PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacist refuses to issue pill because of her religion

Liffrea
03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
A pharmacist refused to issue contraceptive pills prescribed by a doctor because it was against her religion.

Janine Deeley, 38, thought the woman was joking when she took her on one side and said : "I don't give out contraceptive pills because of my religion."

The mother of two teenage daughters, from Wybourn , Sheffield, said : "I couldn't believe the arrogance of the woman . Who is she to refuse to give me properly prescribed legal drugs?

"The irony is that one reason why I am prescribed the pill is because I suffer from endometriosis which causes painful periods.

"But that's not the point I don't see why I need to be treated like a child and explain myself to her. I am a responsible adult.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7404786/Pharmacist-refuses-to-issue-pill-because-of-her-religion.html

poiuytrewq0987
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
They didn't even describe who the pharmacist was, how typical. This is one of the cases where religious people shouldn't work in the medical or scientific field.

The Ripper
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
They didn't even describe who the pharmacist was, how typical. This is one of the cases where religious people shouldn't work in the medical or scientific field.

Yet neither field would exist without religious people. :D

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
And what's her religion?

Cato
03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Time to find a new pharmacist.

Poltergeist
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
...or for the pharmacist to find a new religion?

Cato
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
...or for the pharmacist to find a new religion?

And a better idea of what it means to do the work she's hired for.

Óttar
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
And what's her religion?
Probably a Catholic.

Absinthe
03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Probably a Catholic.
Or a Muslim?

Grumpy Cat
03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
OK... so why did this person choose pharmacy as a potential field?

Beorn
03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Being in Britain, and it being Sheffield, I can assure you it is most definitely NOT a follower of any form of Christianity.

It reminds me of other doctors I have met who have these whacky and insane ideas that they want to try out on me and others. I had one doctor tell me I was not needy of antibiotics for a chest infection because I was strong enough to combat it by myself.
I simply didn't bother to remind him I had been suffering with that very same chest infection for a week and a half, and simply walked out and made an emergency appointment to see another doctor who would.

My chest infection cleared up after 2 days of receiving proper medical treatment. :)

SwordoftheVistula
03-10-2010, 02:34 AM
The mother of two teenage daughters, from Wybourn , Sheffield, said : "I couldn't believe the arrogance of the woman . Who is she to refuse to give me properly prescribed legal drugs?

What a snotty bitch. A prescription is just a license to be allowed to possess a certain amount of a particular drug, it doesn't mean people have to give it to you, much less that particular pharmacist. It'd be like getting a driver's license and then using it as a basis to demand someone sell you their car.

Beorn
03-10-2010, 02:40 AM
A prescription is just a license to be allowed to possess a certain amount of a particular drug, it doesn't mean people have to give it to you

Even when it is a government financed business, and the woman had the very presciption signed and authorised from her doctor? :confused:

Guapo
03-10-2010, 02:47 AM
I bet she says that to every female.

Anthropos
03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
What a snotty bitch. A prescription is just a license to be allowed to possess a certain amount of a particular drug, it doesn't mean people have to give it to you, much less that particular pharmacist. It'd be like getting a driver's license and then using it as a basis to demand someone sell you their car.

It's pretty cool that an atheist said it first. It's a valid point regardless of what we think about this particular case.

If you don't see the point, do you also think that any doctor has to perform an abortion as soon as he is asked to? What kind of society is that / would that be?

Poltergeist
03-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Being in Britain, and it being Sheffield, I can assure you it is most definitely NOT a follower of any form of Christianity.

It reminds me of other doctors I have met who have these whacky and insane ideas that they want to try out on me and others. I had one doctor tell me I was not needy of antibiotics for a chest infection because I was strong enough to combat it by myself.
I simply didn't bother to remind him I had been suffering with that very same chest infection for a week and a half, and simply walked out and made an emergency appointment to see another doctor who would.

My chest infection cleared up after 2 days of receiving proper medical treatment. :)

Excessive use of antibiotics has caused many bacteria to develop new resistamce mechanisms.

Liffrea
03-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by SwordoftheVistula
A prescription is just a license to be allowed to possess a certain amount of a particular drug, it doesn't mean people have to give it to you, much less that particular pharmacist. It'd be like getting a driver's license and then using it as a basis to demand someone sell you their car.

A pharmacist in the UK isn’t legally bound to dispense a prescription if it is against their religious convictions, however they do have to advise the patient that they can ask another pharmacist or where the nearest other chemists is.

The basis of the women’s claim in the article is that the pharmacist did not advise her she just denied to serve her, which is technically illegal.

Druantia
03-10-2010, 07:08 PM
the pharmacist has not as yet been named, but is believed to be of west Indian origins. so could be Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, Islam or Christianity. not sure which religion would disagree with the pill though!

Anthropos
03-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Abortion and abortifacient contraception is forbidden by the 6th commandment, but the issue of non-abortifacient contraception is not defined by the Church as a whole.

Opinions about contraception have varied in the Orthodox Church. There is complete unanimity that no form of contraception that is abortifacient is acceptable and there are definitive ecumenical canons that proscribe abortifacients. The Fathers of the Church, such as Ss. Athanasius the Great, John Chrysostom, Epiphanios, Jerome, Ambrose, Augustine of Hippo, Caesarious, Gregory the Great, Augustine of Canterbury and Maximos the Confessor, all explicitely condemned abortion as well as the use of abortifacients. However there are a range of opinions on the issue of non-abortifacient contraception.

1) There are those who hold the view that sex should only be for the purpose of procreation, and so even natural family planning would be prohibited.

2)There are those who argue that natural family planning is acceptable, because it simply involves abstinence from sex during times when fertility is likely.

3)There are those who teach that non-abortifacient contraception is acceptable if it is used with the blessing of one's spiritual father, and if it is not used simply to avoid having children for purely selfish reasons. The statement on marriage and family from the 10th All-American Council of the Orthodox Church in America follows along these lines, as does "The Bases of the Social Concept of the Russian Orthodox Church," section XII. 3, which was approved by the 2000 Council of the Russian Orthodox Church.

While some local churches have issued official statements on this issue, it is not an issue that has been clearly defined by the entire Church. Orthodox Wiki on contraception (http://orthodoxwiki.org/Contraception)

Beorn
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Excessive use of antibiotics has caused many bacteria to develop new resistamce mechanisms.

That would be a legitimate excuse to refuse me on that occasion from having a course of antibiotics, excpet the file he has sitting on his pc clearly shows my medical history, and the severity of my medical history, to stop trying to enforce his new thought out concerns in regards to overuse of antibiotics.

SwordoftheVistula
03-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Even when it is a government financed business, and the woman had the very presciption signed and authorised from her doctor? :confused:

That's the problem with government financed health care, is it ends up trying to force everyone into the same mold regardless of their individual beliefs.

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 03:51 AM
What does religion have to do with a person wanting to use birth prevention methods? I see some people bringing up religion in regards to what its concepts of contraceptives are. I mean, my gawd, let people do what they want. A bible written by a bunch of people many centuries ago aren't going to stop people from using contraceptives.

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM
What does religion have to do with a person wanting to use birth prevention methods? I see some people bringing up religion in regards to what its concepts of contraceptives are. I mean, my gawd, let people do what they want. A bible written by a bunch of people many centuries ago aren't going to stop people from using contraceptives.

Someone - Druantia I think it was - asked about it, so I posted some info. That's all. :)