PDA

View Full Version : Your view about Germans and Germany?

Svanhild
03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
On the basis of other threads with an analogical direction I wonder how you guys and gals see my country and my people. What's your first idea if you hear the word "German"? What do you like about Germany and what do you hate about Germany? Language? Culture? History? Technology? Are we cocky? Do we have humour or are we all eternal sons and daughters of Adolf and Eva? :wink

You can use the scale to vote but I would be delighted to read your written down opinions.

curiousman
03-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Do you know that old saying: "Italians respect Germans but don't like them, Germans like Italians but don't respect them" ... I disagree with my fellow countrymen I like Germans and respect them :)
Every time I went to Germany as a tourist I was surprised to find there people so friendly and helpful towards me so I always enjoyed my stay there :thumb001:

The Ripper
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I feel a connection to Germany in many ways, but perhaps it is a Germany that has ceased to exist.

Anthropos
03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Germans are basically humans (surprise, surprise). :)

The German spirit seems approximately to be that of a sober Dane, :thumb001: a bit viereckisch, anders gut. If you have some attachment whether direct or indirect Germans can be very hospitable and even laid back, but many are also quite uptight, extremely demonstrative and 'organised' according to made up norms in some matters where that hardly seems to be an advantage to me. (Swedes also have that tendency to a lesser degree.) I visited Germany a couple of times and I much enjoyed your Riesling Qualitätswein mit oder ohne Prädikat, your Sekt and your Weissbier, figs growing outside in the Weingarten among other things. Very nice!

Óttar
03-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Somewhere between 1 and 2. The stereotype of the German pre-WW1 was of a bespectacled, humourless, intense person. I think the Germans have been unfairly sidelined, and that other continentals i.e. the French get all the credit.

When one thinks of great composers, one mentions overwhelmingly German people; Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, etc. Most of the great scientists were Germans. Most of the great philosophers were Germans. Many great mythographers and folklorists were Germans. Linguists, technology, the list goes on and on. German was the lingua franca of eastern Europe until relatively recently. Germans have a really kick ass language, capable of expressing the most lofty of concepts.

The Spaniards' armada was built by Germans, their colonial projects were financed by German banks and German mining. Many Germans went to South America and set up banks.

The German is at once connected to nature and high culture. When people indict the Germans, they indict all of Europe.

Deutschland is das Herz Europas.

Groenewolf
03-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Hmm, my views on Germany. Besides that they should become a Kaiserreich again you mean. That is gonna be a hard question to answer. Lets just say I have very little with the present German state.

Now for the German people. First of all I do not have the feeling towards Germans I am supposed to have because of WOII. Most of my blame for that goes to our own politicians for their weak war preparations and a less effective neutrality policy then during WOI.

But I judge the Germans on a case to case basis.

The Black Prince
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Very fine people with some weak points:

A lot of Germans spend their hollidays on Dutch beaches, the common habit of Germans on a beach in a foreign country is to digg a hole and sit all day init:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_mwZLvbWbRAM/RtCYlZ51PQI/AAAAAAAAAKI/6neMCPHkMbc/010-P8120192.JPG

http://oudshoorn.punt.nl/upload/katwijk.jpg

http://headlines.nos.nl/documents/58/c5/58c509c275fe8d08430ac8b5af200686.small.jpg

f.i. check this pic: spot the German... (German in a pit on the beach, Dutchmen just laying on the beach)
http://www.depers.nl/beeld/w178/2009/200908/20090818/duitser%20kuil%20strand%20ANP%20MARCEL%20ANTONISSE .jpg

Though it can be nice:
http://i43.tinypic.com/mazdqc.jpg
German ladies in their dug out hideout on the beach.;)

Jägerstaffel
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM
On the basis of other threads with an analogical direction I wonder how you guys and gals see my country and my people. What's your first idea if you hear the word "German"? What do you like about Germany and what do you hate about Germany? Language? Culture? History? Technology? Are we cocky? Do we have humour or are we all eternal sons and daughters of Adolf and Eva? :wink

You can use the scale to vote but I would be delighted to read your written down opinions.

I hold Germany and German culture in high esteem because of my own family links to the land/culture and also because of general admiration. That includes almost all aspects - language, cuisine, technology, art, architecture etc.

As for the history, all nations have had histories of highs and lows.

I have however wondered before why some people claim that Germans are lacking in a sense of humour. Why is that anyways?

The Ripper
03-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I suppose it just comes naturally to them. As soon as they step over their borders, they look for a place to dig in. :D

JOKE.

The Lawspeaker
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I always joke that we may celebrate our liberation in May but during Summer the Atlantikwall returns. ;)

Eldritch
03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I am an Anglophile and also an English Philologist by trade, but just like most Finns, I also have a tremendous admiration towards Germany and the Germans.

[However I refuse to take sides in any Kraut/Polak online forum wars]

They are unsurpassed when it comes to philosophy, art, designing and constructing automobiles and brewing beer. :D

They are brave, dedicated, honest, consistent, and thoughtful.

And anyone who says that German food is "tasteless" or "boring" makes my idiot list immediately.

I am a pipe smoker, and Design Berlin is just one of the many German pipemakers that provides a fantastic price/quality ratio.

http://uptowncigar.com/images/DB-Sandblasted-$54.95jpg.jpg

Bard
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I like and respect germans, in your country most of the things work fine.
Germans are known for being good workers and precise people, I think that we need this kind of people nowadays. I'm sorry for your turkeyzation too.

Fortis in Arduis
03-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I feel the young Germany is just as bad as young Britain; my point of reference.

I voted indifferent. Young Germans seem to like British popular culture too much for my liking , but I want to see a new Germany, as much as I want to see a new Britain

Liffrea
03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Germany…….

I’ve never had the residual hostility to Germans that much of English youth has, I never fought in the war personally, the way I figure it Adolf Hitler died in 1945, end of story. I’ve never really bought the “Germanic” thing either, that’s not to common amongst the English majority anyway, we don’t consider ourselves “Germanic”, but it’s an attitude I’ve come across a lot in nationalist circles in England where there tends to be a vogue for German things…. people tend to either love or loath the Germans in my experience, I’m a minority in probably being largely indifferent…

On the whole I generally liked Germany when I visited, Munich is a stunningly beautiful city, Berlin I didn’t like as much. I was surprised that English wasn’t as spoken amongst the Germans as amongst the French….I had an interesting conversation with an elderly German women on a bus in Berlin who had heard me and my friend talking, she had been a German teacher in England. I never got to travel down the Rhine, which is something I regret. The Germans I’ve known have been decent enough people, I also don’t understand why people think Germans don’t have a sense of humour….

As for German culture, you can’t really appreciate classical music without appreciating the German composers. Nietzsche is one of the most influential philosophers on my outlook and I love Goethe’s Faust.

Bard
03-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I also don’t understand why people think Germans don’t have a sense of humour….

A lot of people consider germans a sort of nazi-like soldiers very strict and unable to laugh, obviously it's just a stereotype (every country has its stereotypes).

Allenson
03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm down with the Krauts.

Bitte ein Bit! :thumbs up

Liffrea
03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bard
A lot of people consider germans a sort of nazi-like soldiers very strict and unable to laugh, obviously it's just a stereotype (every country has its stereotypes).

Black Adder meets the Red Baron (Adrian Edmondson) fast forward to 4.25.:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2R2BcMjYg&feature=related

hajduk
03-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I hate the way how German soldiers are portrayed. They were most disciplined and noble soldiers in WWII

Pallantides
03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Germans are very dangerous when left unchecked. :p:D

They gave us World War 2 and Tokio Hotel.

Troll's Puzzle
03-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Germans are basically humans (surprise, surprise). :)

:thumb down BS! Deutschen bin nicht Mensch.
Deuschen bist UBERMENSCH :thumb001:

Beorn
03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
:thumb down BS! Deutschen bin nicht Mensch.
Deuschen bist UBERMENSCH :thumb001:

:thumb down Come on Renwein. We all know the English are the real ubermensch. Any nation that calls its mobile phones 'handies' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WIscxut_ak) is not deserving of the title.

Troll's Puzzle
03-10-2010, 11:16 PM
:thumb down Come on Renwein. We all know the English are the real ubermensch. Any nation that calls its mobile phones 'handies' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WIscxut_ak) is not deserving of the title.

Whos'e 'Renwein' ?
Ich bin einen Trollspuzzle :)

(well, the English can ultraubermensch too, if we accept them as a kind of more-uber-than-ubermensch bastard spawning off of the germans :P - but I know u & yo celticness ain't b down with that, playa)

Beorn
03-10-2010, 11:20 PM
(well, the English can ultraubermensch too, if we accept them as a kind of more-uber-than-ubermensch bastard spawning off of the germans :P

Now that's more like it. :swl

but I know u & yo celticness ain't b down with that, playa)

Bah humbug! Mez ain't noo Celtz or Germanicz. I iz English with an 'h'.

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 06:38 AM

I love Germans, you guys have been our great allies for two world wars. Even though we lost both wars, friendship was built through both wars. And I am truly disappointed that we've not done anything recent to bring our bond closer. But we've done some at least like the recent commission meeting in Bavaria. http://novinite.com/view_news.php?id=113970 :)
(http://novinite.com/view_news.php?id=113970)

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 06:53 AM
never been in Germany so my opinion is not so relevant, but I met a lot of German workers here in foreign organizations and turists-for me not interesting population at all, with no sence of humor, but nice. Very free minded-a lot of Germans in international organizations happened to be gay-but in work they are cooperated and excellent so on the end it doesn't matter at all.

Voted as Fortis and etc-indifferent.

Personaly I am always suprised how I react on German language which irritated me a lot (probably because it isn't english:P).

