03-14-2010, 03:41 PM
TfIRn2DkITM

WG_nGCW9ELw

PzNTY0xVTaI

1YVs1qtnDXM

The World's Fastest Motorway (Highway)

Anthropos
03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
It's teh high point of teh civilization, dye tehre and go to teh Valhalla, it's beter tahn teh life hear and no hagnove.r

RoyBatty
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
UMw7lJiUiLU

Svanhild
03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Most Germans are proud of our sectionally limitless highways. I concur. :wink Lots of us consider general speed limits as patronizing. We're accustomed to speeds above 150 or 170 km/h, but most foreigners aren't and that leads to insecurities and accidents. Often foreign drivers start to overtake a truck because they see a car still far away in the rearview mirror, but they don't consider the speed of that car. It could be 180 or 220 km/h. They hang on their rear in no time and have to brake hard.

Foreigners are not familiar with speeds above 130 or 140 km/h. And that's the main problem.

The Lawspeaker
03-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Freie fahrt für freie Bürger ! :)

Falkata
03-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I´m very familiar with those speeds, that´s because I´m always fined :shakefist

Svanhild
03-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I´m very familiar with those speeds, that´s why I´m always fined :shakefist
Time to visit speed paradise, Germany. :wink

poiuytrewq0987
03-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Most Germans are proud of our sectionally limitless highways. I concur. :wink Lots of us consider general speed limits as patronizing. We're accustomed to speeds above 150 or 170 km/h, but most foreigners aren't and that leads to insecurities and accidents. Often foreign drivers start to overtake a truck because they see a car still far away in the rearview mirror, but they don't consider the speed of that car. It could be 180 or 220 km/h. They hang on their rear in no time and have to brake hard.

Foreigners are not familiar with speeds above 130 or 140 km/h. And that's the main problem.

In the USA, on the highways you often have to go 100 kmh and if you go any faster then you're liable to get pulled over by the police or get caught by one of those traffic cameras. But if you drive in the country you often can go up to 120 kmh but I've drove as fast as 140 to 160 kmh just because I know there's no police out in the country. However in some areas they track the area by radar and they hand out tickets to whoever are caught on radar speeding but I'm not sure how they identify the cars and send the ticket to the right person... The police here is a lot more draconian than the ones in Europe (or Germany for that matter).

Tabiti
03-19-2010, 03:49 PM
The Autobahn to Valhalla. A glorious death in the deadliest fight to leave behind that damn truck in front;)

poiuytrewq0987
03-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm no car expert so this is the reason why I'm asking. :D When I was out in the country and I was racing this guy and I went up to 115 mph or 185 kmh but if I went any faster it would stall out and wouldn't let me go any faster but stay at 115 mph... So, maybe you guys can tell me why? :p

Óttar
03-19-2010, 04:23 PM
The autobahn reminds me of the F.T. Marinetti's Futurist Manifesto.

We want to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and rashness.

We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.

We want to sing of the man at the wheel, the ideal axis of which crosses the earth, itself hurled along its orbit.

Svanhild
03-19-2010, 10:28 PM
In the USA, on the highways you often have to go 100 kmh and if you go any faster then you're liable to get pulled over by the police or get caught by one of those traffic cameras.
100 km/h is the speed limit on our single-landed through roads. On two-landed through roads the speed limit is at 120 km/h in the majority of cases. But you may be rest assured that the flow of traffic drives always 20 km/h above the speed limits. That's the magical border: If you drive ~ 20 km/h (30 km/h on some regulated notorious Autobahn sections) faster than permitted and get caught you get away with a rather low fee. Expect that you have to drive 120 km/h on a through road with a 100 km/h speed limit if you ever visit Germany, elsewise you produce a traffic jam and reap headlight flashers and blaring horns. :wink

When I was out in the country and I was racing this guy and I went up to 115 mph or 185 kmh but if I went any faster it would stall out and wouldn't let me go any faster but stay at 115 mph... So, maybe you guys can tell me why? :p
Because many Americans drive crummy cars and Germans drive German cars conspicuously often? German car brands like BMW, Merzedes, Audi, Volkswagen Porsche or Opel are famous for their quality. They're built for higher speeds.

