PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite European literature?

aimar
09-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Mine follows the order of the poll, excluding Portuguese.
Also what's your favourite author from each of those countries?
Russia - Dostoievsky
France - Zola
German - Thomas Mann
Spanish - Cervantes
Italy - Alberto Moravia
British - Dickens

Grace O'Malley
09-25-2014, 03:49 PM
What about Irish literature?

Jonathan Swift; W.B. Yeats; Oscar Wilde; James Joyce; Colm Toibín; Seamus Heaney; Samuel Beckett; G.B. Shaw; Brendan Behan; Roddy Doye, Flann O'Brien and J. M Synge to name a few.

aimar
09-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Yes, I like Swift and specially Beckett (one of my top30 authors), and I've read one by Shaw. yeats is a poet I think? I don't like poetry.
I have Picture of Dorian Gray in my bookshelf for at least 4 years now and I haven't read it yet, I don't really know why, same thing for madame bovary and anne karenina, all of them essencial. Maybe I'll start reading it tomorrow.
As for James Joyce I haven't read anything yet because they say a lot of the beauty of his books gets lost in the translation, and I won't dare to read the original versions because they were written in a peculiar English.

Irish, after czech, is probably my favourite small country literature, but I haven't explored it that much.
I only really have a good grasp of portuguese, french and russian literature so far (15 plus authors of each)

Comte Arnau
09-25-2014, 04:15 PM
My favourite literature and the one I know best is obviously the Catalan one.

But if we must exclude our own, then it's still difficult, because authors are very different depending on genre and age, and there are authors who've only written one masterpiece while others have written many excellent books.

I have Picture of Dorian Gray in my bookshelf for at least 4 years now and I haven't read it yet, I don't really know why, same thing for madame bovary and anne karenina, all of them essencial. Maybe I'll start reading it tomorrow.

The three are kind of slow-paced but good books once you've finished them, IMO. Specially if you like the weave of things rather than the SFX. I prefer Stendhal to Flaubert, though.

Gustave H
09-25-2014, 04:37 PM
German. Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.

Arbeiter
11-14-2014, 01:43 AM
For some reason, I've been very interested in Deutscher Romantismus lately.

♥ Lily ♥
12-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Briefly, my favourite authors from Europe are;

France - Charles Baudelaire, Voltaire, Gaston Leroux, Jean Paul Sartre.

England - George Orwell, Professor Richard Dawkins, Jeffrey Archer, Lord Byron.

Ireland - James Joyce, Bram Stoker.

Germany - Freidrich Nietzsche.

I didn't vote on a preference for any nations writers.