Baron Samedi
03-11-2010, 06:54 AM
I don't care for most Germans I have interacted with on forums like this too much.... Come off as cold and stuffy.

and LOL @ your country now.

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I don't care for most Germans I have interacted with on forums like this too much.... Come off as cold and stuffy.

and LOL @ your country now.

Why? What's wrong with the Germany as country?

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Why? What's wrong with the Germany as country?

It probably has something to do with restrictive free speech laws and the fact there are a lot of Turks now in Germany. But this phenomenon is not unique to Germany...

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 07:04 AM
It probably has something to do with restrictive free speech laws and the fact there are a lot of Turks now in Germany. But this phenomenon is not unique to Germany...

really?:eek: somehow it is difficult to believe in that, I really never heard about it...

Kornelia
03-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Those i've met have been very nice :-)

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 07:06 AM
really?:eek: somehow it is difficult to believe in that, I really never heard about it...

Zundel, for instance was jailed in Germany for 5 years for publishing materials in Canada (and USA too?) which was illegal in Germany (which is the matter of questioning the holocaust).

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Zundel, for instance was jailed in Germany for 5 years for publishing materials in Canada (and USA too?) which was illegal in Germany (which is the matter of questioning the holocaust).

So it wasn't just in Germany, as I understood Germans the nazi subjects are painful for them and tried to coped and get over it. You couldn't compare activity of this man with free speech.

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 12:39 PM
So it wasn't just in Germany, as I understood Germans the nazi subjects are painful for them and tried to coped and get over it. You couldn't compare activity of this man with free speech.

He was jailed over a crime he didn't commit in Germany. That should say a lot about the sad state of affairs in Germany.

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 12:49 PM
He was jailed over a crime he didn't commit in Germany. That should say a lot about the sad state of affairs in Germany.

Did he even commit a crime by German legislation? Is it a crime as per the letter of the law to investigate the holocaust at all in Germany? I tried to find the legislature without any luck.

W. R.
03-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Indifferent. I neither like nor hate them. But I keep distance. The distance is almost 700 kilometers. :biggrin:

Osweo
03-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Germans?
They're a mixed bunch, unsurprisingly for a people of many millions. The first option is one I'd tend to reserve for fanatics. ;) I picked the second. Europe wouldn't be the same without them, for better or worse. I had a good friend at university from Stuttgart, and have known several expat Nemtsy in Moscow. :)

I will never forget impromptu waltzing with Bettina in the courtyard of the Stanislavsky Nemirovich-Danchenko theatre during the interval of 'The Nutcracker' that time... Ach! Ja ja, I have a generally positive attitude to the Bosch. ;) Temperamentally, it cannot be denied, they are very different to the English on the most part, and often a little awkward to deal with if you're not aware of these things, but that goes for most nations in some way or other.

You couldn't compare activity of this man with free speech.
I think you can, and must. If free speech is curtailed because some things are 'repugnant', there will forever be a grey area about what you can and cannot say; and the general public will be effectively censored from expressing its opinions on matters of the gravest national import. This is what has already happened to some extent here in England. Can you even believe that they were discussing on the radio the other day whether or not new 'Equality' legislation should protect vegans from 'discrimination'?! Things have gone mad in the world of politics and ideology, and criminalising opinion on historical matters has been 'the thin end of the wedge'. Additionally, if the definition of 'free speech' is something to argue over it becomes easier for corrupt authorities to 'frame' people, or provoke them into breaking these laws. That you can go to prison, never having harmed anybody in any material way, is absurd.

Amarantine
03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I think you can, and must. If free speech is curtailed because some things are 'repugnant', there will forever be a grey area about what you can and cannot say; and the general public will be effectively censored from expressing its opinions on matters of the gravest national import. This is what has already happened to some extent here in England. Can you even believe that they were discussing on the radio the other day whether or not new 'Equality' legislation should protect vegans from 'discrimination'?! Things have gone mad in the world of politics and ideology, and criminalising opinion on historical matters has been 'the thin end of the wedge'. Additionally, if the definition of 'free speech' is something to argue over it becomes easier for corrupt authorities to 'frame' people, or provoke them into breaking these laws. That you can go to prison, never having harmed anybody in any material way, is absurd.

I like your remark really, it is very interesting and I find as main difference between me-our part of Europe which is more, hm let s say -conservative then approach of you-part of British Isles-the famous British approach. I am not sure would you understand what I tried to say now at all. :)

Aemma
03-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I personally don't like categorizing people according to their ethnicity or culture. It is a disservice to each and every individual human being in the end and only propagates more (and oftentimes erroneous) stereotypical thinking which I am not fond of.

Having said this, the German people that I have fostered some degree of friendship with over the years through these various fora have been people I have liked, not because they are German, but because of some individual traits which I have admired, such as a great sense of humour, intelligence, friendliness.

Pallantides
03-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I wanted to vote 2, but I did the Norwegian thing and voted 6.:p:D

I don't know why but many Norwegians especially older people seem to dislike Germans a lot, the war is long over and I think it's time to let it go.

Aemma
03-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Did he even commit a crime by German legislation? Is it a crime as per the letter of the law to investigate the holocaust at all in Germany? I tried to find the legislature without any luck.

I think that this Zundel topic has its own home/thread. Let's not rehash that topic here please and keep to what this member has asked about. Thanks. :)

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I wanted to vote 2, but I did the Norwegian thing and voted 6.:p:D

I don't know why but many Norwegians especially older people seem to dislike Germans a lot.

What do you mean you don't know? They occupied your country.

Pallantides
03-11-2010, 01:51 PM
What do you mean you don't know? They occupied your country.

Duh I'm well aware of that... but compared to the others we got off fairly easy, only ca. 10.000 Norwegians dead(only 2000 were combatants).
Besides most Norwegians did not suffer under German occupation unlike the Poles.

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah but compared to the others we got off fairly easy, only ca. 10.000 Norwegians dead(only 2000 were combatants).
Besides most Norwegians did not suffer under German occupation unlike the Poles, we do have a habit of exaggerating our situation

Still that is the reason, most likely. Whether the dislike is disproportionate is another matter. :)

I hear people in Finnish Lapland still carry a grudge against the Germans for burning every house to the ground.

"Don't trust a German asking for a light."

EWtt
03-11-2010, 02:00 PM
My view of Germany, German people, culture and history, is overall positive.

I feel certain closeness due to shared history, the impact our culture has had over the centuries as Estonia was dominated by Baltic Germans, the Hanseatic League, Lutheranism, etc. The German language used to be the lingua franca here, so the majority of the loanwords in our language are Low Saxon and German. Many Estonians served in a German uniform during the war, my own relatives included.

The Germans I've met have been nice people, too. I once met a couple of German exchange students who had become pretty much fluent in our language in few months, I remember them arguing about who speaks German "properly" (one was a Berliner, the other from the south I think).

I admire German Ordnung and of course all the contributions Germany has made in the fields of technology, literature, music.

On a more political level, I could find some matters to disagree with (Nord Stream pipeline, politicians like Schröder). And of course it's not good to see contemporary Germany (like most of Europe) suffering due to immigrant issues, multiculturalism, extreme political correctness, etc. :(

Pallantides
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Still that is the reason, most likely. Whether the dislike is disproportionate is another matter. :)

I hear people in Finnish Lapland still carry a grudge against the Germans for burning every house to the ground.

They did the same in Finnmark.
http://www.klio.no/bilder/2498_Finnmark_brenner_large.jpg
http://img.nrk.no/img/415526.jpeg
http://daria.no/skole/doc/html/8732.doc-filer/image001.jpg

The Ripper
03-11-2010, 02:06 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Sodankyl%C3%A4_1944.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Ivalontuhottuakylaa.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/FinnishTroops_Rovaniemi1944_LaplandWar_004.jpg

Anthropos
03-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I think that this Zundel topic has its own home/thread. Let's not rehash that topic here please and keep to what this member has asked about. Thanks. :)

The question was raised by Amarantine if Germans enjoy free speech or not and it was Voin/Void who mentioned the unmentionable first, not me. The thread is about Germany anyway - I don't see the problem - but (in this case) I wish to escape Steinigung wegen Blasphemie:

SohMW2aa9IQ

asulf
03-11-2010, 02:23 PM
A great people, an undeniable contribution to our civilization.
It is that time in my eyes, to separate the Nazi past and the German people today as well as stop growing anti German, French, and English, and other countries.
Tools political demagoguery and implemented to make the other responsible for his own shortcomings, the eyes of people who are often restricted when their vision of the world and always on behalf of the past.
Sure ... , I speak for myself, the blood ties that are under my French polish I always feel German.
I love you my brothers and sisters!

Tabiti
03-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Germany is a nice country. Germans...Hmm, all the people I know are different, so I can't say anything.

Svanhild
03-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Interesting answers so far, and more positive as assumed. Cheers! The history of the Second World War still plays a major role.

But Riippumaton, let's not forget why all the ravage in parts of Finland happened. Finland changed the sides and turned against Germany while Germans were fighting shoulder to shoulder with Finns. Finnic soldiers turned against the German comrades and opened fire at some places, killing German soldiers all of a sudden. That enraged a lot of German soldiers who decided to burn stuff down on their hasty way out of the country. It was not a nice way but it's intelligible in a situation of shock and anger and in face of betrayal. There's nothing to be proud of, neither on German nor on Finnic side.

Loki
03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Oddly enough, I have not met many Germans in London, so don't have any friendships with any. I met some in South Africa, and all of them there found it easy to master my language, Afrikaans. They seemed good and integrated well into the Afrikaans community, because of similar roots and heritage. Some were quite insular and phobic of meeting people, though.

I find it hard to have prejudices about people I don't know much about. I will need to make friends with some Germans. They do intrigue me.

