios are human beings too.

Wrong thread, amigos.

MOVE AWAY FROM THE THREAD WITH YOUR HANDS RAISED FROM THE KEYBOARD.
:icon_yell:

Kthxbye. :D

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Wrong thread, amigos.

MOVE AWAY FROM THE THREAD WITH YOUR ARMS RAISED FROM THE KEYBOARD.
:icon_yell:

Kthxbye. :D

Want to use violence? Showing your Mongolian nature again?

http://shotfromthehip.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/genghis_khan.jpg

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9cHkMILP4_A/Su8p3GFJJOI/AAAAAAAABHc/yywQlkVuUD4/s800/fdccax.jpg

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Have those findings been disproved since the publication of that study?

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Have those findings been disproved since the publication of that study?

Do you mean whether it has been proven that Finns aren't actually Mongols? Despite all our best efforts, it seems impossible. :D

Why doesn't anyone argue that the Mongols are actually Finns? :D

Loki
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't consider them Westerners.

The only people who use the term "Westerners" with any amount of seriousness these days are the Chinese -- referring to white people.

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Do you mean whether it has been proven that Finns aren't actually Mongols? Despite all our best efforts, it seems impossible. :D

It hasn't been proven that Finns are not Mongols, yes. That's what I was saying and you confirmed that.

Why doesn't anyone argue that the Mongols are actually Finns? :D

Maybe some Finn should? That would mean Finns once conquered a large portion of the then known world.

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 03:18 PM
It hasn't been proven that Finns are not Mongols, yes. That's what I was saying and you confirmed that.

Yes, it is impossible to convince some people. ;)

Maybe some Finn should? That would mean Finns once conquered a large portion of the then known world.

I'm going to get to it immediatly!

I might also write about the Hunnic leader Anttila, who founded the famous Finnish shopping chain.

http://www.itakeskuskauppakeskus.fi/uploads/stores/anttila.jpg

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
My paternal grandmother descend from Forest Finns:cool:

In the 17th century thousands of Finns migrated to south east Norway, today it's estimated that their descendents number over hundred thousand, their descendants are fully integrated and indistinguishable from other Norwegians.

Today the Forest Finns are fully assimilated into the Norwegian and Swedish societies and their language extinct, but their culture lives on in both countries and a number of place names commemorates the Finnish origin. They are defined as a national minority in Norway, and it is estimated that a couple of hundred thousand Norwegians are descendants of the original Forest Finns.
Forest Finns are a distinct group from Kven people, who live in the Northern Norwegian counties of Troms and Finnmark, although they both originate from Finland.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Jarnefelt_Eero_Kaski_1893.JPG/784px-Jarnefelt_Eero_Kaski_1893.JPG

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 03:35 PM
That is one of my favourite paintings (by Eero Järnefelt) from the national romantic era. In full colour:
http://www.karttakaaro.fi/images/pelto2.jpg

Liffrea
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Never met any personally, other than an interest in the Kalevala and the music of Nightwish, I’ve never given the Finns a great deal of thought…..

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Never met any personally, other than an interest in the Kalevala and the music of Nightwish, I’ve never given the Finns a great deal of thought…..

This negligent attitude towards Finns is scandalous. A force-feeding of mämmi and an intensive sauna bath are in order.

poiuytrewq0987
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Chinks who kicked Soviet arse :).

They didn't kick the Soviets' arse per se... they still lost some territory like Karelia post-winter war.

Finns? What do I think about them? They have a lot of hot girls? ;) Finnish babes need to come over where I live. :D :P

Also what do the Finns eat? :confused:

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Also what do the Finns eat? :confused:

Russians.

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4om1rQKPijI

Svarog
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
1st of all, when it comes to music, !!Nightwish is far from the best made in Finland!!

2nd of all, stop trolling with Mongolian crap and stick on the topic, I'll leak the info that the patience is running out.

Btw, since I am only half Russian, do Finns only half hate me? =O

poiuytrewq0987
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.missuniverse.com/members/profile/41726

Yes please.

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
1st of all, when it comes to music, !!Nightwish is far from the best made in Finland!!

2nd of all, stop trolling with Mongolian crap and stick on the topic, I'll leak the info that the patience is running out.