Zankapfel
03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
It's not their fault really, we shouldn't expect foreigners to keep up with our understanding of the mathematics, physics and engineering of high speed driving ;]

RoyBatty
03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm no car expert so this is the reason why I'm asking. :D When I was out in the country and I was racing this guy and I went up to 115 mph or 185 kmh but if I went any faster it would stall out and wouldn't let me go any faster but stay at 115 mph... So, maybe you guys can tell me why? :p

Probably because of a built in speed limiter.

poiuytrewq0987
03-20-2010, 02:20 AM
Probably because of a built in speed limiter.

Yeah that's what I thought...

poiuytrewq0987
03-20-2010, 02:21 AM
100 km/h is the speed limit on our single-landed through roads. On two-landed through roads the speed limit is at 120 km/h in the majority of cases. But you may be rest assured that the flow of traffic drives always 20 km/h above the speed limits. That's the magical border: If you drive ~ 20 km/h (30 km/h on some regulated notorious Autobahn sections) faster than permitted and get caught you get away with a rather low fee. Expect that you have to drive 120 km/h on a through road with a 100 km/h speed limit if you ever visit Germany, elsewise you produce a traffic jam and reap headlight flashers and blaring horns. :wink

I see. :)

Because many Americans drive crummy cars and Germans drive German cars conspicuously often? German car brands like BMW, Merzedes, Audi, Volkswagen Porsche or Opel are famous for their quality. They're built for higher speeds. There isn't really a large difference between American and German cars in terms of performance. It's more in terms of keeping the car in working order. German cars are more reliable, sure but is there a huge performance gap between American and German cars? Not really.

Grey
03-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Why do you allow foreigners to drive in Germany without taking some sort of test? I don't trust most Americans on our own roads.

Falkata
03-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Why do you allow foreigners to drive in Germany without taking some sort of test? I don't trust most Americans on our own roads.

European driving licences allow you to drive in all the countries of the EU. What kind of union would be if you can´t even drive to other country?

Zyklop
03-20-2010, 11:44 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/dcpjqx.jpg

"We do not build speedways, but roads which correspond to the character of the German landscape."
Fritz Todt

Grey
03-20-2010, 03:58 PM
European driving licences allow you to drive in all the countries of the EU. What kind of union would be if you can´t even drive to other country?

But my specific example was American drivers, who are not part of the union yet are allowed to drive there.

poiuytrewq0987
03-20-2010, 04:03 PM
But my specific example was American drivers, who are not part of the union yet are allowed to drive there.

But I think you have to have an international driver's license to driver in foreign countries. I don't think you have to worry about American drivers since most Americans who visit there are not Mexicans who are notorious for being bad drivers... and Asians but I think Germany got their share of em, lol.

The Lawspeaker
03-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I think that they shouldn't be unless they took a special driving test that would allow them to drive on all European roads.

Eldritch
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM

Are you aware of term "speed blindness"? That means going, say, 130 km/h, then turning on another road with a speed limit of, say, 70. That'll suddenly feel like going slower than a snail, which often causes people to inadvertently overspeed. Any idea if this is a problem in Germany?

Btw in Finland the highest speed allowed on any road is 120 km/h.

Svanhild
03-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Are you aware of term "speed blindness"? That means going, say, 130 km/h, then turning on another road with a speed limit of, say, 70. That'll suddenly feel like going slower than a snail, which often causes people to inadvertently overspeed. Any idea if this is a problem in Germany?
Sure. I'm afraid that all car drivers know the dilemma. We Germans have that probem in the most extreme form: Imagine you're driving 200 km/h or more on the Autobahn and turn off at an exit which ends at a street through a village or town. The speed limit is 50 km/h in town. Therefore you think you're standing still for the first few minutes. :wink

My deepest condolences. :cool: One would imagine that in a rather flat and unpopulated country like Finland the interurban roads are free and without general limits.

Arrow Cross
03-22-2010, 05:33 PM
130 in Hungary. When roving on a highway across the Lowland plains at dawn, nobody in sight, it can be really dissatisfying.

Eldritch
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Sure. I'm afraid that all car drivers know the dilemma. We Germans have that probem in the most extreme form: Imagine you're driving 200 km/h or more on the Autobahn and turn off at an exit which ends at a street through a village or town. The speed limit is 50 km/h in town. Therefore you think you're standing still for the first few minutes. :wink

Okay, but what I meant is are you aware of any studies as to whether or not this causes more accidents than it other countries?

Svanhild
03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Okay, but what I meant is are you aware of any studies as to whether or not this causes more accidents than it other countries?
I'm afraid that I've never heard anything about studies in that direction. But it would be an interesting topic, agreed.