My thoughts about German stereotypes are mostly these: hard workers, efficiency, quality, cold demeanour (non-emotional), difficult to befriend, suspicious, lovers of nature, objectivists.

Eldritch
03-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Finland changed the sides and turned against Germany while Germans were fighting shoulder to shoulder with Finns...

The most shameful moment in our nation's history, ever. My father's father fought in that war, he always said he was happy to fight the Russkies, but ashamed to have to turn against our comrades in arms.

Germanicus
03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
What can i tell you about Werner, ok he was from Berlin, his family came from a biggish town in Bavaria.
He came to England because he was expelled from Canada for urinating in a public place[very unGerman behaviour?)
He was extremely hard working, his work ethic was similar to my own.
His desire was to live in Los Angeles, [muscle beach) but first he had to earn money and learn English.
English is not hard, but learning English humour is very hard for a German.
Werner was an industrial pipe fitter welder gas and arc, heating engineer, he could find work anywhere just like i can because you cannot find guys like us off the shelf.
He always carried with him a very thick book, this was very important to him, this book was German to English, English to German dictionary. When i swore at him he would look it up and repeat the word then say it in German, "ja ja" he would say.
Werner adapted very well in our tight unit of men working on contracts around Milton Keynes in the 80s.
Taking Werner under my wing was an insight for me, he was very polite in cicumstances, in others he was bullish.
For instance, he once told me he hated the formality of being a German, to which i asked him to give me an example, he replied, "in Germany, if my Foreman was giving me a bollocking i would stand to attention and click my heels, here in England if our foreman gave me a bollocking i would not!"
That was a mistake on his part because i actually saw him click his heels at attention when being talked to by the Foreman.
Werner and i socialised and i became quite used to his mannerisms, but one thing shone through very clearly, a German when he sets his mind to, nothing will stop him doing it.

Liffrea
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
You can't say much bad about a nation that produces men like Bach and Beethoven (never really developed an ear for Wagner though)...

Bach Brandenburg Concerto Number 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9qWpa2rIg

Beethoven Opus 131 (strings):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8wdpfkpM0

Anyone remember this scene from Band of Brothers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUKha9L9AM&feature=related

an amazing piece of symbolism.

Brynhild
03-12-2010, 06:05 AM
I wish this was an easy question to answer. I voted 2, but my views are somewhat complex.

I am a baby boomer, and WWII was still fresh in the minds of my father's generation. Anti-sentiment in Australia reached the level that forced Germans to change their names, to avoid retribution. Towns that had German names were also changed. I'm afraid I still can't get past that megolamaniac of a Fuhrer who brought ultimate ruin to an otherwise great country and its people.

As a Heathen the sacred symbols were abused by some members of the Nazi party, but those members made bloody sure of the fact that Heathenry - as a serious religion - had been set back for many years. I'll never be able to work with that swastika, despite knowing what the symbol stands for. I grew up knowing that it was a symbol of hatred, and those habits are hard to break.

That's it for the negative. The Germans I've met (they are the 4th largest group of migrants who came to Australia) can be a bit standoffish at first, and people would perceive them to be arrogant. Once those barriers come down, though, they're friendly and their humour tends to be very dry, black at times. They're well renowned even in these parts for being very hard working, industrious and family oriented.

I studied German in High School and I always had a fascination for the old architecture, its history, culture and its people. I love German food and one of the festivities I always wanted to partake is Oktoberfest, and so does my oldest son. We both want to taste the German beer. :D

I've recently discovered that I have German ancestry on my father's side, but before even knowing that, there has always been a want of mine to explore Northern Germany. Apparently, that's where my lineage comes from.

On the whole, my views are generally positive.

Tabiti
03-12-2010, 06:14 AM
I totally can't understand it when people connect Germans with the Nazi regime, even if their countries were on the same side during WWII (like it was here). First, not all Germans were members of NSDAP/SA/SS and so on, second Nazism is no worse then Bolshevism.

cold demeanour (non-emotional), difficult to befriend, suspicious, lovers of nature, objectivists.
That are exactly some qualities I like. As a matter of fact, it strongly depends on the person which certain features he'd accept as advantages and which as disadvantages. Many people today prefer more friendly and warm personalities, however you can't never know what is in behind, until you don't get your fingers burnt.

John in Denver
03-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Being a descendant of Italy and racially conscious it would be impossible for me to say anything negative about them in the greater whole.

I voted #1 because i know they're an asset and many people benefit from them. I'm familiar with a few of their flaws but they're minor and tolerable.

poiuytrewq0987
03-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Being a descendant of Italy and racially conscious it would be impossible for me to say anything negative about them in the greater whole.

I voted #1 because i know they're an asset and many people benefit from them. I'm familiar with a few of their flaws but they're minor and tolerable.

Now Italians are classified Germanics? :D

Saruman
03-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Well my first contact with Germans came through the old yugoslav partisan movies when I was small. Though the Germans were presented in those as bad guys I liked their Stahlhelms and uniforms and since I usually like the villains well... those movies had opposite effect on me than was intended. :D So yes, the association with Hitler was there, much later I talked to one German, and when I casually mentioned Austria, he interrupted me and said "Hitler was Austrian".
When I think of Germans I think of strength, order, hard-work, efficiency. I do like them. I was learning their language and it's not an easy one but I think I've mastered it pretty much. And though I'm from balkan I have a first name which is rather German.:D

John in Denver
03-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Now Italians are classified Germanics? :D

I didn't say that unless your referring to my profile description. Italians from the north are definitely Germanic types, they look and think like them.

Zyklop
03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Italians from the north are definitely Germanic types, they look and think like them.
How do you define this?

hajduk
03-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I didn't say that unless your referring to my profile description. Italians from the north are definitely Germanic types, they look and think like them.

Really? The biggest contrast I've seen is between the extreme south and the extreme north.

Murphy
03-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Hitler.

Bari
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM

First thing i think of is Oktoberfest/Heineken and actress Alexandra Maria Lara.

Well, i have not much experience with Germans as people so my impression of them as a people is limited, though still ill give my 2 cents on this matter.

What i like about Germany is their history(Bismarck, Empereror Frederick I Barbarossa reign), quality products(Mercedes, working tools,...) basically i have the perception that any product made in Germany is 100% top quality, and German beer is the best available on the market i would dare say.

Anything negative? Germanys future due to mass-immigration and muslim influence.

As for Germans as people my experience is mixed.

Some seem to fit the negative stereotype of being not easy to deal with/understand, uptight/not easy to get to know, acting with a militant like dicipline, lacking/not able to grasp humor besides their own, and also appears to be easily stressed and frustrated(work-related).

On the other hand other Germans i have met have been open, positive/smiling, had a good sense of humor and been easy to socialize with.
So easy conclusion here is that not all are the same, some are easy going others not. All countries have their own negative stereotypes that some fit and others not.

Overall impression is that they are hard-working/higlhy skilled and reliable people, straight-forward talking, though appearing a bit strict/cold and almost suspicious like. Though my perspective is not a Germanic one, so much of what i might find negative might just be cultural/mentality differences that are differing in various parts of Europe. So conclusion is positive.

Klärchen
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Hitler.
But I am not Hitler, Aequoreus! :eek:

First thing i think of is Oktoberfest/Heineken and actress Alexandra Maria Lara.
Alexandra Maria Lara is originally Romanian. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Maria_Lara

Wulfhere
03-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I can't understand this thing about German beer that people have brought up. German beer is lager, which isn't even beer at all. And that's all it is, just different types of lager.

Crux
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I like them a lot. A lot of our foklore artists play in their lands and vice versa. Nice mountain folk, I never really saw them as tense. The typical Slovene stereotype is a relaxed shepard boy lying on top of a grassy hill with that ''thing'' (don't know what it's called :p) in his mouth and wearing a hat ofcourse :D ,I don't think that the German image strays too far from that but what the heck do I know...

Treffie
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I've known 4 Germans, 2 were great, the other 2 were complete idiots, so I'll reserve judgement. People are the same everywhere, some British people are great and some British people are assholes. I can't say that I've viewed an entire ethnic group with absolute fondness.

Much of the older generation in Britain though will always see Germany and Germans with suspicion and distrust.

Murphy
03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
But I am not Hitler, Aequoreus! :eek:

I know my dear Klarky. But the first thing that comes to mind when someone says 'Germany' I think 'Hitler'. After that comes 'Bismark' usually in conjunction with '.. that bastard'.

Anthropos
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
I know my dear Klarky. But the first thing that comes to mind when someone says 'Germany' I think 'Hitler'. After that comes 'Bismark' usually in conjunction with '.. that bastard'.
Maybe that's because you used to have a big Germania flag on your wall. :)

Germanicus
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM

Yes Papist Germany was hood winked by a mad National Socialist, move on if you can and embrace the new democratic German, there is a different world outside your Glaswegian council house mentality?

Murphy
03-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes Papist Germany was hood winked by a mad National Socialist, move on if you can and embrace the new democratic German, there is a different world outside your Glaswegian council house mentality?

I am curious as to why you feel the need to follow every post I make? The majority of which your replies seem to contain nothing but snide and immature comments. Oh well, I guess it is too much to hope you may grow up any time soon, you've had enough years to try already.

Regardless, I am being honest.. and I am sure I am not alone. When I think 'Germany' I think 'Hitler'. Do not blame me.

Murphy
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Maybe that's because you used to have a big Germania flag on your wall. :)

Perhaps :D!

Germanicus
03-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I am curious as to why you feel the need to follow every post I make? The majority of which your replies seem to contain nothing but snide and immature comments. Oh well, I guess it is too much to hope you may grow up any time soon, you've had enough years to try already.

Regardless, I am being honest.. and I am sure I am not alone. When I think 'Germany' I think 'Hitler'. Do not blame me.