I don't actually think that that many Finns hate Russians, with the exception of the older generations. The younger generations inherit a distrust of Russians for sure, but its not as intensive. I am personally quite taken with Russian culture. I'm considering conversion to Orthodoxy [although this has more to do with the state of the Finnish Lutheran church and my own understanding of spirituality / religiosity, than with Russia] and I like Russian literature, both new and the classics.

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 04:22 PM

Don't provoke the mighty A(n)ttila!

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 04:22 PM

Nah the best is Hanoi Rocks and Leningrad Cowboys.

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Nah the best is Hanoi Rocks and Leningrad Cowboys.

One more proof that Finns are drawn towards eastern Asia, where they come from.

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
One more proof that Finns are drawn towards eastern Asia, where they come from.

Yeah Michael Monroe comes straight out of Asia...:D
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6159/mikexq.jpg

Eldritch
03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
The only people who use the term "Westerners" with any amount of seriousness these days are the Chinese -- referring to white people.

Indeed. It's the 21st Century -- the whole East/West dichotomy is meaningless.

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 08:43 PM
The further east you go, the clumsier the americanization of local life becomes.

Its not a dichotomy, it is a continuum. :D

Bard
03-09-2010, 08:55 PM
My first thoughts go to your music, so finntroll, korpiklaani, turisas.
By the way I see finns less spoiled by american culture and capitalism than people of norway and sweden. Am I right?

Monolith
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Why is that? I, for one, differentiate between my folk and 'Westerners', when it comes to European populations that is.

Eldritch
03-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Why is that? I, for one, differentiate between my folk and 'Westerners', when it comes to European populations that is.

Very well, but just to make sure I got you, can you explain who do you mean exactly by "my folk"? Fellow Slavs? Croatians, etc?

What I meant is that the assertion that someone is "not a Westerner" doesn't mean anything anymore -- or perhaps it would be more accurate to say it can mean just about anything.

[For the record: most historians would consider Finland to be a part of "Western" Europe (whatever that means) since the Treaty of Nöteborg in 1323]

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Very well, but just to make sure I got you, can you explain who do you mean exactly by "my folk"? Fellow Slavs? Croatians, etc?

What I meant is that the assertion that someone is "not a Westerner" doesn't mean anything anymore -- or perhaps it would be more accurate to say it can mean just about anything.

[For the record: most historians would consider Finland to be a part of "Western" Europe (whatever that means) since the Treaty of Nöteborg in 1323]

In Europe the history of "East" and "West" is ultimately derived from the Roman Empire and later continued in Eastern and Western Christianity.

Pallantides
03-09-2010, 09:31 PM
My first thoughts go to your music, so finntroll, korpiklaani, turisas.
By the way I see finns less spoiled by american culture and capitalism than people of norway and sweden. Am I right?

I doubt it, folk traditions in Norway are much stronger than any of the other Nordic countries espically in the more isolated rural areas, but like everywere else in Europe, British and American culture have left their mark both positive and negative...

Both Sweden and Finland had a Glam and Punk Rock scene while Norwegians were still playing violins and wore silly wool sweaters. :p

Monolith
03-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I meant to say Croats.

Indeed, the term has become somewhat vague. From my experience, people in my country usually use it to denote wealthy and powerful nations west of here, like Germany, France, UK and U.S.

Loki
03-09-2010, 09:45 PM
I like Finns, they are interesting people. Strike me as very honest and trustworthy. Upright. Some years ago I met a couple from a previous forum. They came to visit me from Finland, and even brought some gifts for me. Thoughtful, it was a positive experience.

Comte Arnau
03-09-2010, 09:55 PM
First contact I can think of, a textbook with a map of Europe: Finland in green, a dot upon Helsinki and a picture of a lake beside it.

The second contact as a kid, this time about the Finnish Lappland, was through this stupid cartoon in Spanish, the opening lines of which caused a trauma in me:
In Lappland, it's cold, but I laugh at it. My grandpa, Joulupukki, is a friend of mine... :rolleyes:

Cyo_nSIRDPA
At least I found out that Santa lived somewhere up there.

Then as a teen, I read Cartas Finlandesas (Finnish Letters, Suomalaiskirjeitä), a book written in 1898 by an Andalusian in Finland, talking about his impressions of the country and the impression of 19th-century Finnish women about Spain. I had that image of Finland in my mind for several years.

