PDA

View Full Version : Sweden: Nationalists (Sverigedemokraterna) have chance to enter government

Lenny
03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Sweden votes in September of this year
To gain any seats, a party needs over 4% of the vote
In 2006, the nationalist Sverigedemokraterna (Sweden-Democrats) took 3%.
Polls have shown (http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/35193/opposition_close_to_50_mark_in_sweden1/) their support has doubled to around 6%.

Here are the 2006 results and the current projections for 2010. The parties' ideologies as I see them are appended.

[A caveat: Swedish politics, not that I'm very familiar with it, seems very strange to me: Sweden is supposedly led now by a "center-right" coalition, but the ideologies of two of the constituent parties would qualify more as very left-wing to my mind, certainly socially {i.e., in the things that actually matter}...]

Sept. 2006 Results

'Rightist' Paragrouping
26.2% : Moderaterna [center-right, freemarketeer]
7.5% : Folkpartiet liberalerna [center-left, freemarketeer]
6.6% : Kristdemokraterna [respectable right-wing]
7.9% : Centerpartiet [center-left]
48.2% Subtotal (51% of all seats)

'Leftist' Paragrouping
35.0% : Socialdemokraterna [respectable far-leftism]
5.9% : Vänsterpartiet [far-left, neoCommunist]
5.2% : Greens
46.1% Subtotal

Parties under 4%-Hurdle
2.9% : Sverigedemokraterna [non-radical voelkisch]
{other single-issue or joke parties of negligible importance}
0.1% : Nationaldemokraterna [radical voelkisch]

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_general_election,_2006)

Sept. 2010 -- Polling results as of March 8th, 2010

'Rightist' Paragrouping (plus Sverigedemokraterna)
27.7% : Moderaterna [center-right, freemarketeer]
6.3% : Folkpartiet liberalerna [center-left, freemarketeer]
5.6% : Sverigedemokraterna [non-radical voelkisch]
4.1% : Kristdemokraterna [respectable right-wing]
4.9% : Centerpartiet [center-left]
48.6% Subtotal

'Leftist' Paragrouping
35.2% : Socialdemokraterna [respectable far-leftism]
4.8% : Vänsterpartiet [far-left, neoCommunist]
9.7% : Greens
49.7% Subtotal

Source (http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/35193/opposition_close_to_50_mark_in_sweden1/)
Things are very tight -- A shift of one percent of the vote changes what the government will be.

But one thing looks clear: There can be no "right-wing" coalition without the Sverigedemokraterna. The 'good guys' could be the "kingmakers" -- could put the "right-wing" coalition over the top. :D :thumb001:

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
They'll never be let into government. The Swedish political climate is far too hysterical for that.

Lenny
03-11-2010, 04:22 AM
They'll never be let into government. The Swedish political climate is far too hysterical for that.
There will be 8 parties in the Riksdag -- Would the Moderaterna and its junior partners really rather form a government with any of the three far-left parties than Sverigedemokraterna??

Sept. 2010 projected results (opinion polls as of March 8th, 2010)

'Rightist' Paragrouping (plus Sverigedemokraterna)
27.7% : Moderaterna [center-right, freemarketeer]
6.3% : Folkpartiet liberalerna [center-left, freemarketeer]
5.6% : Sverigedemokraterna [non-radical voelkisch]
4.1% : Kristdemokraterna [respectable right-wing]
4.9% : Centerpartiet [center-left]
48.6% Subtotal

'Leftist' Paragrouping
35.2% : Socialdemokraterna [respectable far-leftism]
4.8% : Vänsterpartiet [far-left, neoCommunist]
9.7% : Greens
49.7% Subtotal

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 09:44 AM
There will be 8 parties in the Riksdag -- Would the Moderaterna and its junior partners really rather form a government with any of the three far-left parties than Sverigedemokraterna??

There are no far or reasonably independent parties among those that are funded by the state. Vänsterpartiet (Left Party) come closest to that, but the Left Party has been the fifth wheel under the Social Democratic wagon for many years, so in reality it means little. Sverigedemokraterna is funded in case you didn't know.

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 11:50 AM

I'm pretty sure they would.

Lenny
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure they would [because "the Swedish political climate is far too hysterical for that."]
Sverigedemokraterna cannot, in all honesty, be considered nationalist.
--Riippumaton (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181018&postcount=3)
I don't get it.

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't get it.

We will see what happens. I'm saying nothing about that. The fact is that the public image of the party is nothing like the reality. All the truly bad things about the party are scraped under the rug because they are 'racist'. They are cowards, that's clear. They always make lame excuses for the media, and they have a jargon so boring and all too fitting for politicians; they are not in the least radical in anything. Noone even has a fair clue what they would do if they came to power (which is very hypothetical anyway, of course). They just have this false public image.

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't get it.

They aren't nationalist, even near to being nationalist, but in the Swedish media / political / social climate, they're next from Hitler.

Jamt
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
They aren't nationalist, even near to being nationalist, but in the Swedish media / political / social climate, they're next from Hitler.

That is bullshit. I, as a Swede will now go on and on about why “The true Finns Party” is a bunch of useless shits, something I know nothing about. Just so you will get how your stupid your “SD are not nationalists” is.

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 05:30 PM
That is bullshit. I, as a Swede will now go on and on about why “The true Finns Party” is a bunch of useless shits, something I know nothing about.
By all means, it won't hurt my feelings. The True Finns aren't really that nationalist either, even if they field nationalist candidates.

Just so you will get how your stupid your “SD are not nationalists” is.

They aren't nationalists in my opinion. What makes them nationalist? That they want to reduce immigration?

Jamt
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
By all means, it won't hurt my feelings. The True Finns aren't really that nationalist either, even if they field nationalist candidates.

They aren't nationalists in my opinion. What makes them nationalist? That they want to reduce immigration?

If your knowledge about SD are only “they want to reduce immigration” then you are lacking in knowing what the hell you are talking about and I suggest, if you are interested, you learn more. I as hell will not take you very seriously if you keep throwing out guesses, bordering on trolling from now on.

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
If your knowledge about SD are only “they want to reduce immigration” then you are lacking in knowing what the hell you are talking about and I suggest, if you are interested, you learn more. I as hell will not take you very seriously if you keep throwing out guesses, bordering on trolling from now on.

I asked you:

What makes them nationalist?

Answer instead of being angry about my ignorance.

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm not a nationalist myself, so 'nationalist' is not a badge of honour with which I flatter those I like, but I agree that they are not nationalists. They don't care about souvereignity and integrity, whether political or cultural, judging by their attitudes to foreign as well as domestic policy.

Jamt
03-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I asked you:

Answer instead of being angry about my ignorance.

What makes you a nationalist? Let’s deconstruct that.

The Ripper
03-12-2010, 08:41 AM
What makes you a nationalist? Let’s deconstruct that.

We are talking about the Sweden Democrats. If you want to get personal, send me a PM and we'll talk it through. If you think they are nationalist, what is so difficult in explaining what makes them so?