PDA

View Full Version : Sámi Ancestry

uuiiioo
09-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Out of curiosity, how is it possible to find out if you have Sámi ancestry? Is it even possible?

Only asking because I have a "branch" of Swedish ancestry (great great great grandfather), and I'm super interested in indigenous peoples.

Stimpy
09-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Out of curiosity, how is it possible to find out if you have Sámi ancestry? Is it even possible?

Only asking because I have a "branch" of Swedish ancestry (great great great grandfather), and I'm super interested in indigenous peoples.

The only way to find out for sure is to do some geneology on that side of the family. You could also try ordering a DNA kit, there are some different haplogroup branches associated especially with Samis. Generally Speaking many Samis have pretty similar DNA to other Swedes though, especially from the same geographical area as they are often pretty mixed. If your great-great-whatever- grandpa was from northern Sweden the chances of him having Sami ancestry are alot larger. It might be kind of hard to find out though since it's pretty distant.

The extremely simplified genetic history of all Scandinavians is that in the beginning there were proto-Scandinavian hunter-gatherers who arrived after the ice melted there. Some 4000 years ago Siberian nomads enter Scandinavia from the north and Indo-European farmers entered from the south. The hunter-gatherers who mixed with the Siberian Nomads in the north became the Sami and the ones who mixed the farmers in the south became other Scandos. (Swedes,Norwegians,Danes)

FeederOfRavens
09-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Sami ancestry is more common in Norway than Sweden.

Rædwald
09-21-2014, 09:07 PM
My Fiancé is Sámi, just order a DNA test :P

Stimpy
09-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Sami ancestry is more common in Norway than Sweden.

It just depends on the area of the country, really. Sami ancestry is equally common in Northern Swedes and Norwegians, and equally as uncommon in Southern Swedes and Norwegians.

FeederOfRavens
09-21-2014, 09:12 PM
It just depends on the area of the country, really. Sami ancestry is equally common in Northern Swedes and Norwegians, and equally as uncommon in Southern Swedes and Norwegians.

Yes, but doesn't 80% of the population reside in South(and Central) Sweden?

uuiiioo
09-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the help everybody! I do intend on getting a 23andme test in the future, so we'll see what happens.

Stimpy
09-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the help everybody! I do intend on getting a 23andme test in the future, so we'll see what happens.

You actually seem to look a little bit like a Swedish-Sami singer called Maxida Märak IMO, if that's you in your avatar that is. Not that it really say anything at all, but still maybe it's a tiny bit cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2TZqyqp3s

uuiiioo
09-22-2014, 04:09 PM
You actually seem to look a little bit like a Swedish-Sami singer called Maxida Märak IMO, if that's you in your avatar that is. Not that it really say anything at all, but still maybe it's a tiny bit cool.

Yeah that's me! Ahh I don't see the resemblance, but thanks I suppose :p?

Äijä
09-22-2014, 04:21 PM

They are not more indigenous than the rest of us.

Äijä
09-22-2014, 04:23 PM
The extremely simplified genetic history of all Scandinavians is that in the beginning there were proto-Scandinavian hunter-gatherers who arrived after the ice melted there. Some 4000 years ago Siberian nomads enter Scandinavia from the north and Indo-European farmers entered from the south. The hunter-gatherers who mixed with the Siberian Nomads in the north became the Sami and the ones who mixed the farmers in the south became other Scandos. (Swedes,Norwegians,Danes)

That is simplified and not even true most likely.

Äijä
09-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Genetically they might be more indigenous but not language wise or culturally, I just hate when people compare them to native americans or something.

uuiiioo
09-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Genetically they might be more indigenous but not language wise or culturally, I just hate when people compare them to native americans or something.

That's completely fair. I just called them indigenous as they're recognised and protected under the "international conventions of indigenous peoples". Well, it's been ratified in Norway at least so I don't know.

Äijä
09-22-2014, 04:56 PM
That's completely fair. I just called them indigenous as they're recognised and protected under the "international conventions of indigenous peoples". Well, it's been ratified in Norway at least so I don't know.

Yes, the reason is left wing radicals lobbying the issue for decades.

uuiiioo
09-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Yes, the reason is left wing radicals lobbying the issue for decades.

For what reason?

Äijä
09-22-2014, 05:07 PM
For what reason?

To spread dissidence in the region and make it ripe for world revolution.

Indigenous peoples rights lobbies are like the green movement historically, full of left wing radicals and financed secretly by the KGB.