Since then on, well, Eurovision, the Internet and a crazy Finn I met in Stockholm. So I don't really know if I should conclude a personal impression about Finns out of all this. :D

Óttar
03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
They sure can put down a bottle of the hard stuff. They are the most depressed nation in the world, and Korpiklaani rocks. :thumbs up

Germanicus
03-09-2010, 10:02 PM
I once sat next to a Finn in a bar on the island of Barbados, he was down to earth and fun, he was in the record recording business and did not name drop famous people he had recorded in LA like others would have..:)

Beorn
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I haven't met more than one Finn in my lifetime, (that I can remember) and I know this is going to sound crude to some, but the only one I did meet was a student at Portsmouth University who worked part-time at the Fleece and Firkin. It was often pondered by many men whether her breasts were as perky without a bra.
Many years later, sitting in a cold and damp Guernsey pub, I met an Irish-Portsmouth man who could verify they did.

That is the pinnacle of my interaction with Finns and Finland beyond the foras I frequent. By the image projected by the various Finns I would say they are very polite, calm spirited individuals with an abundance of fun and intelligence.

Don
03-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Mhh I don't share this opinion at all. All the considerations about this question of the ancient civilizations, supported by the recent genetic researches and the recovering traditionalism of ancient origins of the menaced europe is marking an intense dichotomy East-West.
I think you are confusing with the North-South one, meaningless for us.

Notice the obvious question that eurasia is not américa. We have acquired many senseless american mentalities, senseless for us, as north-south, anglo-latino, protestant-catholic... the construct "white", from people who aren't really the chosen ones to show history or culture to us, the old europeans.

América is North-South oriented.

Eurasia is East-West oriented, being located, the "end of the world" of the civilizations of Eurasia in the western coasts of Europe, like Finisterre in Galicia. The Atlantic.
We must understand the dramatic importance of this question.

Anyway, as old Iberian I have no reason that impedes me to respect and admire Finntroll. They touch shared ancient common culture and origins! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGywo81G6lk&feature=fvst

Druantia
03-09-2010, 11:09 PM
I love the Finns, they gave the world the moomin's, my childhood was shaped by the wise words of snufkin:D

Anthropos
03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I love the Finns, they gave the world the moomin's, my childhood was shaped by the wise words of snufkin:D

She was a Finn, yes, Finlandssvensk to be more specific (Swedish heritage).

Beorn
03-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Damn!, yes, I forgot about the Moomins. I couldn't stand watching the cartoon series as a child as it made me depressed and made me "feel funny".

Skandi
03-10-2010, 01:07 AM
I live with a Fin have done for three years, although not the same Fin! Hate the moomins like thee music, can't say I have any steriotypes as every Finn I've met has been different!

Eldritch
03-10-2010, 06:16 AM

You're not the only one, the Japanese love the Moomins. You often get groups of Japanese tourists asking at the tourist info whether there are real live Moomins at the Helsinki Zoo. :D

Pallantides
03-10-2010, 07:47 AM
You're not the only one, the Japanese love the Moomins. You often get groups of Japanese tourists asking at the tourist info whether there are real live Moomins at the Helsinki Zoo. :D

I can just imagine Poltergeist's comeback to this... :p

Sarmata
03-10-2010, 09:31 AM
My son loves Moomins:D(however I thought that Tove Jannson was Swede).
Personally I don't know any Finn, but I know some bands like Nightwish and Mistreat(yes, evil neo-nazis:D), so your language sounds very odd for me;).
"Finns vs. Russians" threads it was real hard-core in different forums BTW.

The Ripper
03-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Tove Jansson was finlandssvensk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish-speaking_Finns).

Btw, the original Mumin cartoons are much better than the Japanese ones, imo.

Arrow Cross
03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Great people with a great culture and past, but I wonder where they're heading? Into the same death-trap as the rest of the West?

Poltergeist
03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
You're not the only one, the Japanese love the Moomins. You often get groups of Japanese tourists asking at the tourist info whether there are real live Moomins at the Helsinki Zoo. :DI can just imagine Poltergeist's comeback to this... :p

Blood is thicker than water.

The Ripper
03-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Great people with a great culture and past, but I wonder where they're heading? Into the same death-trap as the rest of the West?

