PDA

View Full Version : Moral dilemma; Should you tell someone they made a mistake on a homework assignment...?

Sikeliot
09-17-2014, 12:37 AM
So today I met with a group of 3 people to do a homework assignment, but due to car troubles I forgot my notes. Therefore, I was kind of lost and confused and one of the girls was being VERY bitchy to me because I 'dared to take up their time'.

Now, I discovered after accessing my notes and realizing it all makes a lot of sense, that they did several parts of the problem incorrectly, and the homework assignment is graded very strictly and homeworks are a decent part of our grade.

Should I tell them they made a mistake, even though they are all smart and it was a silly mistake, and they seem confident in their answers?

I firmly believe if someone sets terms and conditions upon interactions such that nothing you do brings them annoyance or harm, they are not entitled to the positive benefit of your presence if something you could say or do brings them good.

JoeyGee8688
09-17-2014, 12:41 AM
So today I met with a group of 3 people to do a homework assignment, but due to car troubles I forgot my notes. Therefore, I was kind of lost and confused and one of the girls was being VERY bitchy to me because I 'dared to take up their time'.

Now, I discovered after accessing my notes and realizing it all makes a lot of sense, that they did several parts of the problem incorrectly, and the homework assignment is graded very strictly and homeworks are a decent part of our grade.

Should I tell them they made a mistake, even though they are all smart and it was a silly mistake, and they seem confident in their answers?

I firmly believe if someone sets terms and conditions upon interactions such that nothing you do brings them annoyance or harm, they are not entitled to the positive benefit of your presence if something you could say or do brings them good.

I would go ahead and let them know, but diplomatically of course. If you meet with them again, simply raise the concern "I got a different answer, because I thought X, Y, or Z was the proper method", or something along those lines. You won't benefit yourself but letting them fail, and you may learn something yourself if you discuss the issue with them.

Sikeliot
09-17-2014, 12:44 AM
I would go ahead and let them know, but diplomatically of course. If you meet with them again, simply raise the concern "I got a different answer, because I thought X, Y, or Z was the proper method", or something along those lines. You won't benefit yourself but letting them fail, and you may learn something yourself if you discuss the issue with them.

They made a VERY simple mistake though. The assignment is due tomorrow. The other thing is, she's VERY good in this class. I am decent but not as good, but I didn't make any errors that I know of.

Part of me thinks that since she was a major bitch when I needed HER help, she is not entitled to my help now. The other part of me thinks I should be a good person and then maybe she won't hate me so much.

Jackson
09-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Yeah just tell them in a non-judgmental way.