Seriously... i only reply to your posts when i feel you need putting down, you do run off at the mouth over things you feel you have a certain expertese of, which you do not....ok Jimmy...:thumb001:

Beorn
03-12-2010, 10:21 PM
When I think 'Germany' I think 'Hitler'. Do not blame me.

You ain't alone. :)

It isn't a bad thing of course. On the forums we frequent it seems the vast majority of Germans are pro-Hitler yet whinge when word association brings this whole era up :confused:

As for me, when I think of Germans and Germany, I think of my Aunt and Auschwitz. I think of my Uncle Bill travelling to Germany and beign received like a long lost son by the Bavarians he rented off. I think of my Father's tales of his pen pal he visited on a school swap in Germany who, again, treated him with the greatest of love and affection. I think of the times (not many mind) I have met German women and enjoyed their lighthearted and jovial, but very sexually reseved personalities. I have enjoyed watching Germany demolish the greatest football teams ever, ever tipped for the finals...ever, and have rejoiced as a child as the big, strange Berlin Wall fell.

Germans are a cousin. A strange cousin who is good to pick on from time to time, but more or less a cousin one would be proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with in any given scrape. :thumb001:

Murphy
03-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Seriously... i only reply to your posts when i feel you need putting down, you do run off at the mouth over things you feel you have a certain expertese of, which you do not....ok Jimmy...:thumb001:

And you my dear Germanicus feel you have a divine right to "put me down" as it were? I am curious. This thread is titled 'Your view about Germans and Germany?'... I am generally curious, but surely none could surpass my self in telling what exactly pops into my head when I think 'Germans/Germany'?

Or is there a University course where one can study for their Masters degree in what is going on in Papist's head? If so, then I shall concede your point that perhaps my expertise in this area may not stand up to some others.

Germanicus
03-12-2010, 10:33 PM
And you my dear Germanicus feel you have a divine right to "put me down" as it were? I am curious. This thread is titled 'Your view about Germans and Germany?'... I am generally curious, but surely none could surpass my self in telling what exactly pops into my head when I think 'Germans/Germany'?

Or is there a University course where one can study for their Masters degree in what is going on in Papist's head? If so, then I shall concede your point that perhaps my expertise in this area may not stand up to some others.

Originally Posted by Aequoreus

You contadict yourself, is this not what you have self revealed about what you think of Germans? i need no masters degree to read your posts?

With my own post about my thoughts are there to read, i have genuine experience of a Germans, you it seems only post about what you have watched on your precious sky movie channel.
My own views of you are that you haven't even left Glasgow yet so you have no opinion?

Murphy
03-12-2010, 10:41 PM
You contadict yourself, is this not what you have self revealed about what you think of Germans? i need no masters degree to read your posts?

With my own post about my thoughts are there to read, i have genuine experience of a Germans, you it seems only post about what you have watched on your precious sky movie channel.
My own views of you are that you haven't even left Glasgow yet so you have no opinion?

Ah, this is rather a misunderstanding of your post on my part. Well yes Germanicus, I am working on a rather limited experience in regards to my interaction with Germans.

I never claimed otherwise, nor did I claim to know everything about Germans and Germany. I simply stated a fact. You may dislike that fact, dislike it until your heart's content my friend. It doesn't change anything. Perhaps one day Hitler wont be the first thing to pop into my mind when I think of Germany, but for the time being, he does.

As to leaving Glasgow.. believe all you want. Your opinion matters.. why again? You seem to think you deserve the respect one would offer a wise and sagely old grandfather, though I have no idea how that can be remotely applied to you. You have an aura of a bullyboy who grew up in the 70s beating people up to look hard in front of your friends. Hardly respectable.

Germanicus
03-12-2010, 10:58 PM
You seem to think you deserve the respect one would offer a wise and sagely old grandfather, though I have no idea how that can be remotely applied to you. You have an aura of a bullyboy who grew up in the 70s beating people up to look hard in front of your friends. Hardly respectable.

Ha ha ha you could'nt be further from the truth Papist... you are a very shallow fellow, my views are adult, informed, presentable, well thought out.
The only bullying iv'e ever done to another person is in a dojo, and i had my arse smacked a few times for my effort.
A dinosaur i must be to you, this is a product of how time alters young peoples idea's of how the world once was, i still see it for what it is, you however have to learn what it is...ps, i am not a grandfather yet...:)

Pallantides
03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
On the forums we frequent it seems the vast majority of Germans are pro-Hitler

Then it seems the older guard of Norwegians are right in their dislike and distrust for Germans.

hereward
03-12-2010, 11:30 PM
We've been allies before we've been enemies. The two World Wars do not shape my view on life. Have a mild like for them, in contrast to most nations,I neither like nor loathe. For every Hitler, I can think of a von Blucher. Irregardless of who I like, when it comes to the European Union, I would reather see Europe ablaze.

Anthropos
03-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Then it seems the older guard of Norwegians are right in their dislike and distrust for Germans.People on fora frequented by some people do not represent the nation very well, you know. Don't believe such shit about most Germans being Hitlerist, that's rubbish I think.

Beorn
03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Don't believe such shit about most Germans being Hitlerist, that's rubbish I think.

That's true. It seems most are to busy bending over sucking cock to realise who Hitler actually was. :swl

Wulfhere
03-12-2010, 11:43 PM
That's true. It seems most are to busy bending over sucking cock to realise who Hitler actually was. :swl

Just one of the latest in a very long line of jumped up little foreigners who have tried to invade the British Isles - to their cost?

poiuytrewq0987
03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Just one of the latest in a very long line of jumped up little foreigners who have tried to invade the British Isles - to their cost?

You guys already have been conquered many hundreds years ago. Did you forget about the Normans who gave you guys an ass whooping? That's why Hitler didn't mount a land invasion of Britain - because you guys were already conquered. ;)

Wulfhere
03-12-2010, 11:48 PM
You guys already have been conquered many hundreds years ago. Did you forget about the Normans who gave you guys an ass whooping? That's why Hitler didn't mount a land invasion of Britain - because you guys were already conquered. ;)

I think you'll find that that happened in 1066. Name one other country that has held out that long against invasion, occupation or whatever.

hereward
03-12-2010, 11:48 PM

Bilo, could you please tell me what your fascination is with my country.

Beorn
03-12-2010, 11:51 PM

YAWN!

We fought off one invasion and were narrowly defeated by another in a matter of days.

The bastard was lucky in being an evil individual and letting his army rape and murder the local population.

Any lesser man would have stood by and let it happen. King Harold didn't. :thumb001:

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Bilo, could you please tell me what your fascination is with my country.

Can't I be?

hereward
03-13-2010, 12:12 AM
What you choose to do is your own business, I only ask, in this instance, why.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 12:27 AM
What you choose to do is your own business, I only ask, in this instance, why.

I make myself interested in matters I find interesting, it's simple as that. :thumb001:

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 12:27 AM
This is also one of the reasons why I love Germany... and Hitler. :D

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-english/world-news/2009/09/09/hitler-aids-controversy/should-video-advert-be-allowed.html

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 12:48 AM
YAWN!

We fought off one invasion and were narrowly defeated by another in a matter of days.

The bastard was lucky in being an evil individual and letting his army rape and murder the local population.

Any lesser man would have stood by and let it happen. King Harold didn't. :thumb001:

The Norman Conquest was a pivotal event in English history for several reasons. It largely removed the native ruling class, replacing it with a foreign, French-speaking monarchy, aristocracy, and clerical hierarchy. This, in turn, brought about a transformation of the English language and the culture of England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_England

Wulfhere
03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
But you're missing the point, Void. The Norman Conquest was a terrible thing, but since then England has been free of invasion or foreign occupation for nearly a thousand years. No other country can come anywhere near that unbroken record.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
But you're missing the point, Void. The Norman Conquest was a terrible thing, but since then England has been free of invasion or foreign occupation for nearly a thousand years. No other country can come anywhere near that unbroken record.

No, you're. My point is that you guys have already been conquered.

Beorn
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM

I'd say the enforced Scottish union which made England and Scotland Great Britain could count as an invasion.

Wulfhere
03-13-2010, 12:53 AM
No, you're. My point is that you guys have already been conquered.

So has everyone else, much more recently. England has been free of foreign conquest for a millennium. Have you?

Wulfhere
03-13-2010, 12:54 AM
I'd say the enforced Scottish union which made England and Scotland Great Britain could count as an invasion.

Of Scotland, yes. But obviously not of England, since it was the English who forced the union on Scotland.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 12:55 AM
So has everyone else, much more recently. England has been free of foreign conquest for a millennium. Have you?

Hmm, have you been in London lately?

http://www.samizdata.net/%7Epdeh/ProSaddamMarch_manyarabs_0013_low.jpghttp://www.greatdreams.com/political/london4.jpg

Wulfhere
03-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Hmm, have you been in London lately?

http://www.samizdata.net/%7Epdeh/ProSaddamMarch_manyarabs_0013_low.jpghttp://www.greatdreams.com/political/london4.jpg

No, I can't stand London. Their conquest has yet to be successful, and nor will it be.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 12:57 AM
No, I can't stand London. Their conquest has yet to be successful, and nor will it be.

Sharia court is already available in England, it's certainly in progress.

Beorn
03-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Of Scotland, yes. But obviously not of England, since it was the English who forced the union on Scotland.

It was a Scottish monarch who enforced the unification of our seperate crowns, and it was under a Scottish monarch, with scottish monetary persuasion (indirectly, it has to be said) that lead to the creation of the Union. Yet it is us 'English bastards' that get it in the ear.

I still laugh at them when they spout off about the Poll Tax. Who the hell created the damn thing and rolled Maggie to implement it?