There is no reason to assume that Finland would choose a radically different path. The change has to be pan-European.

lei.talk
03-10-2010, 03:10 PM
You often get groups of Japanese tourists
asking at the tourist info
whether there are real live Moomins at the Helsinki Zoo. :Dare they directed to the albino hippopotami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus) display?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Moomin_kuva.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomin)

Lithium
03-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I love their music and culture, beautiful peoples and especially country. :]

Groenewolf
03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
It is a an old, classic stereotype about Finns that we are very curious about what others (foreigners) think about us, our country, Kalevala, our hockey team, salmiakki & mämmi, our relationship with Conan O'Brien, you name it..

I have read the Kalevala. Very interesting read.

The Ripper
03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I have read the Kalevala. Very interesting read.

You have?? :D

I've only read bits here and there. If you don't count this.

http://www.orimattila.fi/kirjasto/images/stories/koirien_kalevala.jpg

:D

Groenewolf
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM
You have?? :D

I've only read bits here and there. If you don't count this.

English translation unfortunately.

Do you also have read the Scrooge McDuck version :P ?

The Ripper
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM
English translation unfortunately.

Do you also have read the Scrooge McDuck version :P ?

I thought that was the original!! :confused:

Of course I've read it. ;)

The English version seems a lot easier or "lighter" from a linguistic point of view, but then again it does not create the same effect as Finnish "runo-language". Its very heavy to read in Finnish and even difficult to understand at times, but I've read the central bits. I should probably get it for my personal library so I could go through it with due time.

kwp_wp
03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Introverted, softly spoken, sad, very slow and a strange but good sense of humour.

Since different nations have their own, one and only, histories, cultures, mentalities etc. therefore they're almost not comparable with each other. So to compare Finns to other ethnicities I had to find one common factor to analyse how they interfere with it to see the difference. Let's alcohol to be this factor...;)
According to my personal observation - I've been to Finland twice: for two weeks stays, as a teenager, the Finns are:
introverted - can be changed with certain amount of alcohol,
softly spoken - can be changed with even small amount of alcohol ,
sad - can be changed with any amount of alcohol, at least for a while ;),
very slow and strange - that can't be changed and alcohol can even increase it:eek:
good sense of humour - alcohol have nothing to do with it:)

Overall they seem to be quite normal nation with pretty typical reaction for booze
Seriously the're very kind people but a bit wary for the others (foreigners) and I've read somewhere they're the least gesticulative nation in the world
I feel sympathy for them, that's for sure:)

lei.talk
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/5lvwug.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalevala)

if not for the encouragement of a very sweet man (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19787#post19787)
that introduced me to many interesting persons.

most note-able
was his unfaltering adoration
of his first and - seemingly - only love (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannes_Bok).

women dream of inspiring such romance.

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 10:48 AM
introverted - can be changed with certain amount of alcohol,
softly spoken - can be changed with even small amount of alcohol ,
sad - can be changed with any amount of alcohol, at least for a while ;),
very slow and strange - that can't be changed and alcohol can even increase it:eek:
good sense of humour - alcohol have nothing to do with it:)

:thumb001: except of sense of humour (which I didn't notice at all) noticed this magic influence of alcohol on Scandinavians generally.:D

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
:thumb001: except of sense of humour (which I didn't notice at all) noticed this magic influence of alcohol on Scandinavians generally.:D

Suomis are not Scandinavians, and Suomis are far worse drinkers than Scandinavians too I think. They're a match to the Brits and the Russians in that, in my estimation.

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Suomis are not Scandinavians, and Suomis are far worse drinkers than Scandinavians too I think. They're a match to the Brits and the Russians in that, in my estimation.

Well, I am sorry because I am ignorant about North Tribals, and to placed Finns among the Scandinavians (sorry Finns), but I noticed that magical influence prior on Swedens and Norvegians. Plus-humor...

Eldritch
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Suomis are not Scandinavians

"Finlands" indeed are not Scandinavians, outsiders often make the mistake of thinking we are, to the extent that even Finns and Scandinavians them/ourselves refer to us as Scandinavians.

We are not Scandinavians, nor do we want to be. 30 years from now, when Valur Gunnarsson's Collected Works come out, take a look at his poem "The Scandinavian is Punished" and you'll understand why.

and Suomis are far worse drinkers than Scandinavians too I think. They're a match to the Brits and the Russians in that, in my estimation.

