PDA

View Full Version : Americans and the UK

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
How often do American drivers have car accidents in the UK? ;)

Osweo
03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
There aren't that many about. I never heard of such incidents.

Britons driving in Europe and elsewhere is a different story, though....

Imperivm
03-11-2010, 08:07 PM
I was once driven by a Canadian. He was terrified of our roads because he said they were ridiculously narrow and everyone drives really quickly. I think yanks have the same issue...

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 08:15 PM
There aren't that many about. I never heard of such incidents.

Britons driving in Europe and elsewhere is a different story, though....

Have you seen the film Eurotrip? There was one part in the film about Manchester United. They drove to France (went thru the chunnel?) and they were driving on the left side and yelling at the frenchies saying they didn't know how to drive, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdP0JXZpbx0

Allenson
03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
I've driven quite a bit in the Isles and it takes some getting used to, make no mistake about that. We have round-a-bouts in this part of the States, so that's not too much of an issue for me--it's that whole left-hand driving stuff that can be tricky. ;)

And yes, the roads are narrow and twisty, especially in the countryside and for some reason, everyone seems to want to go as fast as is physically possible at all times. I'm also amazed at the amount of traffic there--even way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, there always seems to be someone roaring along.

Get used to mist on your windshield and camera lense too. ;)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/3987610428_b17e411f5f_b.jpg

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 09:08 PM
I've driven quite a bit in the Isles and it takes some getting used to, make no mistake about that. We have round-a-bouts in this part of the States, so that's not too much of an issue for me--it's that whole left-hand driving stuff that can be tricky. ;)

And yes, the roads are narrow and twisty, especially in the countryside and for some reason, everyone seems to want to go as fast as is physically possible at all times. I'm also amazed at the amount of traffic there--even way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, there always seems to be someone roaring along.

Get used to mist on your windshield and camera lense too. ;)

Now that's one small road...

Deary
03-11-2010, 09:22 PM
From what I hear, it's Americans having returned from the U.K. or Brits having returned from the U.S. or other countries that often poses more of a problem, though I've yet to come across the data for this.

Grumpy Cat
03-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I think I would totally get in an accident if I tried to drive in the UK.

Loki
03-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I think I would totally get in an accident if I tried to drive in the UK.

Driving on the left feels so "normal" ... it is very odd for me the other way around (in South Africa we also drive on the left).

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Driving on the left feels so "normal" ... it is very odd for me the other way around (in South Africa we also drive on the left).

I don't know how you people do it. :D

Brynhild
03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
The UK would be an extension of my backyard, including the twisty windy roads. I'm also right-eye dominant, so to even contemplate the idea of driving on the wrong side of the road is a scary thought in itself! :P

Germanicus
03-11-2010, 10:33 PM
The UK would be an extension of my backyard, including the twisty windy roads. I'm also right-eye dominant, so to even contemplate the idea of driving on the wrong side of the road is a scary thought in itself! :P

It would be scary for me to even contenplate driving in a left handed car; driving in France in my right sided beamer was not as bad as i thought but to own a L/handed car would do my head in, seriously..:confused:

Beorn
03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Now that's one small road...

That is an adequately sized road to allow a two way flow of traffic. A single traffic road any bigger than that is simply not required.

Small roads do exist, however, but they are often to be found in the towns.

Osweo
03-11-2010, 11:03 PM
"You call that a road? This is a road:"
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8889/201002240031.jpg
[/Crocodile-Dundee]

We have mad roads here in Devon. It's the steep hedges that make it worse; if you don't know the area, you don't know how long the single track stretch is, who's coming, where the next passing place is... And if you're unlucky, you'll spend fifteen minutes or so reversing up a hill on a winding track, branches scratching your car, with some sod in a tractor scowling at you from in front. :p And yes, people still manage 70mph down these lanes! :eek:

Loki
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
We have mad roads here in Devon.

I've driven in Devon a few times and you are right. Madness! ;) They should put up signs "no Americans allowed", as they will certainly suffer from claustrophobia, if they don't make an accident! :D

poiuytrewq0987
03-11-2010, 11:19 PM
That is an adequately sized road to allow a two way flow of traffic. A single traffic road any bigger than that is simply not required.

They're heck a lot smaller than the roads in America.

http://www.freefoto.com/images/21/87/21_87_51---American-road-USA-road_web.jpg?&k=American+road+%2F+USA+road

compared to...

Óttar
03-11-2010, 11:40 PM
All I know is I almost got killed 4 times crossing the street in London. Those drivers are f***ing crazy.

Imperivm
03-12-2010, 12:19 AM
The roads in Hampshire and Dorset are insane as well. Sometimes there are special mirrors placed in bushes to tell if the road ahead is clear. If you mess up normally there is a tree to polish you off.

Thinking about it our roads are bloody dangerous....... My dad has been under a mini (his life was saved by another driver ramming the mini to move him off :P) He has had 3 people he was biking with die right in front of him (trees), my mum has been through a windscreen, a great uncial was killed reversing into his drive and my sisters fiancee was knocked off his bike, stopped breathing and nearly died.

To top it off my great grandfather wrote off his MG when he was getting busy with his gf of the time, but forgot to put the handbrake on properly. It made the local paper but nobody but the family knew what they were up to :P.

Kadu
03-12-2010, 01:05 AM

Exactly! In the USA everything is overdimensioned, from the size of a coke to the size of the sidewalks. It's actually the first thing you notice once you step there.

Grumpy Cat
03-12-2010, 01:08 AM

Backwards!!!

You guys shift gears with your left hand too, don't you?

poiuytrewq0987
03-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Exactly! In the USA everything is overdimensioned, from the size of a coke to the size of the sidewalks. It's actually the first thing you notice once you step there.

The point of that is to make everything look big, and thus spectacular (the measure of how spectacular is always in size). This is why everyone always gawk at the skyscrapers of New York.

Cato
03-12-2010, 01:23 AM
If you're Chevy Chase, very frequently.

Brynhild
03-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Backwards!!!

You guys shift gears with your left hand too, don't you?

What would you expect when you steer with your right? :rolleyes: Seems perfectly natural to me.

Treffie
03-12-2010, 11:59 AM

That's definitely a 60mph stretch :)