Letters on a postcard. Address: Fucking English bastards!!!!!!!!!

Wulfhere
03-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Sharia court is already available in England, it's certainly in progress.

Yes, you're right. But the English, when pushed into a corner, will fight to the death. They haven't been pushed enough - yet. But that time is fast approaching.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Yes, you're right. But the English, when pushed into a corner, will fight to the death. They haven't been pushed enough - yet. But that time is fast approaching.

Well, it's certainly going to be tough now since there are already 5 million non-Europeans in the UK with no end in sight. How is the BNP doing these days by the way?

Wulfhere
It was a Scottish monarch who enforced the unification of our seperate crowns, and it was under a Scottish monarch, with scottish monetary persuasion (indirectly, it has to be said) that lead to the creation of the Union. Yet it is us 'English bastards' that get it in the ear.

I still laugh at them when they spout off about the Poll Tax. Who the hell created the damn thing and rolled Maggie to implement it?

Letters on a postcard. Address: Fucking English bastards!!!!!!!!!

The union of the crowns in 1603 wasn't enforced. The union of parliaments in 1707 was brought about by the English, to ensure the Hanoverian succession in Scotland (which had made noises about opting out - rather foolishly).

Wulfhere
Well, it's certainly going to be tough now since there are already 5 million non-Europeans in the UK with no end in sight. How is the BNP doing these days by the way?

The BNP is doing rather well, it seems.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 01:06 AM
The BNP is doing rather well, it seems.

I gather you've not read this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/bnp/7429614/BNP-barred-from-taking-new-members.html) news yet?

Beorn
03-13-2010, 01:08 AM
The union of the crowns in 1603 wasn't enforced.

So a Scottish king combines the crowns at great outcry of the people, and this is not an enforced creation in your eyes?

The union of parliaments in 1707 was brought about by the English

It was brought about by the haggling of Scottish parliament members with, of course, help by willing English parliament members.

The Scottish had had many an attempt in the past at creating a union. It was only under this Scottish monarch that it became a reality.

Quoting me:

Whilst James I/VI was on the throne, he partook in a virulent attempt to rightfully disconnect the traditional English claims to Scotland's lands and titles, and saw fit to draw up a union which would help promote and cultivate a widespread British identity.

(It was no coincidence that under James, the plantations of Ireland and others dotted around the globe, became primary interest in receiving fresh populations derived from his new quested "British" empire.)

Now, what seems to be left out of many history recitals about this era leading ultimately up to the creation of the British union, was the very strong rejection for this union made by the English parliament of 1607 and 1670.
It is interesting to note that whilst the English were proposing outright to not impose the British Union, the Scottish parliament of 1641 and 1643 saw fit to usher and vote in for a federative unions, which would have still given the Scots their political independence, but kept them in a union to reap the benefits of England's economic glory. (Rings true today, huh? )

Let's forget Oliver Cromwell, because the man was clearly possessed by something other than the true word of God, and the man was both a saint of England and a devil to Ireland.

*cough* Right! Let's skip forward.

In 1664 and 1668, the Scottish parliament attempted again to instigate the union once more with the replacement of a Stuart monarch, but it was refused the time and space by the English parliament.

The next time was in 1674 and 1685, this time considered by the English parliament. It was unsuccessful and was returned to the drawing board once more. The Scottish would not have their federative union this time.

To cut the rest of this story short, it was only upon the arrival of a certain asthmatic Dutchman that the Union started to become an actual forsure conclusion, and with the succession of Queen Anne, the motion was once more considered with venom.

The rest is well known, I'm sure.

Guapo
03-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Hard working people. No wonder thousands of Saxons settled in Serbia and were Serbianized to work in the mines. That's tough work, mann.

Puddle of Mudd
03-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Probably the nation with the most unattractive-sounding language ON EARTH. It sounds like a typewriter eating tinfoil being kicked down a flight of stairs.

Wulfhere
03-13-2010, 08:08 AM
I gather you've not read this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/bnp/7429614/BNP-barred-from-taking-new-members.html) news yet?

Presumably you havn't heard this news yet http://bnp.org.uk/

Wulfhere
03-13-2010, 08:12 AM
So a Scottish king combines the crowns at great outcry of the people, and this is not an enforced creation in your eyes?

It was brought about by the haggling of Scottish parliament members with, of course, help by willing English parliament members.

The Scottish had had many an attempt in the past at creating a union. It was only under this Scottish monarch that it became a reality.

The union of 1707 was forced on the Scots by closing the border to trade, bullying, and bribery of their rulers. It was done to ensure the Hanoverian succession in Scotland as already decided by England in 1701, and agreed by Queen Anne (who, although herself a Stuart, supported the exclusion of her father and his other descendants from the throne).

Eldritch
03-13-2010, 08:37 AM
The Post-Imperial Hangover Syndrome is a terrible thing.

The Ripper
03-13-2010, 08:52 AM
The Post-Imperial Hangover Syndrome is a terrible thing.

Coupled with New Age Spirituality and British Israelism, it can be quite funny. :D

Freomæg
03-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Don't have time to read the whole thread, but yeah, I like Germans and Germany. In fact, I've always felt more of an affinity with Germany than Holland, despite one half of my family being Dutch. The language comes easier to me, I've probably seen more of it and I'd be far more inclined to live there than Holland. Nothing against the fine Dutch people, but I couldn't live in such a flat country ;).

Germany is (or should be) a beautiful place. I particularly like the Bavarian region. My cousins grew up in Germany and my family visited there often when I was younger. I think I had some quite life-changing experiences there - such as a climb up a snow-covered mountain near Frankfurt one winter's day. The memory of that place is etched into my mind and always will be.

Lithium
03-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I like them.. the tourists from Germany here are nice and interesting.
:]

Arrow Cross
03-14-2010, 03:52 AM
1945 had been a great and sorrowful milestone for both the German people, and mine.

Before that date, despite all the occasional clashes, rivalry, feuds and hostilities, our peoples coexisted and shaped Christian Middle Europe together, standing united against all hordes of the pagan, godless, or moon-worshipper.
Germans had been a leading folk in terms of a magnificently wide array of cultural achievements and I deeply respect the old, Prussian style of Protestant discipline, self-control and vigilant militarism.

After that date, the occupying armies of the International Jew and its lackeys made a very strict and careful work to destroy as much of this proud heritage as possible, in order to best integrate them into the forming consumerist slave world.
Today, once-famous German law, contemporary culture, public life are all a bad joke, a perverted mockery of this once glorious nation. This nation certainly isn't unique in this development, but its fall has been so rapid and so violent it's truly a tragedy.

Still... hope dies last.

Guapo
03-14-2010, 04:21 AM
1945 had been a great and sorrowful milestone for both the German people, and mine.

Before that date, despite all the occasional clashes, rivalry, feuds and hostilities, our peoples coexisted and shaped Christian Middle Europe together, standing united against all hordes of the pagan, godless, or moon-worshipper.
Germans had been a leading folk in terms of a magnificently wide array of cultural achievements and I deeply respect the old, Prussian style of Protestant discipline, self-control and vigilant militarism.

After that date, the occupying armies of the International Jew and its lackeys made a very strict and careful work to destroy as much of this proud heritage as possible, in order to best integrate them into the forming consumerist slave world.
Today, once-famous German law, contemporary culture, public life are all a bad joke, a perverted mockery of this once glorious nation. This nation certainly isn't unique in this development, but its fall has been so rapid and so violent it's truly a tragedy.

Still... hope dies last.

That's all history now. Majority of Germans will never accept National Socialism again.

Stefan
03-14-2010, 04:37 AM
I never met any Germans, but those of you online give me a good impression. :)

poiuytrewq0987
03-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Terrifying Efficiency

Public Transport is almost always on time in Germany, and if you agree to meet some friends at eight o'clock, they will be annoyed if you stagger in at nine with an impish grin on your face saying you got lost between the bierkeller and the bus stop. On the other hand, Germany has a government and is part of the EU, so half a point each. Stereotype 4 Political Correctness 3

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/wc2006/culture/stereotypes.html
This is a quality I somewhat share. I'm always punctual to events, I mean I always get there right on the dot. And it always annoys me whenever my friends are late. :coffee: Another reason to like Germans. :D

Smaland
03-14-2010, 05:39 AM
I like and respect Germans. Even though I can't understand a word of it (unfortunately), I like the sound of spoken German. :)

poiuytrewq0987
03-14-2010, 06:16 AM
I like and respect Germans. Even though I can't understand a word of it (unfortunately), I like the sound of spoken German. :)

Hope isn't yet lost, go to livemocha.com and start taking courses in German for free. :thumbs up

The Lawspeaker
03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
The Germans. First of all they are our neighbors and we know each other thoroughly. If we put in a little bit more effort we can understand each other while both speaking our own language.

The Germans.. it would be fair to call the 20th century (just as much as the 17th century) their absolute nadir. Anything that could go wrong for them.. did go wrong. In less then a century more then 15 million Germans were killed: World War I, the 20's Allied-inflicted famine, the Hitler regime, World War II, the occupations and expulsions, the Allied puppet regimes (one lasts to this very day) one of which introduced multiculturalism.
More then 15 million victims. More then fell during the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) which number of casualties has been estimated to reach anywhere between 3 and 9 million.
The Germans did a lot of terrible things in both World Wars but it is evident that both World Wars were provoked. The first by Serbia which damn well knew what forces were at work and the second by Britain, Italy, the United States and most of all France in 1919. And more so by Poland with it's early ideas of conquering Eastern Germany.. with plans established in 1930. And if their wouldn't have been a Versailles Treaty.. there would never have been a Hitler because frankly Hitler's entire reign went in against German political and social traditions.