I've been in Oslo and Bergen on Saturday night. Have you?

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I've been in Oslo and Bergen on Saturday night. Have you?

Not in the pub, no. I have a hard time believeing that they are worse than Danes, anyway, and evenso I think that Suomis and Brits are much worse. Sometimes I've been at parties where all the mentioned nationalities were present. Finns and Brits easily stood out as the most wasted ones.

Eldritch
03-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Not in the pub, no. I have a hard time believeing that they are worse than Danes, anyway, and evenso I think that Suomis and Brits are much worse. Sometimes I've been at parties where all the mentioned nationalities were present. Finns and Brits easily stood out as the most wasted ones.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you on who is more shit-faced, us Finns or you Scandies. Let's just say that we are all hopeless alkies and leave it at that. ;)

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Last time I was in Sweden I met some pretty shitfaced Swedes. I mean even I thought they were shitfaced, and I had been drinking 7 days straight. One heavy metal dude was so wasted he just spoke gibberish to us in an aggressive tone, while his friend was trying to convince him "Jan, we're about to get our faces kicked in by those angry Finns". :D

Poltergeist
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
The only Mongolians who can drink much alcohol. That's the specificity of Finns within the Asiatic cluster of peoples.

Absinthe
03-11-2010, 12:30 PM
The only Mongolians who can drink much alcohol. That's the specificity of Finns within the Asiatic cluster of peoples.
Maybe I have Mongol genes as well? That should explain a lot ;)

Äike
03-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Are you serious with this statement? You can't compare Russian alcoholism with anything on this planet. Have you actually ever drank with Russians, or even met a Russian? I doubt it.

You need some shock tourism in the Russian districts of Tallinn and you'll never repeat such fatuous statements.

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Are you serious with this statement? You can't compare Russian alcoholism with anything on this planet. Have you actually ever drank with Russians, or even met a Russian? I doubt it.

You need some shock tourism in the Russian districts of Tallinn and you'll never repeat such fatuous statements.

We had drunk Russians fight in the airplane on the direct flight from Moscow...it happenes a few times...:D Nobody before did that...at least not here...:D

Äike
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
We had drunk Russians fight in the airplane on the direct flight from Moscow...it happenes a few times...:D Nobody before did that...at least not here...:D

They're extremely aggressive people and alcohol just makes it worse.

Tabiti
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Finns seem funny people and Finland seems a very beautiful country. Some guesses I would like to prove in future;)

Jamt
03-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I have known intimately and worked with Finns for a hundred years and they definitely have a distinct characteristic as a people and ethnicity. Most of it is good and very Nordic and the bad is also Nordic and good.

Eldritch
03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Damn, I wish I had known and worked with Swedes for a hundred years,

Zyklop
03-11-2010, 09:21 PM
http://narf-archive.com/pix/c22d3b45724da7178b98d849acb526152ea0ffcb.jpeg

ikki
03-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I am a salmiakki addict (TM) and I drink like a sailor. Which means I share strong cultural (if not metaphysical) ties with the Finns. Klaus Juutilainen on elaimin sekaantuva hermafrodiitti, ei muuta...perkele!! :D

and we should get you a scand keyboard next time around ;)

Nationalitist
03-15-2010, 07:59 AM
So what if they are Mongols? Why this constant urge to deny it?

Pallantides
03-15-2010, 09:05 AM

And all Southern Europeans are negros.

Nationalitist
03-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Spaniards and Southern Italians indeed are half-negroes.

poiuytrewq0987
03-15-2010, 09:18 AM

<--- Proud Nigger!

poiuytrewq0987
03-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Because it's not true? :thumb001:

Nationalitist
03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Because it's not true? :thumb001:

No, because they are insanely obsessed with "proving" they are part of teh genetic Europe, in fact, to be more precise, of teh genetic Scandinavia/Northern Europe. They are obsessed with that because of some cultural and historical reasons, which make it hard for them to accept the hard reality (that they are Mongols).

Nationalitist
03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
<--- Proud Nigger!

Bulgars were an ancient Turkish tribe and modern Bulgarians are for the most part Gypsies. But I don't mean any insult with that because I find Gypsies cool.

