PDA

View Full Version : Sampolit Films

The Ripper
03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm sure some of you know the Sampolit youtube channel. He's a real video artist with a passion for Estonian and European history and militaria.

My personal favourite is this one from Estonian Victory Day Parade:

_UlmIP_bYjY

One about The War of Independence (with a Finnish march :) ) :

T52HA4xmun8

Narwa In Memory

T7UBfoU2LY0

He has many more. :)

Thulsa Doom
03-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Interesting clips. I had a relative in the SS XX. He fought 4 years in the frontline, came out without a scratch. Not bad considering he was in Demjansk among other things and later got in front of the execution patrol.

esaima
03-20-2010, 09:45 AM
It is wrong to associate Estonians with SS and other Nazi stuff. Yes, many Estonians, like my grandfather, fought in SS, but in Waffen-SS. The reason why they did it was that they tried to restore Estonian indipendence.They had no other choises: nobody wanted USSR occupants back in 1944.
The first Soviet occupation year 1940-1941 with murders, mass deportations (in 1941, many Estonians were forcefully conscripted into the Red Army- like my other grandfather-this conscription itself was a Soviet crime, too) etc. had been so awful that in July- August 1941 Estonians treated German army as liberator. Although it was just another occupying power.

But it does not mean what Estonians were or are Nazi fans.Nothing like that.
Estonia declared itself neutral in September 1939 like Finland, Sweden, Norway, Latvia etc.
Estonia was a victim of WW II. We lost everythig in that war-the independence.