PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Brown admits: I was wrong on defence spending

hereward
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Gordon Brown has admitted he was wrong to claim that he increased defence spending in real terms every year.
The Prime Minister said that claims he had made in the House of Commons and in evidence to Sir John Chilcot's Iraq Inquiry had been incorrect.
Mr Brown, who has faced intense criticism over his support for the Armed Forces, had repeatedly insisted that as Chancellor, he made real increases in the defence budget every year.
However, offcial figures from the Ministry of Defence show that, allowing for inflation, its budget fell in five years: 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2002 and 2007.
Challenged about his claim during Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Brown made a rare admission of errror.
"I do accept that in one or two years, defence expenditure did not rise in real terms," he told MPs.
Mr Brown said is now writing to Sir John Chilcot to amend his evidence to the inquiry. The Prime Minister's admission is a political victory for David Cameron, the Conservative leader, who challenged him about the figures last week in the Commons.
By amending his evidence to the Chilcot panel, Mr Brown may bolster the case for recalling him for another evidence session later this year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/7464554/Gordon-Brown-admits-I-was-wrong-on-defence-spending.html

It's ok jock, no one is listening.:mad:

Sol Invictus
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Tony Blair and Brown are a pair of sycophantic deceivers I can't wait until the day justice will be handed down to them. Treason is a very serious crime in Great Britain.

hereward
03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Once upon a time it was serious, now the act is carried out on a daily basis.