The Germans are a very orderly race. They are not known for their friendliness and hospitality.. until you get to know them better. Their national watchword seems to be "Ordnung muss Sein" (There has to be order). What the German does he does well.. with a typical grundlichkeit (may it be for good or for bad). You only need to look at the architectural, cultural, social and (most visible of all) technical innovations to see the evidence of it. You can follow the line of Kant and Schiller to the economic powerhouses located on the river Rhine and in the Netherlands German products have a very good name ("Duitse degelijkheid" - German reliability). So in that sense I feel an admiration for the Germans. It will be very difficult not to know any German products.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Porsche_Panamera_Back_View.jpg

ANB-yZIJP6o

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Juwi_PV_Field.jpg

Today I see a decline in German culture. Good.. Berlin and Dresden may be under reconstruction but German culture is being hollowed out. When I went to the Czech Republic via Germany it shocked me how poorly maintained parts of the country were in both East and West. This is not the meticulous German. Something else is going here. Decline.

Nationalitist
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't like Germans for various reasons.

SwordoftheVistula
03-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Spelling Nazis got to ya?

Nationalitist
03-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Spelling Nazis got to ya?

No, but because their sausages suck.

Amapola
03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I have always been more Anglophile than Germanophile and I don't know them as much as I know the English. However I keep a positive image about them in my mind.

Hrolf Kraki
03-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Germans make the best sausage. But even if they didn't, that's no reason to dislike them.

The Ripper
03-15-2010, 02:54 PM

It is teh victim mentality.

Nationalitist
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
It is teh victim mentality.

Simple statement of dislike is sign of teh victim mentality? LOL

Dislike of German sausages is victimhood? :D

Seriously, Routasydän, you are starting to behave like a lowbrow addict and provoker.

The Ripper
03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Simple statement of dislike is sign of teh victim mentality? LOL

Dislike of German sausages is victimhood? :D
I can only imagine teh horrors of teh Nazi Sausages.

Seriously, Routasydän, you are starting to behave like a lowbrow addict and provoker.

There's a saying here that roughly translated goes like this: One becomes like the company one keeps. ;)

Arrow Cross
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
They were made from J00ish flesh! It'z teh tr00 story!!!!1

Svanhild
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
They were made from J00ish flesh! It'z teh tr00 story!!!!1
And our lamp shades too! :cool:

anonymaus
03-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I voted "1" based solely on the cleanliness of my apartment and how good I look in a well tailored suit.

What?

Arrow Cross
03-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Und, und... don't forget teh Kriegsmarine Standard Issue Stockings! Right out of J00ish hair! Oy veey! Anyone who doesn't vote Six (Million™) is an Auntie-Semite!

Nationalitist
03-16-2010, 04:34 AM

The German sausage I ate the other day caused pains in my stomach because it had too many chemical preservatives in it. Must be teh nazi sausage.

Svanhild
03-16-2010, 05:53 PM
The German sausage I ate the other day caused pains in my stomach because it had too many chemical preservatives in it. Must be teh nazi sausage.
If it's too strong you're too weak. :cool:

Wotan88
03-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't have anything against Germans. To be honest, I have even few friends there. I apreciate German nation and it's achievements. But I hate, when some Germans have very negative attitude towards Poles. Especially with this whole "Grossdeutschland" shit about getting Silesia and Prussia back and such.

To sum it up - I like majority of Germans, but I hate chauvinists.

Eldritch
03-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Don't forget the soap made out of the j00z's fat.

The Lawspeaker
03-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't have anything against Germans. To be honest, I have even few friends there. I apreciate German nation and it's achievements. But I hate, when some Germans have very negative attitude towards Poles. Especially with this whole "Grossdeutschland" shit about getting Silesia and Prussia back and such.

What part of my noble province are you currently residing in, Wotan ?

poiuytrewq0987
03-17-2010, 12:31 AM

You don't have to worry about it. We just need to create a military alliance similar to the NATO except membership is exclusive to Slavic states. That should provide a good deterrent against the Germans. ;)

Arne
03-17-2010, 12:38 AM

Does that mean you support Russia and you ´re willingly against claiming land for Germany.

Grumpy Cat
03-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Germans are humans. Feelings are neutral towards them. Met some who were very nice, met some who were assholes. They're like everyone else on Earth.

Wotan88
03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Well, I mean radical nationalists like NPD for example. I don't have anything against nationalism, to be honest, I am nationalist myself, but what NPD is doing, is negative nationalism. And their views aren't even based on logic.

They say, that they shouldn't feel guilty because of Second World War, because they were not living in that times, they are not responsible for anything bad and they will not apologize for being German. It's a very good view and I agree with it. But they fail to adapt this for countries other than Germany. If they treat themselves in that way, other countries also should be treaten in that way.

But they continously yell about "bad Polacks", who "stole their land" and "were brutally resettling German people".

1) We haven't "stolen" any land. Mr. Stalin, Churchill & Roosevelt were ones, who decided about post-war borders. They stole our eastern Poland and they gave us some eastern German lands instead. It wasn't our decision and most NPD lovers forget about that.

2) NPD says that one shouldn't feel guilt, for what his/her ancestors did and that German folk shouldn't apologize for being German. As I said before, I completely agree with that. But am I responsible for resettling Germans from East Prussia or so? Stalin's henchmen were doing that, my parent weren't even living in those years. My grandparents were children at that time. So how should I feel guilt for those actions?

They also exaggerate "Polish crimes". Of course, we weren't angels at war and I am embarassed that some excesses were going on but Germans weren't angels either. To be exact, they commited many crimes such as killing Polish intelligentsia (my uncle was killed because he was teacher), using Polish people as cheap labour and so on. As I said, I don't want to come back to that times, I think our nations should live peacefully. But I hate those bastards who still live in 1939 and cannot see today's problems such as multiculturalism, mass-immigration, islamization of Europe.

To sum it up - positive nationalism: YES; negative nationalism: NO!

3) They claim that f.e. Silesia is 100% German land. But was it? Now it's Polish, before it was German, but what was even earlier? Before it was Czech region. Even before it was Polish. Before it was Polish, it was part of Great Moravian state and so on.

You get, what I want to tell? Borders change and we must accept that. If we would follow such sick ideology, then we should demand large parts of present-day eastern Germany. Why? Slavonic tribes were living there after all. Where does Arkona lie? In Germany. It was centre of Slavonic cult. Claiming large parts of Germany to be Polish sound ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous, as German claims for Silesia, Prussia and Pomerania.

Don't get me wrong, I like German people, at least most of them. But I hate people living by old-time (1939) prejudices. Not if I am politically correct or something. I'm quite radical nationalist/racialist, somewhat connected with NS movement. But if European countries will not start to cooperate, we will see it's fall very soon.

Svanhild
03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
You don't have to worry about it. We just need to create a military alliance similar to the NATO except membership is exclusive to Slavic states. That should provide a good deterrent against the Germans. ;)
I'm afraid that you guys wrecked your last try. The Warsaw Pact. :wink

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/history/worlds/images/map11_3.jpg

The Khagan
03-17-2010, 04:56 PM
I do not generalize, as all peoples have their merits and downfalls.

I like Germans, I suppose. Their contribution to literature, music, art and science is so profound it's hard to imagine Western thought without their input.

Arrow Cross
03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
You get, what I want to tell? Borders change and we must accept that.
Not if these changes are unjust, going against historical and natural order, and are orchestrated by the lackeys of the International Jew.

Versailles/Trianon was such a border-change, and it wrecked the lives of millions of people suddenly becoming foreigners on their own ancient land. The Paris Treaty of 1947 was not any different.

Wotan88
03-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I like Germans, I suppose. Their contribution to literature, music, art and science is so profound it's hard to imagine Western thought without their input.

I agree.

Not if these changes are unjust, going against historical and natural order, and are orchestrated by the lackeys of the International Jew.

Versailles/Trianon was such a border-change, and it wrecked the lives of millions of people suddenly becoming foreigners on their own ancient land. The Paris Treaty of 1947 was not any different.

:rolleyes2:
Short question for you: where does Arkona lie? It was "ancient Slavonic soil" from which Slavs were "brutally pushed eastward" (using revisionist rhetoric). Word "ancient land" was badly used here, my friend.

Another thing - everyone is talking about "German" Silesia and so on, but who talks about eastern Poland which was stolen by Soviets? No one. It seems that in the so called "WP movement" being friends with Poles is not fashionable anymore, but supporting ridiculous territorial claims by some German radicals is cool and okay.

Sorry for how my post "sounds" but it's very emotional thing for me.

What solution do you propose? Maybe annecting whole Poland by Germany and ressetling filthy Polacks behind the Urals? Or maybe recovering 1939 borders (which is actually fine for me, because we had eastern lands which were stolen by soviets; but I don't hate Ukrainians and Belarussians, they are not responsible for "stealing" these lands and I reccomend to my NPD "brothers" to have same attitude)?

Again sorry for unpleasant undertone of my post but I don't get this whole revisionist thing and I don't see any solution.

Imagine a situation, where Germany gets their lands back. Then Poland gets it's eastern lands back. Now Ukrainians and Belarussians will not have their living space. What will they do? "Steal" lands from Russia?

Arrow Cross
03-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't propose a solution, as I'm not well-versed enough in that territorial conflict, but revisionism in many parts of Europe cannot be brushed aside as outdated or unimportant. It's still a pressing matter that needs to be attended to and resolved... this time, much preferably without bloodshed.

Wotan88
03-17-2010, 07:44 PM
But you talk about Germany. But what about Poland? If Germans want to get their "eastern lands" then what about Polish east. Should we get back Lwów and so forth? Please be consistent: if Germans are treated that way, then rest of Europeans should also. Or you give some special privileges to Germans...