The Ripper
03-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Nationaltits, we get it. You think racialism is silly. We get it.

poiuytrewq0987
03-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Bulgars were an ancient Turkish tribe and modern Bulgarians are for the most part Gypsies. But I don't mean any insult with that because I find Gypsies cool.

Yes, I'm a Turk and I can't wait until I find a beautiful Slovenian women for me to impregnate!

Eldritch
03-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Because cretins like you are constantly making that claim?

Genetic_Lysenko
03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
They are darker than Scandinavians.

Pallantides
03-30-2010, 03:28 PM

No they are not.

Genetic_Lysenko
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
No they are not.

;)They are, despite you personally for some reason don´t want to admit it.

Norwegians look more Nordid than you show them in your Baltid-Alpinid Norwegian picture treads.

Äike
03-30-2010, 03:37 PM

Actually, Finns are the blondest people in the world, thus blonder than Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and Estonians.

I've read quite enough of funny posts about Finns in the past. 3 years ago on SF, someone claimed that the majority of Finns have jet black hair, lol :D He wasn't even joking, he was completely serious.

Äike
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Norwegians look more Nordid than you show them in your Baltid-Alpinid Norwegian picture treads.

You're telling a Norwegian, how Norwegians look like? :rolleyes:

Genetic_Lysenko
03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Actually, Finns are the blondest people in the world, thus blonder than Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and Estonians.

I've read quite enough of funny posts about Finns in the past. 3 years ago on SF, someone claimed that the majority of Finns have jet black hair, lol :D He wasn't even joking, he was completely serious.

According to Lundmann they are not.
It does not mean that the Finns have black hair.lol.I wanted to say that Finns are generally blond like all nations living northern than Prague;) but less blond than Scandinavians.

Pallantides
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM

I try to look at things objectively, if they are less "Nordid" and more Baltid Alpinid" so be it, I'll not sugercoat my nation with fantasies like some early 20th century "Nordicist" anthropologist. :rolleyes2:

Politicans are a good represantation of the national avarage.:)
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171085&postcount=16
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171086&postcount=17
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173065&postcount=35
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173249&postcount=36
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173300&postcount=37
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174790&postcount=45
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174848&postcount=46

Äike
03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
According to Lundmann they are not.
It does not mean that the Finns have black hair.lol.I wanted to say that Finns are generally blond like all nations living northern than Prague;) but less blond than Scandinavians.

Well... it's a common known fact that Finns are the blondest Northern Europeans, because they're Finnic. The same applies to Estonians, but Estonians aren't of pure Finnic stock, thus not as blond(I'm blond though).

Genetic_Lysenko
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Finns are darkest because they are Finnic.

Pallantides
03-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Wow your reasoning is amazing.

Eldritch
03-30-2010, 03:53 PM

How wonderful.

Loki
03-30-2010, 03:53 PM

According to some books. But does reality bear that out? From anecdotal evidence of people I know who've been to Finland, Finns are not blonder than, say, Swedes or even Danes. I'd personally have to attest since I've never been to Finland, but I have been to the other Nordic countries.

Äike
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM

It's actually the opposite...

Äike
03-30-2010, 03:58 PM
According to some books. But does reality bear that out? From anecdotal evidence of people I know who've been to Finland, Finns are not blonder than, say, Swedes or even Danes. I'd personally have to attest since I've never been to Finland, but I have been to the other Nordic countries.

I've been to Scandinavia several times and I just returned from Finland 9 days ago ;)

The Ripper
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM

As the thread title implies, this thread does not contain objective facts about Finland, but rather other peoples' subjective (mis)conceptions. ;)

I for one, have resigned to my fate as a Blonde Mongol. :D

Allenson
03-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I for one, have resigned to my fate as a Blonde Mongol. :D

Blondgoloid. :thumb001:

Anyway, I'm cool with the Finns and Finland. May they live long and prosper!

Loddfafner
07-05-2010, 02:22 PM
How many people on this site would assume that this picture is of a Finnish restaurant?

Ibericus
07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
How many people on this site would assume that this picture is of a Finnish restaurant?

Why not ?

Eldritch
07-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Well, not me at least. Is the owner Finnish or ... ?

nisse
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Likely more than one might assume, judging from all the ridiculous discussions about Finns (and lately Estonians) being "Mongoloid" that start up every once in a while. :rolleyes:

The "standard" stereotypes of Finns I always think of are that they really like nature, are grim & depressed, and drink a lot. These have been expanded and refined based on reading the "Kalevala" and "Seven brothers" :D

Äike
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Is the sign in French? I only understand one word and that's Asian. Finland doesn't have Asian cuisine.

