PDA

View Full Version : Classify these Puerto Ricans please

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 06:04 PM
http://kendallparcsphotography.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/nyc-puerto-rican-day-parade-096.jpg?w=370&h=
http://i62.tinypic.com/8xquxx.jpg

RMuller
09-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Mulatos typical Puerto Ricans.

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Bump

Steve-O
09-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Mulatos typical Puerto Ricans.

Typical Puerto Ricans are in the octoroon-quadroon range, us Dominicans are the typical mulattos.

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Typical Puerto Ricans are in the octoroon-quadroon range, us Dominicans are the typical mulattos.

In the US many of the Puerto Ricans look between quadroon and mulatto. Based on results of islanders a lot of them are in the 20-25% African, 10-15% Amerindian, and the rest European range.

Steve-O
09-14-2014, 07:50 PM
In the US many of the Puerto Ricans look between quadroon and mulatto. Based on results of islanders a lot of them are in the 20-25% African, 10-15% Amerindian, and the rest European range.

Many do but the majority don't. To say this is typical for them wouldnt be accurate

dralos
09-14-2014, 07:51 PM
untermenschen

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Many do but the majority don't. To say this is typical for them wouldnt be accurate

If you type in "Puerto Ricans in NYC" or "Puerto Rican parades" this is the average look.

Steve-O
09-14-2014, 07:58 PM
If you type in "Puerto Ricans in NYC" or "Puerto Rican parades" this is the average look.

Meaning..

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Meaning..

That the average Puerto Rican in NYC looks visibly African-admixed.

Whether this is true for those on the island I can't say. Some people say it's not.

Steve-O
09-14-2014, 08:03 PM
That the average Puerto Rican in NYC looks visibly African-admixed.

Whether this is true for those on the island I can't say. Some people say it's not.

Not really. PR is diverse. But there is a tendency for people to look like this

http://mr305records.monkeypiginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Angel-y-Khriz-1.jpg

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Not really. PR is diverse. But there is a tendency for people to look like this

http://mr305records.monkeypiginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Angel-y-Khriz-1.jpg

They look closer to Turks than what I think of as Puerto Rican.

chestbrah
09-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Mulattos. There are many nuyoricans that are actually caucasoid but nobody assumes them to be Puerto Ricans like some of my cousins. Overall the island is more diverse and there's not really a typical look

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Mulattos. There are many nuyoricans that are actually caucasoid but nobody assumes them to be Puerto Ricans like some of my cousins.

The whiter Puerto Ricans in my area are often assumed to be Portuguese-American.

chestbrah
09-14-2014, 11:33 PM
The whiter Puerto Ricans in my area are often assumed to be Portuguese-American.

Makes sense since Portugal depending on the areas have similar admixture like canarians.

Merida
09-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Many of them are mulattos.

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Makes sense since Portugal depending on the areas have similar admixture like canarians.

Yes. They look like the Portuguese here especially from Algarve and Madeira, who make up a sizable portion of the Portuguese-American population.

More admixed Puerto Ricans will be assumed to be Brazilian or Cape Verdean depending on the amount of mixture. The ones in the photos I posted just now would be guessed as Cape Verdean.

chestbrah
09-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Yes. They look like the Portuguese here especially from Algarve and Madeira, who make up a sizable portion of the Portuguese-American population.

More admixed Puerto Ricans will be assumed to be Brazilian or Cape Verdean depending on the amount of mixture. The ones in the photos I posted just now would be guessed as Cape Verdean.

I think that's more of a typical look among Dominicans. I think if I were to go to NY majority of people wouldn't assume me to be PR but in Miami or south Florida that would be different since they are used to seeing more caucasoid prs

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 11:40 PM
I think that's more of a typical look among Dominicans. I think if I were to go to NY majority of people wouldn't assume me to be PR but in Miami or south Florida that would be different since they are used to seeing more caucasoid prs

Well the fact that a lot of people in the northeast US mistake Puerto Ricans and Dominicans frequently and believe them to be interchangeable suggests that the Puerto Ricans up here are more African than average.

chestbrah
09-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Well the fact that a lot of people in the northeast US mistake Puerto Ricans and Dominicans frequently and believe them to be interchangeable suggests that the Puerto Ricans up here are more African than average.

Depends because a lot of central americans are assumed to be just Mexican despite the fact that Mexicans have their same of people of predominantly spanish ancestry so it's easy to assume that somebody is of the same nationality despite that one ethnic group might have more diversity than the other

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Depends because a lot of central americans are assumed to be just Mexican despite the fact that Mexicans have their same of people of predominantly spanish ancestry so it's easy to assume that somebody is of the same nationality despite that one ethnic group might have more diversity than the other

Yes, I believe so. I do know that people associate both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans with Afro-European mixes, which is why when you see fully white Puerto Ricans (and Dominicans, but I've yet to see one in the US), people often doubt that they are that ethnicity and assume them to be something else.

chestbrah
09-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Yes, I believe so. I do know that people associate both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans with Afro-European mixes, which is why when you see fully white Puerto Ricans (and Dominicans, but I've yet to see one in the US), people often doubt that they are that ethnicity and assume them to be something else.

I actually haven't really seen a white Dominican either to be honest. Although Puerto Ricans have some kind of sixth sense that just by looking at them whether they look caucasoid or not we can just tell that they are Puerto Rican lol it's wierd

Sikeliot
09-14-2014, 11:51 PM
I actually haven't really seen a white Dominican either to be honest. Although Puerto Ricans have some kind of sixth sense that just by looking at them whether they look caucasoid or not we can just tell that they are Puerto Rican lol it's wierd

Have you seen my mother? I'm curious if you'd assume her to be Puerto Rican.

chestbrah
09-14-2014, 11:53 PM
Have you seen my mother? I'm curious if you'd assume her to be Puerto Rican.

Yes I have and yea she can pass, especially in guaynabo where all the criollos are where they are known to be stuck up and spoiled lol

RMuller
09-15-2014, 05:31 AM
http://mr305records.monkeypiginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Angel-y-Khriz-1.jpgThey look closer to Turks than what I think of as Puerto Rican.

The one on the left shows obvious African features.