The Ripper
03-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Says Wotan Heil Hitler. :D

Wotan88
03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Well, first of all:

1) it's "NS folklore" to use numbers like 88 or 14 as designation, I should be idiot to accept everything Hitler did,

2) It can also mean Thor's Hammer, 88 Percepts of David Lane and so on,

3) Like Adam from Konkwista 88 said: "This whole 88 thing - it's more like anti-political correctnes slogan".

Anyway, being NS doesn't mean that I am germanophile. I am just defending interests of my nation (oh, how proud it sounds :)) here.

And let's end this "88" and "land revisionism" discussion, there is nothing further to talk about. But before that, I just want to hear, what Arrow Cross has to say about Polish east.

Arrow Cross
03-17-2010, 09:26 PM
But you talk about Germany. But what about Poland? If Germans want to get their "eastern lands" then what about Polish east. Should we get back Lwów and so forth? Please be consistent: if Germans are treated that way, then rest of Europeans should also. Or you give some special privileges to Germans...
No, I wasn't mentioning the German-Polish dispute specifically, I was merely pointing out the near-unprecedented injustice in the so-called "peace treaties" in the XXth Century. The case isn't closed.

I don't know enough about the situation in the Polish East, but if the lands in subject are inhabited by a considerable amount of Poles, and/or have been a part of Poland's historical lands, then they could indeed be subject to revision.

One thing is for sure though, both ways: borders aren't sacred law. They've been changing enough in history, and will keep changing, much like the peoples living along them.

Wotan88
03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
No, I wasn't mentioning the German-Polish dispute specifically, I was merely pointing out the near-unprecenended injustice in the so-called "peace treaties" in the XXth Century. The case isn't closed.

Sure, I can agree with that. But on the other hand we must remember that not only Germany suffered from that. Okay - we got that Silesia and so on, but we have lost large parts of historical Poland in the east.

I don't know enough about the situation in the Polish East, but if the lands in subject are inhabited by a considerable amount of Poles, and/or have been a part of Poland's historical lands, then they could indeed be subject to revision.

There is a Polish minority living there and these lands were part of historical Great Poland. To be honest, Lwów (which is Ukrainian now) was centre of Polish culture.

If you don't know about Polish east situation, then I'll tell you. When war was started, Poland was attacked from two sides by both Germany and Soviet Union. Soviet Union occupied eastern part, while Germany western part. After defeat of Germany, western Poland and eastern Germany were in soviet influence. After war, Stalin refused to give back eastern Poland but he agreed to give some of German lands instead (Prussia, Silesia). That's why Poland was "moved" westward. After fall of the Soviet Union, eastern Poland belongs to Ukraine and Belarus now. As you can see, going by your logic, these lands should return to Poland as well.

But I can't blame Ukrainians and Belarussians for that. I like those people, they're not to blame for that - Soviets are! That's why I don't want to attack Ukrainian/Belarussian people. The problem is that some NPD-fanatics blame Poles for territorial dispute (while we weren't deciding about new borders) and hate Poles instead of just wanting to change borders. Where is your "no more brothers wars" rule now?

One thing is for sure though, both ways: borders aren't sacred law. They've been changing enough in history, and will keep changing, much like the peoples living along them.

100% agree. That's why I think, that this whole land revisionism is not good and we should really consider keeping the borders, like they are now. So large resettlement are very difficult operations and will bring more loses than advantages.

And last question - lets consider situation, when Germany gets it's east back, Poland gets it's east back. Now what will happen to Belarussians and Ukrainians who don't have living space? That's the biggest problem of this whole dispute in my opinion.

Arrow Cross
03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Where is your "no more brothers wars" rule now?
It doesn't need a war, it needs international conferences, committees, and a long, careful procedure to find the best solutions. I'd say the Vienna Awards before and under WWII were pretty close to this ideal.

100% agree. That's why I think, that this whole land revisionism is not good and we should really consider keeping the borders, like they are now.
Your perspective certainly is understandable, but excuse the children of nations that were mutiliated by 2/3rd of their territory for not quite being content with it. ;)

But let's try not derailing the thread for much longer.

poiuytrewq0987
03-18-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm afraid that you guys wrecked your last try. The Warsaw Pact. :wink

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/history/worlds/images/map11_3.jpg

Well, the Warsaw Pact also included non-Slavic states and some Slavic states weren't included like Yugoslavia. And I'm pretty sure Germany was an occupied state up until 1991 and it still is somewhat since it still uses the Basic Law conjured up by Allied victors after Nazi Germany was defeated. So you guys still have ways to go before your country can be considered a fully-independent nation. The Allied nations screwed your country for the first time in WW1 by shafting you in various areas. That didn't work out so well for them. So basically they just decided it's better to occupy Germany and control their institutions than expect the Germans to listen to the Allied nations' demands. So a Warsaw Pact-like military alliance is not needed today since Germany isn't really independent but when it is, then we will probably need a new Warsaw Pact-like treaty (since Poland isn't really up to par in terms of economy and military compared to Germany today). :D

Smaland
03-18-2010, 01:42 AM
... Six Million™...
Good one. :D

poiuytrewq0987
03-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Good one. :D

Remember it's precisely 6,000,000 not 5,999,999 or 6,000,001.

Lulletje Rozewater
03-18-2010, 08:13 AM
You guys do not understand 88
8=Dutch on top of German Lady
8=German lady on top of Dutch
88=soixante-neuf :p

Turkophagos
03-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Germans lack any basic sense of aesthetics:

http://blogofbad.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/socks1.jpg

hajduk
03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
ok i have a question.
What are Bavarians classified as? dinarid +alpine + nordid?
and i've heard that other Germans sometimes look down on bavarians as 'peasants'. is it true?

Wotan88
03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
As far, as I know, Bavarians are predominately Alpine. At least there is a biggest concentration of Alpine race in Germany.

Osweo
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Uh oh. Guess I'm pretty Germanic, then...
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/940/201003180018.jpg
:thumb001:

Klärchen
03-18-2010, 07:09 PM
ok i have a question.
and i've heard that other Germans sometimes look down on bavarians as 'peasants'. is it true?

Of course not!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvu9pk6ToOw&feature=related)

Svanhild
03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
ok i have a question.
They're everything, from Nordic to Alpine or Dinarid. They have a strong concentration of Alpines and Sub-Nordics.

Wotan88
03-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Judging by that, many Poles seem to have German origin, hehe... ;)

Matritensis
03-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Don't suck their sausages then:D

Germanicus
03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Don't suck their sausages then:D

The average Brit eats 150 Bangers a year...:)

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/Benny_Hill_Eating_abanger.jpg

Amapola
03-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Uh oh. Guess I'm pretty Germanic, then...
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/940/201003180018.jpg
:thumb001:

BUT.............. you won't be any more. :mad:

Osweo
03-19-2010, 10:28 PM
BUT.............. you won't be any more. :mad:

:cry

We shall see about that, though. We shall see... Mwahahahahaaa!

Svanhild
03-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Don't cry Osweo. Pick a tasty Wurst instead. :wink

http://www.fleischerei-koenen.de/1_unser_Betrieb/%2BWursttheke.jpg

RoyBatty
03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
On the basis of other threads with an analogical direction I wonder how you guys and gals see my country and my people. What's your first idea if you hear the word "German"?

Very competent, organised, creative. Unfortunately also very brainwashed by ZOG (war guilt, especially West Germans), sometimes a bit too "robotic" and inclined to "follow ze rules".

What do you like about Germany and what do you hate about Germany? Language? Culture? History? Technology?

Incredible contributions to arts and sciences. Amazing levels of organisation (I can only admire it but probably won't want to be quite as organised and disciplined myself).

There isn't much I hate about Germany except perhaps the usual criminals in the media and politics (who are all over Europe).

Are we cocky?

Generally not but of course there are some rather arrogant idiots (like everywhere else).

Do we have humour or are we all eternal sons and daughters of Adolf and Eva? :wink

Humour is perhaps not the strongest national trait but it does exist.

One possible flaw (it is only my opinion, I could be wrong) is that Germans tend to be too conformist and accepting of "the system" which makes them more susceptible to exploitation and manipulation than other nations, for example in the Latin countries. (Locals there are more anarchist and less inclined to obey).

Jutta
05-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Growing up in the US, I think I absorbed the "Epitome of Evil" concept of Germans. At the same time, my father was into genaeology, and therefor I always knew I was a descendent of people originating from what is now Württemberg. My mother from wherever they spoke Plattdeutsch. Kind of a schizophrenic self-loathing mixed with morbid curiosity... I hated my name.
To my surprise, there are a handful of people I found on a social networking site that have my surname (which was anglicized by accident in the US in the 1700s). One guy I "befriended" who is also approaching 30 looks like a clone of my dad. His children look like my nieces and nephews. He's a plumber and so was my grandfather. Freaky. When I saw his picture, I had that same "Aha!" moment I had when I saw my son for the first time after 22 hours of labor... as if I had seen him somewhere before.
Now, almost thirty, I'm trying to learn German, so I can perhaps figure out what the connection is.
This same person was a Karneval prince a few years ago, dozens of pictures on the internet, with hundreds of people involved in the festivities. So, now when I hear that Germans have no sense of humor, I have this picture in my head of him in his elaborate costume surrounded answering to his title of "his royal craziness". I hear they have no heart, I have a picture of this guy showing off a tattoo of his beautiful kids on Facebook. Now, happily, I don't hate my name.
I guess my point being, I see them as human.

poiuytrewq0987
05-09-2010, 03:28 AM
http://pics.livejournal.com/_consume_/pic/0020yz5y

Nazis' Japanese Love Brigade.

Guapo
05-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Serbians (and other Balkans) pride themselves on being funny, but as for Germany, I've never noticed a great tendency to laugh at oneself.