Eldritch
07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
The "standard" stereotypes of Finns I always think of are that they really like nature, are grim & depressed, and drink a lot.

:dance:

VzxKBGC2QEU

Innar
11-02-2010, 04:51 PM
7LZEXXR30OY

anonymaus
11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I always seem to make fast friends with Finns. Maybe because I'm such a grim hard drinker ;)

Foxy
11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
my stereotypes:

- all blondes
- all drunken
- handsome guys

I have talked only with a Finn guy... he was blonde, cute and talked about beer and girls, but I still dunno which one does he prefer...

and oh... Santa....
:lightbul:

Vasconcelos
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I hold Finns in very high regard, same goes with the country, despite the Finlandization policies, which were still understandable during the Cold War era.

Raikaswinþs
11-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Finland gave me 6 months of light during a particularly dark passage of my life. Finns made me feel proud of speaking Latin. A Finn broke my heart as well . Only have one thing else to say about finland

JGWqtwhS2KY

Harcos
11-02-2010, 07:44 PM
I always seem to make fast friends with Finns. Maybe because I'm such a grim hard drinker ;)

I hate alcohol to be honest ( despite my username ). I haven't been drinking for years. I can't stand the taste, and I don't see the point of drinking as it only has negative effects on your body and mind, and if it was up to me I'd have it outlawed and confiscated along with other socially dangerous drugs. No one in my family drinks either, at least not more than any other people.

I'm thinking that it's just a false stereotype, at least that's what I've experienced. Or perhaps me and my family is just a unique exception.

Raikaswinþs
11-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I hate alcohol to be honest ( despite my username ). I haven't been drinking for years. I can't stand the taste, and I don't see the point of drinking as it only has negative effects on your body and mind, and if it was up to me I'd have it outlawed and confiscated along with other socially dangerous drugs. No one in my family drinks either, at least not more than any other people.

I'm thinking that it's just a false stereotype, at least that's what I've experienced. Or perhaps me and my family is just a unique exception.

nobody has any stereotype about finns

Harcos
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM

Oh come on..

Everyone knows that we are blond drunken Mongols.

:rolleyes:

Don Brick
11-02-2010, 07:53 PM
my stereotypes:

- all blondes
- all drunken
- handsome guys

I have talked only with a Finn guy... he was blonde, cute and talked about beer and girls, but I still dunno which one does he prefer...

and oh... Santa....
:lightbul:

-all blondes, yup I´ve got that covered
-all drunken, damn I haven´t been drunk since April, shit, I need to do something about this, it´s getting really pathetic isn´t it?
-handsome guys, I dunno know what others may think about my looks, but to be honest I haven´t felt this way about myself since April if you know what I mean :rolleyes: :D
-santa, check, I´ve played the part of Santa for many years in a row now for my family´s infinite entertainment

So what do you say vampire, do you wanna be my Bella? I can be your Edward. :icon_cheesygrin: :wink

edit: I can´t believe I just made a reference to Twilight. Maybe I am drunk after all. :whistle:

Raikaswinþs
11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Oh come on..

Everyone knows that we are blond drunken Mongols.

:rolleyes:

yeah sure... Everybody knows that :rolleyes:

I'd say that most people don't know shit about any country outside of this list:

US

CANADA

ENGLAND

SCOTLAND/IRELAND

RUSSIA

SPAIN

FRANCE

ITALY

MOORLAND

GERMS

LATINOLAND (sometimes mix-matched with Spain)

AUSTRALIA/NZ (ANTIPODES)

NEGROLAND

CHINKLAND

DESILAND

if you belong to a country/ethnicity outside this list, the odds are, nobody knows shit about you. which is , most of the times , a good thing (although sometimes can be annoying)

Eldritch
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
yeah sure... Everybody knows that :rolleyes:

I'd say that most people don't know shit about any country outside of this list:

US

CANADA

ENGLAND

SCOTLAND/IRELAND

RUSSIA

SPAIN

FRANCE

ITALY

MOORLAND

GERMS

LATINOLAND (sometimes mix-matched with Spain)

AUSTRALIA/NZ (ANTIPODES)

NEGROLAND

CHINKLAND

DESILAND

if you belong to a country/ethnicity outside this list, the odds are, nobody knows shit about you. which is , most of the times , a good thing (although sometimes can be annoying)

And most of the time people only think they know anything about these countries, but are really running an endless loop of unoriginal and boring stereotypes in their head.

