PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica (2004)

Liffrea
03-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I’ve posted this here because of the theme rather than the show itself.

Unusually for science-fiction (I can only think of Babylon 5 with it’s broadly mythological background) religion is gone into some depth in this series. The humans are polytheistic with a pantheon that is ancient Greek, whilst the cyclons are monotheists with their beliefs obviously Judaeo-Christian. It’s also helpful that the cylons now appear as humans (makes the debates on religion a bit more realistic).

I’ve only watched up to episode 9 of series 1 so far but I am intrigued by how this is going to develop in the series. BG seems to have been a reasonably successful attempt at mature sci-fi. It’s well worth watching.

Zankapfel
03-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Although I prefer the original series I love the new Battlestar Galactica, it is indeed a great show.
Besides religion, it includes a lot of political and ethical elements (the liberty vs. security debate, genocidal religious fundamentalists, sleeper cells, civil liberties crackdowns, political prisoners, methods of retribution).
Gaius Baltar is most certainly a complex and intense character, watching his transition from ruthless lunatic to guilt-stricken leader (and smooth womanizer!) is delightful, so watch out for him :thumb001:
In the original series he was far more deranged and evil, but I like how the new Baltar plays out anyway.

poiuytrewq0987
03-17-2010, 03:31 AM
I just love the booms in the show. Religion and story be damned. :D :P

Zankapfel
03-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Number Six's booms? :icon_wink:

poiuytrewq0987
03-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Number Six's booms? :icon_wink:

Oh yeah! She's one of the booms. :D

Baron Samedi
03-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Great show! I watched the pilot, and I really love how tragic and doomy the show feels.... Humanity truly gets fucked, and it's pleasing to see it done well in a scifi.

poiuytrewq0987
03-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Great show! I watched the pilot, and I really love how tragic and doomy the show feels.... Humanity truly gets fucked, and it's pleasing to see it done well in a scifi.

I watched the entire series on SciFi, I really enjoyed the scifi theme being mixed with drama and war; it made things interesting. However at times the show felt like it was being dragged.

Monolith
03-17-2010, 08:47 AM
I watched all the episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and while the story is actually quite interesting, it is often intertwined with modern pseudo-progressive ideology. So, if you don't mind the constant recurrence of (false) moral dilemmas, such as those pertaining to adultery or abortion, as well as the annoying democracy-worship throughout the series, I'd certainly recommend watching it.

poiuytrewq0987
03-17-2010, 08:58 AM
I watched all episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and while the story is actually quite interesting, it is often intertwined with modern pseudo-progressive ideology. So, if you don't mind the constant recurrence of (false) moral dilemmas, such as those pertaining to adultery or abortion, as well as the annoying democracy-worship throughout the series, I'd certainly recommend watching it.

Yeah but that's to be expected from most films out of Hollywood though.

Cato
03-18-2010, 05:55 AM
I turned off and tuned out very late in the show, after Dualla blew her brains out- utterly tasteless (and I'm not easily shocked with what I watch). I watched the series finale, which left no real impression in my mind, and that's about it. I've not bothered with Caprica except the pilot episode(s).

All I can say, however, is Tricia Hellfer and Grace Park om nom nom nom.