Vulpix
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Krauts? I love them!

Especially with sauce.

I voted for 2.

Best cars :smilie_liebe9:!

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/mercedes-benz-sl-63-amg.jpg

:love:

Jarl
05-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I guess my point being, I see them as human.

Yes... a conclusion certainly as interesting as unexpected... Personally, I totally love them. In all aspects.

Lulletje Rozewater
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Krauts? I love them!

Especially with sauce.

I voted for 2.

http://rlv.zcache.com/i_hate_sauerkraut_tshirt-p235482824379234120uh8e_400.jpg

Piparskeggr
05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Voted for selection 2...all folk have strong and weak points, part of what makes the conversations here interesting.

I enjoyed my short stay in Germany when I was with the US Air Force.

Some of the guys in my unit complained about the reception they got, but as I was trying to be a good guest, I was treated quite well.

Svanhild
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Now, almost thirty, I'm trying to learn German, so I can perhaps figure out what the connection is.
I could help you. So if you have any questions or if you need a native speaker to review your writings: Just ask.

Aramis
05-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I lived during my whole childhood there, in a village with no other immigrants, thus being exclusively under german cultural and linguistic influence. German was the first langauge I spoke fluently (whereas my croatian was rather miserable). It was Wurst and Malzbier till the end, etc.

I don't consider myself German (don't worry Svanhild :D), but Germany is the country I owe most of my identity (and life) too.

Germanicus
05-09-2010, 08:11 PM
:eek:
What can i tell you about Werner, ok he was from Berlin, his family came from a biggish town in Bavaria.
He came to England because he was expelled from Canada for urinating in a public place[very unGerman behaviour?)
He was extremely hard working, his work ethic was similar to my own.
His desire was to live in Los Angeles, [muscle beach) but first he had to earn money and learn English.
English is not hard, but learning English humour is very hard for a German.
Werner was an industrial pipe fitter welder gas and arc, heating engineer, he could find work anywhere just like i can because you cannot find guys like us off the shelf.
He always carried with him a very thick book, this was very important to him, this book was German to English, English to German dictionary. When i swore at him he would look it up and repeat the word then say it in German, "ja ja" he would say.
Werner adapted very well in our tight unit of men working on contracts around Milton Keynes in the 80s.
Taking Werner under my wing was an insight for me, he was very polite in cicumstances, in others he was bullish.
For instance, he once told me he hated the formality of being a German, to which i asked him to give me an example, he replied, "in Germany, if my Foreman was giving me a bollocking i would stand to attention and click my heels, here in England if our foreman gave me a bollocking i would not!"
That was a mistake on his part because i actually saw him click his heels at attention when being talked to by the Foreman.
Werner and i socialised and i became quite used to his mannerisms, but one thing shone through very clearly, a German when he sets his mind to, nothing will stop him doing it.

Another thing that i found odd about Werner was his apparent disregard of drink driving laws here in the UK.
One evening when he finished weight lifting in the town gym, he went for a drink in a wine bar, he always drank white wine, after several drinks he returned to his yellow VW polo (how German) and drove a few metres then stopped by police, when the police asked if it was alcohol on his breath by a female officer and her male partner he replied " ze only thing you can smell is his socks unt your knickers".:eek:
Subsequently he was arrested, and duly charged with drink driving, at court just to be bombastic he replied to all questions in German, although he spoke by now good English.
The trial was set again with a German translator.
He was found guilty, he was fined and banned, the trial was over, whilst everyone was leaving he acosted the female police officer and kicked her up the arse:eek:
He was returned to the court to be fined an even bigger fine by the same magistrate.
After he returned to work he asked me how he was going to pay the fine, i told him he had to send a cheque every week to the court, He replied "i am with the bank of Ireland, i have no cheque book":(
So i advised him to buy postal orders, instead of paying only £100 per week the postal order cost more around £124
I asked him why he did'nt use a British bank, he replied "a German would never put him money in a English bank" i found this again to be typical bullish behaviour.

Pallantides
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Not hating Germans makes one a "landssviker", if you're a women who like German men then you're a "tyskertøs" and if the woman have a child with a German then that child will be a "tyskerunge".

Never forgive never forget!:D:p:p:p

The Sami population of Norway had a more positive view of the Germans than the general Norwegian population.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UucBwMpfiRg/ScDUXJaALAI/AAAAAAAAAfs/1YiWBGs47GI/s400/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-764-0479-31A,_Norwegen,_Soldat_mit_Lappen.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UucBwMpfiRg/ScDUK6T1P3I/AAAAAAAAAfk/P0-gVlHZ-tg/s400/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-119-0413-32,_Norwegen,_deutscher_Soldat,_Einheimischer+by+R ymas+23+September+1943++wikimedia.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-119-0413-38,_Norwegen,_deutscher_Soldat,_Einheimische.jpg

I know many Norwegians have stated that Kvens(Finns) and Sami "sold themselves for coffee and tobacco"

The Lawspeaker
05-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Not hating Germans makes one a "landssviker", if you're a women who like German men then you're a "tyskertøs" and if the woman have a child with a German then that child will be a "tyskerunge".
In 1945. But also in 2010 ? :eek:

Pallantides
05-11-2010, 09:26 AM
In 1945. But also in 2010 ? :eek:

It was mostly sarcasm.;)
But thats how it was in pre-war Norway.

The Ripper
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I've always had a positive view of Germans, probably something I've picked up from my engineer-father, who admires Germany and Germans for their industriousness and dedication to what they do. I think many Finns feel there is a special relationship between our nations, especially a historical one that stretches back to the Jaeger movement as well as the second world war.

Bloodeagle
05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:nrydDIMZrrovEM:http://5martins.de/HTML/I_love_Germany.gif

As a consumer in America a great deal of my money goes towards the German economy.
The German name is synonymous with Quality!:thumb001:

Arrow Cross
05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I could help you. So if you have any questions or if you need a native speaker to review your writings: Just ask.
No help can be given to memorize that entire, hellish Der/Die/Das-system. :D

Kanasyuvigi
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I voted 2.
I respect German culture, traditions and history.
Our two peoples have suffered a lot together in the 20th century. (Bulgaria and Germany are the only two still existing countries which have lost both WWI and WWII). The Third Bulgarian Tsardom was created just a few years after the Second German Reich, and fell an year after the fall Third Reich.
But on the other hand, I dislike the sense of national nihilism, denial of the past and traditions, typical for 99% of the modern Germans I've met.

Arrow Cross
05-11-2010, 03:07 PM
(Bulgaria and Germany are the only two still existing countries which have lost both WWI and WWII)
:rolleyes:

Make that Hungary and Germany. Bulgaria was happily on the victorious Soviet side by the end of WWII.

Kanasyuvigi
05-11-2010, 03:09 PM

Make that Hungary and Germany. Bulgaria was happily on the victorious Soviet side by the end of WWII.

It was Austro-Hungary in the first war ;)
And Bulgaria was occupied of the Red army 9 months before the end of the war.

Arrow Cross
05-11-2010, 03:13 PM
It was Austro-Hungary in the first war ;)
And Bulgaria was occupied of the Red army 9 months before the end of the war.
Oh, sorry. "Hungary" so didn't lose that one... it even gained a country of its own!

http://youtubemagyarhadsereg.lapunk.hu/tarhely/youtubemagyarhadsereg/kepek/trianon_osszehasonlitasa_1_2.jpg

hajduk
05-11-2010, 03:18 PM

not really

He forgot to add Hungary, but we declared war to Germany when the commies took the power(same did Hungary on Dec 31, 1944), when the red army occupied us was established communistic government.

After the commies won the war all the high educated people in Bulgaria who didn't wanted to become JEWISH servants were murdered. If you were anti communist you had 2 choices - the firing squad or a trip to the Gulag. :mad:

hajduk
05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh, sorry. "Hungary" so didn't lose that one... it even gained a country of its own!

http://youtubemagyarhadsereg.lapunk.hu/tarhely/youtubemagyarhadsereg/kepek/trianon_osszehasonlitasa_1_2.jpg

And Why Macedonia is missing?
Macedonia for us is just like Transilvanya for you hungarians

Kanasyuvigi
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
It's "only'' 8%, because just a year before WWI begun, the Bulgarian army (and the Greek navy) smashed the Ottoman Empire and pushed it out of Europe It was our government's greediness and the boosted self-confidence of tsar Ferdinand which led us to the National disasters.
ArrowCross, it's obvious that Hungary lost, Bulgaria lost, Germany lost...
But after all - who has won these wars?

Arrow Cross
05-11-2010, 03:49 PM
ArrowCross, it's obvious that Hungary lost, Bulgaria lost, Germany lost...
But after all - who has won these wars?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pV56sneYkHA/SO9FJFBFC1I/AAAAAAAABEE/lhBNLAQ6kD4/s400/Jew.gif

All one needs to know about the XXth Century. :rolleyes:

Svanhild
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
No help can be given to memorize that entire, hellish Der/Die/Das-system. :D

Our outstanding system sorts the wheat from the chaff. :wink

Jarl
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Precisely. So stop whining and be glad there is any such thing as Hungary! :thumb001:

Turkophagos
05-12-2010, 04:37 AM

http://observers.france24.com/files/images/angela-merkel-titten-375.jpg

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/angela.jpg

Guapo
05-12-2010, 04:49 AM
And Why Macedonia is missing?
Macedonia for us is just like Transilvanya for you hungarians

Why would Bulgarians want to be neighbors of Albanians?

Jarl
05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
http://observers.france24.com/files/images/angela-merkel-titten-375.jpg

:bowlol: Fantastisch! :rotfl

Klärchen
05-16-2010, 03:53 PM
You bad bad guys! http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Girls/dudu2.gif