On a related note, it never ceases to amaze me how people register on a forum like this, and then absolutely refuse to give up whatever little preconceived ideas they happen to have in their heads about people of other nationalities. The most ridiculous example I think of is here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20121). If leaving one's own little bubble is so painful, why do it and make a fool of yourself?

anonymaus
11-02-2010, 08:46 PM

Aside from a nationalistic predilection for inferior phone technology, I have no stereotypes about Finns in my mind. Most stereotypes remain in tact only in isolation, and I've known too many Finns to have any stereotypes remain :D

Raikaswinþs
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
actually I would say that many people register just to splash all those preconceived ideas, the more bigoted the better, only to see if somebody else agrees or finds them funny. Not to learn anything new.

Don Brick
11-02-2010, 09:41 PM
??? Just ignore this one. Accidental double post. Very strange...

Moonbird
11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
-all drunken, damn I haven´t been drunk since April, shit, I need to do something about this, it´s getting really pathetic isn´t it?

You sure you're a Finn?:confused:

Pallantides
11-06-2010, 12:57 PM

In Norway this is how we view Finns:
0H_h-ONFyr0

Aino
11-06-2010, 01:05 PM
In Norway this is how we view Finns:

Piirka is hilarious. :D

Loki
11-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Maybe he just has a high tolerance to alcohol by now? ;)

Motörhead Remember Me
11-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Probably surer than you...

Moonbird
11-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Probably surer than you...

And you;)

Foxy
11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
-all blondes, yup I´ve got that covered
-handsome guys, I dunno know what others may think about my looks, but to be honest I haven´t felt this way about myself since April if you know what I mean :rolleyes: :D
-santa, check, I´ve played the part of Santa for many years in a row now for my family´s infinite entertainment

So what do you say vampire, do you wanna be my Bella? I can be your Edward. :icon_cheesygrin: :wink

edit: I can´t believe I just made a reference to Twilight. Maybe I am drunk after all. :whistle:

Taken.
I see we have a future :thumbs up
I like wine, you like beer. If you don't dispute about it we are ok :wink

Shit, a Finn guy... today is my lucky day....

ps: I can't believe that a Finn hasn't been drunken for 7 months while my Italian friends have not been drunken for maybe the last 48 hours... bad, darling, very bad :D

Don Brick
11-28-2010, 04:38 PM

Yes, quite sure. :D Actually the funny thing with me and alcohol is that I really don´t have anything against drinking and getting drunk in general it´s just that I don´t "need" it. What I mean is that when I go out and to parties and such I really don´t have to drink to get my party mode on so to speak. Just being in good company and in a good setting is enough for my party/quasi drunk trigger to go off. Also I often start feeling quite tipsy just watching other people get wasted which is strange but surely not unheard of. I guess I´m just not in the habit of getting drunk often and I started quite late too compared to most of my peers which might have some correlation. Honestly though I never really think about it. :rolleyes: :p

Don Brick
11-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Taken.
I see we have a future :thumbs up
I like wine, you like beer. If you don't dispute about it we are ok :wink

Shit, a Finn guy... today is my lucky day....

ps: I can't believe that a Finn hasn't been drunken for 7 months while my Italian friends have not been drunken for maybe the last 48 hours... bad, darling, very bad :D

hehe I think we´re heading off to a great start here. :D :love: And about the drinking, don´t worry about it, honey. I like a girl who can hold her liquor (sorry I mean wine in this case :p). Perhaps, just perhaps I´ll get mega wasted sometime soon and drink in your honor. ;)

Guys what do you think, if I were to go on a crazy drunk binge on New Year´s Eve could I still cleanse myself of the sin of not drinking enough earlier this year? :D

Absinthe
12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I terribly miss Finland+Finns, I'm constantly daydreaming about going back... I really hope I can make it this year, even though it's the toughest one, financially speaking, so far. Or maybe this time the Finns can come to me? :D