PDA

View Full Version : Descendants of St. Louis, King of France

Psychonaut
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Chances are, if you're a North American of French descent, that you're a distant relative of Louis IX, the Saint King. What follows is an exhaustive, 107 page, listing of his descendants. My connection is through Jeanne Motin-DeCourcelles-Reux (p. 11). Do you see any of your ancestors on the tree?

Æmeric
01-12-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a line of descent from St. Louis via Joan Beaufort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Westmoreland). I can't access my familytree file at the moment but it is more then 20-generations ago. Joan's father is my most recent royal antecendent.

Grumpy Cat
01-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Wow. One of my ancestors appeared on the second page. Good find! :thumb001:

Jägerstaffel
01-13-2009, 12:51 AM
According to wikipedia; almost half of Euro-Americans are descended from royalty in England, Scotland, Germany and France. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_descent#United_States

News to me!

Brynhild
01-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I've since found out that I'm descended from the Scottish royal line (assuming it's not dodgy), so I wonder how hard it is to believe.

quotablepatella
07-01-2009, 06:42 PM
King Louis is the brother of my 26x great grandfather, Robert Artois.

aefavant
09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
The basic math people do the say "60% of people descend from X King" is bollocks. They fail to count for overlapping lineages!
Basic math: 2 to the power of n generations.
If you take the basic rule of one generations every 20 years, say, since 1400 letting the last one (you) be 1980, that accounts for 29 generations: 2^29 = 536million people are your ancestors, and if the population of a country was, say 10 mln, they conclude everyone is a close cousin of every single living European...bollocks. It's obvious that you do not have that many cousins.... All families developed within closed "villages"/regions with only so many available people and the progression goes onm people marrying only local people. after many generations, they're all relatives. but NOT necessarily relatives to the 'next village'!
Same tosh is said about Ghenguis Kahn and Mohammed. Stories....